• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem |OT| Diablo Who

A few non spoiler pics of the beginning area. Amazing atmosphere.

ShcHYsM.jpg

kQsZHgE.png

dr0JQ1i.png

When a wave swells it actually covers the rock with water where it lands and you see the water slowly recede off of the rock and become drier, well after the wave has gone. And the light from spells light up the surroundings and enemies appropriately. People really weren't lying when they said this is the best looking arpg they've ever seen. The only gripe I have so far is that my character doesn't cast a shadow. That and I couldn't find a way to turn off the UI for clean screens...

EDIT: When I say my character doesn't cast a shadow, I mean that it's not a dynamic one with the other lightning and spells.

Last edited:
A few non spoiler pics of the beginning area. Amazing atmosphere.

ShcHYsM.jpg

kQsZHgE.png

dr0JQ1i.png

When a wave swells it actually covers the rock with water where it lands and you see the water slowly recede off of the rock and become drier, well after the wave has gone. And the light from spells light up the surroundings and enemies appropriately. People really weren't lying when they said this is the best looking arpg they've ever seen. The only gripe I have so far is that my character doesn't cast a shadow. That and I couldn't find a way to turn off the UI for clean screens...

EDIT: When I say my character doesn't cast a shadow, I mean that it's not a dynamic one with the other lightning and spells.

Damn that looks crispy

How’s the performance? (What GPU running?)

Lanrutcon

Level 20something Exorcist. Dual pistols, landmines, gun turrets and silver bullets. Close to the end of chapter 1.

- I want to zoom out a bit. The zoom level is just a tad lower than your gun range.
- Game crashed a few times.
- Can't play online.
- Found 3 unique items so far...and 2 are duplicates. Boooooooo.
- Transmog is fucking pricey!

Edit: Performance is better than the beta. My 1070 can run everything at highest at 1920x1080 on 60fps without any microstutter or drops during big fights.

Last edited:
My curiosity got the best of me while waiting for servers to get sorted out, so I rolled a throwaway character offline just to tech test.

played for 30 minutes, had a blast, wasn’t really paying attention to details as I was just demo’ing the game for myself but at 1440p it ran at a smooth 60fps with everything maxed except shadows (I left on high). No stutters at all. Looks

I’m gonna finally try Grim Dawn and probably play that for a few weeks while this gets patched but I like what I saw so far, a lot

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not sure about this, first impressions not great, controls seem off, always have to click more than once just to loot, the cut scenes are clumsy, the va is like it's not even from the same scene, it feels disconnected, Idk. Hope it improves after getting into the meat of it. It's generally pretty, though the female model seems weird too.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Not sure about this, first impressions not great, controls seem off, always have to click more than once just to loot, the cut scenes are clumsy, the va is like it's not even from the same scene, it feels disconnected, Idk. Hope it improves after getting into the meat of it. It's pretty, though the female model seems weird.

How pic of female character for science.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Idk, maybe a case of Bayonetta limb length? It's okay when playing or I guess when you get fancy armors. And you can't customize the body or anything, you can't change the height or whatever so this isn't me choosing the max setting, you can only choose between different faces, skin tone, hair style/color & individual eye color.
wolcen_2020_02_14_02_6eje3.png

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I am going to murder this game over the weekend. What's the new max level?

I need an online skill tree for this so I theorycraft stuff. The whirling blades skill is fucking sweet, but I think the railgun pays off more if you're used to how it works. The turret is great and I'm goddamn keeping that (be sure to prioritize leveling it until 17 so it auto-targets enemies). I remember in the beta that the fully ugpraded turret (auto-targeting, +1 max, double fire) wrecked shit.

Oh, and anyone doing ranged: get to the piercing +1 node ASAP. It makes life so much easier. Night and day.

The attribute system vexes me because I'm not sure how to approach it yet. I'm just dumping everything into dex/toughness (5:1) atm.

Last edited:

Darkone

beside playing with friends what is the difference of playing online from offline?
it seemed the offline character is not available online?

Escara

Neo Member
Anyone tried the steam controller with this?
I tried one of the popular configs with my xbox controller and its runs well enough for ranged combat and spells.
Melee is a bit clunky tho and picking up stuff on the ground is a bit annoying.

Escara

Neo Member
beside playing with friends what is the difference of playing online from offline?
it seemed the offline character is not available online?
That's pretty much the only difference
You can't edit your online character in any way

GymWolf

I tried one of the popular configs with my xbox controller and its runs well enough for ranged combat and spells.
Melee is a bit clunky tho and picking up stuff on the ground is a bit annoying.
Thanks, but i kinda want perfect controls for a gamepad, not something half assed...
I need to see if profiles for steampad are less flawed.

GymWolf

And I'm done with the game. That went from 100 to 0 quick.

Episode 1 boss kills me in 2 hits when I'm 5 levels higher than him. Oh, an he's a 3 stage boss you have to start over every single time you die.
I read about this, try raising your health and shield, like a lot.
Some people said that if you make a not perfect build the first boss is very very rough to fight.
wow, damn, really? First I’ve heard of this
Nah,i'm reading literally everywhere that the first boss is a pain in the ass.

Lanrutcon

I read about this, try raising your health and shield, like a lot.
Some people said that if you make a not perfect build the first boss is very very rough to fight.

Nah,i'm reading literally everywhere that the first boss is a pain in the ass.

I went back to town, swapped all my gear for all my gold. All defensive stuff.

His phase 1 ranged attack drops me to 75% if one of the bullets from the spread clips me. Everything else puts me on near death in a single hit. His phase 3 aoe kills me from full health and shield. If I stop to attack, it locks me in the firing animation and I can't dodge roll.

Like, what the hell. This is on normal difficulty.

GymWolf

I went back to town, swapped all my gear for all my gold. All defensive stuff.

His phase 1 ranged attack drops me to 75% if one of the bullets from the spread clips me. Everything else puts me on near death in a single hit. His phase 3 aoe kills me from full health and shield. If I stop to attack, it locks me in the firing animation and I can't dodge roll.

Like, what the hell. This is on normal difficulty.
Read some guides for builds, it's probably the only solution.
Can't you switch to story difficulty? Isn't normal a little more difficult?

Lanrutcon

Read some guides for builds, it's probably the only solution.
Can't you switch to story difficulty? Isn't normal a little more difficult?

I'm going back through the episode, swapping to another weapon. Pistols are great if you don't have to dodge instakills every second. The animation is long and the game doesn't let you interrupt.

GymWolf

I'm going back through the episode, swapping to another weapon. Pistols are great if you don't have to dodge instakills every second. The animation is long and the game doesn't let you interrupt.
I'm gonna do a pistol\ranged character myself when controller support is gonna get patched.

Lanrutcon

Managed to kill the boss. The secret?

Respeccing my stats out of speed. Once my attacks were a lot slower, I could actually dodge. If you have a shitton of attack speed the "gap" between attack animations is so small it's almost impossible to get a dodge off.

GymWolf

Managed to kill the boss. The secret?

Respeccing my stats out of speed. Once my attacks were a lot slower, I could actually dodge. If you have a shitton of attack speed the "gap" between attack animations is so small it's almost impossible to get a dodge off.
Good to know for the future.

Nixonomics

Does anyone understand how to read the bars on the attribute screen? Hovering over them it says something like "the bars represent how many points you have allocated into this skill compared to what's expected at your level". I feel like it should be an easy concept to grasp but I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how it worked out visually last night.

I imagine it means if I have a large red bar with very little negative space at the end next to toughness I've invested heavily in that stat compared to what's recommended at my level. But I'm not positive. Any ideas?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm a mage kinda thingy. I stopped after beating the first episode boss. At least I think it was the first episode boss. He was pretty tough but I managed to kill him. My biggest thing is managing the resources bar. If I'm using a staff, I can only basic attack to get my willpower back? Isn't there a spell that consumes rage and gives willpower?

Does anyone understand how to read the bars on the attribute screen? Hovering over them it says something like "the bars represent how many points you have allocated into this skill compared to what's expected at your level". I feel like it should be an easy concept to grasp but I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how it worked out visually last night.

I imagine it means if I have a large red bar with very little negative space at the end next to toughness I've invested heavily in that stat compared to what's recommended at my level. But I'm not positive. Any ideas?

Also This ^^^

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Alright..

Still cant find anyone to join me...

Beat the cave monster on try #2 with Socerer at Lvl. 9
Soooooooo much kiting that bastard and using the annihilation beam on the adds.

Kinda winging things right now.
Hopefully my build isnt to fucked up.
23 Ferocity
35 Toughness
51 Agility
75 Wisdom

I'd love to play online but in my 10+ years of Steam I have zero friends. Nobody joins my public games. I see no option to join others games...

ID REALLY LIKE TO BUY THE HEAL SPELL!!...but nobody to play with lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

Man, the more I'm playing this the more shitty design decisions I'm seeing.

First thing I want to do is have the developer defend the attribute system. Let's start there.

GHG

Gold Member
Come on Phil get your wallet out this would be a great one to lockdown.

Or how about you get it on PC and play it like the rest of us instead of coming in here and corporate cheerleading?

Have you got a screenshot of what you're referring to?

When I level up I always expand the character screen so I can see what each option is doing numerically and go off that.

Freeman76

Or how about you get it on PC and play it like the rest of us instead of coming in here and corporate cheerleading?

GtFO you peanut. I dont like playing on PC, nothing wrong with a lighthearted poke, its only the same as others asking for controller support instead of kb+m. You sound like an era mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom