• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Metal Gear is getting a Classic Collection that comprises MGS1, 2, and 3.

Luigi Mario

It’s still surreal to me that Konami is investing into their most well-known franchises again. Unimaginable just a few years ago.

Shifty1897

I'm sure 4 would be a mess to port to modern systems. The installs before every chapter, the native PS3 code, the fact that it ran super poorly on PS3.

I'm confident in saying you'll never see 4 release again unless it's a full on remake, which, why would you, it's at the end of the timeline and people are mostly down on it these days.

Mr Hyde

I have this one …..

It contains
- Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 ,3 & 4
- Metal Gear 1 & 2
- Peace Walker
- VR Missions

I have this one.

Yours is much better. It features almost all games in the franchise. I always thought my collection was lacking. Goddamn it.

Gambit2483

It was made for that damned Cell processor and is full of Licensed stuff, damn Cerny! The one mistake he's made is that damned Cell
I'm trying to remember what licensed stuff they had in the game but the only thing I can remember is the ipod Snake had and maybe so of the songs. Can't they just call it "mp3 player" and edit out any liscened songs?

VulcanRaven

I'm sure 4 would be a mess to port to modern systems. The installs before every chapter, the native PS3 code, the fact that it ran super poorly on PS3.

I'm confident in saying you'll never see 4 release again unless it's a full on remake, which, why would you, it's at the end of the timeline and people are mostly down on it these days.
They later patched it so you can install the whole game. Bluepoint Games has ported PS3 games to PS4 so its possible.

Last edited:

Killer8

Why? Didn't Kojima do the cinematics?

It's already been mentioned how Koijima enlisted a movie director to handle the cutscenes. That guy ended up adding in all sorts of Matrix slow-motion garbage where it wasn't needed. We also got ridiculous larger than life shit like Snake surfing on a missile. The series had always had some level of excess, but Twin Snakes took it to ludicrous levels.

The emotional impact of several cutscenes was also destroyed. For example:
during Sniper Wolf's death, Twin Snakes makes Otacon trip up when he's bringing her the rifle. I guess it's meant to show how he's a pathetic nerd who is lolsogoofy, but the result is a far less dignified scene.
Another example is:
The hallway leading to the Cyborg Ninja battle. The original is genuinely creepy and mysterious, as the hallway is strewn with dead bodies making you question what on Earth could've done this? Twin Snakes on the other hand just decides to blatantly show it all (complete with kung fu and slow-motion). The build up to the ninja reveal was completely ruined.

In addition to that, there were gameplay problems caused by introducing MGS2 mechanics into MGS1 level design without any real consideration. Just by adding first person aiming, many sections become piss easy. The Revolver Ocelot boss battle for example can be beaten in under a minute in TTS:

Another major issue was that they decided to replace the whole soundtrack. Imagine removing this masterpiece from the game:

And imagine swapping the iconic alert theme for this:

Twin Snakes feels like all of the worst trends of the early 2000s rolled into a game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If so this makes MGS3 Remake pointless.
They should of done MGS1

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It was made for that damned Cell processor and is full of Licensed stuff, damn Cerny! The one mistake he's made is that damned Cell
Must be the Ipod

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Make sure you still keep your PS3's in good shape then seeing as 4 won't ever see the light of day on modern systems....I don't get the hate for MGS: Twin snakes, it was the first proper entry of the MGS franchise since the late 80s/90s on Nintendo's machine...at the time it was as good as getting Sons of Liberty on a Nintendo system... it looked a hell of a lot better than the blocky shaky polygons from 1998....it incorporated a control view from MGS 2....For presentation alone, I wouldn't swap it for the PSX version...ironically it was only last month that I purchased P.W....I would be interested in Portable Ops as I thought that was quite good when watching the playthrough of it...but I guess that is a long way off....I'm glad I brought the HD collection for the Xbox series X/One though....seeing after what's happened to them of late..

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

they're not going to do the Gamecube version. Too much work to take the Nintendo references out of the game. There's a few.

SCB3

I'm trying to remember what licensed stuff they had in the game but the only thing I can remember is the ipod Snake had and maybe so of the songs. Can't they just call it "mp3 player" and edit out any liscened songs?
The iPod, the PS3 stuff, the songs and the AC crossover off the top of my head, again this is assuming that Konami kept the code as well for it to be changed

RagnarokIV

Make sure you still keep your PS3's in good shape then seeing as 4 won't ever see the light of day on modern systems....I don't get the hate for MGS: Twin snakes, it was the first proper entry of the MGS franchise since the late 80s/90s on Nintendo's machine...at the time it was as good as getting Sons of Liberty on a Nintendo system... it looked a hell of a lot better than the blocky shaky polygons from 1998....it incorporated a control view from MGS 2....For presentation alone, I wouldn't swap it for the PSX version...ironically it was only last month that I purchased P.W....I would be interested in Portable Ops as I thought that was quite good when watching the playthrough of it...but I guess that is a long way off....I'm glad I brought the HD collection for the Xbox series X/One though....seeing after what's happened to them of late..
RPCS3 - I've recently played through the whole story a 60FPS 4K. I also play Metal Gear Online daily through it.

mcjmetroid

It's already been mentioned how Koijima enlisted a movie director to handle the cutscenes. That guy ended up adding in all sorts of Matrix slow-motion garbage where it wasn't needed. We also got ridiculous larger than life shit like Snake surfing on a missile. The series had always had some level of excess, but Twin Snakes took it to ludicrous levels.

The emotional impact of several cutscenes was also destroyed. For example:
during Sniper Wolf's death, Twin Snakes makes Otacon trip up when he's bringing her the rifle. I guess it's meant to show how he's a pathetic nerd who is lolsogoofy, but the result is a far less dignified scene.
Another example is:
The hallway leading to the Cyborg Ninja battle. The original is genuinely creepy and mysterious, as the hallway is strewn with dead bodies making you question what on Earth could've done this? Twin Snakes on the other hand just decides to blatantly show it all (complete with kung fu and slow-motion). The build up to the ninja reveal was completely ruined.

In addition to that, there were gameplay problems caused by introducing MGS2 mechanics into MGS1 level design without any real consideration. Just by adding first person aiming, many sections become piss easy. The Revolver Ocelot boss battle for example can be beaten in under a minute in TTS:

Another major issue was that they decided to replace the whole soundtrack. Imagine removing this masterpiece from the game:

And imagine swapping the iconic alert theme for this:

Twin Snakes feels like all of the worst trends of the early 2000s rolled into a game.

Not to mention that it's all mostly re-voiced with much less enthusiasm this time round killing a lot of the scenes. Also at that point David Hayter was way overdoing the snake voice.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If this is real and its the Twin Snakes version I will literally carry out a napalm bombing on a hospital for malnourished Ethiopian children.

Dont You Dare Maribeth Monroe GIF by CBS

RAIDEN1

RPCS3 - I've recently played through the whole story a 60FPS 4K. I also play Metal Gear Online daily through it.
Yeah well unless you got a turbo powered PC then it isn't easily available to everyone....but under the circumstances it will be as good as you'll get it...(ie a 60fps Metal Gear 4)

Mr Hyde

Ryuhei Kitamura.

Director of this classic gore schlock kung fu movie. It's as over the top as Twin Snakes was. It's his hallmark as a director.

waA0hLT.jpg

I don't hype for it. I've already played these games and MGS is not even my cup of tea. I just said I have the collection on PS3. Also, why are you assuming everyone owns the games and can play them through BC? Maybe there is a whole new generation of gamers who's never been able to play these games because they don't have an old PS3 or Xbox. Maybe think outside your narrow perspective?
You need therapy, better reading comprehension, and social skills. I stated why I didnt get the excitement, I was not accusing you of hyping anything. Assuming? I asked you was it playable on PS thru BC to maybe understand the excitement. Think outside my narrow perspective? I didnt make a statement im literally asking you a question based on your statement I replied to. Its called a conversation. Old PS3? Clearly the answer to my PS BC question is no. So instead of saying no and having a friendly conversation you rather be defensive and passive aggressive. People like you are why the gaming community is considered trash. Grow up and get help 🤡.

Last edited:
I hear peace walker is more or less required to understand the story of 5, is that correct?
An act of god probably won't help you understand the story of V, and even if you did I don't think there is much interesting there anyway.

That said Peace Walker is incredibly good and part of the reason V was so hyped - if Peace Walker was simply iterated on V could have been one of the best games ever. Instead, it took a step back in nearly every single way.

RAIDEN1

Talk about HUGE oversight but in that legacy collection if they included all the MGS games, that would have been perfect to also remake MGS1 instead of just dropping in the PSX port...

RAIDEN1

An act of god probably won't help you understand the story of V, and even if you did I don't think there is much interesting there anyway.

That said Peace Walker is incredibly good and part of the reason V was so hyped - if Peace Walker was simply iterated on V could have been one of the best games ever. Instead, it took a step back in nearly every single way.
I would have taken Peace Walker as the final entry full stop...even though I have never played it, from the footages I've seen over the years it looked a hell of a lot more immersive than 5 ever was....

Exede

Why all the hate for the GC MGS1? It was like super good! I played it on PS and GC but man i liked the later way better.

Cashon

Banned
I believe the issue with 4 is that it was originally built for the PS3 - and it took full advantage of its custom architecture. Because of how different the PS3 is from, say, the PS4 and Xbone, that makes porting MGS4 a pretty sizeable endeavour. Because it hasn't been done before (no Xbox 360 version to base off of) and how old the PS3 is, I'd wager we're more likely to see it officailly emulated on some future generation of PlayStation before we see a full port to another platform.

I'm still playing the OG on my PS Vita for this very reason.
I believe you're right. It's possibly the most PS3 game there is. Outside of the development specifics there are also other visual and audio references to it being a PS3 game. I know at least one codec conversation mentions the sixaxis controller.

It also has a lot of other licensed products in it, such as an iPod.

If they ever want the core experience of MGS4 on other platforms, they'll have to fully remake it, most like it.

Cashon

Banned
Why all the hate for the GC MGS1? It was like super good! I played it on PS and GC but man i liked the later way better.
Purists.

The voicework is different and the added cutscenes in Twin Snakes are clearly heavily inspired by The Matrix. I think purists turn their noses up at these changes. They also seem to think that the first-person mode breaks the game, but I think it makes it much better.

bender

What time is it?

The new camera system broke a lot of the game's difficulty. I wasn't a fan of the cutscene changes but it's easy to see someone falling on the other side of the coin for that debate.

I think even Kojima said that Peacewalker was essentially MGS5 or that he wanted to call it that. And yeah aside from the physics, fox engine, new type of 3rd person control (which was amazing) MGSV is actually content-wise inferior to Peacewalker. I wouldn't say the story is really that confusing though, I mean it makes sense in the end at least but of course we didn't get the intended ending for the game, which is really unfortunate. Loved the game when it came out but I will never play through it again.

4 must be in some sort of licensing hell
No. It's being known now that there was never any exclusivity on Playstation. Supposedly the port from PS3 to anything else would be very difficult.
I have this one …..

It contains
- Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 ,3 & 4
- Metal Gear 1 & 2
- Peace Walker
- VR Missions
Yes I have that too. that was an incredible value back then. If you have a PS3 it's still worth it.

I would have taken Peace Walker as the final entry full stop...even though I have never played it, from the footages I've seen over the years it looked a hell of a lot more immersive than 5 ever was....
The amount of details that went into the guns alone is insane for a portable title. Guns actually use correct ammo, have different ballistics, etc. Way ahead of V, which is all fake guns with little to no effort put into them. Hell I'm pretty sure there is an automatic pistol in V that is referred to as a revolver lol

I think even Kojima said that Peacewalker was essentially MGS5 or that he wanted to call it that. And yeah aside from the physics, fox engine, new type of 3rd person control (which was amazing) MGSV is actually content-wise inferior to Peacewalker. I wouldn't say the story is really that confusing though, I mean it makes sense in the end at least but of course we didn't get the intended ending for the game, which is really unfortunate. Loved the game when it came out but I will never play through it again.
I am convinced that there are only 3 MGS titles (and the 2 MG) that Kojima actually wanted to work on for creative purposes, and Peace Walker is one of them. If you read interviews the game is structured like Monster Hunter because his son didn't like Metal Gear games but loved MH, and it's on a portable system because he was worried that parents won't let their kids play a "violent" game on their TVs, even though the whole theme of the game is anti-nuke and peace, and he wanted to expose the message of these themes to younger players.

93xfan

Banned
This seems a bit of a stretch. Which version of MGS1 will they use? PSX or GC? If they use the GC, the purists will lose their shit.
Not just purists. Twin Snakes ruined what made MGS1 so special. The action scenes were terrible and changed the narrative a lot. Snake is not Superman

Last edited:
The amount of details that went into the guns alone is insane for a portable title. Guns actually use correct ammo, have different ballistics, etc. Way ahead of V, which is all fake guns with little to no effort put into them. Hell I'm pretty sure there is an automatic pistol in V that is referred to as a revolver lol

I am convinced that there are only 3 MGS titles (and the 2 MG) that Kojima actually wanted to work on for creative purposes, and Peace Walker is one of them. If you read interviews the game is structured like Monster Hunter because his son didn't like Metal Gear games but loved MH, and it's on a portable system because he was worried that parents won't let their kids play a "violent" game on their TVs, even though the whole theme of the game is anti-nuke and peace, and he wanted to expose the message of these themes to younger players.
Yes, the MP mode especially was very Monster Hunter style. There is even a mission where you fight Rathalos. Loved the co-op missions in that game.

Mr Hyde

You need therapy, better reading comprehension, and social skills. I stated why I didnt get the excitement, I was not accusing you of hyping anything. Assuming? I asked you was it playable on PS thru BC to maybe understand the excitement. Think outside my narrow perspective? I didnt make a statement im literally asking you a question based on your statement I replied to. Its called a conversation. Old PS3? Clearly the answer to my PS BC question is no. So instead of saying no and having a friendly conversation you rather be defensive and passive aggressive. People like you are why the gaming community is considered trash. Grow up and get help 🤡.

Damn, didn't expect you to rip me a new asshole 😄 Didn't mean to upset you but your whole post sounded like "I have all the MGS-games through BC, so what's the big deal?" I mean, there are a lot of people out there who aren't familiar with the franchise so I guess a collection makes sense. I don't think the games are available either through subscription such as PS Plus or Game Pass. And the hype? I guess people just love MGS, no whatter what shape or form they come in. I'm sorry if I came off as an asshole. I have a tendency to do that. Godspeed 🙏

Spyxos

Gold Member
This seems a bit of a stretch. Which version of MGS1 will they use? PSX or GC? If they use the GC, the purists will lose their shit.
Fuck i hope it will be the Gc Version. I never liked the psx version. It wasn't until Twin Snakes that I became a fan of this series.

Sub_Level

You’re entitled to like what you like. I hate that version because tonally it turns a serious story with ridiculous elements into a comical story with even more ridiculous elements. To say nothing of the gameplay imbalances, the music changes, the voice acting quality, and the fact that you had to use a Gamecube controller.

GameCube_controller.png

I mean what the fuck even is that

Banned
4 must be in some sort of licensing hell

no, it simply has a lot of PS3 based jokes in it and is designed for the system, while also being a pretty big title.

so porting wouldn't be easy, and they would not only need to port, but also remove or replace a lot of jokes and easterggs.

like you can change the controller port during the Mantis fight, and if you do that there's a whole codec call where they tell you that this isn't MGS1, and that this doesn't work here.

or as you go down the stairs in Shadow Moses, where on PS1 there was a disc change, Otacon will call you and tell you to switch discs, until he remembers that you're playing on a PS3 which uses Blu-ray technology 🤣

there are other smaller and bigger things with PlayStation eastereggs and PS3 specific jokes and homages.

the controls would also need slight adjustments, like shaking the Dualshock 3 would change your camo quickly.

then the dialog would need to be rerecorded for button promts, because characters will literally tell you to press certain Dualshock 3 buttons if I remember correctly.

so in short, the issue with MGS4 is 1: it's a game designed for the exotic CPU of the PS3 and 2: it is full of PS3 system specific jokes, eastereggs and spoken dialog

Last edited:

Banned
iv gone back to these games and they control/play horribly by todays standards. hope those systems get revamped or i sleep.

if you're talking about any game that isn't MGS1 and only MGS1 here, then I don't know what you're on about, because MGS2-5 play excellently. they are precise, super responsive and work perfectly with the games' designs.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
no, it simply has a lot of PS3 based jokes in it and is designed for the system, while also being a pretty big title.

so porting wouldn't be easy, and they would not only need to port, but also remove or replace a lot of jokes and easterggs.

like you can change the controller port during the Mantis fight, and if you do that there's a whole codec call where they tell you that this isn't MGS1, and that this doesn't work here.

or as you go down the stairs in Shadow Moses, where on PS1 there was a disc change, Otacon will call you and tell you to switch discs, until he remembers that you're playing on a PS3 which uses Blu-ray technology 🤣

there are other smaller and bigger things with PlayStation eastereggs and PS3 specific jokes and homages.

the controls would also need slight adjustments, like shaking the Dualshock 3 would change your camo quickly.

then the dialog would need to be rerecorded for button promts, because characters will literally tell you to press certain Dualshock 3 buttons if I remember correctly.

so in short, the issue with MGS4 is 1: it's a game designed for the exotic CPU of the PS3 and 2: it is full of PS3 system specific jokes, eastereggs and spoken dialog
I get that, but i dont see why that means it cant be rereleased, make it ps5 exclusive or something if sony is going to be a stickler about the ps references or blu ray jokes

Last edited:

Banned
I get that, but i dont see why that means it cant be rereleased, make it ps5 exclusive or something if sony is going to be a stickler about the ps refferences

it would still be weird to hear Otacon tell you how great the PS3 is you're playing on n shit.
or telling you to press Select, when there's no Select button...

button hints in the menu n stuff would need reworking as well, because you can't lightly press R1 to underhand throw a grenade on PS5.

the issue really is that this game is so incredibly tied to the PS3 that you'd almost need a remake at that point.

Sub_Level

Reminds me that they actually re-recorded some mgs2 dialogue for the xbox & windows version back in 2002. It sounded terrible lol. Think its still in the hd version, you can hear the colonel start sounding different mid-tutorial.

You’re entitled to like what you like. I hate that version because tonally it turns a serious story with ridiculous elements into a comical story with even more ridiculous elements. To say nothing of the gameplay imbalances, the music changes, the voice acting quality, and the fact that you had to use a Gamecube controller.

GameCube_controller.png

there is a hilarious image out there of a PS2 controller with the buttons of a Gamecube controller and I cannot find it for the life of me.

GameCube_controller.png

xWqonDV.png

Top Bottom