• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

Explain the Xbox One S All Digital Edition.

Microsoft released the XBOX S.A.D. Edition so late in the XBOX’s life when the console was in it’s worst position. It’s an all digital console which for many is problematic in itself and the price wasn’t so desirable either. The primary problem was, why purchase the Xbox digital edition when you can procure the XBox One S for around the same price and still have access to a disc drive?

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
All Access incl. Gamepass@$180
XSX@$35 per month, 24 payments in total = $840 - $180 = $660 for the console. If the retail price is $399, that´s an +65% increase.
If the retail price is $499, that´s an +32% increase.

2 years of Ultimate is $360 ?

youareright.twoyears
840-360=$480 (+20%)

If not mistaken, the console never changes ownership. It´s more like a leasing deal iirc.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Scorn
The Medium
Crossfire X
Every Xbox One game, many with higher framerates and resolution
Tons of Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games
Scorn is 2021. Its actually

The Medium
Exo One
The Ascent
Tetris Effect: Connected
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Falconeer
Call of the Sea
The Artful Escape
12 Minutes
CrossfireX

The first two are only coming to Series X.

DaGwaphics

Serie S $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x25-300) = 300$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
Serie X $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x35-500) = 340$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

So Serie X Gamepass is more expensive than Serie S.

Full retail price of XSS + 24 months of GPU is $299 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $25 is only $600 ($59 cheaper).
Full retail price of XSX + 24 months of GPU is $499 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $35 is only $840 ($19 cheaper).

It's a rare day when you can finance something for 24 months and save money. Great offer! (I assume MS takes a hit on GPU in order to hide the finance companies interest).

Last edited:
Microsoft released the XBOX S.A.D. Edition so late in the XBOX’s life when the console was in it’s worst position.

If it has all the third party support at a cheaper price, this shouldn't matter, right? PS2 already proved this 2005 and beyond.

I don't know what 'worst position' means. Xbox One is already more popular/sold more consoles than other consoles in the past (Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, likely Super Nintendo, etc).

If Xbox's position is at it's worst in 2019, not sure how much better it would be in 2020.

The primary problem was, why purchase the Xbox digital edition when you can procure the XBox One S for around the same price and still have access to a disc drive?

It was objectively cheaper than the One S disc version and would have been cheaper than the retail Series S, but going off your previous post:

That’s true, but when you have 90% of the same games as your competitor, I’m not sure if that’s a good idea especially if they plan on selling a lot of PS5’s. Exclusives do definitely help, but the majority of casuals care mostly about third party games Microsoft having them available at a cheaper price could be pretty dangerous for Sony.

You just made an argument to buy a PS4 which aims for 1080p and will play almost all of the third party games the Series S will have for the first two years (at the same or cheaper price)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Full retail price of XSS + 24 months of GPU is $299 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $25 is only $600 ($59 cheaper).
Full retail price of XSX + 24 months of GPU is $499 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $25 is only $600 ($19 cheaper).

It's a rare day when you can finance something for 24 months and save money. Great offer! (I assume MS takes a hit on GPU in order to hide the finance companies interest).

Microsoft is still in acquisition mode for Gamepass it seems. They did give away up to three years for $1. This is a great marketing gimmick as it appears you save money by financing and that certainly doesn't hurt in these COVID times.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
449 Ps5
399 Ps5 Discless
tenor.gif

RayHell

Full retail price of XSX + 24 months of GPU is $499 + $360 / The 24/mo option at $35 is only $840 ($19 cheaper).

Why are doing the exact same calculation ?

Like I said
Serie S $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x25-300) = 300$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $60 OFF
Serie X $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x35-500) = 340$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $20 OFF

My point is why that Gamepass part of the financing is more expensive on XSX?

Last edited:
There's a rumor MS is adding something to Game Pass. What could that be? A movie or music streaming service? What else could they add to it? Maybe that's why they're calling it "all access"?

All Access is their credit based console leasing program. You pay like 30-35 bucks a month to pay off the console and its financed lol

I REALLY Think Microsoft could throw a super counter punch if they made Xbox Live Gold Free(They won't it makes tons of cash) and charge for access to the gamepass library tho.

Thinking 399 digital
And 499 disc
Reason they can go 399 digital is because there is no middle man taking a cut of their game profits like walmart, gamestop etc. They get all the money from purchases on the store, meaning they can have a lower digital price and make it up in software. Sony this gen alone sold more software then ms and nintendo combined.
Great point never even thought of that.

DaGwaphics

Like I said
Serie S $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x25-300) = 300$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $60 OFF
Serie X $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option (24x35-500) = 340$ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $20 OFF

My point is why that Gamepass part of the financing is more expensive on XSX.

MS probably just doesn't want to eat as much on the disked based system, plus they probably liked the $25 and $35 price points. I wonder if they will keep 1S available in all access as well (maybe $20/mo.) or if they drop that to really push next-gen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Watch the PS5 come in at $449.99 and PS5 DE at $399.99. It's_happening.gif

I believe.
Why? Honestly besides warrior point scoring. What reason in the world would Sony have to under cut with ever advantage and mindshare. They sell out either way so what is the point pissing money away. It be like Toyota undercutting Kia no reason.

Great point never even thought of that.
It is not digital foundry did an article Sony makes 8 more dollars per title on the digital store. So Sony would need to sell 7 games to a person to get a head on the extra 50 dollars think about that. That is years for most people or even a whole generation.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Why? Honestly besides warrior point scoring. What reason in the world would Sony have to under cut with ever advantage and mindshare. They sell out either way so what is the point pissing money away. It be like Toyota undercutting Kia no reason.

:p

FWIW (probably very little to Joe Consumer), Sony is offering less powerful hardware.

jigglet

Banned
I'm shocked they went with $499. That's aggressive. Why wait all this time for Sony if you're going to go that low anyway? The only reason for waiting this long was if you wanted to price $599 and wanted to wait for Sony to do the same so you wouldn't look as bad.

PS4 undercut the Xbox One by $100 when they could have easily gotten away with $50.

Everything we've heard so far points towards Sony being extremely aggressive towards dominating the market with the PS5, and the best way to do that is through pricing, especially when they have a perceived weaker console in their hands. Now they also have to contend with a lower priced Series S.

Not to mention, historical data shows that consoles priced between $400-$450 (or lower) generally find mass market success.

Blond

Banned
200.gif

The digital edition prob has backcompat with the digital games you have in your library if any.

Oh that I expected. I was talking about Ps2/3 emulation which is out the window so I'm just going to roll with all digital because since COVID started getting games in my area introduced how convenient DD is for me because if you don't get in the first run you'r waiting a month easy, maybe longer, for a new one.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s an amazing price Series X and aslo Phill was talking about financing options and because of the pandemic and people’s financial situation, if they can push this globally then that’s very smart.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm shocked they went with $499. That's aggressive. Why wait all this time for Sony if you're going to go that low anyway? The only reason for waiting this long was if you wanted to price $599 and wanted to wait for Sony to do the same so you wouldn't look as bad.
So you're saying Sony looks bad for not going first?

ZehDon

Alternative theory: Microsoft waited till they get wind of Sony’s pricing, and now they have it. This is Microsofts reaction to the PS5 - PS5DE at $499 with the disc version for $599.

Like I said

Makes you wonder if the console will be $249
That would make it $10 and $20 off.
Way more reasonable.

jigglet

Banned
Alternative theory: Microsoft waited till they get wind of Sony’s pricing, and now they have it. This is Microsofts reaction to the PS5 - PS5DE at $499 with the disc version for $599.

Very good point, if Sony had gone $599 and they went $499 too early they would have left money on the table. I think you're 100% correct.

BlackGauna

If this is true it is a really good price. I would have expected a higher price.

But why is the game pass more expensive for Series X? Isn't it the same thing?

quest

Not Banned from OT
PS4 undercut the Xbox One by $100 when they could have easily gotten away with $50.

Everything we've heard so far points towards Sony being extremely aggressive towards dominating the market with the PS5, and the best way to do that is through pricing, especially when they have a perceived weaker console in their hands. Now they also have to contend with a lower priced Series S.

Not to mention, historical data shows that consoles priced between $400-$450 (or lower) generally find mass market success.
Sony was doing 399.99 no matter what. This generation showed people are willing to pay more the ps4 has yet to hit the old magic 199.99. Thing is crazy expensive for a 7 year old console 299.99 msrp. Sony could price 100 dollars more and still get 70% market share.
So you're saying Sony looks bad for not going first?
I am they are the dominant market leader. They have all the mindshare. They should set the market price but did not have the stones to do it. I would say it is cowardly to be afraid of negative press from a high price and let Microsoft eat it all.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Like I said

More like Microsoft is giving a bigger discount to people buying Series S with All Access?

The Series X price is pretty close - it comes out to $14.17 a month (vs retail price of $14.99). With the Series S it's just $12.50 (of your $25 payment) a month for two years.

MrFunSocks

Banned
so when sony announce $599 they can follow it straight up with $499 AND more powerful.

Rodolink

dafuq, out of the blue just like that in the worst day of the week, price announcement and S reveal. damn what is this?

Top Bottom