• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Working Designs almost published Phantasy Star IV, Sega of America wanted it to fail

Valonquar

Jun 27, 2013
Winston Salem, NC
Sega is just embarrassing. Losing master copies of highly praised games, mismanaging international releases (if not ignoring them entirely), doing horrible things to the corpse of the Sonic franchise, etc. I'm surprised they haven't just cashed out and sold their titles to another dev by now... I guess they still make pretty big bank in Japan with the stuff we never get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Psxphile

Jan 5, 2012
Were there any other Mega CD or PC-CD RPGs with the same level of quality & quantity as Lunar: Eternal Blue's cutscenes?

There weren't dozens of Sega CD RPGs though? The only other notable ones I can think of for the Sega CD that didn't make it to the US were Arslan Senki and Record of Lodoss War.

I mean, if it wasn't for WD, Lunar probably wouldn't have been noticed period but it definitely didn't have very much competition on the hardware, lol.
Yes yes, that's why I threw in PC-Engine CD games too since they were trying similar things with the hardware. But I get your point, actual CD jrpgs on the platform that took advantage of the medium were in the extreme minority.

Eh, I get the complaints about the length of PS IV. It was pretty damn short.

So is Chrono Trigger if you stop to think about it.

FrontalMonk

Banned
Jun 7, 2011
Eh, I get the complaints about the length of PS IV. It was pretty damn short.

This actually pleases me greatly. I'm a big PS fan but never played more than the first 10 minutes of PSIV because I wanted to get through PSI and II first. I've been trying and failing to get through II for like 25 years now, and I just started a new playthrough like a month ago and I'm finally on Dezo for the first time.

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
The idea that any game should be a certain length a huge problem in gaming. A game should be as long or as short as it needs to be to be enjoyable. Anything more and it drags on and anything less and it's unsatisfying.

Windforce

May 25, 2013
I used to love Sega so much in the Genesis/Saturn/DC era, but they keep messing up still today. The amount of missed opportunities is simply staggering.

Streets of Rage, as an evolved open world beat-em-up, could be their Sleeping Dogs or GTA of today. I thought of it all the time as I played Sleeping Dogs.

Shining Force should be competing with Fire Emblem.

Phantasy Star is forgotten. I am playing both Phantasy Star Online 2 and Phantasy Star Nova in japanese because I got tired of waiting for a localization.

Virtua Fighter is dead and forgotten too, another waste of potential and crossover possibility (with Tekken, DoA, Fighting Vipers, ala Fighters Megamix).

Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Ristar, the list goes on.

It's such a mess I get depressed to talk about.

Astrael

Jan 23, 2016
Berkeley, CA
www.shadowdawngenesis.com
The idea that any game should be a certain length a huge problem in gaming. A game should be as long or as short as it needs to be to be enjoyable. Anything more and it drags on and anything less and it's unsatisfying.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. I almost exclusively play RPGs but I've never felt robbed playing a shorter 4-5 hour game, nor have I felt like I wasted my time with one that went on upwards of 100+ hours. Tend not to grind in games so I don't really feel like I'm padding out my play times, I just explore and try to get as much of the story as I can. That's really all I feel a game should have to strive for. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV were relatively short games by what came later but I played them so many times through I lost count; so, if PS4 is short, I think I can deal with that.

It's funny because I've been sitting on the Phantasy Star IV cart since 1996 and never played it because I don't own a Genesis. Someday soon I'll have to find one, this thread inspired me.

Wereroku

Jan 10, 2013
NC
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why we are so readily believing Vic on this.

When has Vic ever lied about one of his projects? Even when it comes to games people hate him for he is truthful. I mean he straight up says they changed Silhouette Mirage because of game return policies when he could make some bullshit about gameplay balance.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nov 3, 2007
I could probably dig up embarrassing usenet posts 15 year old me made in 1999 raging about how awful Bernie stolar was for Sega at the time. Still can't believe he was allowed to tank Sega in America like that

noquarter

Jul 13, 2009
Ted Woolsey didn't translate Phantasy Star IV....
Pretty sure he is just comparing a Ted Woolsey translation to a WD translation, not sayin that Ted Woolsey's PSIV translation was good.
Yes yes, that's why I threw in PC-Engine CD games too since they were trying similar things with the hardware. But I get your point, actual CD jrpgs on the platform that took advantage of the medium were in the extreme minority.

So is Chrono Trigger if you stop to think about it.
It is, if you stop after the first ending. New Game + made the game for me when I was younger, and getting different endings each of the five or six times I beat it really increased the length of the game in a way that didn't feel cheap.
That is the case now, but when you were paying $100 for a game, length did play a part in wether or not to get it. Asking your parents to get you a game that cost $100 then telling them you beat it a week later caused some parents to think games were rip-offs.

