• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 02•13-15•15 - Fifty fans come, Kingsman not 'sponge worthy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

yy2kazk.jpg
zRXxZK6.jpg
hYCUMhQ.jpg
ILo5osN.jpg
rqGlTMk.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
26% Fifty Shades of Grey
9wcOG.gif
71% Kingsman: The Secret Service
kavuF.gif
73% The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
8vteV.gif
73% American Sniper
5f4ew.gif
22% Jupiter Ascending

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Explodes With Record-Breaking $81.7 Million

“Fifty Shades of Grey” sizzled at the box office, setting new records for the highest grossing Presidents Day Weekend opener of all time and ranking among the biggest R-rated debuts in history.

The erotic drama performed like a comic book movie, albeit one with much naughtier costumes, picking up $81.7 million from 3,646 locations over the three-day period. That easily trumped the holiday’s previous record-holder, the 2010 debut of the romantic comedy “Valentine’s Day,” which kicked off with $56.3 million.

“Fifty Shades of Grey” will do more than $90 million over the four-day holiday, in addition to triggering a massive increase in heart palpitations across the moviegoing public. Among the many high-water marks the saucy tale has hit, the film’s debut is the second-biggest in February history behind “The Passion of the Christ” and the fourth-biggest R-rated premiere, trailing “The Matrix Reloaded,” “The Hangover: Part II” and Mel Gibson’s aforementioned crucifixion tale.

It’s been more than a decade since “Basic Instinct” and “Disclosure” heated up the box office with sexually charged big-screen fantasies. The advent of the internet had made kinky cinematic adventures seem positively anachronistic, but by mixing romance with bondage, author E.L. James was able to put a fresh spin on a limp genre. It’s an approach that could usher in a new period of sexual candor — at the very least it seems likely to last through “Fifty Shades” parts two and three.

In marketing materials, Universal Pictures and Focus Features, the studios behind the $40 million production, emphasized the love story elements of the tale of a brooding billionaire (Jamie Dornan) who whisks a timid college student (Dakota Johnson) away into a world of airplane rides, pregnant pauses, impossibly tight jeans, and the occasional detour into S&M.

Universal had originally slated “Fifty Shades of Grey” for an October, 2014 release, but moved its premiere to Valentine’s Day. The timing proved advantageous.

“The gamble paid off,” said Phil Contrino, vice president and chief analyst at BoxOffice.com. “It flies in the face of what you’d expect to be released on that day. It’s usually safe and non-offense dramas and comedies.”

“Fifty Shades of Grey’s” opening weekend audience was 68% female, 52% caucasian, 22% Hispanic and 15% African-American. Reviews for the film were tepid and it appears audiences agree with critics, handing the film a lackluster C+ CinemaScore grade.

The movie business tends to be fixated on youth, but this Presidents Day weekend was remarkable for the amount of adult-oriented content it boast. “Fifty Shades of Grey” wasn’t the only R-rated picture that did impressive business at the multiplexes — 20th Century Fox’s tongue-in-cheek spy thriller “Kingsman: The Secret Service” premiered to $35.6 million from 3,204 locations. It should do more than $41 million over the four-day holiday.

Filmed for $81 million and directed by “X-Men:First Class” helmer Matthew Vaughn, “Kingsman” features Colin Firth as a sort of ass-kicking George Smiley and newcomer Taron Egerton as the street-tough he takes under his impeccably tailored wing.

Last weekend’s champ, “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water” was able to mop up the family business, earning an estimated $30.5 million for the three day weekend. The animated sequel will have made more than $100 million by the time the holiday ends.

Warner Bros.’ “American Sniper” blasted past another benchmark, crossing $300 million at the domestic box office after adding another $16.4 million over the weekend.

Fifth place finisher “Jupiter Ascending” insured that there will be write-downs at Warner Bros. The science-fiction adventure took in $9.4 million for the three day period and has made $32.5 million since it debuted last weekend. Its $176 million production budget and tens of millions in marketing and distribution costs make profitability nearly impossible.

Among milestones, “Big Hero 6″ passed “Beauty and the Beast” to become the third highest-grossing Disney Animation release with $219.3 million, behind “The Lion King” and “Frozen.”

