• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy - Asha in Monster World Announced, Led By Series Creator

UnNamed

Banned
THIS is what the Wonder Boy III reskin and Monster Boy should have looked like. They nailed it.
NO.gif

In any case, better than the original reveal.

At best, newer trailers suggest its developers addressed the shimmering edges from the first reveal, though I'll be curious to see how the Switch and PS4 version compare. Normally, I wouldn't even be bothered with the Switch release, but it's the only one with the original game on-disc.

Mopey bloke

This looks like it will be faster than the original, which is a plus. Thought I didn't realise this would be a remake.
I hope they allow you to play the old game's ost so we can complain it doesn't sound accuracte to model 1 Mega Drive hardware.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World reviewed by Alex Santa Maria on Nintendo Switch. Also available on PlayStation 4.

"Despite a few bright spots, it's hard to recommend Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World to anyone who's not already invested in some way in this old-school platformer series. This is an authentic remake to be sure, but it's bogged down in outdated design and new graphics that are hit and miss at best. Anyone who's explored the world of retro games knows that there are plenty of skippable entries in any console's library, and Asha's journey will go down as such on Nintendo Switch and PS4."

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is better than I expected based on the first trailer. It's a solid remake. It doesn't add a ton to the original, but it does add some new secrets to find expands the levels slightly in spots and adds some quality of life improvements.

The retail version also has the original game which is nice. I really love this game, although the level design feels a little thin after playing Monster Boy. Still, I am having a lot of fun revisiting it.

Soltype

I got to say they did a really good job on the music, it doesn't stray too far from the Genesis originals. The game also looks as charming as the original definitely going to pick this up when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Bar81

Not sure why this exists, the original looks way better, the new art style is not an improvement. But at least each buyer should have access to the original.

cireza

Banned
So I played the game on Switch (I already know the original very well). I thought that it was ok, I had a lot of fun and it was very close to the original game.

However on Switch, performance was pretty bad. What a joke this console is.

Sentenza

THIS is what the Wonder Boy III reskin and Monster Boy should have looked like. They nailed it.
This reads like a parody.
Monster Boy was an excellent remake/reimaging/reboot/whatever.
This looks like cheap crap.

Last edited:

LMJ

So many unnessacary big jumps lol, she can jump those tiny gaps fine by herself you silly reviewer

Not sure why this exists, the original looks way better, the new art style is not an improvement. But at least each buyer should have access to the original.
Because it's a fresh coat of paint on a beloved old Ip and if we get enough customers we may get an actual sequel or a spinoff like Monster boy (get that game FYI)
never heard of it.
...Yes you have lol, you're in the thread referencing it now, that's something you say in passing not in an informative article discussing it lol

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So many unnessacary big jumps lol, she can jump those tiny gaps fine by herself you silly reviewer

Because it's a fresh coat of paint on a beloved old Ip and if we get enough customers we may get an actual sequel or a spinoff like Monster boy (get that game FYI)

...Yes you have lol, you're in the thread referencing it now, that's something you say in passing not in an informative article discussing it lol
but i never heard of it, i do know who is astro boy

RoboEight

Been playing through this and it's pretty great so far. Visually it's nice, the soundtrack is really good and it's faithful to the original which is what I like. I'm really glad the Wonder boy series has gotten some really great entries the last few years and I hope we see more going forward.

Top Bottom