• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows XP source code leaked on 4chan’s /g/

Xisiqomelir

M$ BTFO obv

0I4pxG4.png

0YR2mq9.png

Um4IiRP.png

Griffon

A ton of xp code is still in use in some form in current Windows.
Even if the leak is old code and a lot of patches have been had since then, the possible vectors of attack have probably been multiplied by a lot.

Ovek

7Member7
Whoops... but it still won't make big banks, energy companies or major worldwide corporations upgrade.

You'd be surprised how long shit sticks around in corporate environments.

As someone who works in IT (System Administrator), the oldest OS your machines should have in an enterprise environment at this point is Windows 7. And thats end of life as well, really you should have upgraded to Windows 10 by now or at least be in the process of doing so.

In 2020, if the prospective company I was interviewing with had a lot of machines running Windows XP, I'd consider that a serious red flag. It's a clear sign the company doesnt give a fuck about it's IT backbone/security.

It's ridiculous how some CEOs actually dont think IT is a super integral part of their business. If the business' tech infrastructure and backbone is underfunded, not secure, or ignored, the company will always suffer in one way or another - ways they dont see until its impacting them. Too many older people who own businesses dont understand this and it drives me nuts.

Because of this shit, people who work in IT get put in positions where they're overworked, and they dont have time to implement true quality of life changes. You cant stop doing repetitive tasks that could be resolved if you spent the time to automate them because your bandwidth is too small for what the company is allowing, and they dont pay you enough to really go over and above and fix things on your own time.

/rant (but relevant)

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Coincidentally, I switched back to Linux last week since I no longer need the windows program that refused to run properly on Linux via Wine or any other translation or emulation system. (y)
(and if I ever need it again I'll just install Windows in dual boot just for those things, but relying solely on Windows... Nah!)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As someone who works in IT (System Administrator), the oldest OS your machines should have in an enterprise environment at this point is Windows 7. And thats end of life as well, really you should have upgraded to Windows 10 by now or at least be in the process of doing so.

In 2020, if the prospective company I was interviewing with had a lot of machines running Windows XP, I'd consider that a serious red flag. It's a clear sign the company doesnt give a fuck about it's IT backbone/security.

It's ridiculous how some CEOs actually dont think IT is a super integral part of their business. If the business' tech infrastructure and backbone is underfunded, not secure, or ignored, the company will always suffer in one way or another - ways they dont see until its impacting them. Too many older people who own businesses dont understand this and it drives me nuts.

Because of this shit, people who work in IT get put in positions where they're overworked, and they dont have time to implement true quality of life changes. You cant stop doing repetitive tasks that could be resolved if you spent the time to automate them because your bandwidth is too small for what the company is allowing, and they dont pay you enough to really go over and above and fix things on your own time.

/rant (but relevant)

I agree with you. But these changes cost money and corporate clients are often unwilling to take on these expenses because from their point of view there's no ROI, it's just dead fish on their budgets. The exception is the ones who do work for governments since they tend to be subjected to security audits and reviews and they can't stop bitching about it everytime they're reminded they need to spend this much or they're done selling to the government. Right now we're working with a client because they cannot have unsuported OSs anymore and since 2008 just got EOL'd they need to upgrade, but some of the ancient software they use is breaking down on 2019.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
parts of the Windows 10 kernel are probably the same, even if just for legacy compatibility.
MS is still using Windows NT as a base (but extremely modified by now).
Well actually not that much, that's why it was such a problem with Vista in early stages, because how fundamentally different it was. If Vista would leaked, oh boy...

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

/rant (but relevant)

Well it's not at all like that in industrial IT, only in cosy office IT environments. We still use XP because some tools can't be migrated and are controlling very expensive equipment. Of course they are firewalled off from the regular network and internet.

Sybrix

For the uneducated regarding computer programming, why is a source code leak an issue? Particularly for an old OS like XP?

keraj37

For the uneducated regarding computer programming, why is a source code leak an issue? Particularly for an old OS like XP?
Because things are very rarely written from zero in this industry, they are usually built on top of previous versions. With the source code of an old OS new exploits can be found easier on the modern version of that OS.

Yes, and also it is worth noting that with current status of extremely complex softwares like Windows, it is practically impossible to reverse engineer it.
So source code is to this day very important to understand how the software really was designed.

recursive

As far as I know its generally things like tills and cash points that use XP Embedded. At least it was last time I looked into it, I'd imagine there aren't that many anymore.
You would be surprised. Many embedded systems stay in operation for years if not decades.

Top Bottom