• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•09-11•16 - Moana a Party pupuper, keeps top spot warm for Disney fam

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

hGV5xRk.jpg
R8yU2iy.jpg
KEIzSfH.jpg
5xPRTWc.jpg
bqBqO7P.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
96% Moana
eptv7.gif
43% Office Christmas Party
kavuF.gif
74% Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
8vteV.gif
93% Arrival
0hJB1.gif
91% Doctor Strange
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
96% La La Land

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Moana’ Narrowly Edges Out ‘Office Christmas Party,’ ‘La La Land’ Impresses

Disney’s “Moana” topped a sleepy weekend at the multiplexes, earning $18.8 million to lead the domestic box office. It was the third straight victory for the animated adventure, which has made $145 million stateside since opening over Thanksgiving.

“Moana” was followed closely behind by newcomer “Office Christmas Party.” The raunchy comedy picked up $17.5 million from 3,210 locations, a solid result given its modest $45 million budget. DreamWorks and Reliance backed the film about a group of workers who organize a huge holiday bash in order to keep their branch from closing. Paramount is distributing the film. It boasts an ensemble cast that includes Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Kate McKinnon, Courtney B. Vance, and T.J. Miller (who made headlines this weekend following an altercation with an Uber driver).

It’s a ho-hum time for ticket sales. The movie business continues to be in a holding pattern, eagerly awaiting the arrival of “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” next week. That film is expected to score the second biggest December opening in history, earning more than $130 million in North America during its initial weekend.

Lionsgate’s “La La Land” hit the right notes in limited release. The critically acclaimed musical racked up $855,000 in only five theaters in New York and Los Angeles. That’s the year’s best per-screen average with $171,000, and the second best of all time for a specialty film, behind only “The Grand Budapest Hotel” ($202,792). “La La Land” is expected to be one of the year’s major Oscar contenders.

EuropaCorp’s “Miss Sloane” struggled in expansion. The political thriller about a lobbyist taking on the gun industry earned $1.9 million after moving from four theaters to 1,648 locations.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” took third place, earning $10.8 million. Its domestic total stands just under $200 million; a milestone it should cross on Monday. Paramount’s “Arrival” came in fourth with $5.6 million, pushing the science-fiction thriller’s gross to $81.5 million. Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” rounded out the top five, nabbing $4.6 million to push its stateside haul to $222.4 million.

Several Oscar hopefuls widened their reach this weekend. Focus Features’ “Nocturnal Animals” moved from 127 venues to 1,262 theaters, earning $3.2 million. The trippy Tom Ford thriller has made $6.2 million.

Amazon’s “Manchester by the Sea” is chugging along nicely. The acclaimed drama about a grieving janitor (Casey Affleck) more than doubled its screen count to 367 theaters, making $3.2 million in the process. The film has earned $8.3 million since opening last month and will be on roughly 1,200 screens beginning next weekend.

In its second weekend, Fox Searchlight’s “Jackie” moved from five to 21 theaters, grossing nearly $500,000, and pushing its total to $860,000 after ten days of release.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

I'm eagerly waiting more talk about La la Land. I can definitely see it winning best cinematography and perhaps best director. It'll probably give Moana a run for best original song too.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Moana - $239M
Fantastic Beasts - $680M
Doctor Strange - $646M
Arrival - $130M
Allied - $70M
Office Christmas Party - $34M
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $159M
Sully - $219M
Miss Peregrine's Home - $278M

Harmen

So many good films in a short while, really wished some of these released in the summer, which barely had any decent competition. Still, good to see most of these appear to perform well.

kswiston

La La Land's per theatre average is 10th of all time. 5th if you discount films that were only playing at a single venue.

Some of the old Disney films had ridiculous limited release PTAs. The Lion King made just under $1.6M from two theatres in its first weekend. I don't know if tickets were more expensive in those early showings, but with ticket price inflation, it could easily be over $1M a venue.

La La Land's per theatre average is 10th of all time. 5th if you discount films that were only playing at a single venue.

Some of the old Disney films had ridiculous limited release PTAs. The Lion King made just under $1.6M from two theatres in its first weekend. I don't know if tickets were more expensive in those early showings, but with ticket price inflation, it could easily be over $1M a venue.
I'm really hoping the January 6th wide release has great numbers. I absolutely love great musicals and MY GOD the cinematography is amazing.

We need more musicals greenlighted too. :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Be fucking crazy if next week Disney had 3 movies in Top 5

Star Wars, Moana, Dr. Strange (highly unlikely)

Seriously how lopsided is your pedigree, that you're competing with yourself lol

Ridiculous how the movies overlap each other, just due to legs, by the time 1 has made its money, another one is ready to go

BumRush

Be fucking crazy if next week Disney had 3 movies in Top 5

Star Wars, Moana, Dr. Strange (highly unlikely)

Seriously how lopsided is your pedigree, that you're competing with yourself lol

Ridiculous how the movies overlap each other, just due to legs, by the time 1 has made its money, another one is ready to go

Yeah, I was saying that in the last thread. Couldn't have played the release schedule game any better

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Went to see the release schedule for Disney next year...

8 (7.5) movies...

March 17 - Beauty and the Beast will be released.
May 5 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be released.
May 26 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be released.
June 16 - Cars 3 will be released.
July 7 - Spider-Man: Homecoming will be released.
November 3 - Thor: Ragnarok will be released.
November 22 - Coco will be released.
December 15 - Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released

Beauty and Guardians look like 800+ million, even 1B+
Pirates is the dark horse, I'm guessing 600+ mil
Cars 3 will be roughly 350+mil total (its the merchandise not movie Disney cares about)

Even though Spider-Man is Sony's, Disney will get real goodwill from movie making bank, that's why I had it @7.5 movies

Thor could do Dr. Strange numbers
Coco - No clue yet, but just use Moans is barometer
Star Wars - Fucking Juggernaut

Theoretically, Disney could have a better next year than this year...
Like when say a year underperformed by a few million even though they brought in billions through box office, people will be like Disney is doomed, I await those posts and threads

Schlorgan

I'm not sure about Spider-Man. I think it'll hit higher than than the last two but I don't know about it hitting $1b+. I will predict $850m-$875m ww, $275m-$300m dom.

Sulik2

So how many weeks at number 1 has Disney spent this year? Its seems like their movies have been on top basically since Civil War.

kswiston

So how many weeks at number 1 has Disney spent this year? Its seems like their movies have been on top basically since Civil War.

The Force Awakens took the first two weekends of the year, Zootopia got three #1s, The Jungle Book got three #1s, Civil war got 2, Finding Dory got 3, Doctor Strange got 2, and Moana got 3.

so 18 so far. Next weekend will make 19.

Went to see the release schedule for Disney next year...

8 (7.5) movies...

March 17 - Beauty and the Beast will be released.
May 5 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be released.
May 26 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be released.
June 16 - Cars 3 will be released.
July 7 - Spider-Man: Homecoming will be released.
November 3 - Thor: Ragnarok will be released.
November 22 - Coco will be released.
December 15 - Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released

Beauty and Guardians look like 800+ million, even 1B+
Pirates is the dark horse, I'm guessing 600+ mil
Cars 3 will be roughly 350+mil total (its the merchandise not movie Disney cares about)

Even though Spider-Man is Sony's, Disney will get real goodwill from movie making bank, that's why I had it @7.5 movies

Thor could do Dr. Strange numbers
Coco - No clue yet, but just use Moans is barometer
Star Wars - Fucking Juggernaut

Theoretically, Disney could have a better next year than this year...
Like when say a year underperformed by a few million even though they brought in billions through box office, people will be like Disney is doomed, I await those posts and threads

Worldwide? Pirates should do 900M$ easily. The latest one wasn't that great and it did 1B$.

kswiston

Worldwide? Pirates should do 900M$ easily. The latest one wasn't that great and it did 1B$.

Overseas exchange rates are way down at present (and I don't think next spring will be much different, but who knows with the US regime change).

With current exchange rates, the Pirates movies would look like this:

Dead Man's Chest: $947M
At World's End: $826M
On Stranger Tides: $814M

On Stranger Tides made $805M overseas in 2011 (which is why it finished over $1B, since it did poorly in the US/Canada). If you converted those same local currency amounts to USD using today's rates, it would be closer to $575M. Even if you want to throw in Ticket price inflation (which is fairly minor since 2011), On Stranger Tides misses $900M.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't believe the overseas gross for the movie is so low though. I get that it didn't get a wide release from the start, but 28 million on a good sci-fi movie that opened a month ago? I feel like somebody dropped the ball on that one.

The film has grossed over $48M WW - the graph presented in the OP is solely from the international territories SONY has. For example, in Australia the distributor is Roadshow and grossed over $5M there but not counted in the total.

See the following link: http://www.screendaily.com/news/fan...INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

The Lion King was playing only at El Capitan and the Radio City Music Hall during its first weekend. The El Capitan theater has an 1,100 seat capacity and is why all the largest PTAs are Disney animated films.* The Radio City Music Hall capacity was something around 5,000 at the time.

Here's a good article on that release: http://variety.com/1994/legit/news/lion-set-to-roar-at-radio-city-120480/
Records are made to be broken, but it’s going to be awfully hard to top the $ 3 million gross expected in the first week of “The Lion King’s” Radio City Music Hall engagement in New York. With a show rife with Rockettes, ticket prices are also heading skyward. Adults will be shelling out $ 26, while seniors and kids get in for $ 21.

*Edit: it's also because they release in just one theater, of course. TFA actually made over 700k at the Arclight Hollywood on opening weekend.

mcfrank

Just got out of La La Land - it was amazing. Huge grin on my face for the whole movie. Emma Stone is so good in it

kswiston

The only interesting "milestone" that remains for Dr. Strange is to see if it'll pass MoS total WW BO gross.

It should be close.

If Doctor Strange can avoid being annihilated by Rogue One next weekend, it may leg its way to $240M thanks to the holiday bump. The overseas take this weekend was pretty small, so existing territories aren't going to get much higher than $425M international. In that optimistic scenario, it easily overtakes Man of Steel, since even a poor Japanese performance will be well over $3M.

If next weekend's drop is 60% though, a finish around $235M becomes more likely. Maybe even a million or two lower. $8-10M out of Japan isn't all that unlikely but it isn't completely locked either.

Right now, I think Strange will squeeze by Man of Steel, but it is in for a big screen drop next weekend.

BumRush

It should be close.

If Doctor Strange can avoid being annihilated by Rogue One next weekend, it may leg its way to $240M thanks to the holiday bump. The overseas take this weekend was pretty small, so existing territories aren't going to get much higher than $425M international. In that optimistic scenario, it easily overtakes Man of Steel, since even a poor Japanese performance will be well over $3M.

If next weekend's drop is 60% though, a finish around $235M becomes more likely. Maybe even a million or two lower. $8-10M out of Japan isn't all that unlikely but it isn't completely locked either.

Right now, I think Strange will squeeze by Man of Steel, but it is in for a big screen drop next weekend.

You have to figure that rogue one WILL annihilate it.

kswiston

You have to figure that rogue one WILL annihilate it.

I guess the closest comparison from last year was Spectre, which opened on the same November weekend, had a little lower sixth weekend ($4.0M), an a similar sixth weekend screen count.

Spectre fell 65% when The Force Awakens opened. It also lost more than half of its venues. I suppose that is the worst case scenario. Strange has better general word of mouth, and Rogue One is not going to open to $250M. Maybe can hope for something in the 55-60% range instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom