• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of the Steam Deck, Valve should look at bringing the Steam Machine concept back

LakeOf9

The original Steam Machine initiative failed for multiple reasons:
  1. Compatibility problems (Linux gaming was a mess back then, and no one was interested in porting to Linux)
  2. Valve didnt manufacture them and instead outsourced them to other OEMs who sold them at high markup
  3. Marketing around the whole initiative was fairly busted
  4. Put together, we had something people were not aware of, and those that were had to spend more money to buy something less functional
With the Steam Deck, we have already seen Valve address these problems. Proton already sidesteps most compatibility issues running Windows games on Linux otherwise presents, Valve itself is clearly capable of manufacturing and marketing its own hardware now (Steam Deck was a huge success), and they are even very good at pricing (Steam Deck is a generation ahead of the Switch and only $50 more).

I think if with their new Big Picture Mode, and new Proton layer, Valve were to manufacture and market a console box version of the Steam Deck today, it would be a huge win, and would even help them get a foothold in the console market. I would want to see them try it, I think, what do you think?

spons

Gold Member
So Steam OS on a PC? Steam Deck is popular because it's a handheld form factor, something you cannot simply design as an average consumer. Anyone can build a PC though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Id rather they focus on new iterations of steam deck. Installing SteamOS on a desktop computer would just be gimping it.

LakeOf9

So Steam OS on a PC? Steam Deck is popular because it's a handheld form factor, something you cannot simply design as an average consumer. Anyone can build a PC though.
Make it a simple plug and play experience, which Steam Deck already provides, but for a TV set top box. Position it as a "console" version of Steam, sell it for $400-$500 as a counterpart to Xbox and PlayStation. It will probably never outsell those, but Steam Deck didnt outsell Switch and it was still a big success, this can be a big success in its own right as well.

It will also give Valve a foothold in this segment of the market.

Codes 208

If theyre truly interested in that idea, it should be a walled garden concept as in just two specific models by valve themselves: a cheaper series s-like machine and the higher end model (like $500-$600) allowing too many machines pop up in retail was an absolute nightmare and it confused just about everyone but the dedicated fanbase.

The steam os works pretty well for what it is, nice and customizable, i honestly wouldnt mind this format for a pc-made console.

As for controller, yeah i wouldnt mind if they tried their hand at a new steam controller, but i also would be perfectly content if they partnered with MS to have the xbox controller come with every box, the controller already has pretty much 100% native compatibility with steam rn

Last edited:

sachos

Yeah i've thought about it too. It would be cool to see them give it another chance. 3 models, 300 500 and 700 attacking each segment of the console market just for giggles.

Last edited:

Xyphie

It would just be the exact same thing as a Steam Machine from 10 years ago, i.e. a PC with a bespoke Linux distro. Why would it succeed this time around? If they subsidize the hardware I'll gladly buy it and just install Windows on the machine and use it as a general purpose PC.

DaGwaphics

Make it a simple plug and play experience, which Steam Deck already provides, but for a TV set top box. Position it as a "console" version of Steam, sell it for $400-$500 as a counterpart to Xbox and PlayStation. It will probably never outsell those, but Steam Deck didnt outsell Switch and it was still a big success, this can be a big success in its own right as well.

It will also give Valve a foothold in this segment of the market.

I can see an opening for it given the current component prices. If they could make a little box that could match the performance of freestanding gpus in the $300-$400 range but provide an entire system for $500 or so, that might be a really great option for budget buyers. A console option for users with an existing Steam library and that want access to mods and things like that.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Valve is a smallish company as far as how these things go. Don't think they have resources to provide support for another hardware line.

They are likely better off to produce Deck 2 instead.

Top Bottom