• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Bombed With Negative Reviews On Steam

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nothing is wrong. People can play however they want and if it's a PC game saying controller is mandatory is idiotic. The PC platform is an open platform and every developer that launches on PC should offer support for both controller and keyboard and mouse.

Relax keyboard warrior, I was 80% joking and only 20% serious.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
See, you get it.
I get mad Cheetos while I play since I don’t need my hands.
Animated GIF

Bragr

Banned
This is the case with every other PC game now, the developers don't seem to find the time/cost good enough to optimize their games. Leaning on patches.

It's incredibly annoying, and while I like the game, they deserve the bad feedback.

Lasha

Console gamers generally don't complain about either the presence or absence of KB/mouse support even though the hardware has been capable of supporting it for the past 3 generations at least.
They would probably lose their shit if a FPS launched without controller support or aim assist tho

decisions

I fixed the port for myself. This game is glorious.
  1. Frame cap is broken: lock game at (in-game frame cap) -1 FPS
    2. Ambient Occlusion is broken (causes white flashes): Disable it
    3. Volumetric fog/lighting is ridiculously expensive: set both to low
    4. Graphics "mode" setting does unknown things: set to prioritize FPS
    5. Nvidia Profile Inspector general fixes: rBAR enabled, Power management mode: prefer maximum performance

Also here are my settings for HDR on the Alienware QD-OLED. I find the HDR implementation in this game to look amazing, for instance the dark reds in the caves on stage 3 simply look sublime.
X7B7IiZ.png

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm playing souls with controllers, so your little edgy insult, I really don't care. But it doesn't take a long time to have a few goddamn neurons firing in there to understand that some peoples will want keyboard+mouse.

Its not an "edgy" comment or much of an insult. Its a basic observation of fact.

If controller support is present and functional on a platform that supports controllers, what's the excuse for not using that input method apart from pure stubbornness?

You can't argue that the game wasn't primarily designed to be played with a controller or that KB/M basically adds anything of gameplay value due to the nature of the action.

Sorry, but it seems like making a rock for your own back to me. Which is why I have zero sympathy for the complaint.

Banned
Its not an "edgy" comment or much of an insult. Its a basic observation of fact.

If controller support is present and functional on a platform that supports controllers, what's the excuse for not using that input method apart from pure stubbornness?

You can't argue that the game wasn't primarily designed to be played with a controller or that KB/M basically adds anything of gameplay value due to the nature of the action.

Sorry, but it seems like making a rock for your own back to me. Which is why I have zero sympathy for the complaint.

I don't get that either. if a game is designed for controller, and you know that going into it, I have no idea wtf people are expecting to happen when you want to use the input method it's not designed for.

like if someone boght Guitar Hero and then goes online and says how shit the game is when played on a normal controller (which you can actually do btw lol)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't get that either. if a game is designed for controller, and you know that going into it, I have no idea wtf people are expecting to happen when you want to use the input method it's not designed for.

like if someone boght Guitar Hero and then goes online and says how shit the game is when played on a normal controller (which you can actually do btw lol)
Imagine putting out this game out on console and expecting the players to use Guitar Hero peripherals to play it.

Banned
Imagine putting out this game out on console and expecting the players to use Guitar Hero peripherals to play it.

your comment makes no sense.

it's simple,
the game is designed for controller, so you are expected to play it with that. as an alternative they made it playable with mouse and keyboard but that is not what it's designed for.

similarly,
guitar hero is designed for a guitar controller, so you are expected to play it with that. as an alternative they made it playable with a normal controller but that is not what it's designed for.

Shubh_C63

Isn't it possible not every PC person have a controller, while the game is being released on PC that natively deals with Keyboard and Mouse.
And I see no tag in Steam saying ONLY Controller compatible which than would have been purchasers oversight of not checking the product out.

You can't blame people for being angry over PC game not working with PC input methods. Its not like they bought a VR title on steam and complained its not working with KBM.

Ywap

There are some shader cache (i assume) stuttering the first 2 minutes or so. After that it runs great for me. Fantastic game btw. 🤘

Sentenza

I'm honestly of two minds about the topic.
On one hand I easily agree that people should have any right to complain or rate a game negatively if it presents problems.
On the other hand, when the complaint is "this console centric action game is clearly designed for controllers and plays poorly with mouse and keyboard setup" I admittedly filter out that as the complain of a purist bordering into retardation.

I don't expect Civilization or Baldur's Gate to play nice on a controller and in the same way I don't expect FIFA or Monster hunter to be at their best with a keyboard.

Last edited:

Banned
Console warriors in PC threads sure is something.

the game is playable with mouse and keyboard... and it's not even that bad, the only thing they need to patch is the weird "deadzone" the mouse input has.

the rest is perfectly serviceable, you can rebind everything and the button overlay also works. it's literally just weird mouse movement issues.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This thread is about negative reviews on Steam (Which supports console pad inputs down to the button graphics).

It’s NOT about console vs PC.
I‘m not even arguing with you. Go away.

the game is playable with mouse and keyboard... and it's not even that bad, the only thing they need to patch is the weird "deadzone" the mouse input has.

the rest is perfectly serviceable, you can rebind everything and the button overlay also works. it's literally just weird mouse movement issues.
Okay dad.

Last edited:

Banned
Okay dad.

great response, really insightful.

what I said is 100% accurate, the only issue the game currently has on mouse and keyboard is that the mouse has a weird deadzone, a movement threshold at which it will not move the camera.
if they fix that, the mouse and keyboard controls would be 100% fine... I would even say pretty much perfect.
I had worse camera controls on console with console games

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
great response, really insightful.

what I said is 100% accurate, the only issue the game currently has on mouse and keyboard is that the mouse has a weird deadzone, a movement threshold at which it will not move the camera.
if they fix that, the mouse and keyboard controls would be 100% fine... I would even say pretty much perfect.
I had worse camera controls on console with console games
I don’t understand why you’re even arguing with me.

BossLackey

Gold Member
A shame, really. I tried the demo out and on my rig it had the strange stutter, so it just wasn't easy to play whatsoever. No matter how settings were tampered with, it wouldn't go away. So I just decided to uninstall it, lol.

Some devs really need to be better about their PC ports, it can really make or break something.

I love PC gaming, but there are just SO many disappointing PC ports, especially lately for some reason.

I honestly don't really understand why it's so prevalent.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m confused about these performance issues folks are getting.

I’m max everything in 4k for a 3080 on gamepass pc version. Are the steam and gamepass ports different ?

I recall a few games in the past had better versions on gamepass pc if I recall like the Nier Automata versions .

Is the same going on here or ?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love PC gaming, but there are just SO many disappointing PC ports, especially lately for some reason.

What interests me is whether or not the Steam and Windows Store versions of this game actually perform differently.

Because that's a very odd thing.

T4keD0wN

This thread is about negative reviews on steam, most of which complain about keyboard and mouse support, why are people here going off-topic and talking about controllers?

You realize some people play on pc just because they are unable to use controllers or because they simply dont want to use it?

Banned
Koei Tecmo posted that they will fix the mouse response btw. I just found out... and again, that was literally the only issue this game has currently

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned

Developers should either get KB+M right, or drop support.
If a game REALLY isn't designed for keyboards, duct taping the option just makes the game look shoddier

Banned
Developers should either get KB+M right, or drop support.
If a game REALLY isn't designed for keyboards, duct taping the option just makes the game look shoddier

I mean, again, the only issue is that the mouse input is unresponsive, and they are apparently fixing that, everything else works absolutely like you'd expect a mouse and keyboard option to work, you can even turn off that the camera automatically follows locked-on enemies if you want full free camera control at all time

Last edited:
Console warriors in PC threads sure is something.
Console warriors defend controller usage in PC threads. PC warriors come into Sony threads asking when the PC port is coming. Sony warriors gloat about having great exclusives that Xbox/PC can't have for a year or longer(sometimes never). Xbox warriors gloat about Gamepass to Sony warriors whenever a multiplat game comes out and ends up on their service day one. Everyone makes fun of Nintendo Switch games costing full price for years. And Nintendo warriors make fun of everyone by showing their console exclusives' metacritic score.

Everything is balanced.
98fdc7205a7209d34d95cdd5bce345c5.gif

StereoVsn

This is the case with every other PC game now, the developers don't seem to find the time/cost good enough to optimize their games. Leaning on patches.

It's incredibly annoying, and while I like the game, they deserve the bad feedback.
And what they don't deserve is full price at release. Basically now days it's worth waiting 6 months (for SP games) or even longer for things to get patched and for price to drop.

Situation is still ridiculous though.

StereoVsn

Because publishers can't be arsed to pay devs to fix it. That takes time and money, so why bother when you can throw shit out and maybe patch things later...or maybe not as we can still see with say Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Some peoples don't love controllers? I know a bunch. Some never liked moving camera with analog sticks and then pressing face buttons at the same time. Even some games sometimes abuse this too much i find and i use controllers a LOT. I know, oh my gosh, a different opinion than the hardcore gaming forum.

Mouse camera is way easier for them. PC is choice, its crazy to think peoples aren't picking the controller because of stubbornness. Know what control method is an obligation on PC? Keyboard and mouse, not controllers.

There's hundreds of games that started on consoles with controllers only that were ported to PC successfully. Any genre you can think of.

MiguelItUp

As do I. What's wild is that we get some absolutely outstanding ports, but then we get completely polar opposite ones. It makes no sense, lol. You'd think it'd just get easier, but somehow it apparently isn't? Lol.

BlackTron

Who plays a action rpg with a keyboard and mouse? The reviews should be auto-deleted.

If the kb/m issues were the only problem I would think it's silly, but it's not. The game has numerous issues on PC.

But the idea of kb/m not working well in a game like this, it may as well have bad racing wheel support, who cares.

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised by how popular it is on Steam (since it's on Game Pass "for free"). Seems like a lot of people look past the controls and performance problems and want to play this game.

Robb

Gold Member
Kinda misleading title, I’d interpret review bombing as getting unfair biased scores (mainly from fanboys).

If the port is bad and the reviews are bad because of that it just seems fair.

Last edited:

Reallink

Sounds like theres some serious issues with the game. Koei Tecmo game with poor or no KB&M support is to be expected at this point.
Are Capcom and Sony the only japanese publishers left that release decent pc ports now that square got rid of their western stuff? :messenger_unamused:

People retarded enough to play a third person melee combat action game with a fucking mouse and keyboard deserve to get shit support.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I genuinely do not know why anyone would play an action RPG game with mouse and keyboard.

Controllers feel much, much better.

BlackTron

I genuinely do not know why anyone would play an action RPG game with mouse and keyboard.

I feel like this is an example of a subset of PC gamers knowing absolutely everything about graphics and resolution settings but nothing about actually playing the game correctly.

I think this group is much bigger than I ever wanted to believe.

Top Bottom