• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Without warning Nintendo delists over 250 DSiWare Games from the eShop

Classic Nintendo move......

Is what i would've said but i'm guessing most of these mini games are already on Switch/other platforms.

Guilty_AI

The wonders of a digital only future. The only way to back up some of these games for future use is to hack the device they are on and back up the nand drive/hard drive they are on and dump them to your PC.
I mean, digital does works wonders in PC.
It could work without these sort of issues on consoles too, if the platform holders didn't insist on having such iron grip control over their digital content.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

How does delisting work on Nintendo consoles? Are they gone for good even if you purchased them or can you redownload them?

Impotaku

How does delisting work on Nintendo consoles? Are they gone for good even if you purchased them or can you redownload them?
Same as other consoles they are unavailable to buy but you can redownload them if you bought them before the only time this will end is when the shop closes for good like on the wii.

00_Zer0

I mean, digital does works wonders in PC.
It could work without these sort of issues on consoles too, if the platform holders didn't insist on having iron grip control over digital content.
Yes, removing them altogether is the worst case scenario, but third party companies have been guilty, even on PC, of removing original releases then forced users that didn't already have the game to get a remastered version.

I love digital only on PC, but you have to wonder if backwards compatibility will last forever. Just look at those games from late 90's to early 2000's that won't even work on Windows 10 anymore, and those are physical media. The only hope for those games are to install an older operating system just to be able to play them again. This scenario could eventually happen to our digital games on PC too.

Fake

If you already download the game and the same game don't have any DRM in place will works just fine. If the game stop to working or you uninstall for some reason you can't redownload again, aka you'll lost this game forever.

Guilty_AI

Yes, removing them altogether is the worst case scenario, but third party companies have been guilty, even on PC, of removing original releases then forced users that didn't already have the game to get a remastered version.
Yes, but not all of them. And there are still ways to access old versions, even without having to rely on piracy sometimes.
And thats all assuming you didn't had your game saved in the first place

I love digital only on PC, but you have to wonder if backwards compatibility will last forever. Just look at those games from late 90's to early 2000's that won't even work on Windows 10 anymore, and those are physical media. The only hope for those games are to install an older operating system just to be able to play them again. This scenario could eventually happen to our digital games on PC too.
Yeah, but backwards compatibility is an issue in gaming as a whole.
If you want to play a PS3 game you'll have to get your hands on the console, which honestly can be much harder than simply downloading and installing old operating systems, or setting up virtual machines, or using a bunch of workarounds and community patches to work on a modern system.
Ironically it can end up being more convenient to set up an emulator on PC if you want to play a ps3 game.

00_Zer0

Wii Virtual Console is gone for good, if I am not mistaken. Can't redownload them even if you own them.
I regret selling my Wii off and losing access to all Virtual Console games I used to own. If I would have kept it I could have backed up all my games to be able to play on a different Wii in the future (if it would have broken down) or have the option to play the backups through emulation. Nintendo didn't even have a proper account system way back then to recover your games.

At one point I was even able to access proof of purchase history on every Wii game I purchased digitally on the Wii Shop; however, Nintendo decided to delete that from existence. Now I can no longer know how much money I threw away.

I'm never going to let a console maker screw me over again if I can help it. I have a Switch that is capable of being hacked. When the lifecycle of the Switch is done I'm going to hack it and back up every cartridge and digital download that I own.

00_Zer0

Up until Switch they would be gone for good I believe, but Nintendo Switch accounts are now up to par with XBox and PS accounts so you can redownload games you purchased as long as the store is still online.

The main problem arises when Nintendo one day pulls the plug on the Switch eshop, or Sony pulls the plug on the PS store on PS3 or PS4. At that point you have no access to games you ligitimately purchased. That's when it gets frustrating.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
More of this to come in the future if people keep supporting digital only and stuff like gamepass.

Vote with your wallets folks.
Nah; more like we are seeing the results of early poorly done storefronts.

A well done storefront backend should not have these issues.

Now every company understands the importance of a cohesive digital experience; they just fucked up on a lot of the V1 systems.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I have a feeling that the next digital storefronts on the chopping block are the 3DS, the Wii U eshop and the PS3 digital storefront. If you own any of those systems I would buy any digital game you are ever going to want and hack those systems immediately to gain access to those digital titles forever, otherwise you can kiss them goodbye.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Now every company understands the importance of a cohesive digital experience; they just fucked up on a lot of the V1 systems.
Wrong. Companies want your money. They want you to buy games you already own over and over again. If your favorite gaming company with that fine tuned digital shop pulls the plug on the shop itself you're screwed if your games are not backwards compatible with the newest system.

Guilty_AI

You're right except for the last part.
Most platform holders just don't care whatever happens to these old libraries, or the people who own these libraries.

They'll just keep making digital stores with terms that can potentially fuck up the user, they'd rather do this than risk displeasing their shareholders with lax terms.

IntentionalPun

Wrong. Companies want your money. They want you to buy games you already own over and over again. If your favorite gaming company with that fine tuned digital shop pulls the plug on the shop itself you're screwed if your games are not backwards compatible with the newest system.
And Sony / MS have moved totally beyond this idea, expressing an understanding of the importance of being able to move your games forward.

I'm not saying I outright trust Nintendo will do the same, but I do trust Sony/MS to do it.

I've been a Steam user for 17 years and have lost access to zero games.

Same can be said for Xbox/Playstation as well.. I have not lost access to anything I've bought digitally either.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

And Sony / MS have moved totally beyond this idea, expressing an understanding of the importance of being able to move your games forward.

I'm not saying I outright trust Nintendo will do the same, but I do trust Sony/MS to do it.

I've been a Steam user for 17 years and have lost access to zero games.

Same can be said for Xbox/Playstation as well.. I have not lost access to anything I've bought digitally either.
Let's hope Sony has learned from MS and keeps the B/C going indefinitely just like Steam. You're right to worry about Nintendo. Let's hope they don't get screwed over by Nvidia in the future. If Nvidia ever gets greedy with Nintendo like they did with MS and Sony you can probably kiss that backwards compatibility goodbye on future iterations of Nintendo systems.

IntentionalPun

Let's hope Sony has learned from MS and keeps the B/C going indefinitely just like Steam. You're right to worry about Nintendo. Let's hope they don't get screwed over by Nvidia in the future. If Nvidia ever gets greedy with Nintendo like they did with MS and Sony you can probably kiss that backwards compatibility goodbye on future iterations of Nintendo systems.
I should have said initially that Nintendo themselves are definitely the least trustworthy.

And my argument isn't that this will never happen again; I'm arguing against the idea that this is going to happen more and more.

And it doesn't happen much either is my other point. When it happens it always sucks, but a lot of it is just growing pains of poorly implemented digital storefronts.

xrnzaaas

Up until Switch they would be gone for good I believe, but Nintendo Switch accounts are now up to par with XBox and PS accounts so you can redownload games you purchased as long as the store is still online.

The main problem arises when Nintendo one day pulls the plug on the Switch eshop, or Sony pulls the plug on the PS store on PS3 or PS4. At that point you have no access to games you ligitimately purchased. That's when it gets frustrating.
That's what I thought. Well at least Sony has continuity with one Sony account for all of their consoles since PS3, but who knows what's it like 10 years from now.

Komatsu

But you have Nintendo's gratitude !

As someone who spent hundreds of bucks on different retro tiles on VC over a decade, this was the moment I decided to stop giving them my money. The only franchise from Nintendo I still follow is Fire Emblem. Nintendo is literally the worst platform holder when it comes to respecting their consumers time and money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom