• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

NullZ3r0

Banned
Competitive price especially when a lot of people (including me) have been seriously considering the GTX 3XX series upgrade instead of a console. I just don't have the means to have two consoles and a PC at this time. It'll probably be a console + PC.

Side note: Can anyone explain the logic in the posts where people think there will be a $100 or more difference between the PS5 and the PS5 DE?
Hope. A more likely price is $549 and $499. The PS5 disc version is actually a different design. Its not the same case with a disc slot in it. It even requires a different base.

I wouldn't be surprised if the disc edition is limited quantities...by a lot.

tusharngf

giphy.gif

$299 series S

thats dope

semicool

Banned
Competitive price especially when a lot of people (including me) have been seriously considering the GTX 3XX series upgrade instead of a console. I just don't have the means to have two consoles and a PC at this time. It'll probably be a console + PC.

Side note: Can anyone explain the logic in the posts where people think there will be a $100 or more difference between the PS5 and the PS5 DE?
I think they believe a Blu Ray drive (which Sony owns) is gonna cost them $100.

Jk, I don't believe it'll be that big either , BR probably costs Sony like 15 dollars. However, that being said, Sony would make up for taking a hardware loss where no one with that system can buy used games...so maybe, just maybe they can take make up for the loss? IDK 🤔

Shambala

Sony will go broke in 2 years at that price. Microsoft will push these boxes with GamePass subs. Phil has Satya Nadella by the short hairs. Satya will write a check for anything that gets him that sweet ARR.
Yea broke with all those billions they make from digital and subscription sales 😂

Blond

Banned
I wish that was true, but it's probably going to be 599 & 499 :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Yeah true unless they're willing to eat more of the cost I seriously doubt that it's anything less than 499 for the all digital and 599 for the player. I was willing to buy into the idea 399/499 originally then the moment news of the dual sense came out in terms of internals making it a 70/80 in terms of resell value all that went out the window.

The ps4 and x1 we're profitable a few months after launch, a rarity for a console generation. No way they're willing to eat cost for years at a time again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn that list thinned out at record pace
Well neither has laid out their list of launch titles officially - these are just the few we know of so far that the developers themselves have mentioned are launch titles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am worried about this gen pricing.Series X price isn't that special as many point it to be given the small launch line up and lack of gameplay. Series S is a mystery still. I mean 299 for a console that is a slight upgrade from the Xbox One X?
This will sure leave room for Sony. They can go with a 399/499 pricing and still win next gen launch. If they want to be aggressive I can't see how 349/449 combo could be a problem for them.
Taking a 150 dollar plus loss not a problem? The BOM is 450-550 plus shipping and retail cut. Why would the undisputed market leader with super mindshare need to under cut anyone with limited supply lol.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Is this the first time in console history where a date and price have been set for a console and they havent shown games running on it yet?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Thinking 399 digital
And 499 disc
Reason they can go 399 digital is because there is no middle man taking a cut of their game profits like walmart, gamestop etc. They get all the money from purchases on the store, meaning they can have a lower digital price and make it up in software. Sony this gen alone sold more software then ms and nintendo combined.

Yep. Considering there's no real backwards compatibility I'm just going to hold onto my PS4 and get the all digital for convenience sakes.

I don't think Sony will do $449/$349 but I'd love to see it happen.

As it is $500 for that beast of an XBox is a great price. Almost makes me want to grab one day one. Good job MS.

Last edited:
Because they can mindshare. Why can Toyota charge more than Kia?

That’s true, but when you have 90% of the same games as your competitor, I’m not sure if that’s a good idea especially if they plan on selling a lot of PS5’s. Exclusives do definitely help, but the majority of casuals care mostly about third party games Microsoft having them available at a cheaper price could be pretty dangerous for Sony.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Definitely a great price for the Series X, with the technology inside. Wonder what Sony will do. I’m guessing $499 regular $449 digital. If they’re smart it won’t be a penny more than that, and I don’t see it being less.

longdi

Banned
Hope. A more likely price is $549 and $499. The PS5 disc version is actually a different design. Its not the same case with a disc slot in it. It even requires a different base.

I wouldn't be surprised if the disc edition is limited quantities...by a lot.

Yes, those in manufacturing, will know that PS5DE does not make financial sense as the other half a new product launch.

Im still in PS5 will be in the 499-599 range.

It is so strange Sony has been silent on the final hardware

That’s true, but when you have 90% of the same games as your competitor, I’m not sure if that’s a good idea especially if they plan on selling a lot of PS5’s. Exclusives do definitely help, but the majority of casuals care mostly about third party games Microsoft having them available at a cheaper price could be pretty dangerous for Sony.

Explain the Xbox One S All Digital Edition.

For those who would rather finance and get gamepass, this is like a no brainier deal for cheapest jump into next gen console gaming. I started thinking MS was playing checkers, but it seems they were playing chess all along. Congrats to you all who are purchasing. Hopefully Sony releases some news soon. It's gonna be interesting watching this from the sidelines.

Blond

Banned
I don’t know. That SSD is kind of a premium component.

The console is only something like 450 to build with a 4k drive and there's already nvme SSDs that are launching that are faster than what's in the PS5 so I expect the cost for that to start coming down.

The only way they're launching at 399/499 is if they're willing to eat cost and that's a judgement call on their part.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Explain the Xbox One S All Digital Edition.
I'm sure the fact that it came out in the 11th hour of the current generation, wasn't advertised much by Microsoft, stores had limited stock, and the naming made people confused about not being able to play discs - those things had nothing to do with it.

post-S

Taking a 150 dollar plus loss not a problem? The BOM is 450-550 plus shipping and retail cut. Why would the undisputed market leader with super mindshare need to under cut anyone with limited supply lol.
They could limit the production volume of digital edition to be 1/10 of of disc version during the 1 st year. They get the PR and the enthusiasts gonna grab any SKU on the shelf anyway.

jshackles

How does MS price the Xbox One and One X, now?
Xbox One S (MSRP) $299.99
Xbox One X (MSRP) $499.99

So directly compatible prices.

EDIT: oh I thought you meant "now" as in "right now"

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The console is only something like 450 to build with a 4k drive and there's already nvme SSDs that are launching that are faster than what's in the PS5 so I expect the cost for that to start coming down.

The only way they're launching at 399/499 is if they're willing to eat cost and that's a judgement call on their part.
I don’t think they ever planned on launching at anything less than $499, the question is, would Microsoft launch at $599 and shoot themselves in the foot? They clearly haven’t done that here, and are playing it relatively smart. Sony’s move can’t be anything higher than $499, and it won’t be. Not just because of the Series X price but because of the market (and their past experiences, obviously).

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Sony seems to have more third party licnesing deals meaning more marketing and exclusive content =
more gamers going to said platform to get those deals

bender

What time is it?
Yes, those in manufacturing, will know that PS5DE does not make financial sense as the other half a new product launch.

Im still in PS5 will be in the 499-599 range.

It is so strange Sony has been silent on the final hardware

The decision is certainly reactionary but it will be interesting to see if the DE is used to undercut the competition or have an offering that falls in line.

jshackles

I could see the One S (the last SKU from this gen that they're still producing) being put at $199.99 for the inevitable Black Friday blowout of $149.99 right before they announce they'll stop making them.

I'm sure the fact that it came out in the 11th hour of the current generation

Right because casuals don't buy consoles late in the life cycle.

See all those hardcore gamers that bought PS2's 2006+ and made it highest selling home console ever.

Wasn't advertised much by Microsoft, stores had limited stock

Anecdotal and your personal opinion since it was advertised fine and readily available before it was discontinued.

and the naming made people confused about not being able to play discs

If having 'All Digital Edition' in the name and the package is so confusing, what makes 'Series S' so much clearer?

Last edited:
There's a rumor MS is adding something to Game Pass. What could that be? A movie or music streaming service? What else could they add to it? Maybe that's why they're calling it "all access"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom