• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows XP source code leaked on 4chan’s /g/

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
>n-word with hard r used 20 times
lol for what?
Its dictionary
650c54ed0a04bf4ceab4703475f13067816f2f07505e4eb2c3e1222ea2409799.png

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Q
o_O wtf is going on with MS security

Yeah. Wonder if we'll see an outbreak where millions of accounts get their account information stolen.

We've seen that before a few years back.

Tbh i can live with this. Doesn't affect me unlike the other thing.

Theres rotten apples everywhere.

Paasei

I don't know shit about how coding works for software. Anyone care to explain why this is a big deal?

petran79

Banned
Compared to Windows 7/10, Windows XP had half RAM requirements for the same games, plus less input lag since you could disable DWM completely. Add also the old GPU cards with older graphic drivers. Arcade cabs, old monitors and emulators will benefit a lot if they make an OS targetting those

jigglet

Banned
I don't understand why people are shocked when this happens. A software endeavor as large as Windows is worked on by literally tens of thousands of people over its lifetime...if not more. Is it that much of a stretch to think one of those did something scummy?

Fuz

Banned
I don't know shit about how coding works for software. Anyone care to explain why this is a big deal?
Code is often reused. Especially when you deal with extremely complex code as OS'. Having access to that makes super easy to find and exploit weaknesses, which could impact the security of W7, W8 and W10 other than, obviously, WXP.
It's a pretty huge deal for Microsoft.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
I wonder why the hacky user-made upgrades never happened for 7. 98 SE got tons of kernel patches to make software only compatible with NT work on it, yet everybody just somewhat accepted 10 and moved on, even though about the entire internet seems to hate it.

Well it's not at all like that in industrial IT, only in cosy office IT environments. We still use XP because some tools can't be migrated and are controlling very expensive equipment. Of course they are firewalled off from the regular network and internet.

This is the situation where it makes sense, and I understand it, but again if I were to interview with your company I'd look at supporting that shit as a hard con. It's the same with companies that use internally developed tools and require their IT to support them. You're forced to learn how to support their tools, their ins/outs and stuff, but then you cant take that knowledge elsewhere because no one else uses it. Would rather work in a company that doesnt have that sort of shit if I was given the choice.

I agree with you. But these changes cost money and corporate clients are often unwilling to take on these expenses because from their point of view there's no ROI, it's just dead fish on their budgets. The exception is the ones who do work for governments since they tend to be subjected to security audits and reviews and they can't stop bitching about it everytime they're reminded they need to spend this much or they're done selling to the government. Right now we're working with a client because they cannot have unsuported OSs anymore and since 2008 just got EOL'd they need to upgrade, but some of the ancient software they use is breaking down on 2019.

Yeah pretty much, it's how it goes. I was previously dealing with a certain hotel in Vancouver that has the same issue (using ancient software that breaks often, in addition to having a terrible set up that was previously run by someone who wasnt at all technical). Some of these companies IT backend's are super outdated and need to be modernized, but they either dont want to spend the money or dont realize the problem until its a massive one really affecting their business.

10 is crap, though.

Yes but what are you going to do for user workstations - give them Linux where no one understands how anything works? Spend way too much money, sacrifice compatibility, and introduce potential other issues by giving them Macs? Windows 10 is currently the best OS for non-technical office users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom