• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | Review Thread

LastBattle

In the second phase you should try and wait for the lunge which he winds up, and stay at medium range for it. Every deflect counts but focus on the red critcals and then guard or dodge through the normal swings.

You can hold guard LB/L1 and then hit B/O to deflect at any time. It helped a lot when I figured that out, because I first thought you should either wait to deflect OR guard but you can actually keep guard up a lot of the time and deflect from there. To mitigate some damage. With the Enhanced Defence wizardry + guard up I didnt take much damage from normal swings, except for draining the spirit bar..

But just focus on deflecting and punishing those until you get fatal strikes. And recast the enhanced defence each time hes down.

Thanks for the tips man! I had no idea you can block with LB. Must have missed that tutorial. I thought deflecting was the only means of blocking. That helped immensely. Beat him first try after your tips!

Elitro

The difficulty curve should be more even. You stomp everything on the map then die repeatedly on the bosses. Took me forever to down the first boss now im going through the same with the second.
The story is crap and the environment feels cheap but the parry mechanic is actually quite fun (never played sekiro).

FBeeEye

Banned
I had to uninstall this. I didn't realize this was a genre of games. I really don't get the appeal. What's with the Japanese? Do I receive great honor for subjecting myself to this?

I felt like I was being trolled on the first level. It saddens me that games like Jedi survivor wants to emulate this type of game. "Here's a parry, oh wait, you need to be perfect with your timing." "Here's a checkpoint, but its useless, enemies respawn."

Not my jam.

ungalo

Nah. Nioh & Stranger both play considerably differently than Wo Long. In fact having put a load of hours into Stranger actually made getting into this game a lot harder due to the different button configs.

The mistake I think is overlooking how important the RPG elements are, mainly because in every instance NG basically only requires a small fraction of the mechanics to be used. Whereas by the time you reach late or end-game cycles its basically mandatory that you need to know exactly how to create the right builds with your chosen fighting style. There are no shortcuts, you'll get annihilated otherwise.

As to bosses being "pretty mid", compared to what exactly? FROM has never made a game where every boss is an uber-differentiated classic! They recycle just as heavily, have more forgettable fights than memorable ones, and when they try and mix things up with spectacle they inevitably fall into gimmickry.

Sure, FROM are the champs at creating a grim-dark atmosphere and crafting complex interconnected worlds, but, Team Ninja, for my money are just better at the combat and RPG side. Their systems are deeper, more varied and interesting, and stay fresher for far longer.
I'm not saying it plays the same, but i think the similarities could've made worse impressions. In my context the game looks fresher in some of its design elements.

I can't see myself playing new game + and working hard on optimizing a build if i don't find the game fun enough on the first playthrough. I'm not saying it's not fun at all, far from that. But it's not like the core gameplay is going to change drastically, it's obvious to me that the parry mechanic is the center of the gameplay, regardless of the difficulty. From what i know it was simplified compared to Nioh in its core gameplay, and also in the RPG aspect (so the possibilities regarding the different builds are probably more restrained too).

As for the bosses, maybe i'm severe, i don't know. Again i can't directly compare something like that to From Software-game, design-wise. I just think there is less work put into it. Contrary to what you're saying i think in the last FS games the average level is pretty high for the main bosses, in terms of animations/patterns, chara-design, presentation and balance/design.

And it's not just the overall quality of the bosses that make you understand that you play a cheaper game than FS. Just the concept of the spirit gauge and the red attacks make most bosses very random. You can destroy them in less than a minute if you're lucky with patterns but it becomes a chore when they don't do any red attacks. The gap in difficulty is weird. Also bosses who use elemental attacks have obvious problems of visibility for example (like Zhang Liao).

I'm critical but again i don't think the game is bad, it's pretty fun, but somehow forgettable.

Last edited:
I had to uninstall this. I didn't realize this was a genre of games. I really don't get the appeal. What's with the Japanese? Do I receive great honor for subjecting myself to this?

I felt like I was being trolled on the first level. It saddens me that games like Jedi survivor wants to emulate this type of game. "Here's a parry, oh wait, you need to be perfect with your timing." "Here's a checkpoint, but its useless, enemies respawn."

Not my jam.

Honestly man, the parrys aren't that hard. It just takes a little patience and practice. It's very rhythmic. Once you get into it, it'll be a lot easier. I advise you just practice each type of the enemies. Tiger would be a good target practice for parties.

As for the checkpoint - no they are not useless. If you've taken damage and then you find a battle flag and place the banner, it instantly heals you to full and replenish your healing flask. Enemies DO NOT respawn, they ONLY respond if you actually interact with the flag AFTER it has been placed because the game assumes you wanted to level up. You can use the flags as free heals and replenishes if you play strategically and careful enough.

I've beaten the game last night, I never finished Nioh or Sekiro. Only the regular Soul's games and Bloodborne. At 81% trophies now, just farming collectibles. It was that bad.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
So I got to this area where I am completely dumbfounded. I have no idea how deep I am into the game, maybe halfway, but for some reason, on this particular level, I am suddenly getting one-shotted by mobs.

So far the game has been on the easier side of Soulsborne games, with the companion taking away heat and the generous level-up system, and I had virtually no issues (apart from that fucking copy-paste boss), but now I am running into mobs where I have to parry everything, absolutely everything, to survive.

I have likely built a weak character and need to do some upgrades, but so far, there is no thought put into my character because the game didn't demand it. Until now that is.

I don't mind it though, I actually sort of welcome it, but it really surprised me considering the game hasn't been that demanding (compared to FromSoftware games) to this point.

Last edited:
I beat it today...been playing since the new zealand time unlocked it or w/e and been sick in the house this weekend lol

Its pretty good, but they couldve been honest and called it Nioh 2.5 or Nioh 3 with a more casual approach to combat. Probably the easiest souls game IMO

Gonna go do some of the side stuff after playing some more octo traveler 2

So I got to this area where I am completely dumbfounded. I have no idea how deep I am into the game, maybe halfway, but for some reason, on this particular level, I am suddenly getting one-shotted by mobs.

So far the game has been on the easier side of Soulsborne games, with the companion taking away heat and the generous level-up system, and I had virtually no issues (apart from that fucking copy-paste boss), but now I am running into mobs where I have to parry everything, absolutely everything, to survive.

I have likely built a weak character and need to do some upgrades, but so far, there is no thought put into my character because the game didn't demand it. Until now that is.

I don't mind it though, I actually sort of welcome it, but it really surprised me considering the game hasn't been that demanding to this point.
I finished the game. Perhaps you can tell me exactly where you at snd what mobs your having difficulties with and I'll see if I can help out and throw some suggestions. Who was the last boss you fought? Or what is the name of the Battlefield your in now rather? And what are you stats look like ?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I didn’t find anything exceptional about the demo. Weird it’s getting such glowing reviews. but I’m also not the baseline of what people like today. 🤷‍♂️

Bragr

Banned
I finished the game. Perhaps you can tell me exactly where you at snd what mobs your having difficulties with and I'll see if I can help out and throw some suggestions. Who was the last boss you fought? Or what is the name of the Battlefield your in now rather?
I don't need help yet, I like figuring it out. I just fought the copy-paste boss, the one who multiplies. I am at the big battlefield with the commander under the big gate, and that guy floors me with one shot. I just figured out I have to go left and clear the path and I assume I have to get him last after I cleared the ramparts. I tried running past everyone to see where the next flag was, and the guy at the flag one-shotted me too like a bitch.

I like it though, I like that I have to put some thought into the systems, cause frankly, I have barely touched the wizard stuff and I am still using the yellow turban gear from the start. (I have upgraded that though). It's time I go back and gather some resources and bust out the cavalry gear.

Bragr

Banned
I beat it today...been playing since the new zealand time unlocked it or w/e and been sick in the house this weekend lol

Its pretty good, but they couldve been honest and called it Nioh 2.5 or Nioh 3 with a more casual approach to combat. Probably the easiest souls game IMO

Gonna go do some of the side stuff after playing some more octo traveler 2
How many hours did you use approximately? I heard anything from 20 hours to 40 hours. I'm at around 10 hours, I feel like I am far behind most people.

I don't need help yet, I like figuring it out. I just fought the copy-paste boss, the one who multiplies. I am at the big battlefield with the commander under the big gate, and that guy floors me with one shot. I just figured out I have to go left and clear the path and I assume I have to get him last after I cleared the ramparts. I tried running past everyone to see where the next flag was, and the guy at the flag one-shotted me too like a bitch.

I like it though, I like that I have to put some thought into the systems, cause frankly, I have barely touched the wizard stuff and I am still using the yellow turban gear from the start. (I have upgraded that though). It's time I go back and gather some resources and bust out the cavalry gear.
I see. Yeah I think by this point most of my gear was 4 Star (max legendary) with a few crafted upgrades, well armor anyways. My weapons a 3 star for a while with like +5 of an upgrade.

I personally went for earth and fire build. I was able to wear heavy armor with a 1 handed Sabre and still able to parry and dodge. If your equipment weight is too low, you won't be able to parry, why is why I went into earth virtue. The only wizardry spell I use is the one that buffs your weapon with lightning/thunder. If you hit them enough times, they get staggered snd give you a time window for extra dps. Really helps imo and does lighting damage on top of regular with the yellow color.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
How many hours did you use approximately? I heard anything from 20 hours to 40 hours. I'm at around 10 hours, I feel like I am far behind most people.
For beating it or for chasing the trophies? I was chasing trophies as I was beating the game. I got most of the collectibles with the exception of a few dragon vial essences, missing 2 golden cicadas and a few of the baby pandas that you feed. Got all of the lore collectibles thoglugh as I played through the game without using any guides I'd prolly say about 20 hours. I am an experienced player. So playtime will vary on your skill level and how good you are at exploring things naturally without looking stuff up. I am at the point where I'll at guides now since I did about 81% of the bulk of the trophies.

I got all the flags and did all of the sub battlefields. Those also have pandas to feed and stuff to collect (but not all of them, some are just battle arenas)

I have to look at my playtime, but ima say about 20 to 25 hours if I had to guess.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I see. Yeah I think by this point most of my gear was 4 Star (max legendary) with a few crafted upgrades, well armor anyways. My weapons a 3 star for a while with like +5 of an upgrade.

I personally went for earth and fire build. I was able to wear heavy armor with a 1 handed Sabre and still able to parry and dodge. If your equipment weight is too low, you won't be able to parry, why is why I went into earth virtue. The only wizardry spell I use is the one that buffs your weapon with lightning/thunder. If you hit them enough times, they get staggered snd give you a time window for extra dps. Really helps imo and does lighting damage on top of regular with the yellow color.
By equipment weight being too low to parry, do you mean that your stats need to be able to handle heavy armor, or that you need to gear low-weight to parry? I have been gearing low-weight, I thought that increased the parry window.

That boss who copy-paste himself, is that over halfway into the game?

By equipment weight being too low to parry, do you mean that your stats need to be able to handle heavy armor, or that you need to gear low-weight to parry? I have been gearing low-weight, I thought that increased the parry window.

That boss who copy-paste himself, is that over halfway into the game?
Yes, stats to handle heavy armor and more equipment load. You need to handle heavy armor otherwise, if you are wearing heavy armor you will NOT be able to parry if your Earth Virtue is too low. I went to heavy armor so I have more defense which is why I needed the earth virtue.

Zhang Rang is 8th boss out of the 21 in Wo Long Fallen Dynasty. You are almost halfway.

There are also 9 additional optional bosses, but those are in the Sub-Battlefield which are optional levels not part of the main story that unlock as you play through the game. You can find them in the travel menu where you can replay each of the levels.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just beat the most bullshit boss in the game (so far - Zhang Rang and his endless clones) and the game crashed immediately afterwards and didn't save my progress. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've been forgiving of the performance issues but crashes like that are just inexcusable. Team Ninja didn't even try with this PC port. They deserve the review bombing, and the person who designed this boss fight deserves a kick to the nuts.

Edit: managed to beat it again on my first try but skipped all the cutscenes afterwards so that it saves ASAP and didn't crash again lol
That boss sucks. I just beat that boss and he sucks.
the clones aren’t hard to finish off, but the position in which they put you in is random chances at getting electrocuted. Not to mention the boss himself has that air attack. Out of luck I survived long enough to kill him just by tapping the parry button.

Last edited:

mxbison

I just reached Part 4 and the difficulty feels really off.

First boss was tough but since then it's been really easy, I beat most bosses first try. I'm not even that good at these games but you can miss half your parrys just fine, hitting 3 or 4 against critical attacks is usually enough especially if you also summon the Divine Beast.

This also means the 20 items you get per level, gems, wizardry etc. don't really matter at all. You can just pick any weapon, ignore spells and easily beat the game. Just upgrade your stuff at the smith for more damage and defense.

Overall it's a fun game and I'll definitely keep going but it had potential for a lot more with some proper balancing.

decisions

Guess I’m in the minority but I just hit “that” boss fight after opening Hulao Gate and this is one of my favorite Souls games ever, right up there with Bloodborne and Sekiro.

I just think this game is more fun than most games. It’s not super deep, but everything that is here is super polished, satisfying, and aesthetically badass. The animations are just 100% masterful and all wonderfully crafted. I like how I can just pick different weapons and use them. I like how fast and fluid the game feels (finally a game that feels like it was made by the Ninja Gaiden team).

I don’t really care that there were moves in Nioh. The movesets in this game all look way cooler and feel way more satisfying. The parry is the best ever in a videogame, finally dethroning Sekiro in that mechanic.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
finally dethroning Sekiro in that mechanic.
Excuse me?
5a2.gif

After loving Stranger of Paradise and this game’s demo, I bought Nioh 2 and so far I regret it lol. Way, way, WAY too many systems/mechanics and it’s truly annoyingly difficult. I might end up pushing through and loving it like I did with Sekiro eventually, but I dunno. The art direction is so unbelievably bland and the story is uninteresting so all I have left is the annoying combat. I was able to push through Sekiro because I loved the exploration so much

Holy shit, I feel like this game shot itself in the foot in a big way with the first boss. It’s going to prevent a huge swath of gamers from proceeding further. The skill check is insane for the very beginning of the game. I’ve probably done 30 attempts now. However I doubt many will be as patient as me.

I went into this thinking it would be a fun challenge after recently finishing Sekiro. This fucker is close to the difficulty of Ishin Sword Saint. And it’s the very beginning of the game! Also the stun locks the boss put you in feel incredibly cheap and last for a good couple of seconds, leaving you completely vulnerable to additional attacks and subsequent stun Locks.

I’m going to persevere, and will defeat him eventually. Just feel like it’s a bit much. Rant over. Also what the fuck is the jade? What are you taking about bling fold guy!?
The first boss is indeed disgustingly difficult, but I think the learning curve in Sekiro and Nioh 2 are far more annoying.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
The parry is the best ever in a videogame, finally dethroning Sekiro in that mechanic.

Yeah, no.

It's a great game, though. Wanted to check it out yesterday, and a few hours later I found myself in area 4, wondering where the time had gone. Always a good sign.

Does anyone know if there are any particularly difficult or über grindy trophies in this?

Spainkiller

Considering how little you can block before your spirit gauge 'runs out', I'd say it's still pretty difficult, even for Souls standards. I'd say it's on par with the Niohs, though.

cireza

Banned
First boss sets the bar but it is not that high.

Hold LB and use B to parry. You have only a few attacks to learn (the boss doesn't have that many).

recma12

Considering how little you can block before your spirit gauge 'runs out', I'd say it's still pretty difficult, even for Souls standards. I'd say it's on par with the Niohs, though.

Wo Long is a more extreme version of Sekiro IMO
Difficulty 95% correlates with how good you are at parrying. If you try to chop away at a boss and retreat (like you do in Souls games) you will have a very hard time. There is also little build variety and I haven't seen any "Souls Rings (poison ring, HP ring etc)" yet that make bosses easier.

