• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•03-05•17 - Peeps Get Out to see R-rated Logan & Xavier Shack up, kid in tow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Moonlight is already out on disc so that may be the reason why it's not getting big Oscar boost.

As good as it is, Moonlight is not the sort of film that was ever going to make a ton of money at the box office.

Over $25M domestic is a pretty good run. If Moonlight was released later, it migh of benefited from a big Oscar win, but as you said, it is already on home media. The film's budget was $1.5M. Seeing as it is about to pass Ex Machina as A24's biggest release to date, I doubt marketing was sky high either. The awards campaign provided most of the Moonlight's exposure.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
50 Shades of Grey, Lucy, and The King's Speech are the only other $40M and under Hollywood films to break $400M WW since 2010.

Goddamn how did they make lucy that cheap?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit, great worldwide weekend for Logan. Movie deserves all the success.

I remember several people predicting that Lego Batman would outperform Wonder Woman. After those numbers, I highly doubt it will. I never thought it would myself, but a lot of people are betting hard against WW.

overcast

Great for Logan (haven't seen it tbh but love Jackman/Stewart's portrayals) and Get Out. Lot of stuff to be happy about in movies already this year. Those two + John Wick 2 + Splits successes are just great to see.

La La Land's take is nuts too.

Mimosa97

King's Speech in 2010? $15 million production budget and made over $400 million.

50 Shades of Grey, Lucy, and The King's Speech are the only other $40M and under Hollywood films to break $400M WW since 2010.

2 mega turds and one very good movie. Could be worse I guess lol

Still I bet 50 shades and Lucy spent like twice their budget in Marketing ... Not really comparable. King's speech was a beast.

After it's over, please list the trailers before it here. Want to see what the difference is compared to Sweden.

For what it's worth, here's what I saw trailers for before my screening yesterday:

Alien: Covenant
Life
CHiPS (Red Band)
Kong: Skull Island
Ghost in the Shell
The Fate of the Furious

I think that was it.

2 mega turds and one very good movie. Could be worse I guess lol

Still I bet 50 shades and Lucy spent like twice their budget in Marketing ... Not really comparable. King's speech was a beast.

You think they haven't marketed La La Land a bunch? Oscar campaigns do cost money.

bengraven

Good job The Shack. You go to prove that despite the media and reviewers' liberal bias, Jesus Christ and true Americans will show the pro-immigration Logan and pro-homosexual Batman and Robin who's the true King.

y2dvd

Great start for Logan. If this is the direction wants to continue in, then they can keep the Xmen franchise.

kswiston

Good job The Shack. You go to prove that despite the media and reviewers' liberal bias, Jesus Christ and true Americans will show the pro-immigration Logan and pro-homosexual Batman and Robin who's the true King.

I wonder if making the physical manifestations of the Holy Trinity minorities put off some of the traditional Baptist Christian audience that flocks to these sorts of films. Or maybe magical minorities are fine as long as they are helping with the healing process of a white dude.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I see what day you skipped there.

We'll, it is know.

4gQUb.jpg

Same. Not a lot of comp either.
Maybe DC brand has problems?

If public reception to DC has been stained so hard that that the first actually good DC film in years can't do great legs; imagine what the legs would be for Wonder Woman and Justice League if/when they continue(d) the trend of DCEU films being cinematic clunkers ...

Continuing the DCEU would arguably be inadmissible by that point. (That and the box office threads would have just as much schadenfreude as the review threads would, if not moreso... :p)

First actually good dc movie in years? Lego Batman starts strong but gets pretty damn derivative and played out after the half way mark

I'm having a hard time calling it better than tdkr or BvS even.

Maybe people weren't interested in Lego Batman as we thought.

I think that's it at the end of the day. It was front loaded for the kiddie, but it's not the type of Batman or superhero movie that people want to keep going back to We'll see how Wonder Woman does. A lot are hoping hard for its failure but I think it'll do well.

it's just great that The Great Wall got it's ass kicked by A Dog's Purpose

and Get Out finally made money with it's $5 mill budget when it hit $75 mill this week

DeathyBoy

Banned
Same. Not a lot of comp either.
Maybe DC brand has problems?

If anything, it's proof that people want to see the DCEU more than anything. Lego Batman got sterling reviews and everyone I've spoke to loved it, but it's going to be lucky to make half of what Suicide Squad made worldwide, despite being a far better film. And I say that as someone who likes Suicide Squad/BVS.

TBF, the genre wasn't doing itself any favors in it's efforts to legitimize itself to this point.

Instead of making movies that happen to be superhero films, they continuously make product that targets a specific audience and hardly diverts from the path.

Logan is to current comic book movies what Creed was to Rocky 3 and 4.

??? Creed was a nice film but was a cookie cutter Rocky movie, through and through. The arc and nuance in his character wasnt even as involved or well done as Rocky 3, and the best acting in Creed was Stallone slipping into Rocky one more time, not Michael B. Jordan showing his 2 note range (cocky charmer and petulant wannabe tough guy).

??? Creed was a nice film but was a cookie cutter Rocky movie, through and through. The arc and nuance in his character wasnt even as involved or well done as Rocky 3, and the best acting in Creed was Stallone slipping into Rocky one more time, not Michael B. Jordan showing his 2 note range (cocky charmer and petulant wannabe tough guy).

Holy shit

J_Viper

I wonder if Logan blowing up and Lego Batman making less than expected means younger kids nowadays are ready for R-rated/seriously toned comic book movies.

I was surprised at how many parents brought their kids to my showing of Logan, and none of them burst into tears and caused a scene or anything.

I agree, I didn't get the gushing for Creed. I thought Rocky Balboa was better in every way.

I was surprised at how many parents brought their kids to my showing of Logan, and none of them burst into tears and caused a scene or anything.

How is that even allowed? I remember Red Letter Media joking about the number of kids who were in their showing of Deadpool as well. Here in the UK if a film is rated 18 it means that no-one under 18 is allowed in to see it. Does the 'R' rating allow younger people into the showing provided they're accompanied by an adult?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom