• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With a 23% Rounded Square Deadzone, Destiny 2 Feels Like Halo Reach. [Unresponsive]

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Halo Reach controls were perfection.
So I’m fine with the OP take.

Destiny 2 controls feels perfection.
Have these new Bungie stans even played Halo Reach? Halo Reach split the community because of Armor lock and bloom. It was so hated back then. Thankfully Armor Lock never returned to Halo. Halo Reach has many fans only due to the campaign (it's my personal best Halo campaign) but it had questionable changes to gameplay.

FeldMonster

Have these new Bungie stans even played Halo Reach? Halo Reach split the community because of Armor lock and bloom. It was so hated back then. Thankfully Armor Lock never returned to Halo. Halo Reach has many fans only due to the campaign (it's my personal best Halo campaign) but it had questionable changes to gameplay.
Halo: Reach is not my favorite Halo in terms of gunplay/controls, but game mechanics =/= controls.

It can have terrific controls and awful game mechanics (which it does).

karasu

All of these new games pretty much aim for you on controller anyway.

Glad I use a mouse.
Thank you. A mouse is easy mode. Console players are aiming with our fucking thumb. There's no challenge in using your whole hand. You never hear ab0ut anybody trying to click on a link and missing. :p

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'd say Titanfall and call of duty are hands down the best tight controls ever on a controller.
Preach GIF

There we go! Apex Legends, Titanfall and CoD are top tier. Destiny is bottom tier, lol.

I swear you post this every few months then hide away till the mods forget your craziness.
I never made a post about this, but I've had a conversation about it in another thread - where I also proved my point.
It's not that hard to feel the sluggish controls with 23% deadzone, but somehow there are lunatics in here trying to defend it.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

ethomaz

Banned
I've tried googling it, but besides I can read it on neogaf after the acquisition from Sony, then I can't really seem to find any place where the controls are getting praised for these controls.
So you tried very little because you can find several sites claiming it is the best gunplay they played.
Including Xbox centric sites like....

"Destiny 2 also features the best gunplay I've ever experienced in a shooter, and no other games have even come close to beating it."

I won't even search for you... Game Informer said Destiny's gunplay is not from Earth or something like that.
Even the most hated ERA...

Universal praise for the gunplay.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So you tried very little because you can find several sites claiming it is the best gunplay they played.
Including Xbox centric sites like....

"Destiny 2 also features the best gunplay I've ever experienced in a shooter, and no other games have even come close to beating it."

I won't even search for you... Game Informer said Destiny's gunplay is not from Earth or something like that.
Even the most hated ERA...

Universal praise for the gunplay.
Proof it's bad:

ethomaz

Banned
Well we are talking about controls and not game mechanics.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There we go! Apex Legends, Titanfall and CoD are top tier. Destiny is bottom tier, lol.
Never said anything about apex, as I can't stand battle royale.

But yeah, destiny and halo are away down there.

The feeling is weird. Movement up and down and to sides are fine. But every other way feels off.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Proof it is perfection.

"We'll give an in-depth look at every weapon stat in Destiny 2 and explain what makes Destiny's gunplay the best in the business."

Proof it is perfection.

"But one thing never changes. One thing is always constant – and constantly spectacular: the gunplay."

Proof it is perfection.

Proof it is perfection.

"Say what you want about Destiny, but Bungie absolutely nailed the feeling of impactful, reactive gunplay. It just feels perfect. Bethesda wanted to capture that for Fallout 4."

You're just proving my point that people have no idea of how good controls should work - like being able to make small circular movements tó fine-aim, like in this video:

ethomaz

Banned
This other guys is probably crazy, no?

You can literally see how bad the controls are in that clip :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No, you can't... and that is the point just like your theories lol

You are just like this guy that can't understand:

Or this other one:

You won't understand until play it.
It is really that great.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nah… it is still exception compared with these newer FPS games.
You do know they compensate large deadzone with higher aim-assist, right? It's because the player shouldn't have to worry about aiming, when they can just lock-on to a target and the game does the aiming for them. I'm sure it feels great for a lot of people, but it's not worthy to be called top tier among far better controller games.

PSYGN

Destiny controls are good enough for most players and most players are average at best so it feels good in their hands. You only really notice how subpar it is when you've played games that allow for more precise controls and are good enough to handle it - it's a bit like going from a TV with slow response time to a gaming monitor, or jumping from 60FPS to 120FPS back to 30FPS.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Destiny controls are good enough for most players and most players are average at best so it feels good in their hands. You only really notice how subpar it is when you've played games that allow for more precise controls and are good enough to handle it - it's a bit like going from a TV with slow response time to a gaming monitor, or jumping from 60FPS to 120FPS back to 30FPS.
Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

Banned
the only reason Halo and Destiny are playable at all is due to their ridiculously generous aim assist systems.
if they had normal aim assist like most other shooters noone would play them.

sadly now both Bungie and 343i seem to think they can't change the formula because people are used to it and wouldn't like the change.

look at Halo Infinite, dozens of threads with thousands of upvotes on their official subreddit ahead of launch telling them how absolutely atrocious the aiming in the game is. did they fix it for launch? NOPE... do they even acknowledge that people think it sucks? NOPE... is there any word on fixes or additional controller settings? HEEEEELLL NO!

and you can tell how shit their aiming is by the fact that everyone hates the Commando, a gun that has less aim assist and barely any bullet magnetism. so this gun takes away most of what helps Halo play well and people hate it because the gun exposes how shit the controls are.

during the beta I used a modified Right Stick to Mouse controller mapping someone uploaded to the Steam Controller community configs. and even tho I had no aim assist anymore because it emulated a mouse and doesn't trigger the assist, I still was top fragging in most matches and had no issue hitting targets, even with the Commando.
basically meaning, the aiming in Halo Infinite is so shit, that taking away the aim assist and replacing it with actually good stick aiming is a viable option to keep up with normal controller players.

Outside of Doom Eternal theres no other fps being as good as BL 3 on a pure control / gameplay perspective. it just shits all over D2

UHHHM....

rabstol_net_apex_legends_14.jpg

SQ_NSwitchDS_Warframe.jpg

R.3c6cc6f14bfcafbc923c646fcd05cf68

Last edited:
Destiny 2 is often mentioned as one of the best FPS' on console, because of the tight controls. - In todays standards, this is unfactual.

I came across this post on reddit:

Posted by
u/EternalDahaka

Deadzone | Dotgraph

Acceleration Curve

Interactive graph with requested options and relative sensitivity change(note curve used is different from Destiny's default)

As a broad note, unsurprisingly, Destiny's controls are nearly identical to the Halo titles from Reach onward, so players might be familiar with some of the options Halo 5, MCC and Infinite currently have.

Deadzone Options
Destiny uses an ~23% rounded square deadzone for it's deadzone. 23% is within a pretty common deadzone range, but it is very large, and notably larger than some of the default deadzone used in other games(Overwatch uses 15%, Call of Duty 7%). Larger deadzone can make precise adjustments more difficult, and generally make the controls feel less responsive.

The shape is actually from a circular deadzone being built on top of a square/axial one. The axial portion of the deadzone is responsible for the restricted diagonal movement around the axes, which makes diagonal cursor movements inaccurate to the stick angles. It can make it easier to make perfectly horizontal and vertical movement, but makes it much difficult and clunky to make diagonal movement. Warping the deadzone like that also requires more diagonal movement to see the same acceleration as cardinal movements.

Recent Halo games have offered separate radial and axial options, and that would address things here. Players that want to use circular deadzones with no restricted diagonal movement could set that up, and players who wanted to use exclusive axial deadzones could do that too, along with anything in-between. The slider for both the radial and axial deadzones could range from 0 to 0.30 so that players could play at the defaults with either exclusive deadzone if they preferred. Movement is less important but should get these options as well.

Acceleration curve and turn acceleration options
Destiny 2 seems to use the same curve as Halo Reach, but with a more drastic jump in acceleration, but not quite as large as the jump in Halo Infinite. The sensitivity cap has been increased recently, but previous that would have meant that the 'general' acceleration speeds before that jump would have been slower than in Reach, even if the max turn rate was the same at 10 sensitivity(a current issue with Infinite).

Now there's nothing inherently wrong with the curve itself, but players have any range of preference on what curve they'd like to use. Some might like the default, others might prefer a linear curve, and others might prefer something in-between. I'm not sure if the curve they're using specifically plays well with customization, but some level of granular customization would be requested. Players finding their preferred curve would help with small adjustments and general tracking.

Players have differing preferences on turn acceleration as well, and some feel like it can make aiming feel inconsistent. Just passing the threshold almost doubles your turn speed. Some players might like to completely disable it so acceleration feels smooth all the way up to max stick movement, and others might like to increase the multiplier to turn even faster.

With options for both, this would allow players to really fine-tune their acceleration. Players who like slower sensitivities might like using linear curves with decent turn accel to turn fast, while others might like playing at higher sensitivities with more exponential curves with no turn accel.

Separate horizontal and vertical sensitivity sliders.
It's not at all uncommon for console games to keep the vertical sensitivity lower than the horizontal, but this can come with a few issues. The first is simply that it can make aiming feel awkward for some players who want them to be the same.

The second is that it affects diagonal movement, skewing the angles towards the more sensitive axis. Your cursor angles are simply made up of horizontal and vertical movement, and if you change one, you get a different angle than the correct one. Because the horizontal is faster, all your diagonal angles are shifted horizontally. Ignoring the incorrect diagonal movement caused by the axial deadzone, this means if you correctly move the stick in the correct direction to track a target, the crosshair can fall off target because the angle was altered.

A separate vertical sensitivity slider is requested to address this. Plenty of players are used to this kind of angle warping because of how common it is in console games, but this would allow players who want the same X/Y sensitivity and correct diagonals to access it.

It would also be important that the slider values are correct. Many games that offer separate options have them incorrect, so even if they're set the same the vertical is still lower(i.e. recent DOOMs, Halos, Splitgate, Shadow Warrior, Call of Duty etc.).

Unified acceleration threshold
The dotgraph shows this better, but the threshold for the acceleration jump is broken into separate threshold for vertical and horizontal acceleration, and these thresholds overlap slightly. When passing the horizontal threshold, you only additional horizontal acceleration and when passing the vertical threshold, you get only vertical acceleration.

This is a problem because, like with differing axis sensitivities, this also affects diagonal movement in the same way. If only horizontal turn acceleration is triggered, then your cursor angle becomes more horizontally bias. If only the vertical acceleration is triggering, then your cursor movement more vertically than expected. Many other games have the turn acceleration trigger affect both the horizontal and vertical axes evenly, and that would be the fix to address that here.

Aim assist options
Many might think playing without aim assist isn't possible, but it definitely is, and options for it should always be offered. Bullet magnetism is tied with weapon balance, but slowdown and magnetism could be offered.

Ideally separate sliders for each could be offered, so players could customize what they want. Some players dislike being pulled off target, and could reduce the magnetism while keeping the slowdown. Some might think the slowdown is awkward, and could control that while keeping the magnetism.

Of course, a simple toggle can work too. As a minor thing, it'd be nice to have this option toggle the menu aim assist too when disabled.

Conclusion
This is a lot to ask, given how long it took just to get ADS and higher sensitivity options, but these are important options for thumbstick aiming, and something that would help Destiny 2 play much better.

A "simple" solution would be to add custom controls, like Apex Legends did from the get-go 3 years ago:

fineaim.png

As a former Destiny player with over 5000 hours clocked in on both games, from 2014-2019 and 3 years with Apex Legends (2019-2022), I would love to try Destiny again with updated controls, but as it is now - it feels really bad - extremely unresponsive.

This is lunacy.

How a game "feels" is what matters and many players will subconsciously adjust to a lot of the things you point out here are "issues".

Destiny 2 is one of the best feeling shooters on console, period.

Op, you're a little crazy and a little obsessed.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Op, you're a little crazy and a little obsessed.
crazy nicolas cage GIF

It all comes down to I would like to play Destiny again, but other games I've played (mainly Apex Legends) for the past 3 years, have superior controls and Destiny still feels exactly like the old Halo games.

It's like driving a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S for the past 3 years and trying to enjoy driving a Volvo 240 😂

Destiny definitely needs dead zone options. Tried it on PS5 and it was unplayable for me. Played for awhile on PC with controller and it was ok there, but seems much worse on console for some reason.

Any high level player will notice dead zone immediately and get frustrated by it. I’m not a fan of any of the new aim curves devs ship out these days. Hated Halo 5 specifically because they messed with the foundation of halo aiming. It’s 2022 give people controller options.

Sygma

the only reason Halo and Destiny are playable at all is due to their ridiculously generous aim assist systems.

sadly now both Bungie and 343i seem to think they can't change the formula because people are used to it and wouldn't like the change.

look at Halo Infinite, dozens of threads with thousands of upvotes on their official subreddit ahead of launch telling them how absolutely atrocious the aiming in the game is. did they fix it for launch? NOPE... do they even acknowledge that people think it sucks? NOPE... is there any word on fixes or additional controller settings? HEEEEELLL NO!

and you can tell how shit their aiming is by the fact that everyone hates the Commando, a gun that has less aim assist and barely any bullet magnetism. so this gun takes away most of what helps Halo play well and people hate it because the gun exposes how shit the controls are.

during the beta I used a modified Right Stick to Mouse controller mapping someone uploaded to the Steam Controller community configs. and even tho I had no aim assist anymore because it emulated a mouse and doesn't trigger the assist, I still was top fragging in most matches and had no issue hitting targets, even with the Commando.
basically meaning, the aiming in Halo Infinite is so shit, that taking away the aim assist and replacing it with actually good stick aiming is a viable option to keep up with normal controller players.

UHHHM....

Heh good point, warframe isnt a fps tho

crazy nicolas cage GIF

It all comes down to I would like to play Destiny again, but other games I've played (mainly Apex Legends) for the past 3 years, have superior controls and Destiny still feels exactly like the old Halo games.

It's like driving a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S for the past 3 years and trying to enjoy driving a Volvo 240 😂

That's a pretty good analogy.

I must admit I haven't played APEX Legends so maybe that is god-tier in terms of controls. Given the effort and clear interest you have in this subject, I'll take your word for it. Will give the game a try.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That's a pretty good analogy.

I must admit I haven't played APEX Legends so maybe that is god-tier in terms of controls. Given the effort and clear interest you have in this subject, I'll take your word for it. Will give the game a try.
Please check if they added some form of custom controls with deadzone adjustments 🤞

ethomaz

Banned

UHHHM....

Apex has good gunplay.
WarFrame have shit controls and even worst gunplay.
Titanfall is better than average gunplay.

Destiny is still better than these in gunplay alone.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Okay, let's be (more) scientific about controls in Destiny.

Tell me which top ranking controller players in Destiny, are competitive enough to go head to head with these guys:

Panda
Wallah
ZK
Onyx
Frost

All former controller players who switched to MnK, because they didn't stand a chance against other top tier MnK players.

(Please ask me the same question in regards to Apex Legends)

Top Bottom