• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still play a game if you hate the art style/graphics/aesthetics?

When I see these kind of neon glow effects I instantly lose interest in a game:
2g0mEms.jpg

Lupin25

I'm pretty sure most of us would have sex with a woman who looked like sloth from the goonies if it was offered so I don't see anyone turning down a game over art style or graphics 😁

Wut lol

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

To answer your question OP I would and have before.

Gameplay above all else.

Last edited:
Nope, not if it's really off-putting. Also, I don't want to encourage the developers by giving them my money if they made something ugly and unappealing.

Prime example is the recently released Monkey Island game. Gross.

Trilobit

There are plenty of graphic novels I reject based on their art style, but I haven't yet encountered that with video games. Unless it's 2D as I've sort of gotten bored by it in new games.

Nope.

Have to like how the game looks. Doesn’t mean it has to have amazing realistic graphics, but the artstyle must be aesthetically pleasing. It’s what I’ll be looking at afterall.

I’ll try a game even if I dislike the art style. Never know. It might be ugly, but a lot of fun. Gameplay is the most important thing to me.

Probably not to be honest. It's as important as gameplay and narrative for me. It needs to look unique. Which might explain why lately when I see an Unreal Engine game, I get a little disappointed. They're starting to look very similar.

Neon glow effects are something that will make me play a game I otherwise wouldn't be into. I'm easily entertained by shiny things.
So, you’re lucky – everytime, a bunch of new games are presented, at least a third of them are full of glow effects ;)

And if you are into pixelated graphics, there you have another third :D

Last edited:

kunonabi

I would love to say yes but despite the improvements and how brilliantly designed the Tekken characters were I still won't play SFxT because looking at it just makes me nauseous. That art direction is just so painfully unappealing. To be honest SF6 is causing the same reaction although not as strongly.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
No. If the game is ugly to look at then fuck it.

radewagon

Yes. 100% I was trying to think of a game series that I played regardless of my hating the aesthetics and I remembered how much I was instinctually repulsed by Gears of War's super beefed up characters. I don't remember why I finally took a chance on the series, but I'm glad I did. It's pretty phenomenal.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's the main reason why I stay away from most jRPGs. Especially ones that have those kid-looking characters with big heads that are supposed to be adult somehow. I just can't take that shit seriously.

D3SCHA1N

The types of games I like to play don't typically end up having art styles I detest, so tbh I can't even think of an example where this particular situation has been put to the test.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's the main reason why I stay away from most jRPGs. Especially ones that have those kid-looking characters with big heads that are supposed to be adult somehow. I just can't take that shit seriously.
Do you mean chibi stuff? Because if that's the case then yeah, it's disgusting.

Just don't diregard the whole JRPG genre my man, there's some stuff out there that's more serious and grounded when it comes to it's visual presentation. SMT or Yakuza LaD come to mind.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Do you mean chibi stuff? Because if that's the case then yeah, it's disgusting.

Just don't diregard the whole JRPG genre my man, there's some stuff out there that's more serious and grounded when it comes to it's visual presentation. SMT or Yakuza LaD come to mind.
I like some of the older games like Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross or FF9, and more recently I did enjoy FF7 remake. But when I look at something like Tales of Symphonia or Ni no Kuni, I just wanna gouge my eyeballs out.

Fbh

Yeah, Bayonetta 3 is one of the ugliest games I've played in the last 10 years, but I still had a blast with it.

brian0057

Banned
This is Thief II: The Metal Age, released in 2000.
I still play it to this day.
If any given artstyle is a dealbreaker for you, your bloodline is weak and will not survive the winter.

Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-screen-2.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only game that really pushed me away because of the art style was A Link Between Worlds. I just thought that game looked horrible and made me not want to play it.

AMSCD

I think it's worth trying. I was skeptical of the new Monkey Island art style but I grew to love it.

AMSCD

Part of the big reason why I do not like Skyrim or Oblivion is because of how Bethesda handles their portrayal of Medieval fantasy.

The asthetics of the elder scroll series is downright boring. Their depictions of mythological creatures look horrible.

I mean how is minotaur supposed to make me feel scared or intimidated? KEKW.

Qhnr6mM.png
There is no doubt that Bethesda's art direction is dull.

Part of the big reason why I do not like Skyrim or Oblivion is because of how Bethesda handles their portrayal of Medieval fantasy.

The asthetics of the elder scroll series is downright boring. Their depictions of mythological creatures look horrible.

I mean how is minotaur supposed to make me feel scared or intimidated? KEKW.

Qhnr6mM.png

Thats also the reason i dislike Elder Scrolls and have always gravitated more toward fallout. While the wasteland is kind of basic the characters at least have a somewhat of a distinct look and humor to them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said no before, but after thinking about it it actually comes down to legacy and expectations.

I'll buy off GOG and replay 25 year old games that look like shit now, but that was a sign of the times. I dont expect an indie puzzle game for $5 to have AAA production values either. It'll probably be cute and colurful and looks like it can run on Windows 95. That's fine. If I'm matching gems, I dont expect it to look like a real life jewelry store.

But given a recent game I'm interested in but see the visuals, I'll avoid it for many reasons (some of you said them already):

- Way too colourful like every colour on the rainbow is zooming all over the screen. If Diablo 3 wasnt an addictive loot game, I wouldnt bother. The game looks like Warcraft
- Big bloomy effects
- Anything related to anime (JRPG, big head sports, FF)
- Colourful cute blobby graphics. That indie style of graphics where they couldnt hire someone to make anything detailed
- I live medieval style visuals, but only if it's gritty and dark. If it's that style where they make it cartoony, no thanks. A lot of indie rogue games have this style
- Too much HUD and numbers everywhere. Granted, this stuff is likely able to be turned off in options, but it sure looks shit in videos and images (UBI games are the worst)

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I don't recall a game that visually speaking I could say I hate.

Games like deus ex or system shock felt weird (visually speaking) like barren and lifeless.

I also remember playing a bit of Omikron directed by and actual genius (and not that hack called Hideo Trolljima or whatever).

And felling the same way. Like I couldn't get immerse in the world

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
HvZCeOg.jpg

And yet it's one of the best games of all time.
What game is it?

If I have to guess, then from the art and the text I'd guess final fantasy or metal gear solid.

It's without a doubt a Japanese game though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Back in the day I thought it'd be cool to give Hexen a break from P.C. and play it on OG Playststion...I tried...
fmT14SA.jpg

supernova8

Banned
Games can pull off any art style with the right tools. For instance, BOTW pulls off the simplistic art style because it's extremely coherent. Nothing stands out as particularly high or low detail.
In contrast, I find that Yakuza falls flat because the main characters are all super high poly but then a lot of the NPCs look like they were ripped from Doom 3 on ultra low settings.

Also I can forgive the artstyle if the gameplay loop is fun and the performance (ie framerate, frametime) is good (looking at you Pokemon Scarlet/Violet).

ahtlas7

Not if I ‘hate’ the graphics. I’m fairly sensitive to aliasing and depending on art style I may not play a game with lots of aliasing issues.

What game is it?

If I have to guess, then from the art and the text I'd guess final fantasy or metal gear solid.

It's without a doubt a Japanese game though.
Looks like Deadly Premunition.

This game is not good looking and feels pretty clunky to play but it has personality and humor, which made me play it.

Comandr

I’ve always wanted to try the Atelier series but I just can’t deal with the ugu nya moe waifu crap.

Soosa

Banned
No, usually.

Like the new monkey island, tried it but it just looks so stupid that I uninstalled it.

Same with most Nintendo IPs, I dont like their art style. Zelda were ok, but too low quality graphics + lame art style trying to hide it = pass.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
No, I wont. The looks play a very important role to make me feel inmersed in the experience. I wont play anything that I dont feel inmersed in or whose world I find ugly. I just dont feel like it.

Top Bottom