• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Bombed With Negative Reviews On Steam

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So sad to hear the PC version is in bad shape. I've had some serious hiccups on cutscenes in the xbox demo too.....

What's going on on game development? This doesn't look technically demanding so you would expect that they can get it to decent shape for launch .

Hot5pur

The PC port is kinda crappy.
Volumetric fog/lighting is f-ed.
I get flashing enemies randomly (kinda don't want to turn off AO).
HDR was screwy in some portions.
Stuttering.
First time boot got the BSOD
When using an Xbox controller you get PS controller buttons prompts.
Lazy ass port.
If a game comes out for PC the expectation is it supports m/kb unless it explicitly states controller only. Don't defend the developers on being asshats.

It's a watered down Ni Oh with a jump button. Still getting enjoyment out of it but overall somewhat disappointed.

digdug2

Strange, I've been playing on XSX and a mouse cursor keeps showing up.

dUw9Mtk.jpg

Banned
When using an Xbox controller you get PS controller buttons prompts.
you can change your control overlay in the options

If a game comes out for PC the expectation is it supports m/kb unless it explicitly states controller only. Don't defend the developers on being asshats.
it does support it, it simply has an issue where the mouse doesn't respond correctly, which is getting patched

The game is not being "review bombed". It's getting the score it deserves.
Companies can't release a game full with performance issues, then expect gamers to be happy with a subpar product.
from my tests there are no performance issues, and I have a midrange PC running close to max settings

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
looks like nioh but with chinese weapons. team ninja so level design bye bye. youre just paying for gameplay.

T4keD0wN

I genuinely do not know why anyone would play an action RPG game with mouse and keyboard.
People retarded enough to play a third person melee combat action game with a fucking mouse and keyboard deserve to get shit support.
Ever heard of personal preference? You seem to have it yourself by prefering a controllers in games like this, imagine if the situation was reversed and it had bad controller support and it negatively affected you. I am sure youd be perfectly fine with that and that there would be no hypocrisy, right?

Nioh 2 didnt have this problem, so i imagine most people assumed this game wouldnt either. It will most likely get patched soon so its not that big of a deal.
Its far from the only or the biggest problem the game currently has unfortunately. Hell, i think its one of the smaller ones myself (i am used to bad mouse controls from Nintendo games), but its unusually common in the reviews that this thread is about.

Last edited:

M1987

Was excited to try this on game pass,but it looks like it's still a mess

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I played the demo of this on Steam and quickly deleted it. I was surprised by all the high scores. Seeing this games as mostly negative on Steam doesn't surprise me though. I don't really care about KB+M support though, but it should be a viable option.

Spaceman292

Banned
75K peak concurrent is really good.

And they had to ruin it all with a shoddy PC release. They've announced patches to fix that, but surely this should have been detected in testing?
It definitely was found in testing, but it just had a lower priority than other issues to he fixed before release.

Shut0wen

Sounds like theres some serious issues with the game. Koei Tecmo game with poor or no KB&M support is to be expected at this point.
Are Capcom and Sony the only japanese publishers left that release decent pc ports now that square got rid of their western stuff? :messenger_unamused:
Fromsoftware has improved as well as sega

-Japanese developer releases a port on PC
-PC gamers find out that it was optimized for a Japanese console
-PC gamers find out that the controls were optimized for a Japanese console

PC gamers every single time:
maxresdefault.jpg
Wow, that's some heavy lifting you're doing to shill for a company selling a broken and buggy game for 70$ on PC.
Watch it, wouldn't want to throw out your back.

StueyDuck

I tried to launch on gamepass PC and it launches at 720p and you can't change it.

Hot shit port. Deserves the bombs in my opinion

Wildebeest

I heard that "professional" game reviewers "review bomb" many big games on release with massively over inflated scores. It's a big problem that is anti-industry if you ask me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Another bad pc port?
I need to check some of this stuff out. It can't all be this bad recently right ?

The term "review bombed" should only be used to describe organized complaints about an issue outside the product. If there's an issue with the product itself, it's a legit negative review.
Agreed completely. Review Bomb is such a rhetorically loaded term that it can be used to cover the stink of a genuinely shit product. Sad, though, I sort of like Nioh and I love it when games have the eastern setting.

Fbh

Deserved. Team Ninja Needs to get their shit together.

Their games still largely looks like some Ps3/Ps4 cross gen title and yet they seem to struggle to get them running right. Yeah the PC version got the worst treatment but even the console version of their games kinda suck. Visually their stuff looks like it should easily hit native 4K 60Fps just like DMCV but instead but instead they have to use dynamic res targeting 1440p to get consistent performance.

Banned

Here's a quick video just so that you know I'm not full of shit.

the cursor your see in the loading screen is definitely the Xbox's default mouse cursor.

I wonder if that's happening because the Windows and Xbox versions are closely connected.

I have to test later if PC settings influence the console version!
this has happened in the past, for Scorn for example, you could change the FPS lock and FOV settings on PC and they would also change on console once your save file was synced.
this was the only way to change your FOV on console

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Looks like the Japanese developers are still trying to understand what a Pc game is and how to play it. Give them another 5-10 years.

hlm666

it's not. lock it to 60fps and play with a controller, and it'll work just fine
After seeing your earlier post I locked it to 60 before even booting the game and it ran fine, perfect flat frametime bar, felt smooth no stutters. So I was almost ready to dig in.

BUT the m/kb controls are FUCKED, worst i've ever used. It seems to be emulating a gamepad stick with a massive dead zone and this is what makes it unplayable. I have to move the mouse further to get out of the deadzone than I do to move the camera once its moving. I've played all souls likes games with a m/kb since darksouls 1 pc port (ds1/2/2 sotfs/3/sekiro/surge/surge2/lord of the fallen/nioh 1,2/mortal shell and a few more I can't remember. I'll give it a pass for the moment and finish atomic heart and see if this gets fixed by then.

Banned
After seeing your earlier post I locked it to 60 before even booting the game and it ran fine, perfect flat frametime bar, felt smooth no stutters. So I was almost ready to dig in.

BUT the m/kb controls are FUCKED, worst i've ever used. It seems to be emulating a gamepad stick with a massive dead zone and this is what makes it unplayable. I have to move the mouse further to get out of the deadzone than I do to move the camera once its moving. I've played all souls likes games with a m/kb since darksouls 1 pc port (ds1/2/2 sotfs/3/sekiro/surge/surge2/lord of the fallen/nioh 1,2/mortal shell and a few more I can't remember. I'll give it a pass for the moment and finish atomic heart and see if this gets fixed by then.

they said they'll patch the mouse input. it's just a question of how long it will take

yamaci17

no shader stutters on the Windows Store (Xbox app) version of the full version either.

but like I said in the other thread, I think Team Ninja's camera system doesn't work properly at anything that isn't a locked 60fps.
which brings us to the next issue, the game's internal FPS lock doesn't work properly. even if you turn on Vsync and set it to 60fps it simply doesn't stay at 60fps, it will constantly fluctuate below 60 for no reason whatsoever.
I can run the game at 70+ fps at near max settings at 1440p, but as soon as I lock to 60 in the game, the game will constantly drop to 58 or 57 fps.

in Ni-Oh back in the day, if you played in 30fps mode or unlocked graphics mode (high res at unlocked 30fps target that can get to 60fps) the camera movement felt unfathomably terrible and stuttery. as if it is jumping an uneven amount of distance every frame.
and the same is clearly happening here too. I have Gsync enabled, exclusive full screen on, fps is above 60fps at all times basically, and it feels like a stuttery mess even tho my FPS monitor never notices a stutter.

if you lock it to 60fps using RivaTuner however it locks perfectly to 60fps, no wonky internal framerate lock, and it feels perfectly smooth! no weird camera jumps, perfect 60fps. set the in-game lock to 120 and the riva tuner lock to 60

edit: here a video with Riva Tuner on

i said the very same on demo topic, rivatuner 60 fps lock solves practically almost all stutter issues game has

its clear that most of these games' frame limiter are not designed with windows architecture in mind. probably works preem on metal api consoles but goes janky on windows

aries_71

If the pc port is bad, I expect the SX port to be equally bad. At this point they are just dropping a dx12 build with predefined parameters as SX version and calling it a day. At least in PC you can tweak the params.

Buggy Loop

I've played all souls likes games with a m/kb since darksouls 1 pc port (ds1/2/2 sotfs/3/sekiro/surge/surge2/lord of the fallen/nioh 1,2/mortal shell and a few more I can't remember. I'll give it a pass for the moment and finish atomic heart and see if this gets fixed by then.

According to a dozen posters in this thread, you’re a monster

season 6 dewey largo GIF

What are you thinking? Are you stubborn? It’s made for controllers! Pick a goddamn controller! I can’t believe someone would use Kb/m on these games. Clearly you’re a freak.

/s if it wasn’t obvious

Last edited:
Top Bottom