• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•03-05•17 - Peeps Get Out to see R-rated Logan & Xavier Shack up, kid in tow

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

(<3 u, kswiston!)
7vK8LDA.jpg
z6hbIzo.jpg
fV9HJLL.jpg
Lxgfwio.jpg
T9iWFNo.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
93% Logan
9wcOG.gif
99% Get Out
8mB0Q.gif
16% The Shack
8vteV.gif
91% The Lego Batman Movie
0hJB1.gif
68% Before I Fall
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
20% Table 19

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

&#8216;Logan' Roars With Massive $85.3 Million Debut

”Logan" tore into the weekend box office, opening to a massive $85.3 million and proving that moviegoers will show up in force for R-rated comic book movies. The superhero spinoff marks Hugh Jackman's last turn as Wolverine after 17 years of donning the adamantium claws.

As the movie business grows more saturated with stories about costumed vigilantes, studios are trying to find ways to differentiate their own comic book adaptations. Like ”Deadpool" before it, ”Logan" demonstrates that adults will turn out for tentpole fare that is bloodier and more profane than your average X-Men movie.

”Logan" was produced by 20th Century Fox and cost $97 million to make. Set in the near future, it follows Wolverine and an ailing Professor X (Patrick Stewart), who leaving their hiding place on the Mexican border to help a young mutant (Dafne Keen). James Mangold, who previously collaborated with Jackman on 2013's ”The Wolverine," directed the movie and co-wrote the screenplay. ”Logan" takes its inspiration from ”Old Man Logan," an acclaimed 2008 graphic novel that's long been a fan favorite for its darker take on the hero.

”The movie is one of the truest movies to the source material in the comic book universe that's ever been done," said Chris Aronson, Fox's domestic distribution chief. ”It's so real, it's so emotional, and it's so visceral."

Critics embraced the film, hailing it as a comic book movie with bite, with Variety's Owen Gleiberman writing that ”Logan" ”...brings the saga to a satisfying finish." The audience for the film was older and male-skewing &#8211; men made up 63% of ticket buyers, with 68% of the opening weekend crowd clocking in over the age of 25.

Despite ”Logan's" dominance, Blumhouse and Universal's ”Get Out" keeps going strong. The low-budget thriller racked up $26.1 million, bringing its domestic haul to $75.9 million. That's an impressive return for a film that cost less than $5 million to make.

Lionsgate's ”The Shack" took third place, earning a solid $16.1 million in its first weekend in theaters. The faith-based drama stars Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer and cost $26 million to produce. ”The Shack" centers on a man (Sam Worthington) whose religious beliefs are tested following a family tragedy.

Warner Bros.' ”The Lego Batman Movie" and Open Road's ”Before I Fall" rounded out the top five, earning $11.6 million and $4.9 million, respectively. That pushes the Lego spinoff's box office total to $148.6 million. ”Before I Fall" is a young adult movie about a teenager (Zoey Dutch) who is stuck reliving her last day on earth until she gets it right.

Fresh off its best picture win, A24's ”Moonlight" grossed over $2.5 million and crossed the $25 million mark. The indie studio expects the coming-of-age drama to be the highest-grossing film in its history. That said, ”Moonlight," which focuses on a young man growing up gay in Miami, is one of the least widely seen best picture winners, trailing the likes of ”Spotlight" ($45 million, domestically ) and ”Birdman" ($42.3 million, domestically). It has grossed more than ”The Hurt Locker," the 2009 victor that made just over $17 million stateside.

Bleecker Street's ”The Last Word" opened to $35,620 in limited release. The story of an aging businesswoman (Shirley MacLaine) who enlists a writer (Amanda Seyfried) to pen her obituary, screened in four locations last weekend.

”Logan's" success turbocharged the domestic box office, lifting ticket sales up 12% over the prior-year period, when ”Zootopia" debuted to $75.1 million. It also gets March off to a hot start. This month sees the openings of ”Beauty and the Beast" and ”Kong: Skull Island," both of which are on pace to score big debuts.

”This is going to be a banner month," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with ComScore. ”It's going to end up being one of the biggest, if not the biggest March ever."

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Prompto

Banned
Great to see Logan debuting that high. Definitely going to make more than Apocaplyse now. Wow at how little Get Out dropped.

And surprised by Lego Batman's performance. Sucks it's not doing better.

kswiston

$238M worldwide for Logan. Just under $50M from China.

From the last thread, since there is no point on responding there now:

Do not think that. Really heavy competition next week and the next again. Kong next week. And the week after Beauty & Beast.

Neither will matter much, especially since that's pretty much all of the competition in the next two weeks. March box office has been picking up in recent years, but this still isn't summer, where we would be getting 2-4 movies a week that need 2500-4000 venues.

Days of Future Past made $262M in its first weekend, from more or less the same territories. DOFP was on its way to just shy of $750M. Deadpool had a similar WW opening and even larger finish. $600M would be poor legs in comparison. Same legs as DOFP would be closer to $680M.

Get Out is gonna get $100 million domestic, isn't it?

Good numbers for Logan as expected. Great movie, and a fitting end to the old X-Men timeline.

Looks like JW2 is going to top out around $85-88 million. I wish it were more, but we'll get a third movie anyway.

Tagyhag

It's interesting how these early months used to be for basically mediocre films, and now more and more huge blockbusters are taking advantage of the open space.

Sean C

What's next for Fox? X force?

Edit: forgot about new mutants
As you say, New Mutants, and whatever the film being developed under the Supernova title ends up being called (they've indicated it's a placeholder). And Deadpool 2, of course.

J_Viper

Really happy for The Jacked Man and Mangold. I knew the dude who directed 3:10 to Yuma could deliver something excellent.

Kind of a crosspost, but I wonder how WB reacts to Logan's success, since they sure love trying to copy their competition.

Maybe an R-rated Suicide Squad 2 helmed by Crazy Mel isn't a pipe dream anymore.

kswiston

Get Out is gonna $100 million domestic, isn't it?

Good numbers for Logan as expected.

Looks like JW2 is going to top out around $85-88 million. I wish it were more, but we'll get a third movie anyway.

Get Out is probably heading to $150M+ domestic

JW2 will at least break $90M

Buckle

Not surprised Logan is doing well. Great trailers and concept.

First X-Men movie I'm actually of thinking of going to see in theaters.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Get Out is a well produced and decent looking and acting film for fucking 5 million production budget. Thats crazy. Bradley Whitford has this great habit of appearing in surprising indie movies that are awesome. I remember liking him in Cabin in the Woods too. Same type of surprise for me as Get Out.

Bronx-Man

Banned
From last thread:

Yeah, hopefully Universal has a solid campaign later this year and reminds the Academy that this movie shouldn't be overlooked simply because it released in February.
If Deadpool can get multiple award noms despite being out in Feb, I don't see why Get Out can't.

If Deadpool can get multiple award noms despite being out in Feb, I don't see why Get Out can't.

It's all about whether the studio has the budget and the werewithal to push the thing to voters when Oscar Season begins.

Silence of the Lambs was a horror film that released in the spring, for example.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $238M
Lego Batman Movie - $257M
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - $294M
John Wick Ch2 - $144M
La La Land - $395M
Moana - $586M

Get Out is a well produced and decent looking and acting film for fucking 5 million production budget. Thats crazy. Bradley Whitford has this great habit of appearing in surprising indie movies that are awesome. I remember liking him in Cabin in the Woods too. Same type of surprise for me as Get Out.

I havent seen Get Out(maybe next weekend) yet but Im with you on Bradley Whitford, that dude is great.

Nice showing for Logan. Fox doing well with the R rated comic movies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's all about whether the studio has the budget and the werewithal to push the thing to voters when Oscar Season begins.

Silence of the Lambs was a horror film that released in the spring, for example.
I hope Universal goes for it if they've ot the budget. I can easily see this winning Best Original Screenplay.

I hope Universal goes for it if they've ot the budget. I can easily see this winning Best Original Screenplay.

Random question, haven't seen Logan yet would it be original or adapted screenplay? Because from what I've gathered it is rooted in the Old Man Logan book but is a very different story.

Sean C

Random question, haven't seen Logan yet would it be original or adapted screenplay? Because from what I've gathered it is rooted in the Old Man Logan book but is a very different story.
The mere fact that it uses comic book characters makes it adapted from the Academy's perspective, as does the fact that it's a sequel. All sequels are considered adapted, even if they're sequels to original movies.

kswiston

There are a lot of academy member types that really dislike the entire genre. Suicide Squad was the first superhero film to win something since The Dark Knight.

Even in the visual effects category, there seems to be fewer superhero films being nominated in the past couple of years.

Ninjimbo

Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $238M
Lego Batman Movie - $257M
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - $294M
John Wick Ch2 - $144M
La La Land - $395M
Moana - $586M
Are those numbers good for Lego Batman? It's probably made a profit but it seems kinda low for the hype it had.

There are a lot of academy member types that really dislike the entire genre.

TBF, the genre wasn't doing itself any favors in it's efforts to legitimize itself to this point.

Instead of making movies that happen to be superhero films, they continuously make product that targets a specific audience and hardly diverts from the path.

Logan is to current comic book movies what Creed was to Rocky 3 and 4.

kswiston

Are those numbers good for Lego Batman? It's probably made a profit but it seems kinda low for the hype it had.

Not really, no. Lego Batman has a handful of territories left to open in, but I think we are looking at around $325M as its final total. International audiences were especially indifferent to it (outside of the UK).

The only Oscar nom I can see Logan getting is Best Supporting Actor for Patrick Stewart.

I was talking about this in the thread about JJ Abrams half-joking about Mark Hamill getting a nom for The Last Jedi: Academy members love nominating people for the feel-good story of nominating them. Especially if they can do that for an actor who everyone loves but has never been recognized before.

If Fox is smart, they will absolutely push Patrick Stewart for Xavier, same way WB pushed Stallone for Creed. Same way Disney should try pushing Hamill for Jedi.

It's the Oscars: It's not really about the performances sometimes. It's about letting the voters feel like they're part of a narrative where they do the right thing by the right people.

Ninjimbo

Not really, no. Lego Batman has a handful of territories left to open in, but I think we are looking at around $325M as its final total. International audiences were especially indifferent to it (outside of the UK).
Ah, bummer. I haven't seen it yet but it always sucks to see a well-made movie have trouble meeting expectations. That said, I'm not that surprised international audiences were down on it. Anything having to do with the Lego franchise has always felt exclusive to kids with little appeal outside that demographic. I'm not expecting people to make watching Lego Batman any sort of priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom