• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•28-30•16 - Audiences over Dr. Langdon, want Dr. Strange ($86m intl. open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tarzan did pretty well for itself if it weren't for that outlandish budget of $180M

Its worth remembering a lot of these films have very fiddly accounting. For instance, much of Tarzan was shot and edited at the WB lot in London and it was partially financed by third parties. So its entirely possible that the Tarzan film 'paid' WB $20M or whatever for the access to facilities. Thats an expense for the movie but revenue for the studio.

kswiston

Is Korea similar to china in its studio take, or more like europe?

In between? I don't really know what the specific studio cut is in South Korea. There was an article from the Wall Street Journal a couple of years ago that looked at expected earnings through one decade of release in various countries for every dollar earned at the box office in that territory.

In the US, $1 in box office was expected to translate to $1.75 over 10 years ($0.50 or so from the theatrical cut, $0.4 from home video, $0.6 from TV deals, $0.25 from digital).

In China, $1 boxoffice was expected to translate to $0.27 for the studio in 10 years ($0.25 box office cut, $0.02 everything else).

UK was expected to return $1.30 per $1 box office. Japan $0.83, Russia $0.65, South Korea $0.55

Things might have changed some in the past two years (we are in the middle of a transition in how people consume movies at home), but I think the article is broadly applicable.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-hollywood-not-all-box-office-dollars-are-equal-1409241925

Slayven

Could not be happier that Inferno bombed. Fuck that transumanist trash. Brown lost his God damned mind with that ending.

Knowing the ending i expected the movie to end in one of those sitcom freeze frames where everyone is laughing at a corny joke

BumRush

In between? I don't really know what the specific studio cut is in South Korea. There was an article from the Wall Street Journal a couple of years ago that looked at expected earnings through one decade of release in various countries for every dollar earned at the box office in that territory.

In the US, $1 in box office was expected to translate to $1.75 over 10 years ($0.50 or so from the theatrical cut, $0.4 from home video, $0.6 from TV deals, $0.25 from digital).

In China, $1 boxoffice was expected to translate to $0.27 for the studio in 10 years ($0.25 box office cut, $0.02 everything else).

UK was expected to return $1.30 per $1 box office. Japan $0.83, Russia $0.65, South Korea $0.55

Things might have changed some in the past two years (we are in the middle of a transition in how people consume movies at home), but I think the article is broadly applicable.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-hollywood-not-all-box-office-dollars-are-equal-1409241925

Amazing post as always. This is the stuff I love.

NR1

I watched Jack Reacher yesterday.

Jack Reacher was really good. It has like a 30% rotten score on Tomatoes... then again Ghostbusters is certified fresh... so. Not as good as the first though, but still solid.

It'd be hilarious if Dr Strange turns out to be the biggest comic book property.

All it needed was a good movie and the property zooms past Supes, Bats, Spider, Iron.

kswiston

Doctor Strange's run will be interesting to watch.

EU/Australian numbers seem to be running at about 1/2 of Civil War's opening on average. Taiwan's opening was bigger than Civil War, and the other Asian Territories seem to be closer to that range than they are to the solo Marvel films. Mexico on the other hand is way under what Civil War did in May.

Civil War made ~$550M overseas minus China. Civil War also had terrible legs worldwide.

I am going to guess around $350M overseas for Doctor Strange right now, not counting China.

EDIT: Taiwan not Thailand.

pestul

That would be an impressive total for Strange, where north of $500-600M WW could happen. I didn't expect that at all. I figured $450-500M would be great for this one.

kswiston

I had it better than Ant-Man overall (closer to 600M). Looks like it could go higher.

I don't think that Chinese presales are all that great at the moment, but WOM might start to kick in now that the film is out in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

I have no idea where China will land. Maybe $75M on the lower end and $125M on the crazy high end?

Even at the low end, Strange seems to be in a pretty good position for $600M. If the domestic take is at least $200M and China is in the middle of my range, it could end up somewhere between Thor 2 and Cap 2.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm guessing Fiction bought out her theater for Dr. Strange for the next weekend, all shows

She's gonna carry that movie to 600+ million I guarantee it!

They took FAR too long to make Inferno, and Angels & Demons for that matter.

There should have been two sequels (replace Inferno with The Lost Symbol) made before 2010. Da Vinci Code would still have been fresh and they would've made bank on that alone.

Most people probably don't even know it's a sequel. I didn't until a couple days ago.

Marketing department needs to be fired then.

Litan

They took FAR too long to make Inferno, and Angels & Demons for that matter.

There should have been two sequels (replace Inferno with The Lost Symbol) made before 2010. Da Vinci Code would still have been fresh and they would've made bank on that alone.
Most people probably don't even know it's a sequel. I didn't until a couple days ago.

200w.gif

Litan

Also, Fantastic Beasts, another magic-based movie releases not too long after.
Looking forward to see how they match up critically and in the box-office.

Oersted

I watched Jack Reacher yesterday.

Jack Reacher was really good. It has like a 30% rotten score on Tomatoes... then again Ghostbusters is certified fresh... so. Not as good as the first though, but still solid.

Reacher has a average score of 5.1, Ghostbusters 6.5.

Meanwhile Doctor Strange is 92 % on a 7.3 average score.

Rotten is funny that way.

Schlorgan

Reacher has a average score of 5.1, Ghostbusters 6.5.

Meanwhile Doctor Strange is 92 % on a 7.3 average score.

Rotten is funny that way.

Jack Reacher got a lot of 5/10 (Rotten) scores and Ghostbusters got a lot of 6/10 (Fresh) scores. Movies that ride that 5-6 line can go either way, that's how the Tomatometer works.

Haven't seen Reacher 2, but if it's "not as good as the first," then it's pretty easy to see why a majority of critics didn't enjoy it. The first was a silly story driven by an uninteresting character with passable action scenes.

3N16MA

Banned
Haven't seen Reacher 2, but if it's "not as good as the first," then it's pretty easy to see why a majority of critics didn't enjoy it. The first was a silly story driven by an uninteresting character with passable action scenes.

The first film was bland. Felt like a generic action flick. It was worth a one time watch for Cruise as he always elevates a film.

The first film was bland. Felt like a generic action flick. It was worth a one time watch for Cruise as he always elevates a film.
Yeah, it's very... standard.

And I had trouble keeping a straight face as all these other characters stand around and tell me "Jack Reacher is this really awesome guy who nobody knows how to find, but he just shows up when you say his name 3 times to beat up all the bad guys, solve all the cases, hang out with the hottest women, and drive all the coolest cars. And then he doesn't care about the law or being a hero because he's just that damn awesome." I like my blatant male wish-fulfillment fantasies to be a little more subtle.

Lothar

Banned
Saw Madea yesterday. The crowd was laughing the entire time. Not small laughs either, deep laughs. If you ever want to know why it's so popular, watch it in a theater.

I liked it a lot and I don't usually like Madea movies. I just go because my sister likes them. This one was my favorite of the ones i've seen because it didn't have many serious or singing parts that always bogs down the movies and makes them boring for me.

Toth

Inferno bombed? I'm in no way surprised, at all. There is just no demand for this as a franchise.

Yet another Sony blunder.

With that international take, I wouldn't say so. The series seems to have far more of an international appeal now, although I rather have seen the Lost Symbol adapted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom