• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Pleads Not Guilty In Sandy Hook Parent Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
right?? we can all agree that taking the law into your own hands is illegal.

but doesnt it ignore that these people were made to believe there was literally no other option?

they should be charged for breaking the law. i just think steps need to be made to prevent the people who made them believe this shit, able to do so.
I agree. Deliberately misinforming people to incite harm on others should be a crime.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To these people, no one ever dies. The world is full of actors and Youtube creators are full blown long distance CSI experts.

I get conspiracies about aliens or whatever but these are people who have their loved ones. I can't even wrap my head around it.

Had she not become twisted, this woman might have otherwise been someone who deserved only empathy. She looks to be alone, in failing health. But maybe because of that, it was easy for her to grow to hate a bunch of people she didn't even know who generally looked to be much more fortunate in life and were grieving over a loss. And who, as a group, had received nationwide sympathy.

A pretty common theme among people who believe innocent victims are faking a tragedy is resentment at the sympathy the victims receive. Some people feel they've never gotten a break - they might even be right - and from there seek to persecute others for getting the compassionate outreach they never did.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She should have pled guilty and apologized - and then Sandy Hook truthers could say she was a government double flase flag stooge. And I'm not kidding, that's what would happen. Probably has already happened. Alex Jones should be jailed for the PizzaGate stuff. That might actually send a message.

commedieu

Banned
this is what im saying, dont these companies bare some responsibility here? you say hopefully that person fact checks before they do this dumb shit. Hopefully! But to them, the facts are all lies.

yes i agree the person breaking the law is at fault. but there are VAST swaths of people that believe breaking the law and doing this is literally the only option.

arrest the woman that made death threats. you caught one. great job. theres 1000 more out there and there is some asshole getting paid to write it to them daily. isnt that a bigger issue? idk.

idk wtf to do.

Law is meant to deter people from breaking it. It's never going to get 100% of everyone. Fake news needs to be rated fake by isps, or content providers, something. There needs to be a reputable source of validation for media. We just let that all go. Journalism has no integrity now. And it doesn't seem there is a demand for it.

But banning or fining, by a government body, will clearly be fertile ground for bias to develop.

Maybe, the same way it's illegal to yell fire... it should be the same way for clearly fake news. I just worry putting Republicans ahead of the board of what is fake or not.. in this world, I'd imagine states denying information about the flint water crisis for example. As they'd need to be verified by some system or form of government.

She should have pled guilty and apologized - and then Sandy Hook truthers could say she was a government double flase flag stooge. And I'm not kidding, that's what would happen. Probably has already happened. Alex Jones should be jailed for the PizzaGate stuff. That might actually send a message.

oh no youre absolutely right.

there is no conversation with these people. this is their reality.

and i have no fucking idea how the country goes about changing that for a very very increasingly large number of people

Law is meant to deter people from breaking it. It's never going to get 100% of everyone. Fake news needs to be rated fake by isps, or content providers, something. There needs to be a reputable source of validation for media. We just let that all go. Journalism has no integrity now. And it doesn't seem there is a demand for it.

But banning or fining, by a government body, will clearly be fertile ground for bias to develop.

Maybe, the same way it's illegal to yell fire... it should be the same way for clearly fake news. I just worry putting Republicans ahead of the board of what is fake or not.. in this world, I'd imagine states denying information about the flint water crisis for example. As they'd need to be verified by some system or form of government.

it no doubt opens an insanely huge bag of worms. people are bias so how can even something set up to sort out bias, be unbiased?

commedieu

Banned
oh no youre absolutely right.

there is no conversation with these people. this is their reality.

and i have no fucking idea how the country goes about changing that for a very very increasingly large number of people

it no doubt opens an insanely huge bag of worms. people are bias so how can even something set up to sort out bias, be unbiased?

Voting system? Nope.

Select group of people? Nope.

Artificial intelligence? Maybe?

It's a large can of worms, as you should be able to write satire. Or Hillary Clinton is a lizard articles, and hell, even that she is running a sex ring. But the inquirer shouldn't be on the same level as a proper news agency. That's our problem now, is nonsense has the same coverage as actual news. People even met with the truth, will say it's a lie anyway, as I'm sure most realized this past thanksgiving...

Either we have that freedom, or we dont. But it will be abused. Any moderation. tough call.

Trump will figure it out tho!

FStop7

Banned
Brandon Florida, how did I know.

For those unfamiliar Brandon is deep middle class redneck territory, my parents live relatively nearby in a similar place.

FStop7

Banned
I agree. Deliberately misinforming people to incite harm on others should be a crime.

Shouting "fire" in a crowded theater is not protected speech and is absolutely treated as a crime. The same should apply to these conspiracy sites. They are shouting "fire" in a theater that holds millions of people.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Shouting "fire" in a crowded theater is not protected speech and is absolutely treated as a crime. The same should apply to these conspiracy sites. They are shouting "fire" in a theater that holds millions of people.
That's a good analogy. That's exactly what these sites are doing.

Audioboxer

I don't think I'll ever understand what goes on in the heads of Sandy Hook deniers.

As someone studying psychology I'll be fucked if I know either...

Trying to scientifically unwrap such a mind and get to the bottom of it is like finding a ring in a lake.

I mean individually you can sometimes uncover sad, twisted or ignorance based reasons, as a collective though just imagining multiple people believing Sandy Hook is a hoax makes you want to not wake up in the morning. It doesn't get much harder than trying to stomach conspiracy theories around the deaths of children.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I like it. Unfortunately, the incoming presidency is probably the worst possible time to institute such an edict.

"Wait, now we can hatch conspiracies and anyone that tries to dig into them can be locked up? Tremendous."

Talents

Banned
If something exists there is someone out there that claims it doesn't.

Yep. Got someone of facebook who thinks everything is a conspiracy. Chemtrails from planes, vaccination don't actually work and causes autism instead (didn't let his child get a vaccination), sandy hook, cure for cancer being withheld, viruses are man made, Earth is flat, and the most recent one being the Russian ambassador assassination was fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom