• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2021

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If my expectations are really low and I just want to play as Drizzt and get some gear, will I enjoy it? I'm a big fan of the comics and wanted to at least give it a try. It's only $20.00 right now.
Obviously this type of thread isn't going to yield any good recommendations. For what it's worth, I was in the same boat as you when I started the game (no expectations, just wanted to fuck up some monsters as Drizzt and loot) but this game was bad in a lot of ways.

The movement seems like it was all being done server-side, similar to an MMO. Like, an MMO that had buggy netcode so you'd press a button and there would be some latency before you actually did what you pressed. Super jarring, especially because attacks almost had like another layer they had to go through to register. Press A -> wait a second -> guy on screen swings sword -> wait a second -> barrel breaks. Completely broke the immersion.

The loot is extremely "samey" which is extra disappointing because the world of Dungeons and Dragons has a pretty vast amount of really cool magical items. Instead, it's "do you want the green cape that gives you +1 to this stat, or the blue cape that gives you +1 to this other stat?" Almost all loot was stat based, and 99% of it is garbage. I beat the game, and didn't find anything at all that looked "unique".

The story is boring as hell. The locations can be neat sometimes but were overused. The "puzzle" elements were stupid and usually amounted to backtracking through a level to proceed forward.

I could be wrong, but you probably won't get $20 worth of enjoyment out of this game unless you are the type of gamer that's really into jank or you're a masochist.

Reactions: stn

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Don’t got to take a bite of a turd to know how it taste
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Ozzie666

I just looked this up. WTF. Like why even bother doing this. The only people interested in the character are old farts like me and they don't want to play a crap "reimagining" of the classic arcade game.
Sorry to ruin your day with this one. The stories about the developers threatening Reviewers for speaking their minds on the level of crap it is, is pretty funny too.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think people saying stuff like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank need to look again at th question, 'worst game of 2021'. Even if those games are not your thing, even if you really didnt 'get them', its painfully obvious that they are not terrible games, and a terrible game is what should be classed as 'the worst game of 2021'.
Yeah, it's pretty dumb they can't be reasonable. Many people don't care for lots of AAA titles but wouldn't mention them just to try to bait and console war.

Those choosing Returnal as the worst game released this year are trolling right? 😂
troll GIF
They are probably just bitter it's not on the plastic they worship.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm really struggling to think of a bad game I've played that also released this year.

The Ascent didn't manage to grab me I guess, but I wouldn't call that game bad by any means, at least based on what little I've played.

That haven't come out this year... I tried Arx Fatalis but that game was too fucking slow for me, left it at the Troll mines because I was tired of slowly walking through le brown corridor time and time again.

Markio128

I suppose I’ve got to choose the GTA collection and I have every right to because I bought the feckin’ thing. It’s perfectly playable, but there is obviously a lack of love in the remasters. Such a shame.

Kerotan

I didn't play a single bad game this year I don't think. Actually there was one. Bugsnax. Fuckin trash and gave up on the second level.

Aenima

RETURNAL, bf 2042 and gta.
Votes Returnal, but dosnt own a PS5. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

i really want a series x! was gonna get a PS5 because that's just what i always got...ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4...But not worth it imo. Xbox has more exclusives i'm interested in: halo, forza, flight sim, hellblade, starfield, elder scrolls. just wish it was in stock!! the series s is easily available but i want the best console i can get

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Votes Returnal, but dosnt own a PS5. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Do you need to have played a game to be able to dislike it? Not trying to shit on Returnal or anything, just asking in general.

Like for example I can see things in the GTA Trilogy that make me thing "hey this game fucking sucks" without even touching the thing, just going by the trailers. That doesn't happen to me with Returnal, but... maybe it does happen to him?

Aenima

Do you need to have played a game to be able to dislike it? Not trying to shit on Returnal or anything, just asking in general.

Like for example I can see things in the GTA Trilogy that make me thing "hey this game fucking sucks" without even touching the thing, just going by the trailers. That doesn't happen to me with Returnal, but... maybe it does happen to him?
Clearly the OP is asking whats the worst game ppl PLAYED! Not what worst game is not on my plastic box but i need to shit on it for console war points.

What's the worst game you played that came out in 2021?

Tschumi

Apparently the new Pathfinder game has a fatal flaw that makes it a giant chore

As for 2021 games I've played...
I know i made a thread about it but nobody's gonna read this, but i hate the xbox back compat release of ssx3 because it has the awful controls from the og controller...
Better to play the GameCube version in hd on retroarch

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Clearly the OP is asking whats the worst game ppl PLAYED! Not what worst game is not on my plastic box but i need to shit on it for console war points.
Fair point, didn't notice that in the OP's post.

If that's the case then I'm sad for those voting for the GTA Trilogy... Poor souls.

Apparently the new Pathfinder game has a fatal flaw that makes it a giant chore
Oh please don't tell me you can't marry the succubus. ;_;

Jennings

If my expectations are really low and I just want to play as Drizzt and get some gear, will I enjoy it? I'm a big fan of the comics and wanted to at least give it a try. It's only $20.00 right now.
If you have an Xbox or a gaming PC don't spend $20, spend $1 on a 30-day Microsoft Gamepass trial and try it there.

Personally I think the game is junk, and I went in with low expectations, but it was worse than I expected. IMO it's worse than the Avengers game, though some Avengers fans might disagree.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
jgm0zEh.jpg

My vote:
- Looks like a PS2 game, and I mean it literally;
- Runs like absolute shit even on XSX;
- Full of glitches;
- Basically no gameplay aside from going from A to B to advance the story;
- Story is just a ton of annoying fetch quests with shitty characters;
- Terribly designed map making you lose hours going around;
- Pathetic voice acting except maybe the main character;
- Absolutely zero fun activity whatsoever.

I gave it 10 fucking hours because I like Swery but he can fuck off and die at this point.
And the main character female....

urine in the street???

Last edited:

drotahorror

I didn't get much this year because it was so shit but, out of things I purchased, an Early Access title named "Graven" took the cake. What a piece of shit.

Kagey K

Banned
Has to be Destruction: All Stars and its not even close.

Lucky for Sony nobody played it, so it fell under the radar.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I didn't get much this year because it was so shit but, out of things I purchased, an Early Access title named "Graven" took the cake. What a piece of shit.
This year was actually quite good. There aren't many years that would stack against it.

Solid releases almost every month and not a lot of stinkers.

I certainly didn't do any favors to my backlog this year, with so many good games releasing.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Just off the top of my head I'd say guardians of the galaxy on ps5. It got decent reviews, went on sale fast and generally people really liked it.

I got about halfway through it and was done. Only controlling Peter, having to constantly tell your squad to use specials, the lack of a combat system like dragon age to automate npcs actions, the stupid group huddle, and just the button mashiness of the whole thing.

I didn't have any expectations when it was announced, got a little excited when the reviews came in, and just didn't care halfway through the game.

It gets my ambivalence award.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Just off the top of my head I'd say guardians of the galaxy on ps5. It got decent reviews, went on sale fast and generally people really liked it.

I got about halfway through it and was done. Only controlling Peter, having to constantly tell your squad to use specials, the lack of a combat system like dragon age to automate npcs actions, the stupid group huddle, and just the button mashiness of the whole thing.

I didn't have any expectations when it was announced, got a little excited when the reviews came in, and just didn't care halfway through the game.

It gets my ambivalence award.
I wouldn't say it is the worst as I have tried balan wonderworld.But yeah the action parts of the game were pretty boring, I would have liked it way more as a just narrative game with little action part.Because yeah the gameplay wasn't great but the characters and the story were good or at least close to the comics.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I was gonna say Dark Alliance despite managing to wring some small enjoyment out of it. At least before I got stuck.

But then I remembered I played the demo of Balan, and it was so bad I felt robbed of my time spent on that awful, awful demo.

So the fuck awful demo of Balan wins this one. Terrible, really.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I was gonna say Dark Alliance despite managing to wring some small enjoyment out of it. At least before I got stuck.

But then I remembered I played the demo of Balan, and it was so bad I felt robbed of my time spent on that awful, awful demo.

So the fuck awful demo of Balan wins this one. Terrible, really.
Yeah it is probably one of the worst game I have ever played.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah it is probably one of the worst game I have ever played.
I have no idea what Naka was thinking when they designed the gameplay for that game. Did nobody in his team say 'you know, this game just isn't very fun to play'? I kinda wanna get it for dirt cheap just out of morbid curiosity and because I like collecting legendarily shitty games like Sonic 06, Ride to Hell and Beverly Hills Cop for PS2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Worst game I played properly (and completed, actually) this year was probably 7 Minutes. Decent idea executed in game format poorly. Especially in a year with (at least) 2 other great timeloop based game it stuck out sorely.

Most disappointing was probably Kena, as absolutely gorgeous as that game is I just couldn't get excited to actually play the thing and dropped it halfway through. Felt like an extended tech demo.

Objectively the worst release this year was the GTA trilogy, what a fucking disaster.

Last edited:

Aldric

Haven't played a lot of games this year and I'm generally good at avoiding obvious stinkers so I'll say my biggest disappointment of the year was probably Kaze and the Wild Masks. I bought it because people said it was a great classic platformer inspired by DKC and it highlighted how hard it actually is to make games in this style. I already had a similar feeling with Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair and Kaze was more of the same. Terrible physics, limp feedback, Deviantart tier art direction, completely unremarkable OST, baffling tutorials where you get on screen prompts for certain actions while other crucial moves are omitted and the worst offender, a poorly placed camera which means you can't see some obstacles coming before you're too close to avoid them as if it was the original DKC on SNES.

I know it's unreasonable to expect a game of Tropical Freeze quality from a small indie studio but that was much worse than what I expected. Couldn't bring myself to finish it.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like the only person who had fun with dark alliance...
It got old quick, and I dropped it, but I enjoyed it enough to finish the game etc :)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ratchet and Clank.
DQN0ULd.gif

They added females. Prominently. Everything wrong in gaming.
6aZjnFj.gif

IMO The female protagonist isn't bad at all. I liked that character for the most parts. Kit, the depressed, needy, whiny Clank replacement was the character I hated with the fire of a thousand suns. She kept whining "I'm so lonely, nobody loves me or understands me, not even you, Ratchet, so I'll just go away and sob in a corner. Boohoohoo."

99987687.jpg

bender

What time is it?
The sad thing about the D&D game is as my buddy and I were trying Marvel's Avengers, we quickly started missing the train wreck that was Dark Alliance. Skatebird was fucking terrible too.

Of all the games I have played this year, I haven't played any games I thought were bad as in the entire existence of the game was terrible and should be thrown in a bonfire, but, though I actually did enjoy the game, CyberPunk falls in to that category for me because the failed hype and the glitches I had playing it. I finished it once and have no desire to every fire it up ever again, I traded it in as soon as I was done.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Come along and DANCE, everyone!
👯‍♂️👯‍♂️💃🕺👯‍♀️👯‍♀️

DANCE LIKE YOUR VERY SOUL DEPENDS ON IT!

...If it's not painfully obvious, I vote Balan Wonderworld as the worst game of 2021.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Returnal was my most disappointing game of last year but that is on me, no way should it be on any worst list.
It is a AAA quality game it just doesn't mesh with me at all.
I'm going to return to it with fresh eyes so hopefully it will click.
I really don't have a worst game, I usually am very selective on what I buy/play.

Top Bottom