That said, Wo Long deflecting is actually more unforgiving than Sekiro bc blocking and deflecting are on different buttons.
In Sekiro it was both on LB/L1 and if you missed a parry, your block would still be up.
In Wo Long you need to hold down LB/L1 and press B/O to get the same "insurance block effect".

Spainkiller

Wo Long is a more extreme version of Sekiro IMO
Difficulty 95% correlates with how good you are at parrying. If you try to chop away at a boss and retreat (like you do in Souls games) you will have a very hard time. There is also little build variety and I haven't seen any "Souls Rings (poison ring, HP ring etc)" yet that make bosses easier.

That said, Wo Long deflecting is actually more unforgiving than Sekiro bc blocking and deflecting are on different buttons.
In Sekiro it was both on LB/L1 and if you missed a parry, your block would still be up.
In Wo Long you need to hold down LB/L1 and press B/O to get the same "insurance block effect".

Agreed.

Also: you can't spam deflect, as it'll just make you dodge.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only just beat the Boar boss but I feel like the game is fun when you aren't fighting a boss. Boss fights just amounts to playing a fighting game and perfect parrying red move. Becomes pretty annoying after a while if it just wants you to read inputs and understand when the hit collision is about to happen.

Very much a game about trial and error.

Mid-late game I've seen from others that a Mage build could be a lot of fun. Looking forward to that.

Spainkiller

Becomes pretty annoying after a while if it just wants you to read inputs and understand when the hit collision is about to happen.

Is this not every boss fight ever, LOL? Especially in soulslikes.

The only difference here in Wo Long is the emphasis on/importance of deflecting the red attacks.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The only difference here in Wo Long is the emphasis on/importance of deflecting the red attacks.
Feels like Nioh 2 Burst Counter: The Game in some cases. I think it'll take some time to get used to it.

I'd love if they gave the player the means to interrupt the unblockable attacks outside of breaking their spirit bar(stagger).

Is this not every boss fight ever, LOL? Especially in soulslikes.

Definitely wasn't the case with Nioh. You had much more freedom to play in a variety of ways. Parry, dodge, use correct tactical spacing, and attack however you feel is best using a mix of 3 stances, items and magic that were all viable. Here the attacks and spacing barely matter. Just hit the parry, because nothing else really even works.

Spainkiller

Definitely wasn't the case with Nioh. You had much more freedom to play in a variety of ways. Parry, dodge, use correct tactical spacing, and attack however you feel is best using a mix of 3 stances, items and magic that were all viable. Here the attacks and spacing barely matter. Just hit the parry, because nothing else really even works.

Read my post again (and what I'm replying to). Magius said that the boss fights boil down to "having to read inputs" (a.k.a. pattern/move recognition) and "understanding when hit collision is about to happen" (a.k.a. spacing and not getting hit, LOL).

Again, that's a distillation of every fight, ever. He's correct about Wo Long giving you different/less tools to play around with than, say, Nioh, within those parameters, but the foundation of recognising which moves a boss is about to do, and knowing when when to block, parry or roll based on things like positioning and hit boxes, is foundational to the entire genre (and perhaps even the entire medium).

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Its hard, its definitely harder then all the dark soul games, not as hard as sekiro or ninja gaiden though, best advise i can give you is parry every special move an enemy throws at you, doesn't matter what weapon you use because you'll always do huge damage, id also put alot of exp in everything except for metal (unless your really wanting to use magic but most bosses dont give you a chance to use them) but for the first 2 chapters definitely invest in wood and abit in fire and earth, water is decent to
Oh, the emphasis on parry I don't mind - Sekiro taught me to love it - but the execution here isn't great. Nioh's parrying system was always pretty lousy, largely because the animation and art direction don't really support it. Sekiro was better designed in this regard and makes strong use of colour, shape and motion to make enemies eminently readable.

Read my post again (and what I'm replying to). Magius said that the boss fights boil down to "having to read inputs" (a.k.a. pattern/move recognition) and "understanding when hit collision is about to happen" (a.k.a. spacing and not getting hit, LOL).

Again, that's a distillation of every fight, ever. He's correct about Wo Long giving you different/less tools to play around with than, say, Nioh, within those parameters, but the foundation of recognising which moves a boss is about to do, and knowing when when to block, parry or roll based on things like positioning and hit boxes, is foundational to the entire genre (and perhaps even the entire medium).
Sure, you have to look at inputs for any fight, or any video game ever. But in this game it's much more literal. It's not like you read the attack and decide to run away, or to attack before the attack connects and interrupt, or dodge or whatever (all with potentially different timing). The offense and the defense almost entirely consist of just the parry, which is one button press at one specific time. That's why people call Sekiro a rhythm game, because it's similar. They're referring to the extreme emphasis on parry, and lack of other alternative, viable options for playing effectively.

Spainkiller

OK, how the hell do you use throwing knives!? I have them equipped next to my bow, but no button combination I've tried let's me actually use them.

Spainkiller

NVM, figured it out. You have to swap out the bow like you swap out normal weapons. Tedious.

Sure, you have to look at inputs for any fight, or any video game ever. But in this game it's much more literal. It's not like you read the attack and decide to run away, or to attack before the attack connects and interrupt, or dodge or whatever (all with potentially different timing). The offense and the defense almost entirely consist of just the parry, which is one button press at one specific time. That's why people call Sekiro a rhythm game, because it's similar. They're referring to the extreme emphasis on parry, and lack of other alternative, viable options for playing effectively.

Yes, I know. I agree.

But, again: the wording was funny and had nothing to do with the parry.

Ywap

They should have had two difficulty options: Easy mode with companions and Normal without.

After the first boss i found out i could remove them so i could enjoy it the way i wanted to.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Started last night, beat the first boss and my initial thoughts are they expect you to dodge attacks and damage comes from dodge and stun. I don't know that it is really a dark souls type of game. I can see that influence but it feels a lot like Onimusha.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just a quick heads up on the PS5 version; Always use favour resolution mode especially if you are using a 1080p display. If you choose favour performance you will get sometimes get a weird scaler bug (often entering/exiting the menu at a flag) that shrinks the display. Very annoying as the shrunken image is always orientated to the top left corner of the screen leaving the rest of the frame undrawn.

Dunno how prevalent this issue is, but it happened in the demo too so it might only manifest with certain display setups. Not seen any reports about it online, but if it happens to you this is the fix.

draliko

Am I the only one with multiplayer problems on xsx? I get random error joining other requests (works 1 time out of 6/7) and even waiting for hours can't get a single player to join my game... Pls tell me I'm not alone in this😅

BbMajor7th

Following frustrations with Wo-Long, I decided to go back to Nioh and see if I'd been wearing rose-tinted glasses. I gotta say, Nioh holds up great, particularly in terms of level and environment design. It was never an outstanding looker, but comparing the first few levels of Nioh, with the first few levels of Wo-Long, the latter really comes out looking a whole lot worse: Nioh has the Tower of London, a fishing village, caves, and then a really cool temple in the pouring rain vs. Wo-Long's burning outpost after dark, desert outpost during the day, another outpost after dark. Plus, Nioh's performance on PS5 is flawless, despite looking just as good, if not better at times.

There's also a unique element to Nioh that seems to be missing in Wo-Long: the between-mission map screen. It really turns it into a game of two halves: one half is the action-combat meat of the game, but the map screen, feels like a separate management sim experience, where you break down, sell, or offer up all the goods you've found, reforge and refashion your best finds, sort your inventory. It's a really nice soothing contrast and it's very rewarding: if you spend time and do it right, it will make your life significantly easier when you head back into the fray.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Raising all the flags really makes a difference. Killed a larger enemy in part 4 by two to three critical attacks. Raised all the flags and it’s one critical attack parry, one swipe of the spirit attack button, and then finish them off with a critical. The time it took to critically attack the enemy reduces significantly.

I also like it where I can Travel to another sub mission and come right back to where I left off on the main mission. At first I thought they’d reset my progress. I’ve switched from sword to dual halberds, and now to polearm. Polearm is sweet. It reminds me of high stance in NiOh with a spear. It’s a overhead each time with significant spirit damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom