• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
What bothers me about the idea of a digital at $399 is that it's too much of a drop for a lack of disc drive. 100USD for a disc drive is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think they'll lower the capacity either.

They should throw in 6 months of PLUS or something to the more expensive model to justify it if they'll separate pricing by 100 dollars.

It's a tough needle to thread.
The actual component costs would only be a $20 difference but look at PSN prices vs physical versions. The physical prices drop way faster. So they'd be selling way more games at full or near full price on the digital system. Then you factor in that there's no retail cut on any of those sales. Then factor in that there's no used games sales on that version. It makes long term profits much more assured

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
not until the end of the gen also they had to cuT the price and take out ps2 bc. The ps3 didn’t take off until they released the slim model and was I think 400-350$. Had they not cut costs the ps3 very likely could have failed.
I think the slim was $299. That was the first big Kevin Butler ad

Gamezone

Gold Member
The Xbox Series S no disc drive is odd. The disc drive really isn't that expensive, and disc users should also have the option to go with the cheaper console.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
The actual component costs would only be a $20 difference but look at PSN prices vs physical versions. The physical prices drop way faster. So they'd be selling way more games at full or near full price on the digital system. Then you factor in that there's no retail cut on any of those sales. Then factor in that there's no used games sales on that version. It makes long term profits much more assured
I will let you in on a little secret. Today's investor is not waiting 4 years on a return on investment so you can score warrior points. Sony makes 8 more dollars on digital games vs retail. That is 7 games to make up that 50 bucks or most of a generation for a lot of gamers. Sony does not need to under cut Microsoft ffs you warriors don't need to win every talking point. Sony has mind share and the EU they are not desperate like Microsoft people.

Dane

Sonys chip is working on much higher frequency (If previous RDNA generation is any indication then almost on chip max frequency) which makes producing chips way more expensive. MS also can repurpose partially not working chips to make XSSes. Sony need to throw them away. I think PS5 APU can be more expensive to produce at the end especially because XSS exists.

IMO the main question is how its going to handle, the base 5700 is up to 1750 MHZ, 2250 MHZ on PS5 would really be a unseen step. I think the cost went on the cooling solution.

Last edited:
Dang out of nowhere.
Sounds like most people's predictions

Yeah, the $499/$599 (U.S.) predictions for the PS5 have been uttered in the same breath. I'm thinking those have to be legit too, and Sony may cut to $499/$399 (U.S.) to help stave off competition.

I wonder if Microsoft will go lower than $499 if Sony drops though.

Elysion

Banned
Whatever the prices for the PS5 and PS5 DE will be, I think they will either be 100$ apart, or they cost the same. Why? Because a fifty dollar difference doesn't really mean much, at least not as long as the first number of both prices is the same (499 vs 449, or 599 vs 549). There's a reason why most consoles have historically launched at prices that ended with 99. Psychologically a fifty dollar difference would only start to have an impact when we're talking about lower overall prices, like 299 vs 249, or 199 vs 149.

But for anything over 400$, a fifty dollar difference doesn't really do much, unless the first number changes, like with 549 vs 499, or 449 vs 399. Since 599 isn't a mass market price in the long term (and 549 wouldn't be seen as much better), the standard edition will most likely come at 499, just like most expected, since 449 wouldn't be perceived as much of a difference compared to the XSX price of 499. This in turn means that the DE comes either at 399, or it costs the same as the regular edition (maybe it gets bundled with a game and a year of PS Plus or something).

That's why I think those prediction of 449$ or 549$ for either model don't make much sense. Imo the numbers we're looking for are either 399, 499, or 599.

sainraja

I wouldn't spend half a grand on a gaming console for my daughter. Now I game of course so that changes things. From a non gaming parent point of few.. $499 is a lot for a video game system.

I should have acknowledged that and clarified my statement a little because I get that; I was asking that question with people who post here in mind. Most of us, who are getting the Xbox will get the Series X. I know it's a good option price wise. But to offer a different point of view, most people who wouldn't spend half a grand likely wouldn't be the first to upgrade to a new console when they can get current gen consoles with a vast library probably even cheaper now given this will be $299.99. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would be surprised if current gen console prices aren't lowered.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I should have acknowledged that and clarified my statement a little because I get that; I was asking that question with people who post here in mind. Most of us, who are getting the Xbox will get the Series X. I know it's a good option price wise. But to offer a different point of view, most people who wouldn't spend half a grand likely wouldn't be the first to upgrade to a new console when they can get current gen consoles with a vast library probably even cheaper now given this will be $299.99. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would be surprised if current gen console prices aren't lowered.
I see what you're saying, I think Microsoft would also be happy to sell these two primarily PlayStation 5 owners as a secondary Game pass console. They are definitely trying some new things, time will tell if those are good or bad.

The 512GB SSD is gonna be a shitshow. I love the 299 pricing but games this gen already are blooming up to insane sizes. After OS etc I would imagine about 350 GB will be usable space. On a digital only console.

And its not even like you can plug in a USB external drive this time.

I still think I might get it though. At 299 its cheap enough to push off my plans of upgrading my PC for another 2 years or so. I was gonna do it next year but the only AAA games I play on it are Apex, Rainbow Six and CSGO. All of them are giving me 150 FPS as it is.

njean777

This is a controlled leak.

expectation:

$499 Ps5
$399 Digital ps5

series X $399
Series S $299

they want Sony to believe the 499 price tag, this is a def controlled leak.

I see the Series X being 500 and the ps5 being 500-550. Also the Digital ps5 will likely only be 50$ cheaper. I could also see MS going 450 for the series x but not 399. MS could bleed that money, but Sony not so much.

Jigga117

The 512GB SSD is gonna be a shitshow. I love the 299 pricing but games this gen already are blooming up to insane sizes. After OS etc I would imagine about 350 GB will be usable space. On a digital only console.

And its not even like you can plug in a USB external drive this time.

I still think I might get it though. At 299 its cheap enough to push off my plans of upgrading my PC for another 2 years or so. I was gonna do it next year but the only AAA games I play on it are Apex, Rainbow Six and CSGO. All of them are giving me 150 FPS as it is.
512gb, 825Gb and 1tb what difference does it make? PC and game consoles you still need more space so we all will need external storage which hasn’t been uncommon now for the last 10 years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

expectation:

$499 Ps5
$399 Digital ps5

series X $399
Series S $299

SeX $500
PS5 $500
PS5 Digital $400 (financially, I think it should be $450, but at these kinds of prices they'll round down to $400)
SeS $300

A PS5 Digital $400 will sell like crazy. Console market has that $400 max mentality for probably 15 years and doesn't look like it's budging.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is how it's getting announced?

FFS.

Here

white-golden-firework-explosions-gif.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
If I was Sony I'd sell the disc version for $525. That would make it look like the superior console.
And then the digital for $450, so it's only missing the disc drive and even cheaper than the "lesser" X.
:messenger_ogre:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A disk drive does not equal 100 dollars. You 399 people are smoking some GOOD drugs today
The sport model of a car might be $10,000 more than the regular model.

A slightly better engine, nicer seats and a spoiler does not cost the car maker an extra $10,000 to make.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
IMO the main question is how its going to handle, the base 5700 is up to 1750 MHZ, 2250 MHZ on PS5 would really be a unseen step. I think the cost went on the cooling solution.
I wouldn't worry about that. 5700XT can be overclocked to ~2.2GHz with skyrocketing power consumption but still it's possible. RDNA2 is supposed to be more power efficient so that frequency is even more obtainable. I wonder what is power budget for PS5 and how much it will cut GPU speed to keep it.

If I was Sony I'd sell the disc version for $525. That would make it look like the superior console.
And then the digital for $450, so it's still the same machine without the disc drive and even cheaper than the "lesser" X.
:messenger_ogre:
God thing then, that you are not in place of Sony. I hope you are not running any business.

To be honest the best thing sony can counter Microsoft is making the physical and Digital the same Price say at $350 dollars considering that ps5 DE has the same power as the disk version or $499 for disk version and $350 for PS5 DE so in my money it would be £300 pound and i think its £400 pound that should compete with Series S

Last edited:

sinnergy

To be honest the best thing sony can counter Microsoft is making the physical and Digital the same Price say at $350 dollars considering that ps5 DE has the same power as the disk version or $499 for disk version and $350 for PS5 DE so in my money it would be £300 pound and i think its £400 pound that should compete with Series S
Best thing would be digital for 199 and disc version for 299, imagine all those sales ! Just imagine , it would literally be unstoppable. To bad there are old share holders with old principle and small minds .

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
71usp98ZmDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I sorta like the cheap looking xbox. It looks like a sub.

nemiroff

Gold Member
First a very nice Nvidia surprise, and now Microsoft. This is going to be a great year - And beyond.

Last edited:

Invalid GR

Taking a 150 dollar plus loss not a problem? The BOM is 450-550 plus shipping and retail cut. Why would the undisputed market leader with super mindshare need to under cut anyone with limited supply lol.
Dude I am not suggesting that Sony needs to undercut MS. But you have to think if Sony given the current situation can give MS a blow like that it will be over for XSX. And I really don't think BOM is that high for either console. Selling at a loss of lets say 10% is huge. A BOM @ 500 means that retail price should be in the 799 region at least. If a console sells for 499 retail then it probably has an estimated BOM around 350 tops.

expectation:

$499 Ps5
$399 Digital ps5

series X $399
Series S $299

This would make the XSS DOA if 100 bucks more could get you the XSX.
My bet is
XSX 499
XSS 299
PS5 449
PS5 Digital 399 or 449 if the rumored 2TB exists

at this point everyone is exaggerating the price point for the PS5 because know actually knows it. You reply to my quote saying “please stop the console war junk” yet you reply with a ridiculous line then reply again with another war starting statement. Your a clown that’s all you are. Am I clown too? Dam straight I am.
It wasn't a war starting statement. If you don't know what it is then why bait people by pretending you did? You stated it in an objective manner in order to start a flame war, what I said was extremely tame in comparison to the nonsense you post on here.

I don't expect much sense from console warring fanboys, though.

Do you not have a current gen console? Cause can't you just play games on those if you don't care about graphics

Just because one doesn't care about the graphics doesn't mean that one doesn't want to own a next-gen console, one that runs current gen games at a more stable frame-rate, etc.

Papacheeks

Banned
Tom Warren is reporting that this was not a intentional leak .......

If this is true, then there goes the "MIC DROP" moment they were aiming to have. Now in a positive note, they can concentrate on what matter more than a $300 console. The games.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Would have been nice for them if they could have had a mic drop moment. But oh well, this is what happens when you take too long to say shit. Leaks.

Sony should come in with a $350 and $499 PS5 duo.

Says he's not starting a console war but came into this thread exaggerating about the PS5 price... I love how you basically had no response to anything I actually said besides the last line, hence why I said it in the first place.

That's only because it's the truth. Microsoft made the Xbox One $
It wasn't a war starting statement. If you don't know what it is then why bait people by pretending you did? You stated it in an objective manner in order to start a flame war, what I said was extremely tame in comparison to the nonsense you post on here.

I don't expect much sense from console warring fanboys, though.
Baiting people hahaha. You’re a cook show bud. I legitimately think that’s how it’s gonna go down and if your taking this much offence to what I’ve said. That proves you’re a flaming Sony boy as I’m a flaming Xbot.

cryptoadam

Banned
I really think MS is offering amazing value here. 299 or 499 you chose, and then you have Game Pass. For the cost of what 2 games you can get all of MS 1st party and tons of 3rd party games to play for an entire year.

But alas I don't think it will be enough. PS5 has to much mindshare. In US it might be close for a while but the rest of the world will be Sony (and Nintendo). Which is a shame because I would love Sony to have some pressure and to be more aggressive.

kingwingin

For any Canucks, It's $380 CDN.

Nice price. At the current exchange rate it should be $396. Or just round up to $399.99.

Instead they rounded down about $20 to $379.99.

Wonder how low they will go with the series x. Exchange puts it at 658, would they go 600 or 650? 650 would definitely push me more towards the s

I think $299 is a good price, but I'm not a fan of the way it looks. The overall design is great, but the contrast looks terrible IMO. I think the Series S as a whole is a smart product for Microsoft because chances are high that the Series X won't outsell the PS5 and the S gives them a way in even as a second console.

If I didn't have a PC (that hopefully will be getting a 3080 soon *fingerscrossed*) I would totally jump on the S at some point for Forza/Halo/Gears and just purchase Game Pass when exclusives come out.

A disk drive does not equal 100 dollars. You 399 people are smoking some GOOD drugs today
You are right BUT you also are selling a product with less functionality that people will need to buy directly from you instead of retailers thus giving you higher profit margins which allows you to sell for cheaper then just removing the UHD drive.

I'm hoping for $399 Digital and $499 Standard edition on the PlayStation side. I very much prefer the look of the All Digital PS5, but I still have a small collection of anime and Japanese horror movies on disc. I still have my PS3 around that I could use, but I'll be trading in my PS4 Pro when I get the PS5.

sainraja

You asked why, if the Series X is $500 and the S is $300, why wouldn't they just get the X.

I was asking that question with people on this forum in mind. Let me simplify that question for you. Will you skip getting the Series X and get the Series S instead?

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Great prices!
Unfortunately I'm so angry over Microsoft's forced crossplay practices that I no longer intend to buy a Series X.

mckmas8808

Banned
The Series S gives people access to the library (such that it is), is a replacement for the One S, and is very aggressive on price which makes sense in a world of a government-caused collapse of the economy. Not going to do that Dodgeball meme but we've never seen a company approach a new gen of console in this way, so who knows if it will work.

On the other hand, you look at something like the iPhone lineup, and the base phones are always the best selling. I mean the difference between the PS4 and PS4 Pro were pretty easy to see but the PS4 Pro was only about 20% of the market. My guess is the One X is a little higher but most of the sales are almost definitely One S.

Phones and Consoles are two different beasts. Don't confuse the two.

Top Bottom