• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

scydrex

PS4 undercut the Xbox One by $100 when they could have easily gotten away with $50.

Everything we've heard so far points towards Sony being extremely aggressive towards dominating the market with the PS5, and the best way to do that is through pricing, especially when they have a perceived weaker console in their hands. Now they also have to contend with a lower priced Series S.

Not to mention, historical data shows that consoles priced between $400-$450 (or lower) generally find mass market success.

Remember the kinect was included... so if you take that out they cost the same.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ill get a Series X at some point Next year and move my One X to my bedroom. Eventually when the One X isnt supported I will likely switch it to a Series S.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
...No. I'd say there's practically no way this even outsells the original unless it's very competitively priced.

A chunk of those were day one sales. A chunk were with consoles (no sign that's coming this time, but maybe). It sold 14m on a console with, what?, 100m or so sales at the time.

That's not to say it'll do badly, but if the original can't make 20m, there's no way this will. And even then, 20m is in no way tens of millions.
Uh 20m is LITERALLY 10s of millions. It's a multiple of 10.

Aion002

Do you not have a current gen console? Cause can't you just play games on those if you don't care about graphics
I have a PS4 and PC.

My addiction to Civilization turned my PC a Civ machine so I don't think I will upgrade it anymore.

I will definetly buy the PS5, but with the Xbox having game pass and the SS being 300 bucks... Well... It's really attractive to me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

sojuwarrior

If XSX is $499 , then the price range for PS5 must be around the +/- $50
$450-$550 for PS5 is totally fair and better than the $600 predictions that ppl were worried about...

TheMan

499 is the best case scenario for tech like this, I was seriously prepared for up to 699. That said I just bought a pc and with game pass there seems to be little reason to buy a sexbox, but yeah good for them.

That price was why they did this. Its a brilliant strategy that Sony quite frankly wont be able match with their digital version.

Mmnow

Uh 20m is LITERALLY 10s of millions. It's a multiple of 10.
Yeah, but you'd be laughed out of a sensible discussion if you used it like that. It'd be changed if you tried to put it in marketing copy, for instance.

Going "but it's a multiple of ten" for something which we're discussing in the context of game sales is a cop out. It's not tens of millions, its 20m. Tens of millions implies more (which is why the guy I replied to used it).

ZywyPL

Banned
500gb for an all digital has to be a joke

I think just as with 1S and 1X, the Series S game sizes will be much lower than Series X due to lack of 4K textures etc., lower res CGI etc. Supposedly MS was doing some research with ML upscaling for textures, so maybe they will indeed use the tech for Series S.

People need to stop saying PS4 undercut xbox one because it didn't, xbox one had a higher price because of the kinect

Well, many rumors surrounding launch period of current-gen consoles strongly indicated that Sony also intended to launch PS4 bundled with PS Eye for 499, but decided to ditch it in the very last minute to indeed undercut MS. Those rumors never got confirmed nor denied, however, that DS lightbar glows till this very for a reason...

Sony is arragont as fuck, they will.

They are indeed, but still, they see how successful they are when constantly aiming for 399 whether it's the base PS4, PSVR, or Pro, they know the best how crucial low price point is. Not only that, but Playstation is Sony's most (financially) successful department, they just cannot screw that one up, they have to go in, whereas MS can shut down XB division and still be a successful trillion dollar company.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yeah, but you'd be laughed out of a sensible discussion if you used it like that. It'd be changed if you tried to put it in marketing copy, for instance.

Going "but it's a multiple of ten" for something which we're discussing in the context of game sales is a cop out. It's not tens of millions, its 20m. Tens of millions implies more (which is why the guy I replied to used it).
No it implies 20m or more. If it sold 10m two or more times over then it's tens of millions. If it sold 2m you can say it sold millions. If it sold 2 thousand you can it sold thousands

Someones gonna have to pay for that fancy new ssd and over the top new controller.
Please stop starting console wars, jeez...

There's no way Sony is answering with a higher price, if they haven't done it this gen then they won't ever again, as they've learned from the PS3. They'll follow what they've been doing for the last 7 years, by announcing either a $399 price tag and losing a lot of money per unit or $449.

$599 is completely off the table, they're not asking more money for less power. They're not MS...

Mmnow

No it implies 20m or more. If it sold 10m two or more times over then it's tens of millions. If it sold 2m you can say it sold millions. If it sold 2 thousand you can it sold thousands
Right, it implies 20 million or more. It could be 20m, it could be 90m.

Nobody in their right mind uses it for 20m. It should be obvious why that is, and I'm not sure why you're arguing over such a ridiculous point? Your Achtually post isn't correct in almost any context. Even marketers wouldn't use it how you're saying to use it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Right, it implies 20 million or more. It could be 20m, it could be 90m.

Nobody in their right mind uses it for 20m. It should be obvious why that is, and I'm not sure why you're arguing over such a ridiculous point? Your Achtually post isn't correct in almost any context. Even marketers wouldn't use it how you're saying to use it.
You started the arguing on this point so don't call it ridiculous now. I disagree with your assessment of what someone in their right mind would use 20m for. I've always used it for once we reach multiples of anything. I've definitely said a game has sold millions when it reaches 2 million before and thought nothing of it

Please stop starting console wars, jeez...

There's no way Sony is answering with a higher price, if they haven't done it this gen then they won't ever again, as they've learned from the PS3. They'll follow what they've been doing for the last 7 years, by announcing either a $399 price tag and losing a lot of money per unit or $449.

$599 is completely off the table, they're not asking more money for less power. They're not MS...
Me starting a console war lol. If anything your last sentence was more war starting that anything I’ve ever said. Get real buddy.

THE:MILKMAN

What is with the 10th November release date? Is a Tuesday likely? I guess it doesn't really matter what day but I thought they did console releases on Fridays for the 2-day weekend?

In that specific scenario then sure but didn't they say current gen would play the games for a couple years?

Yes, but if someone doesnt already own an xbox one, The series S is practically the same price and will run every game better. There would be no reason to buy an xbox one anymore.

Just had a thought RE: Sony pricing - Sony can take a hit on physical hardware costs and sell at a loss, as they will recoup that money on software sales.

Microsoft has the hardware, Sony has the software and with both pumping out powerful consoles should mean that the next-gen is going to be spicey for all!

Gamers won today.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
What is with the 10th November release date? Is a Tuesday likely? I guess it doesn't really matter what day but I thought they did console releases on Fridays for the 2-day weekend?
Games release on Tuesdays many times. Guess maybe they're trying to match up with a COD or something?

hemo memo

Gold Member
If XSX is $499 , then the price range for PS5 must be around the +/- $50
$450-$550 for PS5 is totally fair and better than the $600 predictions that ppl were worried about...

PS5 will be $499 at a loss most likely to compete with XSX and they’ll balance that with the $399 PS5 digital and that where they’ll get most of the money from PS store because no retail cut.

Dane

On my GPU calculations based on last gen, it's the XSX that's already taking a signficant hit, PS5 could be possibly on the same price or slightly less, its the most important division Sony has, but it could be anything:

1) Sony taking big losses per unit and using its market power to have a huge gap lead like the current generation

2) Sony selling at the same price as XSX without big losses and using its market power to still have lead over Xbox in a smaller margin

3) Sony taking zero loss, being more expensive than XSX, and accepting a second place but with profits from the start and likely just a bit behind of Xbox due to its market power. I think this is a least likely scenario.

SoraNoKuni

499 for PS5 Disc edition is pretty much confirmed. I don't think they want to be more expensive while they have a weaker GPU even if the SSD is way faster.

Now the digital edition though.. That will be an interesting guess.

399? 100 more than the series S..

I don't know, maybe they will sell it on a loss since they'll get the $ from their store and they will target a 349 price tag.

Dodkrake

Banned
On my GPU calculations based on last gen, it's the XSX that's already taking a signficant hit, PS5 could be possibly on the same price or slightly less, its the most important division Sony has, but it could be anything:

1) Sony taking big losses per unit and using its market power to have a huge gap lead like the current generation

2) Sony selling at the same price as XSX without big losses and using its market power to still have lead over Xbox in a smaller margin

3) Sony taking zero loss, being more expensive than XSX, and accepting a second place but with profits from the start and likely just a bit behind of Xbox due to its market power. I think this is a least likely scenario.

Nonsense. A loss of 100$ per console for the first 5 or 10M while selling more than double over a gen yields way more profits than selling less than before with profit from the beginning.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Messaging is going to be key for Sony. If they price at $399/$499, people will inevitably ask why the DE is $100 more than the Series S, not knowing that Series S is a less powerful machine while the PS5 DE is just a diskless PS5 with all the same internals.

ManaByte

Jim Ryan on the PS5 price:

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform."

Get ready for the $599 disc version and the $499 digital version.

reinking

Gold Member
Why are so many in this thread acting like Sony spent a lot more on the PS5 than MS did on the Series X? Do you know something I do not?

Sony will match the $499 price MS is putting out when MS makes it official. I nailed it all along saying both will launch at $499 because that price has already been established by MS and Sony's inference of costing more was based on it being more expensive than their previous generation. It just makes sense.

I am excited that we are finally getting close to preorders.

Top Bottom