• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Demo #2 Now Live (Progress Carries to Release)

Crownttano

Found some lucky shit

"Power Gain Upon Deflection"

"Damage Amp Upon Deflection of Critical Blow"
(same debuff icon as Life Wither but last much longer, less damage, stacks)

Testing a Martial Art on the same soldier with my 17 morale

531 No Buff
584 Power Gain
610 Damage Amplification
658 Life Wither
743 Amplify Damage

Put it all together for a good time

With higher morale it won't survive the Fatal Strike
Cheers ✌️

tmlDan

Really enjoyed the demo, won't play day one due to the backlog but the combat is super fun and the familiarity with all the characters due to my obsessions with Dynasty Warriors is nice.

In saying that, did anyone feel like there were too many bosses/sub bosses in quick succession? The demo alone had 3 like back to back to back lol

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
Man when this game clicks! Can't wait for the full game later this week! Crazy that video up above, I struggled with that heavy weapon but he's moving around taking no damage and swinging very quickly. I too love seeing the Dynasty Warriors Three Kingdoms era/theme taken on in a new way. It made having one of the heroes as my companion that much more impactful. Looking forward to seeing the others we might meet.

Man when this game clicks! Can't wait for the full game later this week! Crazy that video up above, I struggled with that heavy weapon but he's moving around taking no damage and swinging very quickly. I too love seeing the Dynasty Warriors Three Kingdoms era/theme taken on in a new way. It made having one of the heroes as my companion that much more impactful. Looking forward to seeing the others we might meet.
I got totally demoralized in the demo lol. Going to finish up Japanese Hard Mode in Wanted: Dead first, then maybe play a short easy game to rest my nerves.

Then jumping into Wo Long for more punishment. :messenger_crying:

• Strength

Isa

Gold Member
I got totally demoralized in the demo lol. Going to finish up Japanese Hard Mode in Wanted: Dead first, then maybe play a short easy game to rest my nerves.

Then jumping into Wo Long for more punishment. :messenger_crying:
Ah man you're hardcore! I have yet to beat it, it's a lot to take in. A break between those two games could be good since I found myself getting confused with the controls when bouncing between them since they are so integral to mastering the timings and tells, especially with parries. Even if a game has a different run button or dodge can throw me off for a bit until I get the control scheme down lol.

I'm also noticing the ideas that TN adopted for Wo Long from Stranger of Paradise, the magic system in particular seems a bit drawn from there as well as the prioritizing parries(especially in boss fights) and magic more as an accessory. My only complaint is trying to figure out the Spirit Meter system.

Ah man you're hardcore! I have yet to beat it, it's a lot to take in. A break between those two games could be good since I found myself getting confused with the controls when bouncing between them since they are so integral to mastering the timings and tells, especially with parries. Even if a game has a different run button or dodge can throw me off for a bit until I get the control scheme down lol.

I'm also noticing the ideas that TN adopted for Wo Long from Stranger of Paradise, the magic system in particular seems a bit drawn from there as well as the prioritizing parries(especially in boss fights) and magic more as an accessory. My only complaint is trying to figure out the Spirit Meter system.
Yeah I think going from Hi Fi Rush to Wanted Dead to Wo Long was too much. A short break for something slower will reset my patience.

I do think the whole system for UI display and spirit and fortitude is confusing. Going to have to watch a few hint videos explaining it since it just didn't click for me. I'm sure its not too bad but I wasnt grasping it.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Yeah I think going from Hi Fi Rush to Wanted Dead to Wo Long was too much. A short break for something slower will reset my patience.

I do think the whole system for UI display and spirit and fortitude is confusing. Going to have to watch a few hint videos explaining it since it just didn't click for me. I'm sure its not too bad but I wasmt grasping it.
Definitely a good idea then, I was bad and sidelined Hi Fi Rush for other games that had priority but I will get to it eventually. That's a good idea, I'll have to look one up. I do like the general idea of the elements for the level ups and magic, it reminds me a lot of old Jrpgs.

recma12

Man when this game clicks!

Was about to drop the game within 10 mins.
The controls felt kinda unintuitive (non standard Souls scheme) and the tutorial has to be the worst I've ever seen. The mechanics are so complicated that one pop up window and a 5sec video aren't enough.
I know there is a basic training map available but it the tutorials should have been integrated in the opening stage imo
Especially since you need all those mechanics to beat the first boss.

But when you finally "get" it, it is lovely.
IMO the ape should have been the first boss, much better tutorial boss bc it only has one phase and the slow windups of the ape are easy to read.

