• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst E3 In Recent Memory?

ZywyPL

Banned
The times of big events with fixed, annual dates like E3 are over because of sole reason that is current development time - back in the late 90s/early 2000 it took a year or two to make a full-fat AAA game, meaning that around any given show the games were nearly finished or at least halfway there, hence events like GC, E3, TGS etc. used to be so heavily content packed, with a ton of games to actually try out yourself at the booths, but today it takes a collaboration of multiple studios to get the job done in 3 years (with still a lot of work being done on day-1 patches after the game goes gold), 5-6 years if a single team wants to do all the job themselves. Sony doesn't even do their own Playstation Experience events anymore because of that exact same reason. People are expecting MS to make some sort of a breaking point that will give them the needed momentum, but that will never happen, they missed that opportunity, 10 years ago it was doable, but not today. The only proper way to show games nowadays is what Sony is doing with their State of Plays, when you show something when you have something.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Xbox and Devolver had good shows. Ubisoft was no worse than usual.

Capcom and Square Enix should have done a Sony and stayed away.

All down to Nintendo now. E3 is always theirs to lose.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I do prefer the E3s of the past. The ones where Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all had their own live shows. It was a spectacle and a celebration of gaming. Now it's just lifeless prerecorded shows.

Kimahri

Banned
Some of you have short memories. E3 died once already. Same reasons a bunch of people are spewing out now. For 2-3 years it was reduced to some tiny thing in small halls far away from the Staples Center. It was pitiful, really. Too expensive they said, no return on investment they said.

Then it came back with a bang, and it's been going until the pandemic hit. Sure, things have changed, the public has now been allowed to buy tickets just to make the experience unbearable for those who are there to work, and now everyone and their mums want their own streaming presentation. It's worse in a long time, but I have faith it'll be back in full swing again.

I just hope companies stop dorwning us in press conferences. We don't need one every day for weeks. We needd two days of events, like it used to be. It was intense, but fun.

The thing that needs to die is Summer Game Fest. Now there is some horrible shit.

cireza

Banned
Well people might not be satisfied by anything for some reasons, and certainly a lot of editors had awful shows, but Microsoft certainly delivered the goods. Can't help it if some people don't like MS and won't recognize a strong showing on their part.

There is still Nintendo coming.

Last edited:
E3 as a concept I'm in favor of but every conference this year was a complete embarrassment except for Nintendo and Microsoft.

I hope to god they do better next year.

Haggard

Banned
The idea that everyone has to have something big ready to show at the same time just doesn't seem to work well anymore.
Considering the amount of pure CGI trailers we always got instead of gameplay presentations it probably never did in the first place.
The big players are better off showing their hand based on their own timeline instead of an external one. They'll always get enough media coverage anyways thanks to the hordes of wannabe journalists and YouTube channels.
Classic E3 is finished and that's for the better imho.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

On this E3 i got a new trailer and release date of Elden Ring, a Ninja Gaiden meets Final Fantasy spin off game that looks cool, Metroid 5 ,new Zelda teaser, RE Village DLC announced and more.

i had fun 👍

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Reading all this I think I have my expectations tailored for next year.

Anyway the Direct format is the best thing ever. No more cringe audiences atleast, I will take that up thank you.

clem84

Gold Member
The Xbox conference was great. Nintendo's, not quite as much, but still very strong. I'm also pretty excited about the Amico. No jokes.

It was a pretty decent E3 if you ask me.

Top Bottom