• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•16-18•16 - Mele kalikimaka for Disney as Rogue One & Moana #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

Good for Rogue One, I've already seen the movie 2 times and the second one was better than the first, it's the kind of movie that get better and better with each viewing, It's a shame that Arrival isn't doing great worldwide, it's a good movie.

Boke1879

Good for Rogue One, I've already seen the movie 2 times and the second one was better than the first, it's the kind of movie that get better and better with each viewing, It's a shame that Arrival isn't doing great worldwide, it's a good movie.

Yup. Great for RO. Seen it twice as well and will probably see it once more around Christmas.

kswiston

I dont expect it to do well. TFA was received terribly there.

Terribly is an exaggeration. TFA had decent legs in China, and will finish the year as the 6th or 7th biggest Hollywood film of 2016 there (it's 6th in USD, but I can't remember if X-Men Apocalypse was ahead in local currency). It just happens to be another blockbuster to them instead of the biggest movie franchise of all time.

China really doesn't care for Star Wars in general honestly.

Because China didn't know what a Star Wars was a couple of years ago. The films weren't officially released there until 2014 or 2015, can't remember. Most westerners grew up with the brand though. It's been possibly the single greatest influence on popular culture in the last 50 years.

It just dawned on me that Will Smith hasn't been in a good movie in almost 10 years.
I dug MIB3.

womfalcs3

Banned
Just saw Moana and the story breaks down after
Maui reveals that he's been on the island for 1,000 years waiting for a boat. I mean really? Living on the island for so long and not building a boat?

GhaleonEB

Moana is $34M ahead of Tangled at the same point in its domestic run, and is still making about 30% more than Tangled weekly. Tangled hit $200M domestic. Just making the same as Tangled during the remainder of its run will put Moana at $235M domestic. If it continues to makes ~30% more, it will land at $255M. The only question mark is what effect Sing will have on the holiday legs.
After seeing what Secret Life of Pets did to Finding Dory's late legs earlier this year, I'm thinking Sing will chop Moana down a bit.

Pretty amazing start for the anthology Star Wars films. We're still in new territory as this was the first, but this is a more sustainable level than TFA's opening, which was never going to be repeated. Han Solo will have his own draw as well. I think Disney has line of sight to a similar debut through Episode IX. Goddamn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just saw Moana and the story breaks down after
Maui reveals that he's been on the island for 1,000 years waiting for a boat. I mean really? Living on the island for so long and not building a boat?

What is he gonna build a boat out of? All the boulders on the island?

R1 65 Metascore.

WTF?

MC is kinda rubbish when it comes to film aggregate. Their algorithm has to be some nonsense or something. It's at 7.5/10 on RT, 7/10 with top critics.

Not as bad as their video game aggregate though, where 10/10 = game of the month contender and 9/10 = it's OK, I guess.

In either case, it's better to just stick to a small handful of reviewers that you and trust with similar taste in film as you.

kswiston

Metacritic has different weightings for each review outlet. The New Yorker's review score for R1 on metacritic is a 30. I'm sure that hurt the score. Also, letter grades have pretty harsh metacritic score translations. A C is a 50 on metacritic.

GhaleonEB

Metacritic has different weightings for each review outlet. The New Yorker's review score for R1 on metacritic is a 30. I'm sure that hurt the score.

Which is why I've never once looked at Metacritic. I don't know why everyone is so focused on a site that cherry picks reviews and then gives them arbitrary weightings.

Which is why I've never once looked at Metacritic. I don't know why everyone is so focused on a site that cherry picks reviews and then gives them arbitrary weightings.

Some studios in the gaming industry actually get a bonus when they hit a certain MC score. Its crazy.

Well, really, we should all be doing that. Just a more personalized version of it. By all means, everyone should have certain reviewers that they "cherry pick" and trust more than others.

Edit: I haven't seen Moana yet. BO thread probably isn't the best place for spoiler discussion. >_>

NimbusD

Rogue one proved to me that a SW movie a year is a mistake, unfortunately the numbers will prove the opposite to Disney. Meh. It's been fun star wars but it feels like it'll be downhill after ep 8.

golem

Rogue one proved to me that a SW movie a year is a mistake, unfortunately the numbers will prove the opposite to Disney. Meh. It's been fun star wars but it feels like it'll be downhill after ep 8.

Have a lot more faith in Lord and Miller than Edwards so heres hoping they can turn it around.

jett

D-Member
Not as bad as their video game aggregate though, where 10/10 = game of the month contender and 9/10 = it's OK, I guess..

The way they measure video games is pretty good, since that industry tends to greatly overrate games. *insert joke about 7-10 review score scale* You need a 9/10 average to be "critically acclaimed", while 8/10 is needed for movies.

I am the Vader of posters, damn you all to hell

2282352-vader_2.png

Saw Rogue One on Thursday night and then La La Land (for free via the Atom ticket deal) on Friday night. Was a fun weekend for movies for sure.

Enjoyed R1 more than I thought I would, though I had actually stayed on blackout for the most part. It was still Star Wars but I loved that it was more grim and gritty as I always thought that was lacking a bit in both the OT and Prequel Trilogy when depicting the Rebels vs. the Empire.

La La Land was a good contrast compared to R1, as it was great seeing a modern-day musical in theaters. Though I know some people seem divided over the ending, I personally loved it, as did my friend who saw it with me. Been listening to the soundtrack of Spotify for the past two days though I'll probably buy it soon enough.

NimbusD

Have a lot more faith in Lord and Miller than Edwards so heres hoping they can turn it around.

I do, but forcing a schedule leads to sloppy storytelling and pointless retconning that could be avoided with more time and care.

It's only going to get more complicated and convoluted. I can stand a bad star wars movie, bit nor ones that continuously fuck with the original trilogy for no good reason other than to meet a yearly deadline.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Anyone going to start a crow thread for the Gaffers who thought Jeff Goldstein would be out of a job by this point? Dude is full on Affleck Batman level of irrational survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom