• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the decline of Saints Row and Just Cause, does that mean we'll never have a "major" alternative to GTA?

You are thinking of Avalanche Software. Avalanche Studios Group makes Just Cause games. They are very much alive.
Not really they had mass layoffs but the point is the last two Just Cause games bombed and Square left. Unlikely we see a 5th.

Not to mention Rage 2 didn't do very well either, their reputation is becoming questionable now.

i just want to state for the record Saints Row 1 was better than GTA IV.

I thought Watch Dogs could surpass GTA, with how good Watch Dogs 2 is but, they didn't really regress so much as kinda pivot. 3 games in and they still dont have aircraft

honestly GTA's not even GTA anymore...so who knows. We peaked at San Andreas

Woggleman

Saint's Row while good only really had popularity when part 2 was promoted as the fun alternative to the dark and gritty GTA IV. Once GTA V came out it was a wrap.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Might say Sleeping Dogs.

81yn5dqOe0L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Woggleman

I heard that the original actually had cocaine when it was legal back in the day? Some reference of cocaine I think in RDR2 as well in a pharmacy or something.
The original Coke did indeed have Cocaine which was an acceptable medicine back in the day. Sigmund Freud was a big cokehead and openly promoted it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The original Coke did indeed have Cocaine which was an acceptable medicine back in the day. Sigmund Freud was a big cokehead and openly promoted it.

Thanks for the confirmation! Even kids seem to use some, of course in small doses as a medicinal extract:

2657.jpg

Sepia6

Neo Member
Not really they had mass layoffs but the point is the last two Just Cause games bombed and Square left. Unlikely we see a 5th.

Not to mention Rage 2 didn't do very well either, their reputation is becoming questionable now.
This is incorrect. JC3 sold over 10M units and is the most commercially successful entry in the series. There were no mass layoffs at Avalanche Studios in recent years either.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this thread aged well, especially the saints row part LOL
i think it's about high time Sony and/or Microsoft take a crack at making a GTA competitor, they're the only companies with the resources to make one that's actually comparable in budget and scope. Saints row is sillier and wackier but quickly fell off after the third game, not to mention it's just not comparable in terms of budget or quality. SR2 is considered the best one but it came out the same year GTAIV came out which has yet to be topped. Just cause.... isn't even in the same ballpark. They're completely different games so I can't call them a competitor

The only issue is that a lot of Sony's studios aren't exactly talented enough to create something on the scale of GTA. Sony's studios are fine tuned to make high quality high budget linear experiences. Open worlds not so much. The only studio that made an attempt is Guerilla Games with Horizon, but again.... not in the same ballpark.

MS made an attempt with Crackdown, but it's also in a completely different ballpark. Less focused on crime committing and more on crime stopping. It's a co-op game first while GTA is single player first. Not to mention that Crackdown 3 was.... Crackdown 3. Same for Bethesda, ID, arkane, you name it. The best possible candidate is Playground games, they're very clearly experienced with the open world driving part and realistic environment part which is like 40% of GTA. but that other 60% is still very important.

regardless of how you feel about these games, GTA is a type of game that requires the most resources out of possibly any video game to make. So much effort has to be put into making complex AI, massive realistic worlds with immaculate attention to detail, animations that LITERALLY CREATE THEMSELVES with euphoria, great stories, etc. The other attempts lack the same amount of budget put into them and it really, really shows. (cough cough Saints Row 2022 cough cough) But we need this. Rockstar is taking their time with GTAVI so much so that it had to be leaked so people even knew it was coming. The only gaming company in the industry that's actively producing these games is fucking slacking and it's leaving a massive hole that hasn't been filled in over 9 years.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Didn't people have this hard argument that this game wasn't trying to GTA?

The lolz. I think many don't want to admit it, but clearly its in a city with crime, with cops, gangs, corruption, stealing cars etc. Too many of those elements overlap for it not to seek to take a page out of the GTA book by default.

They even have a wanted star system....

So those really trying to pretend it wasn't trying to be like GTA, only say this cause it failed to come close to those concepts. Hopefully with some sequel that gets it done right and is able to meet those standards like modding a car in some body shop, changing the color to get away from cops....cops chasing you from car, hover bike to 5 star hover tank or hover craft or something, gangs having their own mods on cars like gang colors of gang mods lol When it gets done right with some sequel, prepare for some goal posting by those same fucking users. Its best to just say it flopped at those elements, then to pretend it was never made for that purpose.

(Laughs in wanted star system)
michael-jordan-laughing.gif

To the point of the thread, a major alternate to GTA still needs to meet or beat. If thats CP in the future, who knows. They can go 2 routes.

Growing the team to actually do a functional open world with those elements to meet the standard of at least GTA IV people lol Ability to traverse Land, air, sea. Then we can have that conversation.

Keep the team the same size, lower the scope to a linear Deus Ex style title and remove the dumb star system as whats the point if you don't have AI that can drive a car? smh. If they make it more narrow scope type thing, it could work for them, you can't half ass that type of concept. You are either 100% in or it just comes off as odd and broken as those systems need to work together to build that narrative.

Kurimao

The only issue is that a lot of Sony's studios aren't exactly talented enough to create something on the scale of GTA. Sony's studios are fine tuned to make high quality high budget linear experiences. Open worlds not so much. The only studio that made an attempt is Guerilla Games with Horizon, but again.... not in the same ballpark.
GTFO. If others can make trash like Saints Row or Cyberpunk then I'm pretty sure Sony can do much better. I wanna see Naughty Dog or Santa Monica Studio do triple A cyberpunk sandbox game, the "the GTA/Cyberpunk killer".

EDMIX

GTFO. If others can make trash like Saints Row or Cyberpunk then I'm pretty sure Sony can do much better. I wanna see Naughty Dog or Santa Monica Studio do triple A cyberpunk sandbox game, the "the GTA/Cyberpunk killer".

This.

I think people tend to forget that it was Sony that had The Getaway series and their recent interest in open world games might revive that. So Sony's studios 100% are one of the few that likely could do some title on such a scale as they already have many open world titles already.

EDMIX

Don't know if they are currently working on another Watch Dogs either.

True.

Ubisoft for some titles won't say anything until like 1 before release or something. We know some of their teams are in the dark so, who knows. I don't expect us to hear about stuff like Division 3, Far Cry 7, Watchdogs 4 until they are literally a year out.

Same with Mafia 4, I recall the remake of 1 was out pretty shortly after its reveal and Mafia 3 was also out shortly after its reveal, like a year later or something. So it depends on how those publishers want to market those titles as some want shorter marketing windows for some IP.

Watchdogs started with a long marketing tail with 1 which makes sense for a new IP btw, but it also cause a huge downgrade thing and since then, Ubisoft has revealed and released those titles with shorter windows before release, like Watchdogs 2 was revealed the same year it released. So if they do have one coming, we'll know maybe the year of reveal.

Last edited:
Sleeping Dogs was the only game to truly being able to rival and beat GTA with truckloads of fun, and they let it die, so...

Only reviving it could revitalize an healty rivalry, at least in terms of fun, as far as sales are concerned, there is no rival in the world

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They're very skilled when it comes to animations and stories but I haven't seen one Sony studio make a city on the scale of Los Santos or liberty city. Not to mention they're gonna have to compete with Rockstars ai which is kind of a death wish. Again, look at how many have tried and how many have failed. Even talented studios like cd project couldn't get it 100% right. The GTA formula is extremely fucking hard to replicate and requires a skillset that no other gaming studio has. Excuse me for being skeptical. 🤷‍♂️

That being said any attempt is better than none. I'm so surprised that MS and Sony saw the massive success that was GTAV and didn't think once to make their own equivalent as an exclusive. Especially considering how long gamers have had to wait

Guilty_AI

Didn't people have this hard argument that this game wasn't trying to be GTA?
It really is not, its more like a child between The Witcher 3 and Deus Ex.

However, its worth mentioning even GTA isn't trying to be GTA anymore. Since GTA 4, R* games have been going for a Mafia-like formula, with their open world and open world activities being mostly a pretty background for a extremely linear story driven game.
Because of that i think people don't know what a GTA-like game is supposed to be anymore, they'll consider anything with an open world city and crimes to be one, i've even seen some people calling Yakuza a GTA-like game.

Last edited:
Do we need another alternative to Grant Theft Auto? Just Cause, the original game, is fine as it is, it doesn't take itself super seriously, but what's there is solid, as for Saints Row, I can say the same thing, with the amount of fun that you can have in those games is something that I can't do in Grand Theft Auto, because while the the games have some critique of modern world as well as satire within the plot, I can't have as much fun as I can in Saints Row, it's good to have a contract to Grand Theft Auto, but another Grand Theft Auto? Mhm, no, I don't think so.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Do we need another alternative to Grant Theft Auto? Just Cause, the original game, is fine as it is, it doesn't take itself super seriously, but what's there is solid, as for Saints Row, I can say the same thing, with the amount of fun that you can have in those games is something that I can't do in Grand Theft Auto, because while the the games have some critique of modern world as well as satire within the plot, I can't have as much fun as I can in Saints Row, it's good to have a contract to Grand Theft Auto, but another Grand Theft Auto? Mhm, no, I don't think so.
The last Grand Theft Auto was 9 years ago. another one not only encourages them to make their games faster but to make them better too.

Puscifer

Gold Member
JC 3 was fucking broken and turned me off from playing it till I got it for 10 bucks on Steam and Saints Row 4 changing the tone to a superhero game after already going straight up stupid with 3 also turned a lot of people off so I'm not shocked. Also OP, there's clear speak of SR 5 so take that for what you will.

Aged like the finest milk **chef's kiss**

Hot Take: Cyberpunk shouldn't have launched on anything but PC and next gen consoles, the games scope clearly grew that even the minimum requirements were more akin to the PS4 Pro and One X and the base console versions were pretty much ports vs "versions"

I played the pro version on PS5 at launch, was a great 60 fps experience and I didn't have a single problem with it, later got it for 20 bucks on PC with a lot of updates for a second playthrough and it only got better. Build diversity is great, stories and characters are interesting surrounding it. Like anyone is going to say the Alt-Cunningham storyline between Johnny wasn't great?

This circle jerking over Naughty Dog and Santa Monica is pretty cringe especially when you consider that Naughty Dog hasn't made a game in it's history with any real gameplay diversity like Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Ravi_elite

Banned
Levar, you gonna let those bitches disrespect us?

Nah for real tho fuck all the haters here in this thread..sr1 is 💯 times better then any GTA...all the haters in this thread must have gotten team killed in matchmaking...

The greatest game ever... gta sucks balls

sj85DKm.gif
lyySuX5.jpg
pYsHwwD.gif
OC6uMAQ.png
JRcFxca.gif
Uf4LhCg.gif

~ GODZHAND

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Add True Crime/Sleeping Dogs to that list.

Fucking love Sleeping Dogs. Just wish it allowed simultaneous DirectInput and XInput.

Guilty_AI

Nah for real tho fuck all the haters here in this thread..sr1 is 💯 times better then any GTA...all the haters in this thread must have gotten team killed in matchmaking...

sj85DKm.gif
lyySuX5.jpg
pYsHwwD.gif
OC6uMAQ.png
JRcFxca.gif
Uf4LhCg.gif

~ GODZHAND
I do think old SR games even for their time were better GTA games than GTA itself. The impression i get is that GTA had been wanting to step away from chaotic fun to become a linear narrative-driven movie-like experience ever since it entered the 3D era. In the HD era with GTA4 they went all in and their games basically became Mafia, as i said in a post earlier.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If Cyberpunk 2078 has third person, and CDPR figures out how to polish, it "could" be a competitor. Currently Cyberpunk 2077 is shaping into a great game...just hate that it is so focused on developing a character (looks,clothing,ect) but you never see them. I know why they went First person for cinematics but its really dumb to omit tps gameplay. Since they are moving to UE5 they wont have any excuses given the animation and retargeting system built into that thing is impressive.

Last edited:
Honestly it sucks, but bean counters and devs didn't talk to fans and people on what was wrong and instead followed twitter.

Saints row started going downhill after 3, and honestly sr2 had the more gangster feel to it. Going from nothing to something.
Sr4, messed up the pacing and progression. They started you off as badass from the start. There was no or less humble beginnings and work up to power.
At least that is what I got from it. Sure there was some progression, but not like sr2.
Almost like sr4 was supposed to be dlc for sr3 or something.

Since it didn't sell well they turned to twitter, and committee, and listed to the woke tweets and a bunch of millenials and suits saying something like - "forget our core base, we need to make a game for Gen z kids, what are they into today? We will get a writer off twitter to tell our tale. We will need to include much of the following, and also a big f u to the old games and fans. Thats a sure fire way to garner support, from our new hip audience. Include:
"Diversity checklists, teen characters doing wacky things, anti capitalism screeds while bathing in consumerism, fortnite, blowing stuff up, streaming on twitch".

So add on a bunch of crap writing, twitter pandering, cring characters, different art style, wokeism along with bad programming and bugs === sure fire mess. Alienating core fans of a long tradition of games.
Adding the final nail in the coffin to a series that went down hill after the last fully proper sr game, sr3.

Just cause was amazing in JC2. The gameplay, the story campaign felt like it was thought about, even thought it isn't the greatest compared to other games it was great for just cause or this style of game.
The large world with multiple biomes. Different factions, better vehicles and the parachute and tether was amazing.
Hell it also did youtube streaming before it was even really a thing. My one and only youtube video is from that game on ps3. Flying to a club on a blimp up in the sky. Thought i found some cool unique secret. Streamed that shit . Also the races had instant upload buttons. This was all optional and you could ignore it.

JC3 felt weird at first. It was a good game and had killer graphics, but was missing some of the soul from jc2. It had more phyiscs and better tethers along with wingsuit. The world was too bland though. There wasn't the multiple biomes of jc2, so variety was less. I still enjoyed it.
Haven't played jc4 yet, but from what i heard it took out liberations and factions. Which is a key component of the games. It added a bunch of cool tools though and the map looks good from what i can tell.
IT was no where near the fail that saits row 5 is. Not even the same ballpark. JC4 is still decent.

JC can bounce back easily. Saints row, unless they get a dose of humble pie and make a proper saints game with Johnny Gat and crew, I don't see it happening. Sadly.

this thread aged well, especially the saints row part LOL
i think it's about high time Sony and/or Microsoft take a crack at making a GTA competitor, they're the only companies with the resources to make one that's actually comparable in budget and scope. Saints row is sillier and wackier but quickly fell off after the third game, not to mention it's just not comparable in terms of budget or quality. SR2 is considered the best one but it came out the same year GTAIV came out which has yet to be topped. Just cause.... isn't even in the same ballpark. They're completely different games so I can't call them a competitor

MS made an attempt with Crackdown, but it's also in a completely different ballpark. Less focused on crime committing and more on crime stopping. It's a co-op game first while GTA is single player first. Not to mention that Crackdown 3 was.... Crackdown 3. Same for Bethesda, ID, arkane, you name it. The best possible candidate is Playground games, they're very clearly experienced with the open world driving part and realistic environment part which is like 40% of GTA. but that other 60% is still very important.

regardless of how you feel about these games, GTA is a type of game that requires the most resources out of possibly any video game to make. So much effort has to be put into making complex AI, massive realistic worlds with immaculate attention to detail, animations that LITERALLY CREATE THEMSELVES with euphoria, great stories, etc. The other attempts lack the same amount of budget put into them and it really, really shows. (cough cough Saints Row 2022 cough cough) But we need this. Rockstar is taking their time with GTAVI so much so that it had to be leaked so people even knew it was coming. The only gaming company in the industry that's actively producing these games is fucking slacking and it's leaving a massive hole that hasn't been filled in over 9 years.
HAHA.... not talented enough for open world games... lol.... Horizon, ghost of tushima, infamous, days gone, spider man are all open world games, not linear.

Sony has done city based open world games. Spidermand which i am sure you know, and Infamous 1,2 and second son were city based games with a living breathing city. Infmaous series, just had super powers instead of driving and did flying climbing, and train track grinding.
Great games if you haven't played them. Shame how 1 and 2 are locked on ps3. Why a remaster was never done, i don't get.

Also insomniac did sunset overdrive for Microsoft. They can make a gta like game, if they wanted to. They are owned by Sony now and could do it.

So Sony definelty has the talent, more so then MS for gta style games. What Sony is missing is western RPG and FPS talent. They have plenty of devs for open world games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Spidermand which i am sure you know, and Infamous 1,2 and second son were city based games with a living breathing city.
OH SHIT I forgot about spiderman and infamous.
That is more of an action brawler than a crime simulator though, and insomniac haven't made a game with car physics
I think all of Sonys internal studios will need to collaborate in order to make a true gta competitor, they all have different skillsets that when combined together could bring something close to GTA.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Well now we have confirmation that a new Cyberpunk game is in the works, so who knows maybe it really will grow into a GTA competitor. I'm sure they'd like it to be and I think in their hearts that's how they thought of it - remember it was going to have a multiplayer component and all that.

They have quite improved the game but if you just move around the city, and consider the "functionality" of the city in terms of random events, people AI or even things like auto repair shops and car washes (Night City doesn't have any...), look GTA is just miles ahead. As it should be, they've been perfecting the formula for decades. But if CDPR can improve upon what they have we really will have a decent competitor, and with a different setting and some very different gameplay elements to keep it distinct (net running etc).

So let us hold each other's hands and pray that instead of one stellar open world game, set in a city full of crime and violence, we can have TWO.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member

sj85DKm.gif
lyySuX5.jpg
pYsHwwD.gif
OC6uMAQ.png
JRcFxca.gif
Uf4LhCg.gif

~ GODZHAND
It's a travesty they ramade 3 instead of the original and now it's locked down to the OG 360

Guilty_AI

They have quite improved the game but if you just move around the city, and consider the "functionality" of the city in terms of random events, people AI or even things like auto repair shops and car washes (Night City doesn't have any...), look GTA is just miles ahead.
Sorry but no. GTA AI is inconsistent as fuck, at times they act smart only to turn around and do something extremely dumb.
A lot, if not all, of the open world activities are also useless or just plain uninteristing, like, car wash? Why? Whats the point? I don't know a single person who used those more than once, many didn't even realize they were on GTA V. Its a 'cool detail' for sure but shouldn't be treated like a feature, their open worlds are lacking on far more important things to be praising car washes.

The game has almost 0 implementation of stealth for example, despite letting you hide in bushes, 'walk silently' and buy silencers. No open world activities that take advantage of the game's main mechanics either. Cop chases that people love proping up serve no purpose whatsoever either and get boring really quick.

Honestly GTA worlds, at least from HD era forward, althought pretty to look at, feel like a huge waste of space from a game design perspective. As someone else here said, old Saints Row games are better at being GTA than GTA itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom