• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•09-11•16 - Moana a Party pupuper, keeps top spot warm for Disney fam

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Any tracking on Ass Creed?

I haven't seen much, but boxoffice.com has it down for a $20M Fri-Sun and a total of $77M. It opens on a Wednesday.

They have also started to bump up their ridiculously low Sing estimate. It's now pegged at $30M Fri-Sun and $165M total. That still strikes me as way too low, but we'll see.

Passengers was downgraded to $31M Fri-Sun and $145M total.

All three of those films open next Wednesday.

shira

Bug Budget video game movies are DOA.
They need to Netflix or CG to improve the formula while saving money

tealcindeed.gif

I can't believe the overseas gross for the movie is so low though. I get that it didn't get a wide release from the start, but 28 million on a good sci-fi movie that opened a month ago? I feel like somebody dropped the ball on that one.

Wasn't released in China
kunk-rum.gif

Slayven

I haven't seen much, but boxoffice.com has it down for a $20M Fri-Sun and a total of $77M. It opens on a Wednesday.

They have also started to bump up their ridiculously low Sing estimate. It's now pegged at $30M Fri-Sun and $165M total. That still strikes me as way too low, but we'll see.

Passengers was downgraded to $31M Fri-Sun and $145M total.

All three of those films open next Wednesday.

Can't think of the last time a movie opened on a wednesday, why did they stop that?

I don't know what to think about Sing, on one hand it is a kid movie with pop culture references and bog standard jokes. It will probably make mad bank overseas. Do they translate the songs to?

kswiston

Can't think of the last time a movie opened on a wednesday, why did they stop that?

I don't know what to think about Sing, on one hand it is a kid movie with pop culture references and bog standard jokes. It will probably make mad bank overseas. Do they translate the songs to?

Moana, Allied, and Bad Santa 2 opened on Wednesday a couple weeks back. It's pretty common on holiday weekends.

I want Assassin's Creed to be good. Trailers have mostly been okay, but the director and cast are great for a video game adaptation. Writers? Not so much.

guek

Banned

Woof. That would be atrocious. Video game movies are still stuck where comicbook movies were before Blade and X-men.

kswiston

Woof. That would be atrocious. Video game movies are still stuck where comicbook movies were before Blade and X-men.

Comic book movies at least had Batman and Superman.

The Batman and Superman of videogame movies are Warcraft and Prince of Persia.

El Topo

They have to learn at some point that you must make a movie that is interesting and appealing on its own.

Comic book movies at least had Batman and Superman.

The Batman and Superman of videogame movies are Warcraft and Prince of Persia.

MORTAL KOMBAT

I thought Doom was good too.

It's not that you can make something decent from a game IP, it's just that most of the people involved understand neither games nor movies. Or one-sided, like Warcraft. That movie was okay, but the Orcs were better characters than the humans.

BumRush

I guess the closest comparison from last year was Spectre, which opened on the same November weekend, had a little lower sixth weekend ($4.0M), an a similar sixth weekend screen count.

Spectre fell 65% when The Force Awakens opened. It also lost more than half of its venues. I suppose that is the worst case scenario. Strange has better general word of mouth, and Rogue One is not going to open to $250M. Maybe can hope for something in the 55-60% range instead.

Only thing...I feel like Strange and R1 have much greater overlap than Spectre, but yeah, 65% would be a pretty stiff drop

I would say that this one was set to gain several pages on Friday, but Cheebo or BiggestGeekEver will probably have that Thursday preview thread up within 5 minutes of the number being reported.
You're goddamn right!

I'm pretty curious to see where the preview number lands. If it's over $35M, I can't really see it doing less than 160 for the weekend.

Schlorgan

Wasn't that the last Star Trek movie?

That's why I want him to do it. He already kind of made one.

Give me that movie where they build a full-size Mako and Normandy to film with and have all of the aliens done with practical effects like in Beyond and I'll be a happy man.

kswiston

From the Hollywood Reporter's Weekend Box Office Preview:

That's the mantra as Lucasfilm and Disney get ready to launch stand-alone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story at the worldwide box office. The film is widely expected to score the second-best December debut of all time behind last year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with a domestic opening of $135 million to $150 million for a global debut of $300 million to $350 million, according to bullish box-office observers.

Disney is being more conservative and saying $120 million to $150 million domestically, since December isn't historically known for huge box-office openings because of holiday preparations. The studio's overseas estimate is $130 million to $150 million for a worldwide tally of $250 million to $300 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r-wars-story-targets-300m-global-debut-955480

Deadline should have an article up soon.

Now that solid reviews for Rogue One are confirmed I think that $135-150M is not really all that bullish a prediction.

Zackat

I saw Fantastic Beasts yesterday. I loved the aesthetic, looking forward to more movies in the Potter universe.

They started the countdown clock for some Illvermorny movies in earnest

kswiston

Deadline has a box office article up about the Holiday period

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-o...y-will-smith-christmas-box-office-1201869720/

They are putting 6 day opening tracking (Wed, Dec 21st to Mon Dec 26th) at around $70M for Sing, $50M+ for Passengers, and mid-high $20M for Assassins Creed. Why Him opens on Friday, Dec 23rd and is expected to make $16M+ over 4 days.

This weekend they still have Rogue One at $140M+, Collateral Beauty at $10-12M, and Manchester By the Sea around $6M (it expands to around 1k venues).

Despite the great cast and look, I ain't going to lie, I thought the trailers for AssCreed looked pretty shitty. Like, nothing specific I could put my finger on, but something about all of them just seemed...not great? I'm really not surprised to see it bomb. Something about it just doesn't seem quite there from the previews.

To me AC's trailers always felt like Fox was desperately trying to hide that the past scenes are subtitled. It's only in the last two weeks that they've actually started showing more than just atmospheric shots.

Huh, didn't know Ass Creed's past scenes were all subtitled. That actually makes me more interested in the movie, but there's like no chance it doesn't tank domestically. North American audiences will only watch a foreign language film if it features Jesus getting tortured for 90 minutes.

guek

Banned
So Dr. Strange recently passed The Dank World worldwide and domestically. Congratulations are in order (though Winter Soldier's gross still suplexes beyond its reach)

Sulik2

Whoever decided to release two SciFi action movies on the second week of a star wars film should be fired. AC should have come out two weeks ago and passengers in November.

BumRush

Swiss, update us on the Rogue One expectations. 85% RT plus Bobby's positive review has me expecting big things.

kswiston

Swiss, update us on the Rogue One expectations. 85% RT plus Bobby's positive review has me expecting big things.

First actual overseas numbers should be in tomorrow, but it looks like some markets like France will be down around 50% (maybe more) from TFA's opening.

The trades are just repeating the $130-150M+ tracking. We should start seeing box office predictions from other sites either tonight or tomorrow.

I think dropping about 50% from TFA in all highly developed markets should be expected. The only place I'd expect to see growth in is China, where Star Wars is still a new brand. Maybe some smaller Asian and Latin American markets.

BumRush

First actual overseas numbers should be in tomorrow, but it looks like some markets like France will be down around 50% (maybe more) from TFA's opening.

The trades are just repeating the $130-150M+ tracking. We should start seeing box office predictions from other sites either tonight or tomorrow.

Damn, 50% down? Even if that played out, it would still head for a billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom