• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT 10| Shadowbr... Shadowlands

Jooxed

Gold Member

6mNq1Q1.png

Shadowlands is World of Warcraft's new expansion, following Battle for Azeroth. This, WoW's eighth expansion, features the very first level squish, and new features such as Covenants, a procedurally generated mega-dungeon in Torghast, Tower of the Damned, and 6 new zones.

Expansion Story

RAeWGHQ.jpg

Covenants

Each zone of the Shadowlands has a covenant that rules over it, with each having a different goal and presence in their land. While they are usually united in the defense of the Shadowlands, players will find that the Jailer and his allies have sown seeds of distrust and outright war between the Covenants, a recurring theme which will be present during the whole Shadowlands leveling experience.

GPgloBe.jpg

IbSEi44.jpg

Wd2r8aX.jpg

6zRsLuW.jpg

New Leveling Path

UBlM2iZ.jpg

Expansion Pre-Orders
Shadowlands pre-orders started on November 1st. This time around, Shadowlands pre-orders have different tiers of rewards with different pricings:
  • Base Edition: ($39.99) Includes a pre-purchase* of World of Warcraft®: Shadowlands™ and early access to Death Knights for Allied Races and Pandaren starting with the Visions of N’Zoth content update.
  • Heroic Edition ($59.99): Includes everything in the Base Edition, plus instant access to a Level 120 Character Boost and the Ensorcelled Everwyrm flying mount. The flying mount grants a quest for the Vestments of the Eternal Traveler transmog set.
  • Epic Edition ($79.99): Includes everything in the Heroic Edition, plus 30 days of game time, the Anima Wyrmling pet, an otherworldly Eternal Traveler’s effect for your Hearthstone, and Illusion: Wraithchill, a cosmetic effect for your weapon. As with other Illusions, Wraithchill cannot be applied to certain weapon types.
  • Collector's Edition ($119.99): Includes everything in the Epic Edition, plus an Art of the Shadwolands book, the Collector's Edition Soundtrack key, a four-pin collector's set of Covenant Sigils, and a mousemat.
  • The Collector's Edition will be shipping from retailers beginning on October 13th so that you can have it in time for the official global launch.

OWGcTvN.jpg

If there's enough interest/people playing I will make a spreadsheet

Gaffers still playing WoW

Jooxed 50 Gnome Windwalker Monk Stormrage/ 50 Gnome Frost Mage

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do we know what happened to Arthas after he was thrown into the Maw?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It's lame, obviously, but I don't really understand why a real currency transmog is getting so much hate when they've been selling pets and mounts in the store for years. Any insight on that?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Any WOWhead can help me?

Last expansion i bought was this town build thing..
If i get shadowlands do i get ALL the content?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Any WOWhead can help me?

Last expansion i bought was this town build thing..
If i get shadowlands do i get ALL the content?

Yes, all content is bundled now and considered "base game"

It's lame, obviously, but I don't really understand why a real currency transmog is getting so much hate when they've been selling pets and mounts in the store for years. Any insight on that?

I don't mind the pets and stuff, for me the wings kinda take immersion out of it. Same reason i couldn't get into Aion or Guild Wars 2. But its just a personal preference.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't mind the pets and stuff, for me the wings kinda take immersion out of it. Same reason i couldn't get into Aion or Guild Wars 2. But its just a personal preference.

I just don't know if I'd even be able to pick them out of the overload of shit on the screen in modern WoW; people on flying dragons and wind serpents, helicopters and rockets, flaming birds and mammoths and unicorns and all sorts.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes, all content is bundled now and considered "base game"

Thanks dude!! def buying it!
You know any cheaper ways to snag it ?

JSoup

Banned
Do we know what happened to Arthas after he was thrown into the Maw?

Tormented by the Jailer, like every soul tossed into the Maw.
It's assumed we'll see him later on in the expansion.

While it looks odd, you can see how much work was put into it. Some people see this as a sign of things to come, that any interesting transmog at all will be put in the cash shop. GW2 and Black Desert both do this, the point that the base games gear is bland, forcing a player to spend money if they don't want to look like everyone else.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I pretty much missed the entire last xpac, even after purchasing it. Feeling a good vibe with Shadowlands though. Created a worgen rogue and have been working through Kul Tiras leveling content I missed.

Really love the character customization options. My worgen looks absolutely badass.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I usually buy each expansion, hit the cap and quit until the end of the expansion. Then I go through all the new stuff I missed quickly. With the current one I never made it to the cap since I got bored. I’m tempted to finish leveling now and give Shadowlands a try.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I usually buy each expansion, hit the cap and quit until the end of the expansion. Then I go through all the new stuff I missed quickly. With the current one I never made it to the cap since I got bored. I’m tempted to finish leveling now and give Shadowlands a try.

You should now that leveling is squished. I didn't like BFA, I usually do the same as you. Log on see the raids and stuff deactivate. Im optimistic about shadowlands

Flintty

Hyped for this. The rule of WoW expansions says this should be a good one.

EU Alliance Warlock main, but I have max level almost every class. (No Mage, DK, Hunter or Shaman).

Last edited:

Flintty

I'mma wait and see if people enjoy it as much as Legion and maybe will hop back in

BfA was boring af

I found the BFA Alliance story to be quite engaging. It was good to see a bit of Jaina’s story. I tried to level my Horde and that was boring as fuck, but then again I’m not heavily invested in the Horde.

My biggest concern is they’re still going down the borrowed power route instead of a new row in the talent tree. I’m fed up with that shit.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I found the BFA Alliance story to be quite engaging. It was good to see a bit of Jaina’s story. I tried to level my Horde and that was boring as fuck, but then again I’m not heavily invested in the Horde.

My biggest concern is they’re still going down the borrowed power route instead of a new row in the talent tree. I’m fed up with that shit.
No, I meant like the game play loop was boring af, and the dumbed down combat

Story has been shit for a while; western fantasy DragonBall Z kinda dumb shit

Flintty

No, I meant like the game play loop was boring af, and the dumbed down combat

Story has been shit for a while; western fantasy DragonBall Z kinda dumb shit

Fair enough. I agree with that regarding my Warlock. So many pointless changes and good spells removed. I’m glad to be getting some useful tools back for Shadowlands!

betrayal

Banned
I won't play Shadowlands anymore, because the "borrowed power" system is used too much nowadays. Also all the time you have to do task x every week or every day and for everything there are some weekly or daily caps + your character power is wiped every few months. For me this feels more like a mobile game and there are just way too much gated experiences.

TheContact

Can’t wait, seriously. Do we know what’ll happen to Sylvanas?

I hope they drop the equivalent of a Warcraft nuke on her and we never see her again because she's one of the most ridiculous cartoon villains the series has ever done. I was playing through WC3 again the other day and got through her Arc, and they did a good job with her even in vanilla but they absolutely killed anything good about her in BFA

and i don't really have feelings one way or another on this, but mankirk's wife is a super badass in the maw
SkdXULDXEiTVAqxLqDhjFf-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
I feel like all the extra systems added on are going to drag this expansion into the ground. I desperately want it to be great but I'm just very doubtful it will be halfway decent at best.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I feel like all the extra systems added on are going to drag this expansion into the ground. I desperately want it to be great but I'm just very doubtful it will be halfway decent at best.

Welcome to every expansion, please keep your hand inside the ride at all times.

TheContact

i don't see how they're going to be able to fix the issues with the covenants. it was a cool idea but poorly implemented in terms of having bis abilities and the cumbersome task of changing covenants (along with it not making much sense lore wise)

cucuchu

i don't see how they're going to be able to fix the issues with the covenants. it was a cool idea but poorly implemented in terms of having bis abilities and the cumbersome task of changing covenants (along with it not making much sense lore wise)

I was quite concerned with this since Mythic raiding/high'ish M+ is 99% of the reason I play WoW. It looks like it won't be too bad though. I'll be primarily playing a holy paladin but also playing ret depending on the healing comp optimal for any given boss during progression. In my example, going Kyrian provides me with a solid covenant ability for holy pal and a decent, not the best, ability for ret. But if you are wanting a covenant which gives you the most optimal ability for all of your specs for ALL content in the game, I can see the frustration. The devs have stated they want your covenant choice to basically be an extention of your character, just like choosing your spec/race/etc, so there will be some pro's and cons to whatever you choose.

draliko

damn i don't know why but every year i get the urge to come back to wow, for some time was quite a big part of my life (as every hardcore gamer in his 35/40s now, i believe) but i try to fight back :) I don't know why messing with mods, the initial levelling, the first dungeons always have a great charm on me (damn good memories that make us do stupid things :D), but i don't want to spend too much time playing, i know wow can monopolize your play time in a blink of an eye, so guys help me resisting while waiting for next gen consoles :D (the underlying problem is i got a lot picky on what i play, i don't have much time for playing so as soon as i feel a game starts to become a chore i leave it, but wow is a chore i still find funny somehow... damn)

turtlepowa

Banned
damn i don't know why but every year i get the urge to come back to wow, for some time was quite a big part of my life (as every hardcore gamer in his 35/40s now, i believe) but i try to fight back :) I don't know why messing with mods, the initial levelling, the first dungeons always have a great charm on me (damn good memories that make us do stupid things :D), but i don't want to spend too much time playing, i know wow can monopolize your play time in a blink of an eye, so guys help me resisting while waiting for next gen consoles :D (the underlying problem is i got a lot picky on what i play, i don't have much time for playing so as soon as i feel a game starts to become a chore i leave it, but wow is a chore i still find funny somehow... damn)
I tell you what helps me. Every time, i feel the need to play Wow, i level a char on a private The Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King PVP Server with 5-7x Experience. That takes me about 20 hours. Then i do some dungeons, some pvp and i'm done for 1-2 years.

Anyone else going to skip the expansion? My biggest gripe is honestly the class unpruning. That was literally the most interesting thing that was revealed regarding the expansion and it feels like they totally half-assed it. Covenants also seem like a mess as well and I'm not happy about overall story directions.

Probably going to just play Classic as I started subbing recently, just to check it out again and go back to Classic after having taken a year or so leave from WoW.

rinnfortehwin

Neo Member
YOoOo, shadowlands in a couple of weeks, my body is ready. Been playing wow since Open Beta and i finally hit Cutting Edge for the first time in BFA. Finally achieved something in my life.

JSoup

Banned
How’s the pre-patch events? Worth leveling my alts or just wait for the release?

The event is grindy and kinda neat for the rares, but it's nothing amazing. Main benefit is the catchup gear for fresh 50s and/or transmog collectors.

Top Bottom