• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst console launch in History.

GreatnessRD

Yooo, OP is a Mexican!?
Jre4QSa.png

#BuildTheWall
Please, never change. Ever. :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤝

Bodomism

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony disagrees with you. He says that PS5 launch titles are awful.

PUbFFmr.jpg
Not that I agree with him, but let's use sales number to judge that.

Nintendo Switch launch title sales in 1st week vs Hardware sold
Zelda BOTW
US(1month) - 906K hardware - BOTW - 925K
Japan - 330K hardware - BOTW 184K
UK - 80K hardware - BOTW 70K
France - 105K hardware - BOTW 91K
Spain - 45K hardware - BOTW 44K

Dark Souls Remake, Spiderman MM, and Sackboy
Japan - 118K hardware - DSR 18K, MM 18K, and Sackboy sub 2k.
UK - ?? Hardware - DSR ~17K, MM 57K, and Sackboy sub 9K.

More countries will be updated soon. For now Zelda BOTW alone is bigger than those PS5 launch titles.

Last edited:

Komatsu

As much as I love the console, the US launch of the SEGA Saturn was one big clusterfuck of incompetence. Springing the console on the public during E3 without making arrangements with the big retailers was truly one of the worst decisions taken by the Japanese leadership.

The PS5 launch shines brightly in comparison. Come on.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

With regards to PlayStation, this launch is similar in terms of hype and hysteria like what I saw during the PS2 launch back in 2000. Very similar.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Do you mean the worst Xbox launch in history?

Xbox One launch : FM5, Killer Instinct, Ryse Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3

Xbox Series X : Nothing

PS4 launch : Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall

PS5 launch : Demon Souls, Astros, Sackboy, Godfall, Spiderman Miles Morales

Xbox Series X launch game is worse than Xbox One

PS5 launch game is better than PS4

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Not sure I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread. I'm guessing its coming from most people who failed to get either console or the one they wanted.

The PS5 launch is by far the best and most exciting console launch I have experienced the only others that come close are the PS2 and the X360 and those are fairly far behind in terms of quality at launch and hype.

People stating no games are either willfully ignorant or simply miserable.

The PS5 has several extremely high quality games that are exclusive to the platform that need to be experienced before judged.

Spider man has incredible graphics and gameplay. Not to mention AAA production values the only comparible launch game from previous gens is what? Kameo? Black flag?

Then you have Demons Souls, I have never played a souls game before and I'm blown away., the visual fidelity is incredible and the gameplay is tight as f, SSX? Ryse?

Then you have the platformers, astros playroom is incredible I spent the launch day playing through the entire game its an experience ill remember in the future gens similar to when I got my snes as a child for Xmas and played Mario all day. Its golden and fantastic and as a 32 year old I was beaming from ear to ear and those kind of games aint my jam.

This launch has been an unbridled success for Sony and slightly lesser so MS.

Its not a lie the jump from PS4 to PS5 is much more significant than the hump from PS4 to PS3 for many more reasons but the best one is this launch simple FEELS next gen and its exciting.

The same thing is happening in Japan, if we take a look at the weekly sales on Japanese market before the releases of PS5, we could easily conclude that PS4 is no longer a priority in Japan for Sony as the sales has been drastically lower than anything before and just logically assumed Sony had freed the PS4 production channels and replace it with PS5 in order to prepare a bigger shipments size for Japan but in the end the result speaks for itself.

Either Sony is struggling with the production of PS5 which had been denied by Sony itself or the allocation size is significantly bigger in the US and UK that forces Sony to cut down the other markets shipment sizes.

They always allocate the big shipments to the US.
They do this because most gaming media are American, most ecelebs are American and the US is a big market.
Both Microsoft and Sony want to win in America.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dont be a warrior

Xbox had
gears tactics
The Falconeer
Tetris effect
Tell me why

Not a great launch line up on either. However the fact u guys keep saying xbox had nothing is pathetic.

No trying to be rude but did you just include Tetris?

And...

Tell me why !!

Ain't nothin' but a heartache:messenger_musical:

Tell me why:messenger_musical:

Ain't nothin' but a mistake:messenger_musical:

I never wanna hear you say:messenger_musical:

I want it that way:messenger_musical:

Last edited:

buenoblue

There's a "mysterious" third option in case some people didn't realize i.e. don't buy a next gen console... yet.

Demon's Souls is the only one on that list worth playing. Sackboy? Not my type of game. Godfall? Based on reviews, it's shit. Spider-Man is for people who like Spider-man. I'm not one of them.

7 years ago I picked up a launch ps4 because I liked the Killzone franchise. Meanwhile in 2020 I just don't see the same sort of "go buy one now!" reason. And no, that doesn't mean Xbox is better right now.

I'm playing killzone shadow fall right now at 60fps and it's glorious. My tv does a great job at upscaling and it still looks great graphically.

I look at it like this, if you were gonna buy it anyway in the next 18 months you might as well buy it now cause your not gonna save any substantial money waiting unless you wait years.

waquzy

Safe to say PS5 have it worst of all the Playstation release. The issue to me is not the lack of the unit but the reasons to buy one.

You can't be serious? Astrobot! Hello!!! Easily the best tech demo ever released, it's like playing in a huge imaginative PlayStation museum.

Malakhov

Banned
Do you mean the worst Xbox launch in history?

Xbox One launch : FM5, Killer Instinct, Ryse Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3

Xbox Series X : Nothing

PS4 launch : Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall

PS5 launch : Demon Souls, Astros, Sackboy, Godfall, Spiderman Miles Morales

Xbox Series X launch game is worse than Xbox One

PS5 launch game is better than PS4
Ps5 is one the best console launch I've ever had. Demon's souls and miles destroys everything else for me.

J____Av

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is betting than Switch outsells the ps5 in Japan in week 2.

He was laughing his ass off at the poor sales figure of the ps5.
Your friend is a dumb ass! Sales mean nothing early when they sell everything out

djjinx2

Dont be a warrior

Xbox had
gears tactics
The Falconeer
Tetris effect
Tell me why

Not a great launch line up on either. However the fact u guys keep saying xbox had nothing is pathetic.

Don't even bother, you will just get goalpost shifts or "those are terrible" spins.

Meanwhile I'm still in awe at gamepass and how many games I want to play.

Good games are good games, next gen or not.

Warriors will always push Spiderman and Demon's Souls in your face and make a lol joke.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was so excited. got my xbox and it lasted 4 days before it died. the PS5 doesn't have any games i want to play. well there's Demon's Souls which is a remaster of an 11 year old game... i've waited this long to play it so i'm sure i can hold off another few years.

i'll wait for the inevitable slim/pro revision. i'll wait for the hardware/software issues to be fixed and of course wait for games to play.

Last edited:

mejin

Soon S/X will be available everywhere and you'll still have difficult to get a PS5.

It doesn't matter if you get a PS5 right now, you'll get one eventually. Just relax.

GymWolf

Safe to say PS5 have it worst of all the Playstation release. The issue to me is not the lack of the unit but the reasons to buy one.
Not to sing praises for sony but demons and spidey are already a better launch line up than kz sf and knack or resistance and whatever was on launch day on ps3, even astro seems like a better cute little title compared to knack (i prefer knack because it's basically a brawler but that's another story)

You can still be uninterested of course but not for lack of good options.
(Okay maybe only 2-3 options are not a lot but you have third party games too in the mix)

oldergamer

No trying to be rude but did you just include Tetris?

And...

Tell me why !!

Ain't nothin' but a heartache:messenger_musical:

Ain't nothin' but a mistake:messenger_musical:

I never wanna hear you say:messenger_musical:

I want it that way:messenger_musical:
I listed games that came out. Tetris effect is actually enjoyable. Tell me why isnt my kind of game but its still first party.

Arun1910

I managed to get 2 PS5s on launch day for me and a mate so I thought it was fine.

I did a lot of planning, had about 7 tabs open for the launch, constant refreshes, if one fails go to the next.

oldergamer

Don't even bother, you will just get goalpost shifts or "those are terrible" spins.

Meanwhile I'm still in awe at gamepass and how many games I want to play.

Good games are good games, next gen or not.

Warriors will always push Spiderman and Demon's Souls in your face and make a lol joke.
I know. They will. I dint even bother listing free updates and extra content for first party games for that reason.

Ive been super impressed with gears tactics. Really fun strategy game with some super impressive graphic detail.

dalekjay

Worst in history , like Atari Jaguar is saved now.

To me is funny because countries near mine says is has shortage and all and I can walk to a store and buy both, I bought a series X while my elbow was over a ps5 (that I will buy eventually but I’m waiting ironically for it to have more games).
In short there’s many ways to besides buying directly a cable company also offers a ps5. But I know is a crazy exception because I see lots of Spaniards at the mall buying the consoles and it will not take long to have shortages.
For me whatever I will get ps5 only after they announce a date for GOW ragnarok. Until then I have 7 (or more) years of Xbox games to play.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
PS5
Demon's Souls
Sackboy
Godfall
Spider-Man

Xbox

None of that seems to be a reason to buy these consoles to me - and this is coming from someone that bought 4 generations of PlayStation and 3 generations of Xbox at launch. I think the final realization came when I got an email from Sony asking if I wanted to pre-order, and realized I didn't have any real interest in doing so. And no, this isn't an "I got an Xbox instead" post because I'm just as disinterested in that as I am the PS5.

I'm sure at some point there will be games on these machines that will make me want to buy them, but the launch lineup just doesn't do it for me.

i was so excited. got my xbox and it lasted 4 days before it died. the PS5 doesn't have any games i want to play. well there's Demon's Souls which is a remaster of an 11 year old game... i've waited this long to play it so i'm sure i can hold off another few years.

i'll wait for the inevitable slim/pro revision. i'll wait for the hardware/software issues to be fixed and of course wait for games to play.
Damn seriously? 4 days wtf???

None of that seems to be a reason to buy these consoles to me - and this is coming from someone that bought 4 generations of PlayStation and 3 generations of Xbox at launch. I think the final realization came when I got an email from Sony asking if I wanted to pre-order, and realized I didn't have any real interest in doing so. And no, this isn't an "I got an Xbox instead" post because I'm just as disinterested in that as I am the PS5.

I'm sure at some point there will be games on these machines that will make me want to buy them, but the launch lineup just doesn't do it for me.
You said all of this while have gotten past launch consoles. I cant even say you're entitled, just heavily dipped in rose tint.

ripeavocado

Banned
This, obviously due to various factors, including Covid-19, has been the worst console launch in history. I am not talking about the capabilities of the consoles or how amazing their titles are, but mainly due to factors that have to do with stock, distribution and logistics, it is a generation that must have been delayed a few months. Frustration is high, in Latin America the units are very limited, but not in the sense that Jim Ryan mentioned, in which he gives responsibility to the demand, which is certainly high, no, the available units are VERY limited, in a Sony's official store, in Latin America, the units available for the launch day were ..... 20.
How is it in your countries?
I insist, probably most users are not gonna like it but....due to covid, and to ensure stock in stores or to online sales....this gen should have been delayed a few months

it was going to be the worst even without covid19.

With the pandemic it became a joke.

Nothing works

The Shift

Banned
Nothing beats Dreamcast US launch:

Blue Stinger
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
NFL 2K
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

Blue Stinger baby! Blue fucking STINGER!!!!!

Nothing beats Dreamcast US launch:

Blue Stinger
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
NFL 2K
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

Blue Stinger baby! Blue fucking STINGER!!!!!
So the opposite of the thread then. Well played.😉

The Shift

Banned
So the opposite of the thread then. Well played.😉

Oh, I agree the PS5/Xbox Series launch content is staid, cynical and downright boring. It doesn't aid enthusiasm in that these new consoles are basically a GPU upgrade with a SSD quality of life update. More glaringly - the game makers are so established in the genres they produce and take no risks. A great time for a disruptive influence to enter the market but that's not happening anytime soon as Sony and Microsoft have sucked all the air out of the room.

Fitzchiv

I managed to win the preorder battle, but was thinking the other day how shit it is the amount of kids who will want one of these consoles for Christmas/parents who'll have to move heaven and earth to make it happen - and ultimately not get what they want.

This whole launch philosophy of aiming for the "holiday season" seems a complete farse to me. These consoles sell out. The demand is probably three times higher than availability, and that forces people to spend stupid money in order not the let the kids down. I've seen PS5 and XSX on eBay for upwards of £700, which is profit the companies aren't making, so if they're aiming for a "holiday launch" they should be making sure they have the stock available to let anyone who wants one, get one. They've already got a high price point which rules a few out, but for me it's pretty inexcusable that you aim for a time of year that maximises demand and specifically don't cater to it.

Fuck the pair of them for that to be honest.

Trimesh

Banned
You said all of this while have gotten past launch consoles. I cant even say you're entitled, just heavily dipped in rose tint.

Yeah, I got previous consoles because I could always find something I wanted to play in the lineup. Maybe it's also because the current generation has been a big disappointment to me and all the new consoles seem to be promising is more of the same half-cooked shit - except it's going to be shiny because it's ray-traced. As I said, I'm sure at some point there are going to be games that I want to play - but I haven't seen them yet and consider the hyped up pseudo enthusiasm about the crap that IS available makes me roll my eyes a lot.

PS1 Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
PS2 Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Armored Core 2
  • Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • SSX
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Midnight Club
PS3 Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Need for Speed Carbon
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Tony Hawk's Project 8
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
  • Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
  • Genji: Days of the Blade
PS4 Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Resogun
  • Super Motherload
XBOX Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Oddworld Munchs Oddysee
  • Amped

XBOX 360 Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Amped 3
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Gun
  • Kameo: Elements of Power
  • Peter Jacksons King Kong
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Quake 4
  • Ridge Racer 6
  • Tony Hawk American Wasteland
XBOX One Launch Titles (some not all):
  • Ryse
  • Killer Instinct
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Zoo Tycoon

Everything listed above was a better launch in terms of games, this new gen is total shit, "but my spidermans and astrobottttt and sackboy" yeah if you are 9 years old maybe thats cool. Demon Souls remake i could see be cool for lots of people, but thats 1 fucking game, every other console had diversity in games. So yeah, its the worst launch in memory, or maybe on par with ps4 and xbone (looking back on the bone it it actually had some interesting titles.)

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
There is no 1:1 comparison because Japan either launched first and alone like on PS1, 2 and 3 or later like on PS4.

This is the most "global" launch of either hardware manufacturer. Therefore the units are spread thinner across more markets

PS1:
  • JP: 3 December 1994
  • NA: 9 September 1995
  • EU: 29 September 1995
Launch: in US was 12 months after Japanese launch, Europe had to wait an additional 20 days

PS2:
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
Launch: in US was more than 7 months after Japanese launch, Europe had to wait an additional month

PS3:
  • JP: November 11, 2006
  • NA: November 17, 2006;
  • PAL: March 23, 2007;
Launch in Europe was four months after US/Jap

PS4:
  • NA: November 15, 2013
  • PAL: November 29, 2013
  • JP: February 22, 2014
Launch in Japan three months after US/Europe. Severe shortages in NA/EU for months.

PS5:
  • NA/JP: November 12, 2020
  • Rest of the world: November 19, 2020
Launch in Europe was only one week after US/Jap. I'm not suprised that there are severe shortages. But is there anyone in Europe who'd want Sony to release the PS5 first in Japan and the US, and then patiently wait till March 2021 for a European launch with plenty of PS5s to go around?

Last edited:
Rose tinted glasses are definitely on
Yeah, I got previous consoles because I could always find something I wanted to play in the lineup. Maybe it's also because the current generation has been a big disappointment to me and all the new consoles seem to be promising is more of the same half-cooked shit - except it's going to be shiny because it's ray-traced. As I said, I'm sure at some point there are going to be games that I want to play - but I haven't seen them yet and consider the hyped up pseudo enthusiasm about the crap that IS available makes me roll my eyes a lot.
So you really don't have any experience with prior console launches? Or you're just mad about the last gen not meeting you're needs and expected this one to scratch that itch because its new?

Top Bottom