• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the new consoles coming, will PC gaming become more expensive to get into?

Raploz

Since new games will probably be developed with the new consoles in mind, a fast NVME SSD will be a must for PC gamers, and even a SATA SSD might be too slow or even be incompatible with new games. (I could be wrong, but it seems it will likely be the case).

SSDs are only an example. I actually want to discuss the repercution it will have on PC gaming cost and hardware choices as a whole.

Market analists are saying the NAND prices will skyrocket this year. With the increasing demand the price also increases.

With consoles coming with good CPUs this time, people will probably need to upgrade their CPUs, motherboards and possibly RAM if they were using and older CPU with DDR3 support only (which is likely a sizeable part of the market as upgrading the CPU this generation wasn't really a necessity, and older motherboards also don't support NVME). Combine that with the increased NAND prices and PC gaming might be even harder to get into due to costs.

Let's also remember most people nowadays only have midrange hardware. The GTX 1060 is the most popular card on Steam (followed by the 1050TI and 1050), and they will probably be a bottleneck too for some next gen games.

Basically some people will have to upgrade their entire PC, and I think it might not be a small portion of PC users (I wish I had more data on what CPU/motherboard generation most people use).

If that's the case, could that cause a mass migration from PCs to consoles? What's your opinion?

Last edited:

SantaC

Short answer - no.

Intel, Nvidia and AMD are driving the Tech on PC, and 2020 should be a very exciting year in terms of cpu and gpu releases.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The next gen consoles will be barely midrange level by the time they release. And dont fall for the SSD hype, PC's with standard SSD's will be fine lol.
My midrange PC now would probably be good enough to run next gen games at 1080p/30. You have to remember that next gen consoles will be targeting 4k, so even midrange PC's today will be good enough to run next gen games at 1080p.

A more refined answer. Not really, no. It's still gonna get cheaper. Nvidia massively overpriced their GPU's because AMD didn't have anything to compete. Now that AMD has started hitting back pretty hard we are already seeing price drops in GPU's. Hell, Nvidia dropped their refresh 'Super' line almost $50 across the board before they actually even released because AMD was dropping their XT cards that really competed with what NV was putting on the market. I'd wager we'll see NV launch the 30xx series massively cheaper than what they tried to get away with in their 20xx series. I don't know what super magic either MSFT or Sony has but, I'd be really surprised if they dramatically overshadow current SSD's. They may be fast, but SSD's are insanely fast on PC as is right now. M.2 drives are super cheap and blazing fast.

It's almost never been a better time to be a PC gamer as what you get for your money can give you really stellar performance for pretty cheap with a lot of longevity and the ability to upgrade.

Short Answer: PC isn't going anywhere and will actually grow in market share even more as time continues to tick on by.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Since new games will probably be developed with the new consoles in mind, a fast NVME SSD will be a must for PC gamers, and even a SATA SSD might be too slow or even be incompatible with new games. (I could be wrong, but it seems it will likely be the case).

SSDs are only an example. I actually want to discuss the repercution it will have on PC gaming cost and hardware choices as a whole.

Market analists are saying the NAND prices will skyrocket this year. With the increasing demand the price also increases.

With consoles coming with good CPUs this time, people will probably need to upgrade their CPUs, motherboards and possibly RAM if they were using and older CPU with DDR3 support only (which is likely a sizeable part of the market as upgrading the CPU this generation wasn't really a necessity, and older motherboards also don't support NVME). Combine that with the increased NAND prices and PC gaming might be even harder to get into due to costs.

Let's also remember most people nowadays only have midrange hardware. The GTX 1060 is the most popular card on Steam (followed by the 1050TI and 1050), and they will probably be a bottleneck too for some next gen games.

Basically some people will have to upgrade their entire PC, and I think it might not be a small portion of PC users (I wish I had more data on what CPU/motherboard generation most people use).

If that's the case, could that cause a mass migration from PCs to consoles? What's your opinion?

Faster SSD's will just decrease loading speeds, slower ssd's won't have issue's running PS5 games even remotely.

GPU wise, PS5 will target 4k which kills any GPU at this point in time.

To give you a example a 1060 gtx will run wicher 3 at 53 fps at 1080p at ultra settings, 5700xt runs witcher 3 at 39 fps at 4k. PC needs far far less GPU performance. 1060 > 5700xt if they focus 4k.

CPU wise ryzens have already been on the market for a while now, big chance consoles will lock 2cores of those 8 for security reasons and other solutions. 6/12 core would be enough, shitty 70 euro board with a ryzen of 150 bucks currently will already get you there. ddr4 is also already old tech so most people probably have it, if not and its ddr3 that's another 70 bucks they have to spend, which is far cheaper then buying a console to get up to date on that front. can also drop a nvme drive in there if you want for a bit more on top of it but hardly needed.

What else is there really? nothing.

Last edited:
a fast NVME SSD will be a must for PC gamers, and even a SATA SSD might be too slow or even be incompatible with new games.
That's never going to happen. I recently installed an absolutely ancient hard drive from 2006 in my PC as an emergency solution, and modern games run on it just fine, they just take a bit longer to load. There won't be any games released next gen that won't run from a SATA SSD, or even a regular SATA HDD.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The SSD argument is an interesting one, because it seems to be the "next-gen battlefield" where console are trying to stand out ahead of PCs, and they might even be able to pull it off (speed wise) for the very short term. Sony and Microsoft both seem to be putting a lot of the cost of the new consoles on the faster SSDs. As others have said, it only really effects loading times anyway and won't have any bearing on game compatibility.

The difference here is that the prices will be dropping like a stone (like they have been for the last decade or so) as speeds continue to increase above and beyond what's available in the PS5 or Xbox. People replace their PCs all the time (not just on set generations like consoles) so by this time next year you'll be able to buy a larger, faster SSD than what will be releasing in the new consoles. In two years, you'll be seeing stuff faster than these consoles in pre-built Dell computers. By the end of this generation, that storage is going to be a joke when compared with what everyone is already running in their PCs by then.

Top Bottom