• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is going to have trouble escaping the meme that it’s less powerful than XBox One X - even if it’s not true. The Tflops. You make them the most important thing. People are going to regard it as the most important thing.

Skifi28

The price at 500 is pretty good for the hardware. Not sure about that speaker addon though, a bit on the expensive side.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is going to have trouble escaping the meme that it’s less powerful than XBox One X - even if it’s not true.

I honestly don't think so. This thing is much cheaper than the Xbox One X is right now (the current most powerful console). And it's significantly better. Any comparisons just highlight the favorable price point.

CD'S BAR

👏🏾 nice! Now do the definition for “confirmed”
And explain the correlation between this news and the pricing for PS5 and PS5DE
plenty in here have the same hunch. but i'll humor you: you're nuts if you think sony is going to price a cent above microsoft's most expensive model, which means the digital ps5 should be somewhere between 399-449. i said 399 because of the ps4 launch price and how successful that was for them.

Last edited:

meech

Both consoles seem like a great value proposition. People underestimate the S, the thing is a little beast, especially for $299.
It would be ok for 199 Dollars. For 299, just pay 100 bucks more and get the Ps5, which is far more powerfull and has Sony exclusives. Series S is a steaming pile of crap.

Kokoloko85

So whos this for?

New Xbox fans?
Xbox 1 X owners?
Games on launch?
Only people who are getting excited and will buy it are current Xbox fans, doubt it will change much

Last edited:

Bankai

You said Series S is DOA if Series X and PS5 are $499. I don't see how that makes sense. If anything Series S will b selling extremely well because of it's smaller price. The majority of gamers aren't hardcore gamers looking for the best graphics. Mom and pops are going to buy the $299 Series S over the $499 one.

It makes sense because new consoles have always costed at least $499, taking inflation into consideration. My point is that it just isn't a exorbitant amount of money to ask for a next-gen console. Everybody expected Series X to be at least $599, for Series S to make sense.

A $299 console is great for those on a tight budget, but I see it holding Series X back. Same way One S crippled One X.

I hope I'm wrong, because I would LOVE to see Xbox thrive again. I plan on buying a Series X down the line if the exclusives are worth it.

Rossco EZ

how long before they put pre orders up now that prices have been revealed? i’m at work constantly checking so i don’t miss out :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just looked at Xbox Ultimate pricing, you can get it for less than 10 bucks a month. So $299 flat and $10 a month gets you a potent console and dozens of good games. Pretty good value proposition.
Yep. And with Ultimate you of course get Gold/GwG, Game Pass PC, and xCloud. That's an undeniably affordable and versatile package. Hopefully this SoC is cheap and easy to make so there can be a shitload of consoles available.

So which one is the stronger console ? The xbox one x or the xbox series s ?
For current-gen games the X1X and XSS are about even for GPU(~RX 580), but for next-gen the XSS has RDNA 2 feature set so RT, VRS, etc. Additionally, the XSS has essentially the same Zen 2 CPU as the XSX and PS5 along with a high-speed SSD. With a 1080p target resolution the XSS is going to perform much better while the X1X Jag bottlenecks. I'm curious to see how they'll approach BC. Will the XSS be profiled to play RDR 2 in 4K like X1X?

Last edited:
I'm not too optimistic about the future of the cheaper model; I've got a feeling that it will eventually fade away when the inevitable Series X ''Pro'' will be announced during the next generation.

ancelotti

$499 and $599 is my prediction. A price matched and a premium system is a very good message for them going forward.

pesaddict

Banned
Sorry I'm a bit thick whats that in u.k moneys lol $499 equates to £381 pounds according to google cant be that cheap for Series X !?!?!

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony will go broke in 2 years at that price. Microsoft will push these boxes with GamePass subs. Phil has Satya Nadella by the short hairs. Satya will write a check for anything that gets him that sweet ARR.
Nadella isnt beholden to Spencer lol, especially when MS is still losing a lot of money on GamePass. At some point they will need to start selling it at its 'proper' price (if not even higher). Just giving it away on long-term deals, then hoping people stay when the price bumps up isn't a good strategy. Especially when selling hardware at a big loss.

Hezekiah

Banned
They just need to match and they are home free. It’s a Sony.
Why would they try and match a 4tf ffs? It's a budget 1080p machine with a smaller SSD. It's not competing at the same level.

I'm guessing $449 for the Digital PS5, which should mean a smallish loss.

DelireMan7

Ok I guess Sony will go for the same trend of really low cost for the digital console so it's official physical games will disappear with PS6/XSX 2.

Sad day for me

Top Bottom