• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

longdi

Banned
Full retail price of XSS + 24 months of GPU is $299 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $25 is only $600 ($59 cheaper).
Full retail price of XSX + 24 months of GPU is $499 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $35 is only $840 ($19 cheaper).

It's a rare day when you can finance something for 24 months and save money. Great offer! (I assume MS takes a hit on GPU in order to hide the finance companies interest).

insane value. I wonder how Sony can even match this. /sure sure first party something something... :messenger_pensive:

come let us 'pay' you to buy our new Xbox Series consoles.

This will be bigly!

Last edited:

isual

ok. i already have ultimate until 2023; do i get all access too for the 35/month financing? does it require a hard credit check?

longdi

Banned
ok. i already have ultimate until 2023; do i get all access too for the 35/month financing? does it require a hard credit check?

Yes i wonder if all access stacks on top of existing GPU?

GPU = PC gaming too! :lollipop_thescream:

PC, Xbox, the way to go for third party games.

nosseman

Why are doing the exact same calculation ?

Like I said
Serie S $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x25-300) = 300$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $60 OFF
Serie X $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x35-500) = 340$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $20 OFF

My point is why that Gamepass part of the financing is more expensive on XSX?

On the Series S they probably count on getting more money from digital sales. 1-2 games Digital on Series S probably evens out the difference.

On Series X you can get cheap physical copies.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Oh that I expected. I was talking about Ps2/3 emulation which is out the window so I'm just going to roll with all digital because since COVID started getting games in my area introduced how convenient DD is for me.
Hell i hope that ubisoft thing was false. I mean come on, we have proper Ps1 and 2 emulation, just as it to the dam console

turtlepowa

Banned
Alternative theory: Microsoft waited till they get wind of Sony’s pricing, and now they have it. This is Microsofts reaction to the PS5 - PS5DE at $499 with the disc version for $599.
Alternative theory: This is a planned leak to lure Sony and Microsoft can even go lower.

longdi

Banned
core gamers think gamers will buy an exclusive console to play exclusives games
maybe true for the first 10m buyers

but most will prefer an affordable console and see what kind of games it plays.
with multiplatforms everywhere these days, they are not losing much.

all access will bring up Xbox sales volume, objective is to push GPU subscription levels towards Netflix! :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

yurinka

Prices and date looks good. I thought Series S would be more expensive. Seems that with Series S they decided to go with a PS5-like cooler design.

delonghi-evaporative-cooler-ev250-main.png

Very good point, if Sony had gone $599 and they went $499 too early they would have left money on the table. I think you're 100% correct.
I bet both Sony and MS already had their own pricing set since while ago and weren't able to change it. I bet PS5 price will be $499 for the normal and $449 for the PS5DE.

Last edited:
Sony was doing 399.99 no matter what. This generation showed people are willing to pay more the ps4 has yet to hit the old magic 199.99. Thing is crazy expensive for a 7 year old console 299.99 msrp. Sony could price 100 dollars more and still get 70% market share.

That attitude is part of what led to the unmitigated disaster that was the PS3 launch (which they turned around by lowering the price). And the PS3 was coming off of back of PS2, which is the most successful console of all time. As I said, historical data seems to suggest that mass market in general are not willing to pay more than $400-450 for a home console at launch, and launch price is extremely important in building up the initial install base, which creates a snowball effect. If you want it to be successful from the get to and in the long run, that is the value proposition you want to launch with.

Just look at the inflation adjusted launch prices of the most successful consoles:
NES: $428
SNES: $414
Genesis: $393
PS2: $448
360: $395
Wii: $320
PS4: $441
Switch: $316

The only console that breaks this trend is actually the PS1, which launched at around $500 today's price. But most successful consoles are lower. Sony knows this. Would the PS5 be successful and outsell Xbox at $500? Most likely. But if Sony want to completely dominate the market and leave consumers with no hesitation, then they launch at the sweet spot and undercut the Xbox at the same time. That's my opinion.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That attitude is part of what led to the unmitigated disaster that was the PS3 launch (which they turned around by lowering the price).
The only problem with your take on that is that even at USD$599 the PS3 outsold the 360 when it released. The "Great PS3 Turnaround" never actually happened, it came out and outsold the 360 from day 1, and continued to catch it every year after.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont understand why so many of you have said $399 for the ps5 digital, there is almost zero chance sony wants to lose money at this price.

99% chance they will match with $499, very small chance they sell digital for $449.

Most likely $549 and $499 - which is already pretty good considering the tech.

If I'm wrong ill celebrate and save money with the rest of you.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Like I said months ago . Series S between 250 and 300, everyone with half a brain saw this coming even Sony , So I bet they are also around these prices.

All Access incl. Gamepass@$180
XSX@$35 per month, 24 payments in total = $840 - $180 = $660 for the console. If the retail price is $399, that´s an +65% increase.
If the retail price is $499, that´s an +32% increase.

Financing has costs. Mainly risk. Also value of money over time. Also processing and servicing the loan. It's fair for what it is. Folks who can afford it outright will pay outright.

TBiddy

Solid pricing, although I had hoped the S to be a bit cheaper. The design on the S is definitely something, but until I see official renders, I'm not settling on an opinion.

Mister Wolf

Where did you even get the Scorn being a launch title bullshit? They have always said its a "launch window game"(2021) and refused to give a proper date.

Your turn.

Last edited:
I fear this could be game over for the competition if $299 and $499 are real price points for next gen xbox. Microsoft is going to steam roll over the competition.

If it has all the third party support at a cheaper price, this shouldn't matter, right? PS2 already proved this 2005 and beyond.

I don't know what 'worst position' means. Xbox One is already more popular/sold more consoles than other consoles in the past (Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, likely Super Nintendo, etc).

If Xbox's position is at it's worst in 2019, not sure how much better it would be in 2020.

It was objectively cheaper than the One S disc version and would have been cheaper than the retail Series S, but going off your previous post:

You just made an argument to buy a PS4 which aims for 1080p and will play almost all of the third party games the Series S will have for the first two years (at the same or cheaper price)

The XBox One was and still getting decimated by the PS4. That’s what I meant by undesirable position. Yes, XBOne sold better than some of the previous consoles to my knowledge, but it must of not been satisfactory for Microsoft if they resorted to hiding their monthly sales figures for years. Even Nintendo with their newer Switch eventually passed Microsoft’s numbers, so Microsoft probably felt discouraged or even embarrassed.

I was stating why the digital XBOX failed. Most casuals want to primarily play third party games, but they also want the most for their money. That’s one reason the PS4 outsold the XBOne. Cheaper and most of the same games. Technically, the digital One S was the cheapest, but acquiring an One S for around the same price as a digital version wasn’t too difficult at all. Again, there weren’t any noteworthy advantages in buying the digital edition over the One S even for casual gamers.

Maybe my memory is foggy, but when did I make an argument to buy a PS4 which plays all the same games as the Series S for the first two years? I was saying both next generation consoles will most likely have a similar library of games. If Sony went with a higher price for PS5 over the more powerful XSX, that could be detrimental to Sony’s momentum.

Last edited:
At this point I'm just ecstatic it's not $599+

I paid $500 for the base Xbox One so I cannot really complain about the value of a $500 Series X.

Just put up the damn pre-orders already

Exactly for $499 Series X is offering way higher value for money than Xbox One 2013 ever did. Open the pre orders and show your might against the competition MS!

Codes 208

I fear this could be game over for the competition if $299 and $499 are real price points for next gen xbox. Microsoft is going to steam roll over the competition.
No it won’t. The xbox one has frequently been cheaper than the PS4 and they didn’t steamroll shit.
The USA is not the world.

Having said that, that shows that there was no great turnaround like I said as well.
when you include the international sales the two were essentially neck and neck. And when you consider that the xbox brand was next to non-existent outside of the americas and the UK, I would have to say the 360 sold pretty damn good.

Top Bottom