KT is really bad at first impressions lol

BbMajor7th

dude, you can deflect everything besides those red heavily telegraphed attacks and you can keep blocking while doing so as a fallback and on top of that you can even overlevel yourself in no time...
This is child`s play ( at least as far as the demo goes)
You can parry the critical attacks too, you're supposed to in fact, but the parry system is wonky as all fuck and mapping parry to the dodge button rather than the block button is a head scratcher.

Also, yes, the game is ugly as all fuck - art direction and particularly environment design are very weak. If you've played through the Nioh games and haven't had your fill of caves, burning villages and mountain paths, then you're in for a treat.

mxbison

My first impression is honestly pretty bad.

• Character feels like something you just dragged into Unity editor and doesn't have any kind of weight or physics applied yet
  • First level is ugly and boring design
  • Parry is ok but what is that huge ass effect good for? You can hardly see anything for like half a second after a critical parry
  • Spirit and morale thing are poorly explained and don't seem very fun

I'll still give the full game a chance on GP but so far I'm disappointed.

recma12

Spirit and morale thing are poorly explained and don't seem very fun

disagree.
The Morale never drops below the rank you obtain by finding these flags.
So if you struggle with a boss and haven't found all flags yet, exploring is your best bet.
In finding all flags the game also nudges you towards important pick ups.
"Just explore a bit and farm some Souls" has always been the #1 advice in Souls games, in Wo Long they made a mechanic out of it that is just brilliant imo

Yesterday I ran into the ape and he wrecked me. I noticed that I only was on Morale rank 7 and had some undiscovered flags.
So I did some exploration, found the missing flags and some nicer gear. Went back to the ape at Rank 10 and beat the boss in 2 tries.
You can make the boss even easier by farming standard enemies and raising your Morale even further.

IMO this is a genius idea to get around the whole "Does this need an easy mode?" discussion.

gela94

For some reason I thought the whole times this game is the one with the monkey Black Myth Wukong :messenger_grinning_sweat: I was excited .. .

Isa

Gold Member
Was about to drop the game within 10 mins.
The controls felt kinda unintuitive (non standard Souls scheme) and the tutorial has to be the worst I've ever seen. The mechanics are so complicated that one pop up window and a 5sec video aren't enough.
I know there is a basic training map available but it the tutorials should have been integrated in the opening stage imo
Especially since you need all those mechanics to beat the first boss.

But when you finally "get" it, it is lovely.
IMO the ape should have been the first boss, much better tutorial boss bc it only has one phase and the slow windups of the ape are easy to read.

KT is really bad at first impressions lol
I totally agree, especially about the ape being the better first boss. I was playing through with my best friend(thankfully the demo is still playable after beating it lol) and we in a party with his brother across town and his only exposure to a Souls game was Elden Ring. He's not familiar with any real action games with a serious emphasis on parrying and still couldn't pass the first boss. Poor guy was so distraught when he beat his first phase and then a whole second phase beat him. He struggles with so few healing items as well.

I've seen a few skill checks in games but this is definitely one that comes early on and is essential to the game.
Anyone knows if a trip to New Zealand could ease the wait?😅😁
Haha that would be really nice, I've been dying to play the whole thing. I know it get's some hate but I really like the level design, especially in that area from the beta. It makes finding secrets and such really fun.

recma12

I've seen a few skill checks in games but this is definitely one that comes early on and is essential to the game

At first I thought this was one of those tutorial bosses you were supposed to die to, like the wolves in BB.
But it kept sending me back to the flag lol
Think a lot people who expect a Souls game will bounce off quickly.

I went into this after having beaten all the Souls games and Wo Long's emphasis on parrying is the highest I've ever seen, even higher than Sekiro.
First boss is almost impossible without deflecting the critical blows, slowly chopping away at a boss health isn't really viable, blocking comes with a heavy penalty to the spirit bar.
When I started to focus on parrying and just tried to get a few basic attacks in here and there, things were much easier.

Love that this game offers a unique spin on the Souls formula

acidagfc

Great scores!

This year is insane for gaming, I have neither enough money, not time to play all those games. Feels like this gen has finally started!

Finally got around to trying the demo on Windows (been hooked on PSVR2 for the past week), and I'm digging it. The performance is pretty rough though.

Has Microsoft softened their stance on mod support for games on their Store? Because if not then I'll probably pick up Wo Long on Steam instead.

Edit: turns out the answer is no. Steam version it is!

Last edited:
Top Bottom