On the art house front, the Anna Kendrick musical comedy, “The Last Five Years,” pulled in $45,107 across three screens, for a per-screen average of $15,036. The Radius-TWC release also debuted on video-on-demand. The indie label’s “Citizenfour,” the Oscar-nominated documentary about Edward Snowden, made $31,138 this weekend from 17 theaters, pushing its total to $2.6 million.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kingsman did way better than I expected. Great news. Movie was excellent. Hopefully it has good legs based on good word of mouth.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Fantastic result for Kingsman, deserves every penny

It's also worth noting that 50 shades is doing monster business overseas too, breaking loads of Universa'sl opening records

Based on my anecdotical evidence, the legs will be horrible for Fifty. I have yet to hear a person who liked or wasn't Disappointed after watching it.

mreddie

In most years, Kingsman's opening would be considered a remarkable success.

But 2015 is apparently not most years.

It'll still be impressive. Especially next week isn't much a big movie day unless you're really looking forward to Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

duckroll

This is a weekend with two R-rated films topping the charts and a third R-rated film at number 4 with amazing legs. Maybe Fox will actually consider a R-rated Deadpool? It's shooting soon right? Lol, who am I kidding... :(

Prompto

Banned
This is a weekend with two R-rated films topping the charts and a third R-rated film at number 4 with amazing legs. Maybe Fox will actually consider a R-rated Deadpool? It's shooting soon right? Lol, who am I kidding... :(
I'd say it's certainly possible now. It has a much lower budget than most other Superhero movies, it's releasing this same weekend next year, and Fox were the ones who released Kingsman after all.

Fantastic debut for Kingsman, hope it's done well enough WW to get a sequel.

Fifty isn't surprising, although wasn't there talk of a possible $90m opening weekend? $81m is great, don't get me wrong, but I remember reading some expectations had it at $90m or possibly more.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Fantastic debut for Kingsman, hope it's done well enough WW to get a sequel.

Fifty isn't surprising, although wasn't there talk of a possible $90m opening weekend? $81m is great, don't get me wrong, but I remember reading some expectations had it at $90m or possibly more.

Those estimates were for the four-day weekend. According to studio estimates, they are on track to earn $91 million.

I'm really happy for Kingsman and looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

Deadpool doesn't need to be R-Rated. The comic usually isn't.

Hell, the test footage isn't.

mreddie said:
It'll still be impressive.

It's absolutely impressive. What I'm saying is that 2015 is fucking bananas already and it's only February. If this movie hadn't come out in the wake of American Sniper and 50 Shades, it'd likely be THE box-office story of the year.

TheMan

i guess it's safe to say that the wachowski siblings are done with big budget hollywood films...or perhaps more accurately, hollywood is done with them.

I doubt it. The superhero game is totally different. Fox, Marvel and Warner are all chasing Avengers numbers, and there is no way an R rated film -no matter how good- is getting anything close to that.

i guess it's safe to say that the wachowski siblings are done with big budget hollywood films...or perhaps more accurately, hollywood is done with them.

No, Hollywood will let them return to The Matrix and see if they can work that magic again. If that fails, then they are done.

Those estimates were for the four-day weekend. According to studio estimates, they are on track to earn $91 million.

I'm really happy for Kingsman and looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

Ah, that's what I must have read. Thanks for pointing that out.

$91m over four days for an R rated movie is very impressive indeed and then there's Kingsman too.

While I don't expect studios to start pumping out R rated movies as a result, I do at least hope it's sent a signal that there's a pretty strong demand for R rated movies.

As Duckroll mentioned, DP going R rated would be a fantastic start...

BobLoblaw

Banned
More proof that whoever decided to cast fucking Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum to lead a $176 million movie should be fired and blacklisted.

More proof that whoever decided to cast fucking Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum to lead a $176 million movie should be fired and blacklisted.

Agree 100%.

Well especially for the type of film it is. I actually think Channing is a solid actor for roles that fit him but these two looked out of place / awkward in this film since the first preview I saw.

Kusagari

Fifty is probably going to have one of the biggest drops ever next weekend.

Even fans of the book are shitting on the movie.

This wasn't correct the last time you posted it. Box Office hasn't been built around "star-power" for a really long time now. It wouldn't have succeeded because of Tatum/Kunis, either. This movie was always going to live or die on whether audiences could be convinced the world presented was alluring/interesting. It wasn't. The marketing was shitpoor, and everything about it looked generic as hell. There hasn't been a single moment in which this film seemed like anything but forgettable sci-fi blech. You coulda stuck Clooney and Bullock in there and people still woulda shrugged at it.

This wasn't correct the last time you posted it. Box Office hasn't been built around "star-power" for a really long time now. It wouldn't have succeeded because of Tatum/Kunis, either. This movie was always going to live or die on whether audiences could be convinced the world presented was alluring/interesting. It wasn't. The marketing was shitpoor, and everything about it looked generic as hell. There hasn't been a single moment in which this film seemed like anything but forgettable sci-fi blech. You coulda stuck Clooney and Bullock in there and people still woulda shrugged at it.

I agree with both your opinion and the other. Like I posted above Channing can be solid and yes even with different actors the film would have still bombed. It didn't click with the public at all.

But that doesn't change this was still very poor casting. Neither actor seemed to fit their roles at all and they stuck out pretty badly. They didn't "disappear" into the roles at all. It just looked like Tatum and Kunis flying around in space.

duckroll

But that doesn't change this was still very poor casting. Neither actor seemed to fit their roles at all and they stuck out pretty badly. They didn't "disappear" into the roles at all. It just looked like Tatum and Kunis flying around in space.

But is that bad casting? Or is it bad everything else? You can cast someone you think fits the role, but if no one else who is involved does their job right, it's not going to work unless the person is literally playing themselves.

But is that bad casting? Or is it bad everything else? You can cast someone you think fits the role, but if no one else who is involved does their job right, it's not going to work unless the person is literally playing themselves.

Is there a single person that like the in them role?

Honest question, I've never seen anyone irl who liked it at all. And I know very few of them who saw it, but they all pretty much universally agreed that those two felt hella out of place

Is there a single person that like the in them role?

Nobody seems to like ANYONE in the movie, but everyone seems to agree the worst performance in the film isn't even theirs, it's Best Actor nominee Eddie Redmayne.

So if Eddie Redmayne is shitting the bed twice as hard as the two leads, I'm betting it's not the quality of actor that's lacking, it's the direction. Choices were made that turned out to be bad ones. Sorta like how people are arguing over in the Nightcrawler thread about Gilroy having Howard compose the score he composed. There was a deliberate choice made to have the score sound like that, and it didn't work for a lot of people. The Wachowskis made a BUNCH of deliberate choices to make Jupiter Ascending play the way it played. They didn't land.

Now they're going to make smaller films. Hopefully this reinvigorates them, as Bound is still one of the best things they ever did.

Slayven

Nobody seems to like ANYONE in the movie, but everyone seems to agree the worst performance in the film isn't even theirs, it's Best Actor nominee Eddie Redmayne.

So if Eddie Redmayne is shitting the bed twice as hard as the two leads, I'm betting it's not the quality of actor that's lacking, it's the direction.

I want to see the movie just to see if what they say about his performance is true.

Holy shit Fifty Shades of Grey is a monster. Kingman did very well.

Fifty Shades of Grey

Production Budget: $40 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $81,670,000 34.1%
+ Foreign: $158,000,000 65.9%
= Worldwide: $239,670,000

Kingsman

Production Budget: $81 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $35,600,000 63.2%
+ Foreign: $20,687,504 36.8%
= Worldwide: $56,287,504

Slayven

If Jupitur had released at it original date, would it have been the biggest bomb of 2014?

Is there a chance anything can beat Mordceai for the 2015 Bomb title?

All Kingsman has to do is get 100 million+ to be a success and get a possible sequel. Make it happen America. Now that you've taken your girlfriends to watch 50 Shades, make them go with you to watch an amazing action movie. The good part is that nothing half decent comes out for a while so it should be easy to watch this.

So if Eddie Redmayne is shitting the bed twice as hard as the two leads, I'm betting it's not the quality of actor that's lacking, it's the direction. Choices were made that turned out to be bad ones. Sorta like how people are arguing over in the Nightcrawler thread about Gilroy having Howard compose the score he composed. There was a deliberate choice made to have the score sound like that, and it didn't work for a lot of people. The Wachowskis made a BUNCH of deliberate choices to make Jupiter Ascending play the way it played. They didn't land.

Now they're going to make smaller films. Hopefully this reinvigorates them, as Bound is still one of the best things they ever did.

I'm not disagreeing about quality of actor, as I said I like Channing in plenty of roles he's been in. I'm just saying I don't believe those two were appropriate for the roles at all.

All Kingsman has to do is get 100 million+ to be a success and get a possible sequel. Make it happen America. Now that you've taken your girlfriends to watch 50 Shades, make them go with you to watch an amazing action movie. The good part is that nothing half decent comes out for a while so it should be easy to watch this.

What did it do overseas? I expect it made a tidy chunk of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom