• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein devs MachineGames believe Epic and Steam competition is “good for the industry”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Now MachineGames – the developer of the Wolfenstein series for Bethesda since Wolfenstein: The New Order – has weighed in on the abundance of digital stores and the competition between Epic and Steam. We spoke to Kristoffer Kindh, senior level designer at MachineGames, who told us “competition is good for the industry. It’s good for everybody, because competition just makes us be better.”

Kindh added that “certain people don’t really appreciate it,” having this competition and these multiple storefronts. “They just want to have Steam because that’s what they’re used to. For myself it doesn’t really bother me that much at all, it’s just another store for me. I just have to remember all the passwords!”

The designer believes that this isn’t a new thing, and that it’s normal based on how many games there are these days. “The game market gets bigger, with more games getting released every day. My personal opinion is that it’s a natural growth, compared to how much game development is actually happening. ”

daninthemix

Translation: “I love giant bags of Epic money and our last game got ravaged on Steam.”
Erm, I'm not aware of any moneyhats for their games, and their games do pretty well on Steam.

Regardless of the issues with EGS - and there are many - his point stands. Competition is a good impetus for Valve to improve.

Erm, I'm not aware of any moneyhats for their games, and their games do pretty well on Steam.

Regardless of the issues with EGS - and there are many - his point stands. Competition is a good impetus for Valve to improve.

What Epic is doing isn't competition. It's a rich spoiled brat crying and stealing games from another child.

Denton

Competition - and capitalism - IS great.
But as wit most things in life, it is not black and white. Capitalism allows for both good and bad behaviour, and competition can be great and useful, or shitty and harmful. Exclusivity is the latter. That said I do not blame developers for wanting upfront money. Even if I do have more understanding for independent ones than those part of large publisher like Bethesda.

s34ab

Banned
But it's not competition. Epic Games isn't trying to offer a better alternative. They're simply money hatting developers to force people to use their shitty launcher.

Kacho

Gold Member

My post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Generally speaking, yes competition is good. Epic snatching up timed exclusives to drum up interest in their store is terrible though. The only reason developers keep droning on about "competition is good" is because they receive a larger cut there.

Top Bottom