Qwark

Apr 22, 2014
Would PSIV have been in the Kalinske era or after he left? I have a lot of respect for him, I hope that's not unfounded.

This is all so sad, Sega has had so many great IP's that were mistreated into oblivion :/

uncledonnie

Banned
Mar 25, 2009
When has Vic ever lied about one of his projects? Even when it comes to games people hate him for he is truthful. I mean he straight up says they changed Silhouette Mirage because of game return policies when he could make some bullshit about gameplay balance.

I don't really think anyone is accusing him of lying so much as not not agreeing with his assumptions about SoA's motivations for releasing the game.

DarknessTear

Banned
Sep 5, 2005
Ohio
I more or less knew about Bernie Stolar's evilness already but every time I read about it it's still infuriating. What could have been...

That is such a goddamn tragedy. Camelot deserves better. The Shining Force III trilogy was a masterpiece and totally ahead of its time with the save-transfer thing.

Ted Woolsey didn't translate Phantasy Star IV....

I didn't say he did. I'm just saying pop culture references can be done right and used his work as an example.

Nairume

Banned
Jan 19, 2010
That's the thing, though. He has a history of making these huge one sided claims about how other companies frequently caused problems for him when its obvious nobody is ever going to bother calling him out on it. He blames retailers on the Silhouette Mirage changes, but then what was his excuse for bad difficulty changes to games that wouldn't run afoul of retailers being pissy about returns?

I want to believe Vic, because he definitely played an important role in increasing exposure on niche games in the west, but this just seems to be yet another case of "we would have totally been successful with this thing if it wasn't for other parties than me."

Which, yeah, is clearly true in some cases, but still comes off as trying to throw all the blame elsewhere.

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
That is the case now, but when you were paying $100 for a game, length did play a part in wether or not to get it. Asking your parents to get you a game that cost $100 then telling them you beat it a week later caused some parents to think games were rip-offs.

I played the original Shining Force almost non-stop for months and have beaten it hundreds of times. I can beat Sonic the Hedgehog in under an hour but that never stops me from going back to it. The difference is back in the day most games were worth returning to. I rarely buy new games because after I beat them once they get put on a shelf and collect dust but most of my retro games I can pick up, play for 15 minutes to days and then come back to it happily months or a year later.

I played the original Phantasy Star games for the first time probably about five years ago and I've beaten them 1, 2, and 4 probably a dozen times. I've only beaten 3 a few times.

I suspect that for most people back in the day if they owned a game they would go back to it whether they had beaten it or not. Even if it wasn't a great game, with so few games available we had little choice but to keep playing. Beating a game doesn't have to mean you've finished a game.

I would much rather play a short game that I will go back to than a game I'll forget about after a month.

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005

I don't know, probably because back in the day he was pretty big about not doing carts and really preferring to do CD games. So hearing he wanted to do a cart game is pretty out of character from what he was talking about back then. I mean sure maybe it's different because it's PS4 but still. A simpler explanation is that Sega knew the audience was small but rabid so you charge more and make more per unit with a smaller volume.

Wereroku

Jan 10, 2013
NC
That's the thing, though. He has a history of making these huge one sided claims about how other companies frequently caused problems for him when its obvious nobody is ever going to bother calling him out on it. He blames retailers on the Silhouette Mirage changes, but then what was his excuse for bad difficulty changes to games that wouldn't run afoul of retailers being pissy about returns?

I want to believe Vic, because he definitely played an important role in increasing exposure on niche games in the west, but this just seems to be yet another case of "we would have totally been successful with this thing if it wasn't for other parties than me."

Which, yeah, is clearly true in some cases, but still comes off as trying to throw all the blame elsewhere.

Which other games have bad difficulty stuff? I know Exile 2 was busted because of a coding error they introduced and couldn't get fixed.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
twitter.com
I wonder if PSIV would have seen support from Kalinske. Maybe not, but I can't imagine he would have actually tried to kill it like Stolar.
Am I being short sighted by saying SEGA were doing fine while Tom Kalinske was them? After his departure their US presence went the way of the dodo.
They weren't perfect (no one is), but they were a damn sight better and more successful than they were after he left.
Not surprised. SoA was a mess. They wanted to do their own shit compared to Japan, thinking they knew what was the best for the west. Turns out they didn't.
This isn't really true at all. I guess you could say try to point to Stolar, but that's really still not all on SoA since he was a product of SoJ meddling.

Kalinske did pretty well with his team figuring out what was best for the Western audiences. Read up on some of the things that Japan tried to force on them and tell me that Kalinske wasn't right about pushing back on a lot of them. Japan screwed SoA and the entire company royally.
Would PSIV have been in the Kalinske era or after he left? I have a lot of respect for him, I hope that's not unfounded.

This is all so sad, Sega has had so many great IP's that were mistreated into oblivion :/
If you read that snippet, it's referencing Stolar who was Kalinske's successor.

Nairume

Banned
Jan 19, 2010

It would have been Kalinkse given the timing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Jul 21, 2004
Mineral Town
Phantasy Star 1 - The only one that was on the Sega Master System. It's also the only one that has first-person perspective dungeons. Also noteworthy as one of the first major video games to star a female lead. A lot of people feel this has aged better than 2 & 3.
Whaaaat? Wonder if PS1 was on the Sega Channel back then. I remember loading up a PS game on there, finding first person dungeons and noping out super fast. Guess I should put giving the series a second try on a to do list or somethin'.

Streets of Rage, as an evolved open world beat-em-up, could be their Sleeping Dogs or GTA of today. I thought of it all the time as I played Sleeping Dogs.
Its call Yakuza these days.

Shining Force should be competing with Fire Emblem.
Wouldn't that mean they'd have ta turn it into Waifu Force?

Virtua Fighter is dead and forgotten too, another waste of potential and crossover possibility (with Tekken, DoA, Fighting Vipers, ala Fighters Megamix).
Noooo it'll be back someday! Believe! In the meantime its gotten love in DoA and the Project X Zone games!

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
Whaaaat? Wonder if PS1 was on the Sega Channel back then. I remember loading up a PS game on there, finding first person dungeons and noping out super fast. Guess I should put giving the series a second try on a to do list or somethin'.

It may have been. The Genesis included all of the components of the Master System as coprocessors so it wouldn't surprise me if they had it on Sega Channel once. Shining in the Darkness (the first in the Shining series) was also first person so you may have played that instead.

But Shining did become a waifu series.

Nairume

Banned
Jan 19, 2010
Which other games have bad difficulty stuff? I know Exile 2 was busted because of a coding error they introduced and couldn't get fixed.
Lunar 2's save system is the biggest example. Alundra also had weird changes where enemies had their health dropped down, but then their damage to Alundra jacked up to where to game got a reputation for being a lot harder than it originally was.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jul 23, 2010
www.metal-archives.com
I didn't say he did. I'm just saying pop culture references can be done right and used his work as an example.
Ah okay, fair enough.

I'm a big fan of Shining the Holy Ark.
They asked about Shining Ark, not Shining the Holy Ark. Just googling that game and it looks as horrendous and as anti-what-made-Shining-games-good as the rest of Tony Taka's shit-filled library.

(I actually just read a review complaining that "unlike past games" this one isn't a harem game, reviewer was disappointed.... uuuuugh)

To summarize for those unfamiliar with the Shining games, well, they used to look like this or this, instead of this. Sigh. :(

Oh you sweet summer child... xD Whenever people lament what Fire Emblem has become, I can only wish Shining Force wasn't so bad now. Fire Emblem fans don't know how good they have it.

Here's the Game Informer quote for Phantasy Star 4 (6/10 stars):

"I sat and played this game for about six hours, continually hoping that it would get better. The sorry part is that it never did. Unlike its preceding games, this game goes way too fast. To tell the truth, I will probably play Phantasy Star III, quite possibly, Shining Force II more than PS IV." -Ross, The Rebel Gamer
lol, what a weirdo. PS IV's pacing is one of its greatest strengths.

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
Ah okay, fair enough.

They asked about Shining Ark, not Shining the Holy Ark. Just googling that game and it looks as horrendous and as anti-what-made-Shining-games-good as the rest of Tony Taka's shit-filled library.

(I actually just read a review complaining that "unlike past games" this one isn't a harem game, reviewer was disappointed.... uuuuugh)

To summarize for those unfamiliar with the Shining games, well, they used to look like this or this, instead of this. Sigh. :(

Oh you sweet summer child... xD Whenever people lament what Fire Emblem has become, I can only wish Shining Force wasn't so bad now. Fire Emblem fans don't know how good they have it.

lol, what a weirdo. PS IV's pacing is one of its greatest strengths.

The original Shining series wasn't immune to a bit of ecchi here and there but it wasn't its sole purpose.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Jul 21, 2004
Mineral Town
It may have been. The Genesis included all of the components of the Master System as coprocessors so it wouldn't surprise me if they had it on Sega Channel once. Shining in the Darkness (the first in the Shining series) was also first person so you may have played that instead.
I totally did play SitD as well but def a PS game as well. So maybe the first one was on there. It did have all kinds of stuff even games not released here!

But Shining did become a waifu series.
Ya I know about 'em but those are "Shining" in name only games. I'm talkin' bout if Camelot had been kept on the series to this day. Would they have gone down a similar route as FE?

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
I totally did play SitD as well but def a PS game as well. So maybe the first one was on there. It did have all kinds of stuff even games not released here!

Ya I know about 'em but those are "Shining" in name only games. I'm talkin' bout if Camelot had been kept on the series to this day. Would they have gone down a similar route as FE?

Phantasy Star also existed on the Mega Drive so it's possible that they were testing it on Sega Channel at some point to gauge interest.

If Camelot Shining continued as a Japan focused franchise it probably would have had a bit of waifuness too. It's too bad Camelot's output is so low because we can't really judge based on what they are currently doing.

PHOENIXZERO

Jan 7, 2007
Can't say I'm surprised, I'm pretty sure I've heard Bernie Stolar stories before. Not to mention how disconnected Sega of Japan was.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jul 23, 2010
www.metal-archives.com
The original Shining series wasn't immune to a bit of ecchi here and there but it wasn't its sole purpose.
Wot

Ah yeah. That, I don't know. I'm guessing not. Golden Sun had no hint of that kind of stuff either but then, even those games are old by now.

Exis

Jun 22, 2004
I played Phantasy Star on the master system as a kid and bought all of them as they came out, pretty sure it is the most expensive game I bought back then.
It was my favorite gaming series of all time although I stopped after PSO on dreamcast as all those seem the same. I think four was the best of the bunch but the concepts in the first are pretty original for the time- except for the Star Wars ripoff stuff.

Novel Mike

Jun 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of Shining the Holy Ark. The level design has a lot of interesting gimmicks (like a dungeon where you have to walk on the ceiling or a dungeon where a giant snake blocks your path) & it's a nice change of pace to have a dungeon crawler with premade characters.

Fun fact, according to defunctgames.com, the average review scores at the time (based on the major magazines back then) for the Genesis Phantasy Star games were as follows:

PS2 - 81%
PS3 - 82%
PS4 - 79%

Yep, that's right, the black sheep of the series got the highest average review scores & the game that everyone considers by far the best in the series these days got the lowest.

"I sat and played this game for about six hours, continually hoping that it would get better. The sorry part is that it never did. Unlike its preceding games, this game goes way too fast. To tell the truth, I will probably play Phantasy Star III, quite possibly, Shining Force II more than PS IV." -Ross, The Rebel Gamer
Yep I've seen that, crazy to think about now although to be fair in terms of length PS4 is relatively short, I played through it last year and only took me about 12 hours granted I've played that game through more then hundred times at this point (I'm not kidding about it being my favorite game XD) always got my 100$ out of that game!

I don't know if I've mentioned it on here but I originally was working on a Phantasy Star V fan game a long time ago (more then a decade now?) didn't ever make to much progress with the game itself but I had an outline of the story at one point I thought it was pretty damn great but sadly never did anything with it and greatly overestimated how hard making a game as a single person would be even using something like RPGmaker to do it.

It's still just crazy to me how badly Sega screwed up over the years and how they still manage to do so. Was talking about this with someone else in PM's but they have all these great IP and do jack all with them.

Fire Emblem is so huge in the west now Shining Force should be an easy cash in for 3DS/switch for Sega but nope only Shining games we get anymore are more like the Tales of series then anything else and they aren't as good as those (which is saying something since the last few Tales of games have been pretty meh or just outright bad).

Phantasy Star should be completing alongside the likes of Final Fantasy. Hell they dived into the MMO market several times now and PSO is still regarded quite well despite being massively flawed and I hear more people bring that up then FFXI anymore but they've focused so much on Online they don't seem to realize they have this epic single player RPG series they haven't done shit with in over 2 decades now which had such an interesting setup and location but nope doesn't seem like its ever going to happen. Hell we can't even get PSO2 in the west for some god awful reason, its pathetic.

It seems like the only series Sega seems to even care about catering to its fans anymore is the Sonic series which has some of the worst games in the companies entire history and somehow THAT is still going strong despite less then mediocre sales on the more resent games (although Sonic Mania will likely sell really fucking well).

I just mentioned a few RPG's above but Sega has SO MANY cool IP's they don't do anything with or what they've done was so lackluster they haven't bothered to do anything with it sense (Golden Axe) but they just don't seem to understand what they have and what they could do with it.

I don't think so, not with Camelot behind it. Golden Sun is pretty much what the normal Shining series would have been like with them at the helm. The difference between FE and SF to me was the huge narritive they had built with the Shining series, all of the games are interconnected in various ways (for the most part) and story was always a HUGE factor for them (and it can be argued story is one of the least important factors in many of the FE games).

Fun fact: Shining the Holy Arc takes place before SF3 and has one of the main characters of SF3 as a kid (Julian) and theres a small scene you can witness with a no name kid crying about his father being murdered by a monster (or something to that effect) which is in fact setting up Julian's main arc in SF3 and also showing how fucking far ahead Galm planned things... Going to spoiler tag this next part but just about Galm....
Galm was clearly being setup as the next big bad, he killing Julian's father setup Julian as the driving force behind SF3 Sceanrio 3 and what is ultimately brought down Bulzome. Galm foresaw and planned the downfall of his own brethrens resurrection decades in advance. He should rightfully be one of gamings most impressive villians but is so unknown in the west its just downright depressing.

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney
Perfect for a jrpg idea.

Stolar: Into the Dark Abyss. Have him as the final boss who can be killed with one slap to the face with the ultimate secret phantasy star iv cartridge weapon.

May 18, 2012
My dream existing IP project (after Lunar 3) would be to have the opportunity to remake Phantasy Star 2. I know there's a remake that already exists (Japanese only), but it was pretty conservative. Keep the world, characters, and some major story beats, but add some new scenarios, massively flesh everything out, revamp the gameplay, graphics/music update, etc.

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013

There's bits of perversion here and there in the series. It's pretty tame though. In Shining Force 1 you can find sexy outfits for Tao (bikini) and Anri (daring dress).

In Shining Force 2, you stumble across Sheela as she's bathing and for some reason she does a ridiculous dive out of the pond showing off her tiny naked sprite.

In STHA and SF3, there's a thong item. In Shining Force 3 you dig through people's drawers which occasionally results in "WOW there is some amazing underwear in here!" Also, Hedva is practically naked with a spell animation that is designed to show off her panties.

All in all, it's extremely minor compared to what came after.

My dream existing IP project (after Lunar 3) would be to have the opportunity to remake Phantasy Star 2. I know there's a remake that already exists (Japanese only), but it was pretty conservative. Keep the world, characters, and some major story beats, but add some new scenarios, massively flesh everything out, revamp the gameplay, graphics/music update, etc.

I need this.

Chie Satonaka

May 19, 2011
Wow. Phantasy Star IV is legit one of my favorite games of all time.

The person who introduced me to Genesis RPGs fucking saved FOREVER so they could buy that game. 100 dollars is a lot of money when you're a kid with no job!

I love learning about the ends and outs of stuff like this. Thanks!

RRockman

Banned
May 19, 2016

I would have killed for this. Fates turned me off and now the only way I can get my strategy fix is the SD Gundam games.

Wilsongt

Jul 17, 2007
I'm a big fan of Shining the Holy Ark. The level design has a lot of interesting gimmicks (like a dungeon where you have to walk on the ceiling or a dungeon where a giant snake blocks your path) & it's a nice change of pace to have a dungeon crawler with premade characters.

Fun fact, according to defunctgames.com, the average review scores at the time (based on the major magazines back then) for the Genesis Phantasy Star games were as follows:

PS2 - 81%
PS3 - 82%
PS4 - 79%

Yep, that's right, the black sheep of the series got the highest average review scores & the game that everyone considers by far the best in the series these days got the lowest.

Shining Ark and Shining the Holy Ark are two completely different games.

Of Sega's new Shining output, of the ones we actually got, Shining Force Exa snd Shining Force Feather were the best.

Wilsongt

Jul 17, 2007
There's bits of perversion here and there in the series. It's pretty tame though. In Shining Force 1 you can find sexy outfits for Tao (bikini) and Anri (daring dress).

In Shining Force 2, you stumble across Sheela as she's bathing and for some reason she does a ridiculous dive out of the pond showing off her tiny naked sprite.

In STHA and SF3, there's a thong item. In Shining Force 3 you dig through people's drawers which occasionally results in "WOW there is some amazing underwear in here!" Also, Hedva is practically naked with a spell animation that is designed to show off her panties.

All in all, it's extremely minor compared to what came after.

I need this.

Hedoba is the first example I can remember of losing clothing as she promoted.

Laevateinn

Aug 7, 2013
Ah, Bernie Stolar. The man responsible for turning me into an import-only gamer for several years.

This is actual Tom Kalinske's fault.

Which Sega of America chairman is most hated I wonder. Bernie "Saturn Killer" Stolar or Peter "Selling Out Shenmue" Moore?