• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Next Gen Features Trailer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm glad they mentioned even in Performance modes, consoles will benefit from new settings, textures and 'near Ultra' pre-sets like they said in the video.

It's gonna have to be some real mind-fucking levels of RT for me to want to play this at 30 FPS.

Justin9mm

That was.... Underwhelming. Note footage captured on high end PC!

It's showing its age and no idea what PS5 or Series X looks like, but it won't look as good as that and that was disappointing to me.

At least it's Free.

Justin9mm

I’ll give it a whirl for like the 9th time to get into it. Never got more than 25 hours into this game. It’s so god damn boring.

Which is weird because Witcher 2 was my GOTY when it came out.
Sounds like me and Horizon Zero Yawn, I tried so hard and forced myself to try and like, put in like 15 or so hours and multiple attempts and with all the praise of the game I was starting to think what's wrong with me but then realised nope, the game is boring as fuck!

Witcher 3 is a slog, combat does not help, you really need to be invested in the lore to push through.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Even though this is my GOAT, I played it on PC with a bunch of graphics and quality of life mods, so I don't think there's enough here to make me revisit. It's cool that it's free though, and I envy those who will get to experience it for the first time in this updated form.

Arsic

Sounds like me and Horizon Zero Yawn, I tried so hard and forced myself to try and like, put in like 15 or so hours and multiple attempts and with all the praise of the game I was starting to think what's wrong with me but then realised nope, the game is boring as fuck!

Witcher 3 is a slog, combat does not help, you really need to be invested in the lore to push through.

I think maybe if I barrel down the main story only I may be able to power through for when it picks up. I just find the pacing so bad compared to Witcher 2.

I almost 100% did CP2077 as well so I’m boggled why I can’t get into Witcher 3.

I want to though. Hopefully some of these changes get me to stick with it.

93xfan

Banned

Not clicking and don’t care about PC one bit. I’ll compare it to what’s already on my console.

So does knowing about PC mods make you feel clever? Think we didn’t know how to Google “Witcher 3” and “best visual mods”? Mods always have that potential. No reason to bother us with it when we are discussing upgrades.

When I start a new thread, and call it “sour PC fanboys?” There you’ll be able to talk about how you spend half your gaming time playing with and researching and promoting mods.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

supernova8

Banned
-Fucking awful 15 fps choppy trailer.. WTF
-4k 30.. not even 4k40... no 60fps rt mode or unlocked mode. So play at inferior 60fps.... or good graphics. This should never be a choice. This is not what modes should be about. Look at ragnarok. These are some OK modes.
-No motion blur in the trailer... not that it would help the shitty 13fps in that video but 30fps really looks like dogshit without some good motion blur. Just play original Lost Planet or shadow of the colossus remake. Look smooth af.
-No difference in graphics really...
Yeah my reaction as well. Could they not upload a fucking 60fps video?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Kind of an underwhelming trailer considering the free upgrades on offer actually look pretty substantial. Either way, been about 8 mos. or so since I last played Witcher 3. Time for a another go and maybe this time I'll finish all the DLC...

BreakOut

Faster loading times with better texture streaming and a solid frame rate is enough to sell me. Then I realized they’re not selling it because I already own it. Being a free next GEN upgrade/Update is pretty fucking cool, especially with the economy because we keep seeing games charging for that or having an upgrade fee of some kind.
Fucking Persona 5

Exentryk

Looks like they included a bunch of different PC mods in the base game now like Instant Sign Casting, Close up immersive camera, HD textures, etc. That's really good!

Looking forward to the 14th to try it all out.

Aenima

Without watching screenshots comparing the OG version with the enhanced version, the game looks just like i remember it. Only thing that stands out to me is the sharper textures in characters outfits.

Already beated the game twice and even got the Platinum trophy, i think ill just wait for a new Witcher game, as much as i loved Witcher 3, my backlog is full of games to try for the 1st time.

fatmarco

I'm still not at all convinced by the "Hairworks", specifically on Geralt.

It looks awful, doesn't respond to light/shadow correctly, whatever shader its using looks out of place etc.

If nothing else, I'm so glad they added in some form of temporal anti aliasing to the game to get rid of the god-awful foliage shimmering. That was my number one graphics related gripe with the original since most other issues can be addressed via mods.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is this coming to PC as well? Because the console versions not having a 60fps perf mode with RT is ultra disappointing. I can't believe they spent this long on the game and it lacks such a mode.

Kumomeme

so control still suck then? still same unresponsive with hit box and weight?

Geralt still walk like drunk guy behind alley?

hmm im never replay the game afterall.

Last edited:
Man, the animations are really showing their age. Well whatever, I'm 100% playing this again, wonder if they'll release a physical PS5 native version?

nikos

I'd say they did a good job because it's what I remember the game looking like, but after watching some videos it didn't look nearly as good as I thought.

Never got far in the game so I'm looking forward to starting over. Steam version is currently 80% off.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Are you guys serious? Lighting looks way better now, much more realistic and natural. Love the look of RTGI, plus the RTAO helps ground stuff even more. No odd glowing stuff anymore.
Don't bother to argue with these people . They are the same bunch of people that argue that RT is just a gimmick , waste of resources bla bla bla

When in reality , the differences is such massive and lighting looks much more realistic now rather than a flat surface

qcBeaEX.png

Another, even more comprehensive summary, taken from Resetera. I just don't know how anyone can be disappointed with that patch. They really went above and beyond.

Alright, I watched the stream and wrote up a complete summary.

Engine, Technology, and Asset Enhancements
- Ray Tracing, including Ray Traced Global Illumination and Ray Traced Ambient Occlusions
- FSR 2 and DLSS 3
- Dynamic resolution scaling
- Screen space reflections still used for water, improved and expanded to other materials
- Higher quality textures (courtesy of HD Reworked modification)
- Higher foliage density and rendering distance
- Higher level of detail scaling
- Higher quality environmental meshes (eg: cobblestone in Novigrad now 3D, not a normal map)
- Improved asset streaming
- Further draw distance (eg: rendering of smoke from distant villages)
- New weather conditions
- Reduced stutter in cutscenes
- Bug fixes
- Ultra+ setting tools for PC (not presets, but a set features to tinker with to extend rendering distance, background character detail, assets, LOD, etc further)

Console Specifics
- 30fps Ray Tracing Quality mode, 60fps Performance mode
- Ray Traced Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusions used in Quality mode
- FSR 2 and dynamic resolution scaling used to maintain target framreates
- PlayStation 5 haptics and adaptive triggers used for sword impacts, spell casting, etc

Gameplay and Features
- Photo mode
- New optional camera, closer and to the side (can be toggled and set for different states, eg exploring, combat, riding, etc)
- Quick casting of signs by holding shoulder button and pressing assigned buttons, to prevent having to go through radial menu
- Map filters to remove clutter, such as points of interest and Skellige caches, for cleaner presentation
- New control options, such as enabling Geralt's spring via control stick tilt, not a button
- Hybrid/dynamic hud and minimap options, such as hiding quest markers in general gameplay, viewed when tapping focus mode
- Subtitle scaling
- Quest fixes
- Cutscene pausing
- Chinese (simplified) dubbing, fully voiced
- Improvements to other languages
- New short quest with returning actors (eg: Geralt) for Netflix content, to unlock Geralt's armour and swords from Season 1 and Season 2
- New optional outfits for Dandelion and Nilfgaard armour, togglable via menu
- Cross saves between platforms (eg: take old save from PC, buy game on PS5, import and continue save from there)
- Additional 'surprises', quality of life features, mod integration, etc

TonyK

Uhh... the upgrades are actually super impressive, even in this compressed video:

52519656981_0a1677562e_o.png

52519180967_9ed229a467_o.png

52519181027_6b0f98f106_o.png

52520132140_f787b49694_o.png

This isn't just a "bump up the resolution and allow for higher framerates" update. They've clearly redone the lighting system and created new textures on a ton of assets. I'm impressed and I really look forward to a more thorough analysis from Digital Foundry or the like.

It's from the CDPR next-gen update stream here:

Thanks for the answer. Regarding comparison screenshots I felt they look the same but at different hour time. I see not difference in models or textures, only it has a more appealing lighting that could occur in base game under the same conditions.

For me it's a 60fps that brings pc quality to consoles. But original PC quality, that was a PS4 hi res version, not something really next gen, like the difference that you can find between console and PC versions of Cyberpunk. It's because that I'm disappointed, because I played more tha 200 hours of The Witcher 3 PC version and this looks exactly as before. I was expecting at least new models. I know it's not a remaster and it's free, but they have made hype about this as if it was a remaster.

I saw people saying The Last of Us 1 remake is almost the same than the Ps4 version, meanwhile this update shows a huge difference. And I think what is speaking is the fact one cost 80€ and the other is free, not the objective difference.

Soodanim

Another, even more comprehensive summary, taken from Resetera. I just don't know how anyone can be disappointed with that patch. They really went above and beyond.
And people complain. For a free patch, that's a hell of an upgrade.

I still want to mod a couple things (weightless items auto-collect, etc) for my first playthrough, but I'll happily wait for this upgrade before I continue.

Kenpachii

FFS the water needs RT reflections. My main problem with the game. Guess we still stuck with the god awful water reflections.

Half arsed update.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Don't bother to argue with these people . They are the same bunch of people that argue that RT is just a gimmick , waste of resources bla bla bla

When in reality , the differences is such massive and lighting looks much more realistic now rather than a flat surface

qcBeaEX.png
But there is no RT on any of this Screenshots.
Next gen one is from the performance mode

Skifi28

It has ray-traced global illumination, ray-traced ambient occlusion.
But truth be told, the difference is not huge. Most people will probably only notice the huge performance drop.
Indeed. It's more about accuracy rather than "whoah this looks immediately so much better". Still, great to have as an option regardless.

Top Bottom