• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the Switch Pro probably having 4K support, should I finally get a 4K TV?

4K TV

• Yes

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • No, 3D better

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters

Dampf

This is my TV right now:

blaupunkt-3d-led-hd-tv-1080p32-zoll.jpg

This good boy has been on my side since 2012. It delivers great, sharp images at 1080p and is even 3D capable! My Switch games do look great on it.

However, I realize this thing is basically a dinosaur now. It's not even a Smart TV, so if I want my Wii U continue to collect dusk, I have to watch Netflix and stuff elsewhere.

With the Switch Pro though I wonder if I finally should hop into the 4K train and buy a new 4K TV. After all, I don't want to miss any beautiful pixel of the upcoming BOTW2 running on the Switch Pro. I assume DLSS will be used for perfect 4K images in docked mode with BOTW2 and detail should be massively increased compared to BOTW1.

I don't have any other console though, as I have my PC with 1440p monitor for that. Do you think a 4K TV would make sense for me?

reksveks

Not sure I would buy one specifically for a switch Pro, I probably would do for modern smart TV apps though.

Mercador

Until we know the specs of the new Switch, it's difficult to speculate on the render of the new platform. 4K@60fps is quite demanding even for PS5/XBX.

That being said, 4K TV are pretty much standard now and the price isn't crazy anymore. I wouldn't go under 50" though.

Last edited:
Wait for the console reveal, and probably some impressions/first look/previews from tech youtubers like Digital Foundry (and NXGamer if he gets invited), before pulling the wallet for a new 4K TV that costs you quite a lot of money more than a console.

The device is heavily rumored to implement DLSS 2.0 to all of it's upcoming games, so chances are that they "might" have a downsampling solution to take advantage of a 1440p monitor too, so who knows. Wait for the reveal and the hardware/software specs side of things to be officially announced.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Like others have said there is lots of 4k content out there right now. I would go for a smart 4k tv. At least 50 inch.

Banned
a 2012 blaupunkt TV? damn... how's the input lag on that thing? usually smaller brands like this have a really bad track record with input lag.

TLZ

Banned
If you upgrade, make sure you get one with HDMI 2.1. You'd want the extra features that come with it. So it'd last you longer.

Last edited:

Jack Uzi

Banned
3D was a trash marketing gimmick same as Curved TV’s in the end. Stick to flat panels and you should have had a 4KTV long ago.

Kokoloko85

Don’t do it for a Switch pro.
But I guess Nintendo’s next machine will be 4k but that might be in 2022-2023-2024?

FStubbs

Don’t do it for a Switch pro.
But I guess Nintendo’s next machine will be 4k but that might be in 2022-2023-2024?
I actually don't think it'll be native 4K. It'll be upscaled or some DLSS stuff at best. You're talking about a machine that MIGHT be as powerful as the Steamdeck.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

There's a reason cinema movies are 2K res movies, it's because going past that res has no point unless you walk up to the screen. So there's no need for 4K in general.
That being said, for a Switch only, I wouldn't. I don't see it happening anytime soon either, they just released a new model. Wouldn't make sense business wise to release a new model soon after a refresh.

There's a reason cinema movies are 2K res movies, it's because going past that res has no point unless you walk up to the screen. So there's no need for 4K in general.
That being said, for a Switch only, I wouldn't. I don't see it happening anytime soon either, they just released a new model. Wouldn't make sense business wise to release a new model soon after a refresh.
I respectfully disagree. Movies on the big screen look like ass compared to how they look on my glorious 4k OLED tv at home.

For games 4k makes a big difference. Movies are excellent too.

Treat yourself to an LG OLED and you will notice the difference big guy.

tvdaXD

I respectfully disagree. Movies on the big screen look like ass compared to how they look on my glorious 4k OLED tv at home.
For games 4k makes a big difference. Movies are excellent too.

Treat yourself to an LG OLED and you will notice the difference big guy.
I ask you both to sit at the right viewing distance from your glorious screens, and display a 2K res image, and then a 4K one.
Yes, the 4K looks sharper up close, no you won't see a difference from the right, normal, viewing distance.

Again, 4K is basically pointless. Especially since the digital intermediates of many movies are still 2K. So your glorious 4K Blu-ray is most likely a 4K upscale of a 2K image.
Netflix might require the filmmakers to have their entire proces in 4K, but then bitrate comes in and fucks it up anyways.

Back to gaming though, a monitor would be a different conversation. TV's are still pointless and should've honestly put their resources into high framerates instead of having a bigger number on the box.

I ask you both to sit at the right viewing distance from your glorious screens, and display a 2K res image, and then a 4K one.
Yes, the 4K looks sharper up close, no you won't see a difference from the right, normal, viewing distance.

Again, 4K is basically pointless. Especially since the digital intermediates of many movies are still 2K. So your glorious 4K Blu-ray is most likely a 4K upscale of a 2K image.
Netflix might require the filmmakers to have their entire proces in 4K, but then bitrate comes in and fucks it up anyways.

Back to gaming though, a monitor would be a different conversation. TV's are still pointless and should've honestly put their resources into high framerates instead of having a bigger number on the box.

My TV goes to 120hz which is fine with gsync and 4k. And I do notice the difference. Sorry to disappoint you.

This reminds me when people were saying 30fps was fine and couldnt tell the difference.

tvdaXD

My TV goes to 120hz which is fine with gsync and 4k. And I do notice the difference. Sorry to disappoint you.

This reminds me when people were saying 30fps was fine and couldnt tell the difference.
People thinking we don't need more than 24 or 30 fps are a different breed. You're simply sitting at a closer distance than needed to your TV and there's nothing wrong with that.
The reason I brought up the example of Cinema is because at those distances from the screen, which is generally a normal viewing distance, it doesn't matter if you go past 2K.
Try IMDb, it'll surprise you how many movies actually still use the 2K digital intermediate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If you're sitting too far from your TV to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K you're not sitting at the right distance. You need to sit closer to a 4K TV (or get a bigger one). For example, with a 55" you shouldn't be sitter farther from it than about 2m. With a 65" you can go up to about 2.5-3m. If you're one of those people who sit 5m from a 55" TV, then yeah, you really don't need 4K. You might need binoculars though.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I don’t know man, I used to think that and when I got Valhalla for the ps5 I switched between performance and fidelity and I can tell you there was an intangible feeling of clarity with the higher resolution that made me chose it over the higher frame rate. And sure it was clunkier because 30fps is clunky compared to 60fps… but man dat high res was glorious.

A.Romero

Long time since I saw higher resolutions detractors...

OP, if you only play with the Switch there is no point getting a bigger TV unless you are interested in media as well. Other than that enjoy your 7 inch OLED screen.

tvdaXD

If you're sitting too far from your TV to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K you're not sitting at the right distance. You need to sit closer to a 4K TV (or get a bigger one). For example, with a 55" you shouldn't be sitter farther from it than about 2m. With a 65" you can go up to about 2.5-3m. If you're one of those people who sit 5m from a 55" TV, then yeah, you really don't need 4K. You might need binoculars though.
2K isn't 1080p, and I'm not saying you should get uncomfortably far or close lol. Just the normal viewing distance.

tvdaXD

I don’t know man, I used to think that and when I got Valhalla for the ps5 I switched between performance and fidelity and I can tell you there was an intangible feeling of clarity with the higher resolution that made me chose it over the higher frame rate. And sure it was clunkier because 30fps is clunky compared to 60fps… but man dat high res was glorious.
I did the same with Spider Man Remastered on my PS5, thing is though that with those titles there's also a difference between rendered resolution and screen resolution. And other graphical settings are pushed to increase perceived realism.
That being said, I guess I hit a controversial topic haha. At the end it's just my opinion and it differs for everyone with their setups.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
2K isn't 1080p, and I'm not saying you should get uncomfortably far or close lol. Just the normal viewing distance.

You said that at "normal" viewing distance 4K doesn't matter. That would mean that your "normal" is in fact too far from the TV, or you need to get a bigger one.

Also, aren't we talking about normal display resolutions? In that case 1080p is the closest to "2K" that exists.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

You said that at "normal" viewing distance 4K doesn't matter. That would mean that your "normal" is in fact too far from the TV, or you need to get a bigger one.

Also, aren't we talking about normal display resolutions? In that case 1080p is the closest to "2K" that exists.
It's not too far, but have fun sitting 47 inches from your 65" 4K TV so you can actually see enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not too far, but have fun sitting 47 inches from your 65" 4K TV so you can actually see enough.

I believe Sony is listing the MINIMUM distance where you can't discern individual pixels. Which is very close, yes.

This is a bit more reasonable:

And you haven't said how far from your TV you sit, but sounds like it's definitely TOO far for 4K to really be worth it. Which you said yourself.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

I believe Sony is listing the MINIMUM distance where you can't discern individual pixels. Which is very close, yes.

This is a bit more reasonable:

And you haven't said how far from your TV you sit, but sounds like it's definitely TOO far for 4K to really be worth it. Which you said yourself.
TV is mounted on the wall, in front of the bed, I'd say about 3 meters. Which is not the 'optimal' distance like the website says, since it's a 50" 4K TV. But it isn't too far either, also considering the room itself and price obviously.
in the end it's all preference, none of my friends ever complained about this TV's size at 3 meters.
Anyways, the whole thing I started was more about the content. Basically get yourself the same image in different resolutions. In most setups above 2K doesn't make sense anymore, although having more is always nice not denying that. Besides, the movie industry shows this, just search some favorite movies and check the technical specs.

But let's stop the discussion before this entire thread is wasted on some preferences and opinions.

For our poster, I'd say for the Switch alone, I wouldn't. But since 4K TV's come with many smart features nowadays you're gonna get something out of it anyways. So perhaps by that time if the Switch Pro ever releases you might as well get one :)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Serious question: did anybody seriously upgrade from a 1080p TV to a 4K one of the same size and actually moved their couch closer to the TV because of the "science" of those graphs?

And what about those who bought a bigger screen? Buying a bigger TV and sitting closer to it than before sounds like the epitome of dumb. I have a hard time following the action in some games sitting in front of a 55" whereas I used to have a 42". I can't imagine actually sitting closer to the thing, lol.

Kokoloko85

They have yet to reach 1080 with their next console. 4k not before 2027/2028 for Nintendo.

Probably upscale 4k dock mode etc lol.

I doubt they will do a console again. Nintendo console’s don’t do well since the Snes, apart from the Wii and that was because it was a 3rd of the price of a PS3/ 360 and was Motion control gimmick.

Japan land, Japan land…Japan don’t give a fuck about Nintendo apart from their Handhelds.

tsumake

The reason a lot of movies are still 2k is because it is faster (and cheaper) to render all the cgi in 2k rather than 4k.

MAtgS

Get 2 4Ks, put 'em side by side & desync your eyes so you can stare at both & then it'll be 3D.

Last edited:

Moses85

This is my TV right now:

blaupunkt-3d-led-hd-tv-1080p32-zoll.jpg

This good boy has been on my side since 2012. It delivers great, sharp images at 1080p and is even 3D capable! My Switch games do look great on it.

However, I realize this thing is basically a dinosaur now. It's not even a Smart TV, so if I want my Wii U continue to collect dusk, I have to watch Netflix and stuff elsewhere.

With the Switch Pro though I wonder if I finally should hop into the 4K train and buy a new 4K TV. After all, I don't want to miss any beautiful pixel of the upcoming BOTW2 running on the Switch Pro. I assume DLSS will be used for perfect 4K images in docked mode with BOTW2 and detail should be massively increased compared to BOTW1.

I don't have any other console though, as I have my PC with 1440p monitor for that. Do you think a 4K TV would make sense for me?
Welche Switch Pro??? There isn’t and wont be one :)

Last edited:

Brigandier

Boombox Shut Up GIF

Top Bottom