• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands (PC) Discussion

Jooxed

Gold Member

Available for prepurchase today!

• Shadowlands will introduce a new leveling system, meant to provide a meaningful sense of advancement with every level achieved.
  • Current max-level characters will begin Shadowlands at level 50 and work toward the new level cap of 60.
  • Four Covenants to choose from: Kyrian, Night Fae, Venthyr, Necrolords.
  • We'll see Uther and Kael'thas again!
  • Five new zones - the gleaming fields of Bastion, the scarred battlefields of Maldraxxus, the eternal twilight of Ardenweald, the opulent keeps of Revendreth, and the horrific Maw
  • Select a Covenant and the Covenant Campaign grants new abilities as you level based on your choice, including class specific abilities.
  • Develop Soulbinds with specific Covenant members, which grant them access to that character’s specific traits and bonuses.
  • Torghast, Tower of the Damned - Highly replayable and inspired by roguelike games, explore its ever-changing halls and chambers and do battle with the minions of the Jailer, Torghast’s vile ruler.
  • Pandaren and all allied races will now be able to become Death Knights.
  • Three different digital pre-order options:
    • Base Edition - $39.99 SRP, providing a new lower entry point compared to previous expansions
    • Heroic Edition - ($59.99) includes the expansion; a level-120 character boost; and the Ensorcelled Everwyrm mount, which provides access to a questline through which players can earn the Vestments of the Eternal Traveler transmogrification set
    • Epic Edition - ($79.99) includes the Anima Wyrmling pet; the Wraithchill cosmetic weapon effect; the Eternal Traveler’s Hearthstone, designed with a unique visual effect; and 30 days of game time, in addition to all of the contents from the Heroic Edition.
  • All bonuses from the Heroic and Epic Editions are unlocked immediately upon pre-purchase.
  • Pre-purchasing any edition of Shadowlands will allow players to have Pandaren and allied race Death Knights once the Patch 8.3 is live.

Last edited:

Flintty

Lack of a level cap announcement in the trailer makes me think the level squish is real.

Very light on info compared to previous announcement trailers but I’m more excited for this than I was BFA.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Lack of a level cap announcement in the trailer makes me think the level squish is real.

Very light on info compared to previous announcement trailers but I’m more excited for this than I was BFA.

Im actually really hoping for the squish

RPGCrazied

Level cap nerf. That wasn't in the trailers. I'm hoping that means WoW will live on for decades to come. Maybe it might even outlast me.

Flintty

Im actually really hoping for the squish

Same here. They can’t keep going with such high levels and repeated stat squishes.

I’m pissed that Sylvanas solo’d LK though. Took me and 9 mates to do that back in the day, but I guess she out levelled him!

manfestival

Sylvanas the Mary Sue of WoW and her voice acting is annoying. I only tried the newer stuff cause I got into WoW classic but it feels like they are rushing to push out content instead of letting the gameplay out. WoW retail has some cool stuff but it is so overwhelming and it feels like a single player experience almost wrapped in a MMO. The stuff I was doing for Legion on my level 100 boosted character was... interesting

Jooxed

Gold Member
Same here. They can’t keep going with such high levels and repeated stat squishes.

I’m pissed that Sylvanas solo’d LK though. Took me and 9 mates to do that back in the day, but I guess she out levelled him!

• Shadowlands will introduce a new leveling system, meant to provide a meaningful sense of advancement with every level achieved.
  • Current max-level characters will begin Shadowlands at level 50 and work toward the new level cap of 60.
  • Five new zones - the gleaming fields of Bastion, the scarred battlefields of Maldraxxus, the eternal twilight of Ardenweald, the opulent keeps of Revendreth, and the horrific Maw
  • Select a Covenant and the Covenant Campaign grants new abilities as you level based on your choice, including class specific abilities.
  • Develop Soulbinds with specific Covenant members, which grant them access to that character’s specific traits and bonuses.
  • Torghast, Tower of the Damned - Highly replayable and inspired by roguelike games, explore its ever-changing halls and chambers and do battle with the minions of the Jailer, Torghast’s vile ruler.
    • Base Edition - $39.99 SRP, providing a new lower entry point compared to previous expansions
    • Heroic Edition - ($59.99) includes the expansion; a level-120 character boost; and the Ensorcelled Everwyrm mount, which provides access to a questline through which players can earn the Vestments of the Eternal Traveler transmogrification set
    • Epic Edition - ($79.99) includes the Anima Wyrmling pet; the Wraithchill cosmetic weapon effect; the Eternal Traveler’s Hearthstone, designed with a unique visual effect; and 30 days of game time, in addition to all of the contents from the Heroic Edition.
  • All bonuses from the Heroic and Epic Editions are unlocked immediately upon pre-purchase.
  • Pre-purchasing any edition of Shadowlands will allow players to have Pandaren and allied race Death Knights once the Patch 8.3 is live.

Flintty

Thank you!

Sounds good.

Helios

I didn't think Blizzard's writing could hit a new low after the shitfest that was the last expansion but by god they have done it, the absolute madmen. Literally what the fuck was the point of bolvar's entire character when Sylvanas can just break apart the helm.

Last edited:
That cinematic was an odd way of introducing new Stranger Things characters. New season in The Upside Down is going to be lit.

RPGCrazied

Feeling better about the level squish after learning you can take a newly made character and level it in any expansion before heading to shadowlands. Great. If I have to level up one more time through Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor I'mma scream.

Moneal

WOW's cinematics are always a great watch. Never been interested in the game though. Blizzard should think about making a full length film.
as others said they did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

It did ok in China, and there have been rumors of a second, but I doubt it. I thought it was a decent film. The CGI and Action set pieces were actually quite good. It had the problem of not going to much into the lore, and also going too far. There were a few really slow parts that the average movie goer wouldn't understand, since they were kinda fan service for warcraft lore lovers. Though, most of those types didn't like it due to not going far enough.

Blizzard just took a gigantic shit on everyone that put in hundreds of hours to get WoD, Legion, and BFA flying.

WellwornForkedArgali-size_restricted.gif

I unlocked Legion flying too and almost got BFA done. :/

Mitch

Banned
The level squish and streamlined leveling experience is a huge plus, especially for newer players.

I'm not sold on the COVENANT, though. Seems like another "temporary secondary power" feature that won't mean much in the end. I really loved artifact weapons as an extension of your class, so maybe this will take some aspects of that? I'm sure we'll learn more next year.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FFXIV leads, WoW follows.

What a time we live in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blizzard has done this for years. Remember when auto group loot was a thing in MMOs? WoW didn't bring it until after it started becoming popular feature.

I always get the expansions at launch but never go past 30 days of game time.

I don’t see how people can redo the same dungeons/raids for months. I do a dungeon 2-3 times and I’m ready to move on.

Last edited:

Hudo

FFXIV leads, WoW follows.

What a time we live in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is not to diss Blizzard but that's kinda what they've always been doing. Their games take the best/most popular features from other games and polish the hell out of those and make them accessible. That's how WoW initially started (Taking the EverQuest formula and make that accessible and polish it), that's what the RTS games were doing (taking from Dune/Command & Conquer and polish it) and that's also how Diablo came to be (taking the turn-based roguelikes and make that real-time and easier to pick up and play). That being said, they introduced some innovations here and there. The concept of instances in WoW, for example or the hero characters in WarCraft III. Overwatch is the same. They took the arena-based, class-based shooter and made something that's easy to pick up and understand.
There's nothing wrong with that approach! It also takes skill to take concepts and make them "mass-market compatible".

Gargus

Banned
I just can't get excited anymore. And I have my mage I started at launch way back when.

For the past I don't know 4 or 5 expansions this is what happens every single time.

Log in my mage, do all the quests, lfr for the dungeons and raids, unsubscribe till big content patch comes out with the final raids for the story and re subscribe, do new raids, cancel subscription. The end. I can't even be bothered to play one of my alts that I like.

I don't do pvp, no raids, don't farm rep or gear or anything. I blow through the content and quit because for a while now no matter what they do it always feels like it's just the same old thing. I feel like each expansion I'm just walking into an amusement park and follow the clearly marked signs leading to each ride where I go ride each ride and go home. I don't get a sense of any exploration or that I'm doing something other than being given a tour.

Muchacho

They did. It did as well as Diablo Immortal.
The Duncan Jones movie was good but not good enough.
I know that Immortal, although not out yet received mostly negative reviews. Not close to D4 but I'll give it a go when it comes out.

they did. It wasn’t very well received. Looked great though.
I enjoyed the movie. However I was referring to something more like Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Full CG full length film by Blizzard.

as others said they did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

It did ok in China, and there have been rumors of a second, but I doubt it. I thought it was a decent film. The CGI and Action set pieces were actually quite good. It had the problem of not going to much into the lore, and also going too far. There were a few really slow parts that the average movie goer wouldn't understand, since they were kinda fan service for warcraft lore lovers. Though, most of those types didn't like it due to not going far enough.
I actually watched it at Wanda cinema in China. Yeah the movie although good felt kinda surfacey. Too little character building and lore you're right. Some of the deleted scenes were pretty important.
But what I'd really like is a movie in this fashion:

ManaByte

The Duncan Jones movie was good but not good enough.
I know that Immortal, although not out yet received mostly negative reviews. Not close to D4 but I'll give it a go when it comes out.

I enjoyed the movie. However I was referring to something more like Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Full CG full length film by Blizzard.

I actually watched it at Wanda cinema in China. Yeah the movie although good felt kinda surfacey. Too little character building and lore you're right. Some of the deleted scenes were pretty important.
But what I'd really like is a movie in this fashion:

The problem with the Warcraft movie is they made a serious movie for lore nerds. That's now how you do a WoW movie.

You do a WoW movie about a group of normal non-heroes living in Azeroth who go on an adventure to save the world when something happens to the big name heroes a movie like that would normally focus on. Give it a tone like Ghostbusters and it'd bit the hit that the Warcraft movie wasn't.

Helios

The problem with the Warcraft movie is they made a serious movie for lore nerds. That's now how you do a WoW movie.
They made a serious movie for lore nerds while also having heavy retcons. So in the end it appealed to neither side. Except for Chinese people, apparently.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They made a serious movie for lore nerds while also having heavy retcons. So in the end it appealed to neither side. Except for Chinese people, apparently.

Is it a retcon if the movie is based on an alternate universe of Warcraft?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I only made it half way through the leveling experience last expansion. The game has gotten dumbed down so much and the story is really silly at this point.

Tritroid

Played the demo on the show floor; also posted a crowd reaction vid from the mythic stage (for people who like crowd reactions):

Overall I really like the concept, even tho there are so many things that we don't have answers to yet. I love the Scourge/LK/death storylines in WoW so this is right up my alley.

The convenants are cool, kinda seems like a throw back to Aldor/Scyer scenarios, I got to play around with the Kyrians in Bastion...I'll probably end up choosing them.

Last edited:

Xyphie

You just know some of the covenant abilities are going to be way better than others. Wanna play M+ seriously? Better have that one that lets you do the 10 second skip.

I hope Torghast is fun. Mage Tower and Greenfire were some of the best content pieces they've ever done.

Lanrutcon

Hopped on to my account that hasn't done anything in a year. Wtf is going on. Where am I.

I think I need turtleguymandude rep.

Dom1niqu3

Neo Member
WOW's cinematics are always a great watch. Never been interested in the game though. Blizzard should think about making a full length film.

Well, they did actually, lol. It is called Warcraft and it sucked as for me. And as for the game. It is becoming better and better. I agree Blizzard have had their falls, but Shadowlands is one of the most interesting expansions in the last five years. So you should really read more about World of Warcraft, here is a good post you should check out.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I always get the expansions at launch but never go past 30 days of game time.

I don’t see how people can redo the same dungeons/raids for months. I do a dungeon 2-3 times and I’m ready to move on.

Sounds like you primary plays single player games. You probably won't play the same multiplayer maps in Cod either because you already experienced them.

Top Bottom