• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

diffusionx

Gold Member
Phones and Consoles are two different beasts. Don't confuse the two.

Yes, if anything, when it comes to consoles, customers are even more price sensitive.

80% of PS4 buyers choose a base system over a Pro - this should tell you that maybe MS is onto something with this.

Yes, if anything, when it comes to consoles, customers are even more price sensitive.

80% of PS4 buyers choose a base system over a Pro - this should tell you that maybe MS is onto something with this.

Or many people bought a base PS4 before the Pro launch and didn’t feel the need to upgrade until the next gen. I know that I fell into that category.

I was going to switch to Xbox this gen, but they have failed to deliver on games. Halo Infinite was an embarrassment and the games shown have not even been shown on an Xbox Series S/X.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Or many people bought a base PS4 before the Pro launch and didn’t feel the need to upgrade until the next gen. I know that I fell into that category.

I was going to switch to Xbox this gen, but they have failed to deliver on games. Halo Infinite was an embarrassment and the games shown have not even been shown on an Xbox Series S/X.

No, this is post-Pro launch, Sony said 1 out of 5 systems sold were Pros. In aggregate obviously the number is much lower. I keep saying this but console gamers don't buy consoles based on power. They want a affordable game system with great games they can enjoy. I have my doubts based on their game showings which have been horrific... but I can still see why they are setting it up this way.

Last edited:

scydrex

If with someday with a special or discount the Series S drop to $250 I would get one honestly... right now will get my PS5. Well that will depend if Nintendo releases a Switch 2 or Switch Pro or something...

Fake

No, this is post-Pro launch, Sony said 1 out of 5 systems sold were Pros. In aggregate obviously the number is much lower. I keep saying this but console gamers don't buy consoles based on power. They want a affordable game system with great games they can enjoy. I have my doubts based on their game showings which have been horrific... but I can still see why they are setting it up this way.

Not true at all. If instead of PRO and X, PS5/Series X was launch people would move on. You're making mistake about bump vs next gen machine. They're using brute data, and that was one of their mistake when they launched Xbox One.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not true at all. If instead of PRO and X, PS5/Series X was launch people would move on. You're making mistake about bump vs next gen machine. They're using brute data, and that was one of their mistake when they launched Xbox One.

Everything I said was true. I am not making a mistake, rarely do the most expensive and most powerful consoles find the most success. That said, this is a brand new strategy and nobody knows what will happen. It will be interesting.

Fake

Everything I said was true.
I am not making a mistake

Right... Remember when Microsoft thought mobile game would destroy gaming console for good? Or when people would prefer a one in one box instead of a gaming console because they collect data from Xbox 360 and most of Xbox 360 users watch Netflix and Youtube on their Xbox 360?

Good times. Is that the data you're using here. PRO was not only more expensive, but just a update version of a console with already exist on the market, aka premium product. Of course base PS4 would get more numbers than PRO, what you expected?

The only results you gonna get are about Series S selling more than Series X.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Right... Remember when Microsoft thought mobile game would destroy gaming console for good? Or when people would prefer a one in one box instead of a gaming console because they collect data from Xbox 360 and most of Xbox 360 users watch Netflix and Youtube on their Xbox 360?

Good times. Is that the data you're using here. PRO was not only more expansive, but just a update version of a console with already exist on the market, aka premium product. Of course base PS4 would get more numbers than PRO, what you expected?

The only results you gonna get are about Series S selling more than Series X.

I'm not saying MS never made a mistake. I am saying I can see why they set this up the way they did *here*, and why people would be interested in this cheaper console. I don't see how the Pro being an upgrade over the PS4 matters, especially if I never owned either PS4. Sony has sold ~50 million consoles since the Pro came out, so lots of new customers.

Thing is - I walk into the store, the guy tells me, well they both play the same games, this one runs a bit better, but costs $100 more. Well that settles it, I just want to play the games. It's the exact same dynamic here. MS is undoubtedly thinking that the same thing is going to go on here and they will get people who can't afford or don't want to spend $500 on board. It is also an upgrade for cash-strapped One S owners.

Ok, thanks for the correction. I still wonder if people figured they would bridge with the cheaper solution until next gen. Personally, I only want to buy a console once a gen, not 2+ times.

sainraja

This is a controlled leak.

expectation:

$499 Ps5
$399 Digital ps5

series X $399
Series S $299

they want Sony to believe the 499 price tag, this is a def controlled leak.

Actually, I would not be surprised if that were the case given how Brad Sams was talking about it before Microsoft made it official.

iJudged

Banned
for my US people here, Nov 11th is Vets day(national holiday here) if your employer follows it, meaning no fkng work and new xbox all day~!~

VAVA Mk2

🙄 PlayStation profit exceeded XBox revenue last quarter.

XBox does not have access to all of Microsoft’s money. It does not work like that.

Youve got it the wrong way around. PlayStation has more money to play with.
You do realize Microsoft as a company dwarfs Sony right? Not just talking XBox division...

reinking

Gold Member
Can someone remind me. Did a version of the Xbox One X Xbox One S launch at $299? The 500GB version. I might be remembering wrong.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

You realize the way large companies work right? Division are held accountable.
Yes they are but if it means long term advantage to get a larger install base early for more profit down the road, MS will put in more funds from other divisions if it will pay off long term.

The_Dama

Great move for MS. $299 is a great price to enter next gen, especially in this pandemic. Most gamers are still probably going with Series X.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You realize the way large companies work right? Division are held accountable.
Yes, but each division has it's own goals.

Considering Xbox has been a drag vs. other MS divisions for 20 years, but still going and MS coming out with more gear, games, studios and features it's not going anywhere. It is not being held to the same standards as the Windows division raking in billions of profits. Xbox division not held to same metrics as other divisions.

Same can be said for Sony's TV division. A terrible 10 year span that caused Sony to lose billions. Yet it's still around. In the meantime, they sold off some divisions and assets that made money, so they could funnel the proceeds to counter the TV division losses. TV division not held to the same standard as other divisions or it would have been gassed years ago.

At a more nitty gritty analysis, each product line has it's own mission and goals. Every company I've worked for has product lines in the same division that are shitty profits, but some are awesome. It doesn't mean you gas the losers. There's strategic reasons to keep them around.

Last edited:
Sony could set the PS5 console at 599 and still outsell Microsoft.

That was what Sony thought as well when the PS3 came out, and that didn't go the way they thought the first 6 out of 7 years of the PS3's lifetime. It's unlikely Sony will make that mistake again, which is why we have the "wait and see what price the other party revealed first" game going on right now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This was a pretty big announcement. However, I have to admit that almost no major outlet talked about it and there was very little hype. It was pretty like it didn't happen.

Im shocked....Sony got what they wanted and got MS to reveal the price, so now Sony needs to hurry up and let the cat out of the bag.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$500 and $300.

Looks like the most guesstimated pricing for both(?) was right the whole time. I think I was in the camp.

Now to see if my PS5 $500 and PS5 Digital $400 are right. $450 seems more logical, but I think Sony will round down.

ancelotti

I'm holding at 499/599 but my second choice would be 450/550.

It seems highly unlikely to me that Sony would create an entirely separate SKU for only $50 that most early adopters probably don't even care about.

CrysisFreak

Banned
That was what Sony thought as well when the PS3 came out, and that didn't go the way they thought the first 6 out of 7 years of the PS3's lifetime. It's unlikely Sony will make that mistake again, which is why we have the "wait and see what price the other party revealed first" game going on right now.
360 was significantly cheaper, had actual exclusives, was released much earlier and still got outsold.

JLB

Banned
I could be wrong, but I guess that the silence of Sony means that the prices wont be on the 399 ballpark that many people is expecting. I mean, we would already got some news from Sony otherwise.
I got my Xbox S / X predictions right.
My bet for PS5 is 599/499.

360 was significantly cheaper, had actual exclusives, was released much earlier and still got outsold.

Like I said before, not in the first 6 years out of 7 of the PS3's lifetime. The PS3 barely beat it on sales numbers the last year when the PS3 Slim was on sale at $200.

Top Bottom