• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•03-05•17 - Peeps Get Out to see R-rated Logan & Xavier Shack up, kid in tow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

As shown in the updated Mojo chart, Moonlight increased 260% to $2.5M this weekend. It will still likely end its run as the second lowest grossing Best Picture winner in over 40 years (The Hurt Locker only made $17M).

Ah, bummer. I haven't seen it yet but it always sucks to see a well-made movie have trouble meeting expectations. That said, I'm not that surprised international audiences were down on it. Anything having to do with the Lego franchise has always felt exclusive to kids with little appeal outside that demographic. I'm not expecting people to make watching Lego Batman any sort of priority.

Lego Batman was really heavy on cultural references too. Especially to past Batman pop-culture.

andthebeatgoeson

I hope you didn't just spoil Get Out for me.
Because god help me if you just fucking did breh.

I usually don't give a shit about spoilers, but this movie has a twist you may have ruined just now :(
Uh oh
maxresdefault.jpg

Lego Batman's performance makes me wonder about the prevalence of hardcore batman fans outside of the U.S., because most of the gags in that film really only land if you're familiar with every single iteration of that character, much of which might not have penetrated foreign mindshare the way the larger exports like the movies did. Do foreign audiences even remember more than two of the actors who played him on film?

yeah, Lego Bats is really fun if you're into all things Batman, but I can imagine that joy in lines like (against the Joker) "so like that time with the two boats" would be missing if you didn't immediately grasp what it references. I thought it was great, but then I do know most references as far as movie Bats goes.

Also (spoiler for Lego Batman):
"You complete me". Now I can't hear that without hearing Batman laughing. And to think I've never even watched Jerry McGuire.

Seems like Logan actually IS going to beat Apocalypse. It ain't over till it's over, but now we're going to need a Jackman laughing gif for reference purposes. I know it's in poor taste, but I just know we're all secretly looking forward to WW's RT thread as a precursor to JL's where that would get a lot of use.

Lego movie did a lot better than people were expecting, if I remember right. Up until reviews started to roll in people were still iffy on the idea of it being anything but cheesy extended advertising. And then it turned out Lord & Miller made an honest to God movie out of it.

I was expecting that film's unexpected popularity and pop-culture impact to have boosted Lego Batman a little more, basically.

Prompto

Banned
I was expecting Lego Batman to basically do as well as Logan is doing and vice versa. Figured the family friendly animated Batman movie would easily outgross the R-rated Wolverine flick.

Also it's a shame Moonlight didn't get a bigger boost.

Apocalypse Now made $150 million, Logan already surpassed that worldwide, not a big prediction from you mister.
giphy.gif

kswiston

Lego movie did a lot better than people were expecting, if I remember right. Up until reviews started to roll in people were still iffy on the idea of it being anything but cheesy extended advertising. And then it turned out Lord & Miller made an honest to God movie out of it.

I was expecting that film's unexpected popularity and pop-culture impact to have boosted Lego Batman a little more, basically.

The Lego Movie did really well domestically, and pretty mediocre for big budget animation overseas. It made $211M outside of the US/Canada. On par with stuff like The Good Dinosaur and Rise of the Guardians.

One of the best sueprhero films ever deserves great box office, hope to see it continue. Ugh can't wait for Get Out, just 12 days left.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Kong is going to have an audience?

Overseas most definitely. Domestically, I see an opening of $40-50M.

Side note, xXx should finish with $340M WW, not bad. Don't know if it's enough to greenlight a sequel though.

GhaleonEB

Really glad to see both John Wick 2 and Get Out doing good numbers. Things have gotten so top-heavy with big animation, super hero and action budgets that it's nice to see audiences turn out for smaller budget films. I don't know if it's out of trend with past years, but it feels like there are a few more small and mid-range budgeted success stories recently.

Good for Logan. I was actually worried that Deadpool's success would be a blip and wouldn't lead to more R-rated CBM action films. Hopefully there are more, thanks to success of Logan.

The Wolverine ended up making more than Origins at least.

Domestically it dropped quite a bit, though.

This is a drum I will beat until I'm dead: Logan's debut proves Bryan Singer needs to stay away from these movies. And what's-his-face - the X screenwriter, him too.

BumRush

Really glad to see both John Wick 2 and Get Out doing good numbers. Things have gotten so top-heavy with big animation, super hero and action budgets that it's nice to see audiences turn out for smaller budget films. I don't know if it's out of trend with past years, but it feels like there are a few more small and mid-range budgeted success stories recently.

On business for a few days and have to decide between JW2, Logan and Get Out (all of which my wife probably wouldn't love). Surprisingly difficult decision.

Mimosa97

Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $238M
Lego Batman Movie - $257M
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - $294M
John Wick Ch2 - $144M
La La Land - $395M
Moana - $586M

Why is no one talking about la la land ? +400M worldwide on a 30M budget is amazing. I haven't seen this in a while. When was the last time a movie with a budget under 40M made so much money WW ?

Mimosa97

I havent seen Get Out(maybe next weekend) yet but Im with you on Bradley Whitford, that dude is great.

Nice showing for Logan. Fox doing well with the R rated comic movies.

Holy shit ! I saw the movie and I did not recognize Bradley whitford. I knew that face looked familiar !

louiedog

Why is no one talking about la la land ? +400M worldwide on a 30M budget is amazing. I haven't seen this in a while. When was the last time a movie with a budget under 40M made so much money WW ?

King's Speech in 2010? $15 million production budget and made over $400 million.

kswiston

50 Shades of Grey, Lucy, and The King's Speech are the only other $40M and under Hollywood films to break $400M WW since 2010.

Oersted

Me too. I thought for sure it would have landed harder than it actually did.

Truth to be told, I don't see the appeal to the masses well communicated. Its sold as a kids movie with tons of popculture and in particular Batman references. The kids won't get that and grownups don't go at large in such movies. They go in Deadpool to see their "Oh, he is so selfaware" cartoony superhero.

Lego Movie was sold trough imagination, a catchy tune and being new. Lego Bats lacks that.

Mrbob

Lego Batman isn't going to pass Resident Evil worldwide really? Lol. WB can't be happy with those numbers.

J_Viper

I'm thinking Logan isn't going to have amazing legs. It's just a heavy film to take in.

It sure is, but I think there was plenty of action and humor to offset how depressing it could be.

My crowd was certainly into it. Plenty of gasps, cheers, laughter, and of course, sobbing.

SFenton

Really hope the X-Men lesson Fox takes from Deadpool and Logan is "let people who understand the property drive the vision", not "oh hey so this R rated thing is working yeah?".

So far, they're 2/2 on them, which is good. Would be interesting to see Fox make the most successful non-genre conforming superhero movies, but also reignite the interest in adult oriented action flicks- which Wick and Kingsman (also Fox!) seem to be doing as well.

Interestingly, with Kingsman 2 this year, Fox will likely own the R rated action demographic and box office for 2017.

Surprised Lego Batman isn't doing better.

Me too, but I also saw the Lego Movie three times and Batman, while good, only warranted once for me. Maybe the same for others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom