• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Witcher 3' Story Mod Stirs Controversy Over AI-Generated Voice Acting

Why are they whining now, its been done in TES/FO for a while .... yes both edited files and AI G VA speech
Mods are free, are these VA going to do it for free for the mods?

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Doesn’t this require a lot of source material?
If the actor doesn’t have that then it isn’t an issue.
I have no problem with this.

it is a democratization of development.
If you have a problem with this we should also get rid of all development tools, engines and libraries developers use because those “took mur jobz”

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

"Voice actors" lol. Thoughts and prayers to those reading off a script. Also I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to the amount of work, training and financial investment people have to put in to actually be successful in the VO industry.
I've changed your words in this quote like an AI could easily change voice actors words.

I've changed your words in this quote like an AI could easily change voice actors words.

Neat. Low-skill jobs that can be replaced with AI and eliminate yearly salary dumps while saving a company millions is going to happen. It sucks, but it is what it is.

the matrix GIF

NoviDon

The technology wont be stagnant they will improve it. yes, for now the AI needs to rely on the voices of actors to generate new and unique dialogue. BUT, in the not so distant future im sure this AI will be upgraded to produce original voices that mimic humans and is indistinguishable from the real thing to the naked ear. If you can just make a payment for one service instead of dozens of actors, and have an endless bank of unique voices without having to pay an actor, thats just a good business decision. Now whole careers are wiped out. They can use it in tv, movies, cartoons, etc. Just wait until they have AI musicians, making perfect music that was ran through countless calculations to ensure with 99.999999% certainty it will top the charts worldwide. Music companies will hide it until its exposed, and then by then people will be so distracted by other events happening and so addicted to the music they wont care, its way better than the human created content. It sounds like a joke or crazy science fiction hysteria, but the roadmap is clear for these things to occur.

humans still fighting the inevitable AI takeover

we are homo erectus status and its time to accept it

They are the future, we are not

I will sell out every one of you to get on their good side with no hesitation.

JaggedGiantBufflehead-max-14mb.gif
Humans were never the future. We were always step a to step b. Too many flaws to be the future. Out civilization has come to peak retardation. Hopefully ai's take over soon or there will be nothing left.

Humans were never the future. We were always step a to step b. Too many flaws to be the future. Out civilization has come to peak retardation. Hopefully ai's take over soon or there will be nothing left.
the aliens haven't visited us because they know we will use their peaceful introduction as an excuse to loot footlocker

they will make themselves known to our AI overlords though.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Learn to code, I guess.

(Until we use AI to write code).

It's getting there:

Soon, the only obstacle to creating anything will be time and money, and time is money. So yeah...

Last edited:

Shmunter

It’s inevitable. You’ll even have sliders for things like happy or sad, mood, speech or song, etc. and it will spit out the lines as directed instantly.

Merkades

This stuff does and doesn't bother me. If we are just talking about whether this can replace VAs, then I don't really care tbh. As a whole , I do. Robots have been putting people out of jobs for decades, the coming AI revolution will put many, many more people out of jobs, this is just one of those. While most people won't care, I was reading about this robot burger flipper in California a few months back*, as well as customer support Robots/AIs. One article was talking about the explosion of AI jobs around 2035ish, another article was showing how AI could make NPCs, or other video game assets (houses was showed in one, birds in another).

So, I am curious how many tears these people shed for everyone else who has lost jobs to AI/Robotics and why I should care now for them specifically? Also not looking forward to companies wanting to chip their employees.

*I know burger flipping or manufacturing is not a choice job, but that is beside the point, and clearly AI is starting to tackle skilled jobs.

Beelzebubs

This stuff does and doesn't bother me. If we are just talking about whether this can replace VAs, then I don't really care tbh. As a whole , I do. Robots have been putting people out of jobs for decades, the coming AI revolution will put many, many more people out of jobs, this is just one of those. While most people won't care, I was reading about this robot burger flipper in California a few months back*, as well as customer support Robots/AIs. One article was talking about the explosion of AI jobs around 2035ish, another article was showing how AI could make NPCs, or other video game assets (houses was showed in one, birds in another).

So, I am curious how many tears these people shed for everyone else who has lost jobs to AI/Robotics and why I should care now for them specifically? Also not looking forward to companies wanting to chip their employees.

*I know burger flipping or manufacturing is not a choice job, but that is beside the point, and clearly AI is starting to tackle skilled jobs.

AI is fine for non profit stuff like mods and will probably be used a lot in the future for NPCs.

What worries me is people essentially stealing your voice without consent. Imagine in the future losing out on a job to your own voice that isn't actually you or you constantly have to listen to performances in your voice but weren't you.

There's been a whole thing in the VA community since Tik Tok stole the voice of a respected Voice Actor Bev Standing.

Automation is the future for sure and people have been losing out for decades and it's horrible but inevitable. It just gets weird when the automations look and sound exactly like you.

The truly worrying thing is that the AI will potentially have your voice and can say whatever it wants so could be used to promote white supremacy etc.

Last edited:

packy34

honestly don't have a problem with this when it's coming from fans/unpaid modders. professional VO will always be necessary for the industry at large; the slippery slope outrage is pretty dumb.

this tech is very interesting for fan-made work, though.

daveonezero

Banned
This is not horrible. This will allow a lot of people to create awesome things.

also algorithms and “ai” are not general AI.

This shit ain’t replacing any human. It is a tool.

no one has general AI or anything close

Last edited:

A.Romero

Voice actors, warehouse employees, cashiers, customer service representatives etc etc. Everything will be replaced by AI, get use to it because the future is dark and full of food stamps.

This right here. Most jobs will be done by AI. The transition will be tough but humanity will flourish at an exponential rate after.

Sadly we won't be around to see it.

sinnergy

like Disney not wanting 3D animation , help our animators are not needed, and music industry not wanting mp3, streaming ..

Go with times … license your voice and relax in Hawaii.

Last edited:
All these voice actors ( and to be honest soon even regular actors ) are stupid. They should already be working on legal contracts which will enable companys and modders to use their voices/looks for games and movies.
They could literally make MORE money without having to do SHIT. They could use tons of stuff they already did as reference for AI to mimic their live performance and would be paid for that.

But NO they gotta complain.
Stupid idiots.

Just as an example - if I was Arnie I would fucking set up some sort of contracts for my family so they would be able to sell my appearance and voice even after I died.
Technology will soon be able to compute their performance, his family would be able to have a steadie income generated. 🤷‍♂️

So no actor = no voice = the AI has nothing to work with.
For now, but the technology is still in its infancy. I can easily see the AI not needing voice samples in the future.

I'm not against modding or limited non commercial use in all honesty. I'm against it being monetized as this Russian company is profiting from stolen voice work. Also the moral implications are very messy if you could use somebodies voice/likeness to endorse the Nazis for example.
Indeed, while this fan-made mod is free who's to say that future game developers won't rely on AI generated voices too?

With Vtubers and virtual idols becoming more and more popular, the current trend seems to indicate that in the near future we won't need human artists, actors and performers at all anymore. Before the internet, actors were further away from their audiences and mostly known for their screen presence. Social media brought them closer to us. The AI revolution might make them completely obsolete.

But NO they gotta complain. Stupid idiots.
I'd say the real issue to discuss is how the entertainment industry is slowly getting rid of humans for the sake of automation. Deepfakes, AI voices, photorealistic CGI, auto-tune... these technologies combined could completely replace performers very soon. Whether this is good or bad remains up for debate, but there is no denying that these technologies will have a deeply transformative impact on the entertainment industry as a whole, be it music, movies or gaming.

ZywyPL

Banned
This is where the industry is going anyway, machine learning will unload tremendous amount of work that would've been needed otherwise, impossible even, like, imagine original cast doing the VA, and then translating those voices into different languages, with perfect lip sync on top of it.

Yoboman

This is super cool

We aren't far from being able to have NPCs who can genuinely have a conversation if somebody pairs this tech with some sort of conversation AI. And those have come a long way too

Imagine like an LA Noire except its not scripted.

S0ULZB0URNE

Such a shitty comment.
I hate this wave of spoiled brats that want their thing with no respect or consideration for whomever makes it.
Spoiled brats are the people who been raping the industry for royalties when people use there voices.

If tech advances to the point that we can just make the voices we want it will be doing the world a huge favor.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Judging from the video in OP:
The intro sequence which ends with Geralt saying he wil come back for her is from Vanilla W3 Blood and Wine.
The rest of the video doesn’t feature much spoken audio, so not much to see here atm.

Last edited:

synce

This isn't exclusive to actors. Welcome to the future where art is dead or cancelled and everyone's job will be replaced with AI and androids, and we can all grow fat and do nothing but waste our lives on social media.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I imagine this tech will eventually be legitimately used in games. Actors will voice core dialogue and cut scenes and then provide additional voice samples to train models for AI use in dialogue that may have traditionally not been voiced. Also there are potentially massive reductions in costs in providing greater localisation options for more regions, so it is something the industry owes itself to investigate if it wants to reach people in every country.

I guess the voice actor's contract would have to define the scope of this use and agree to it. Game companies must probably also keep a record of the seed data for the model and the scope in which they used the resulting model (for legal reasons).

I don't see how mods can be stopped though (unless all games go streaming only). Maybe there will be the equivalent of 'image rights' relating to voice and if someone can prove an AI voice is generated using their voice signature, without consent, then maybe it can be requested to be removed from whichever hosting services are hosting the mod, but it seems like realistically that would be hard to enforce.

FranXico

I think the technology itself is sound, but this should never be done without the express consent of the voice actors.

Shmunter

I think the technology itself is sound, but this should never be done without the express consent of the voice actors.
Synthesis of the voice will be a thing too, if not already. think Siri is now pure synth without need of real person samples.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Seems like that is still his voice no? If that's the case then the original actor is still needed. This type of thing is great for those quest mods where most modders can't hire actual actors.
But still, they'd only been paid by getting their voice recorded, which means a lot less man hours and income.

Haggard

Banned
This and many other aspects in software development are going to be taken over by some kind of AI sooner or later anyways.
The complexity and with it the development cost can`t just increase indefinitely without some kind of automation to keep the budget under control.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is a double edged sword, it's bad for voice actors, but it's good for small indie studios who want fully voiced games but they don't have enough budget.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Meh.

I’d be more impressed with mods that do away with VA completely and don’t have you sitting around for minutes listening to useless dialogue.

How can you say with a straight face actors wouldn't be required? The actor makes choices in their performance that an AI could never do. You can never replace the human factor.

martino

I don't see the problem if it's in a free community project. (imo this should work like most dev tools. Free projects can use free community versions)
Also would this be problematic if a real person was imitating the voice ?

Guilty_AI

Also would this be problematic if a real person was imitating the voice ?
Thing is, one guy who's really good at acting and imitating other voices are uncommon. AI voices can essentially be mass produced, and for pretty much any voice actor.

I think the heart of the discussion here shouldn't be this case in particular, but a scenario where studios start using AI generated voices more often.

It is crazy how quickly AI got better. Deep fakes are very real, you can use AI to compose a metal song by listening to a ton of songs first on its own, now it can perfectly replicate pause and stops in talking. Its amazing.

Here comes Terminator in real life.

martino

I think the heart of the discussion here shouldn't be this case in particular, but a scenario where studios start using AI generated voices more often.
then my opinion is that if you want to make money with your project , you will have to pay the guy (or a license to use his voice if we go there)

Last edited:
Top Bottom