• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

Traxtech

I wish the Series s didnt exist, now they'll work to the lowest common denominator which is this console, vs the PS5. Lovely

But i get it, for business purposes and majority don't care about that. Just like how the most used GPU in a pc according to steam is a 970 or a 1060

Raphael

I wish the Series s didnt exist, now they'll work to the lowest common denominator which is this console, vs the PS5. Lovely

But i get it, for business purposes and majority don't care about that. Just like how the most used GPU in a pc according to steam is a 970 or a 1060
Great move for ms but it might hold them back graphically. On the other hand it works for pc, one will play the same game in 4k 60fps high settings with a 2k€ pc and another will be fine with 1080p 30fps on med/high for 500€ so we will see.

ancelotti

$499 is a pretty stunning price. I wonder if Sony even has the ability to subsidize the hardware to that extent without putting the future of their company in jeopardy. I'm guessing they have to match $499 on the digital (or maybe some kind of digital pack in equivalent) and the disc based system comes up at something like $699 because they know they have enough fanboys in their back pocket for their existing inventory.

Damn its way cheaper than i was expecting and i was okay with a upto 699 price tag.... just wanna see more actual game footage but its a Day One buy, now with some snacks thrown in and a shiny new game with the money saved.

longdi

Banned
$499 is a pretty stunning price. I wonder if Sony even has the ability to subsidize the hardware to that extent without putting the future of their company in jeopardy. I'm guessing they have to match $499 on the digital (or maybe some kind of digital pack in equivalent) and the disc based system comes up at something like $699 because they know they have enough fanboys in their back pocket for their existing inventory.

There is also game pass and the all-access financing plans.

MS has the best value + performance next gen systems.

Now we just need more consumers to bite at this value proposition! :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I really want to see S versus X gameplay now. Not getting the S, but I'm very curious to see just how big a gap we're talking about.

sinnergy

Damn its way cheaper than i was expecting and i was okay with a upto 699 price tag.... just wanna see more actual game footage but its a Day One buy, now with some snacks thrown in and a shiny new game with the money saved.
How? You won’t sell great with COVID , if they priced that high, it’s not rocket science. The world / market and spendable income has changed greatly in the past 6 months .

Last edited:

And why do you think the PS5 costs more to manufacture than Series X? Because reasons? And why do you think Xbox has more ability to subsidize the hardware than Playstation? Xbox has their own pot of money to play with that the Microsoft 'parent' company allocates to them.

Last edited:

sinnergy

And why do you think the PS5 costs more to manufacture than Series X? Because reasons?
Because they opted to run hot . And include Ssd technology that’s more expensive. So there is a real change they need to sell more expensive or take a bigger loss.

Keep in mind these machines are made and thought up before the restrictions of COVID.

Because they opted to run hot . And include Ssd technology that’s more expensive. So there is a real change they need to sell more expensive or take a bigger loss.

Keep in mind these machines are made and thought up before the restrictions of COVID.

And how do you know that all of that in totality works out as more than Xbox's larger APU or greater bandwidth RAM? You don't know.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's a great little box for the price. Design elements are understandably stark. It clearly signals it's not the X1S or SAD. It was never going to look like that nifty half-sized XSX, so go back to your GameCube and be thankful for what you have.

This is aimed at the same crowd as X1S. Your Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox crowd of little zoomers. Some people just wanting an affordable secondary console, and Game Pass users.
XqqpBYNj8Potxv2OGwRArKMUDzgr9GVw-Dt1jbForjQ.gif

Last edited:
How? You won’t sell great with COVID , if they priced that high, it’s not rocket science. The world / market and spendable income has changed greatly in the past 6 months .
How? well just look at the specs and previous prices on the older consoles... i never thought it would be $699 just i was ready for if it was, yes COVID is here and ppl are struggling or trying to be better/smarter with money.

I'm getting flashbacks of 8GB GDDR5 discussions from 2012. People having no clue about bills of materials or the costs of R&D and pulling price numbers based on literally nothing.

geordiemp

True , but the layout of the Xbox is more traditional, so you can make a educated guess.

Whats traditional about XSX for a console, its designed as a server for running 4 Xbox games, you can see that in the design with 4 larger shader arrays than ps5 or PC RDNA2.

If it ws traditional PC RDNA2 it would have 6 shader arrays, not 4 to match its server purpose of running 4 Xb1s games..

And how do you know the parts are cheaper / more expensive - you dont.

Still, good pricing from MS.

Last edited:

ancelotti

And why do you think the PS5 costs more to manufacture than Series X? Because reasons? And why do you think Xbox has more ability to subsidize the hardware than Playstation? Xbox has their own pot of money to play with that the Microsoft 'parent' company allocates to them.

I think they're roughly the same, although probably more expensive on the Sony side because of some of the components and Microsoft's far greater buying power. It also wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft uses those same components in their Azure platform (which is vastly more important than the console business).

Microsoft has one of the strongest balance sheets in the world. There is no imaginary pot of money, they can decide to increase or decrease their budget basically on a whim. They are simply in a different class as Sony, which has spent the past decade selling off assets in order to prop up their core businesses. Sony Corp. is a basket case, and there is a non-zero risk of them exiting the console business if they screw it up.

Now, personally I think the PS5 will be very successful and they'll be fine, but make no mistake about how these companies are almost on the opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to financial health.

edit: typos

Last edited:

acm2000

in theory having a £300/£500 2 console launch makes perfect sense, 1080p/4k models, Series S being for the kids rooms etc where they wont likely have 4k tvs anyway.

In practice, it all comes down to how easy MS can make it for developers to target both models with as little work as possible, if MS can make that process easy than its win win.

Theres no reason series s would hold back series x since they are all just pcs and you can ramp things up to the max.

Zato

Banned
500 is not going to sell very well, 300 for a box with a weaker gpu than a PS4 pro.

I don’t see the value in a next Gen machine weaker than last Gen?

think they're roughly the same, although probably more expensive on the Sony side because of some of the components and Microsoft's far greater buying power. It also wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft uses those same components in their Azure platform (which is vastly more important than the console business).

Microsoft has one of the strongest balance sheets in the world. There is no imaginary pot of money, they can decide to increase or decrease their budget basically on a whim. They are simply in a different class as Sony, which has spent the past decade selling off assets in order to prop up their core businesses. Sony Corp. is a basket case, and there is a non-zero risk of them exiting the console business if they screw it up.

Now, personally I think the PS5 will be very successful and they'll be fine, but make no mistake about how these companies are almost on the opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to financial health.

edit: typos

DampCleverAmericankestrel-small.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe explain WHY you're confused so I can elaborate? I don't think I'm unclear.

Though maybe you just want to post a funny GIF, which is fine as well.
You said Series S is DOA if Series X and PS5 are $499. I don't see how that makes sense. If anything Series S will b selling extremely well because of it's smaller price. The majority of gamers aren't hardcore gamers looking for the best graphics. Mom and pops are going to buy the $299 Series S over the $499 one.

Zato

Banned
My prediction is $399 digital PS5 and $499 full PS5.

Sony can match Xbox's price and still feel like they can sell more.

Except really the only lingering question is whether or not Sony's machine somehow costs that much more than the XSX or if Microsoft is actually selling that thing at an enormous loss.

429.99 PS5 Disc 399 digital

No way does full PS5 cost the same as XsX, will be cheaper.

meech

Series S is a really bad deal if the Ps5 Digital Edition really costs 400 dollar/Euro. For 100 dollar more you get double the performance and the exclusives from Sony. Who should buy this crap?

A 4 TF shitbox ? Come on man .. it’s a box for casuals ..
It’s not different from mid end telephones etc ..

It is a con job though. This isnt a situation like PS3 60gb vs 20gb storage and minor differences causing a pricing tier of console trims. No no, this is releasing a last gen refresh and advertising as "next gen".

1/3 the GPU power at 4 tflops vs 12, about half usable RAM 7.5 GB vs 13.5 as the Series X.

Why are gamers acting like this is a leap forward from the previous generation?

Actual gamers are worried as many developers will just code for lowest denominator, which will be Series S/Xbox one X.

This and gamepass is a big con job on us folks that consume video games

Ozzie666

Seems like Microsoft did the math and is willing to take a loss and dip into their services profits. Of course, they could end up getting the losses back and so much more. I hope Sony uses the same approach and sells hardware at a loss, but I think after previous gen, they wont go to crazy.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
500 is not going to sell very well, 300 for a box with a weaker gpu than a PS4 pro.

I don’t see the value in a next Gen machine weaker than last Gen?

Then you don't understand all the other technology improvements it brings. Overall its a more powerfull machine than a ps4 pro and it loads games almost instantly.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It is a con job though. This isnt a situation like PS3 60gb vs 20gb storage and minor differences causing a pricing tier of console trims. No no, this is releasing a last gen refresh and advertising as "next gen".

1/3 the GPU power at 4 tflops vs 12, about half usable RAM 7.5 GB vs 13.5 as the Series X.

Why are gamers acting like this is a leap forward from the previous generation?

Actual gamers are worried as many developers will just code for lowest denominator, which will be Series S/Xbox one X.

This and gamepass is a big con job on us folks that consume video games

Consider waiting until you see the actual output of the device. And you clearly don't understand the technology if you think its a rebrand of this generations harware, since clearly it is not. (Cpu, ssd, ray tracing, etc all upgrades over last gen)

Top Bottom