• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still play a game if you hate the art style/graphics/aesthetics?

BbMajor7th

It might be off-putting at first, but if I'm having a good time and the art direction is well-considered, I'll sometimes come around to appreciating it. Dark Souls II is a good example. I remember thinking it looked like a real turd when I fired it up (and to be fair, it does at first glance) but I spent enough time with it that I learned to admire it for what it was. I think with anything artistic, I'm always interested to figure out what someone had in mind when they created it, so I'll try to push past initial impressions.

Sometimes it goes the other way - Salt and Sanctuary got a pass for crumby art direction because it was literally a two-person team and a solid game. Salt and Sacrifice not so much - the first game sold a butt-tonne and they should have invested in proper art direction for the second game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This is Thief II: The Metal Age, released in 2000.
I still play it to this day.
If any given artstyle is a dealbreaker for you, your bloodline is weak and will not survive the winter.

Thief-2-The-Metal-Age-screen-2.jpg
But Thief has nice artstyle? It's just that it's graphics are old, but as long as the artstyle if fine, it's no dealbreaker.

tommib

Yes, I can’t get past the menu for Horizon. The fonts and Titanic-level music make me want to nail my eyes and ears. I like to imagine that everyone who likes these games have the cheesiest tribal tattoos on theirs calves.

Esca

If it is really bag to me, I'll probably skip it. Visuals are a large part of this medium and they're ate tons of other games anyways

Reactions: Isa

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Part of the big reason why I do not like Skyrim or Oblivion is because of how Bethesda handles their portrayal of Medieval fantasy.

The asthetics of the elder scroll series is downright boring. Their depictions of mythological creatures look horrible.

I mean how is minotaur supposed to make me feel scared or intimidated? KEKW.

Qhnr6mM.png

That's a big dong.

nkarafo

No. I have quit games i really wanted to play because i hated their excessive auto exposure. I remember how one of the Call of Duty games felt like my monitor was using auto-brightness or something all the time. Same thing happened more recently with Forza Horizon 5.

Can't stand auto exposure and the worst thing is that more and more modern games use it excessively (while more and more clueless gamers think it's realistic because "that's how eyes work").

Usually, but sometimes it's a deal breaker. I love action platformers and metroidvanias, and I've only ever heard good things about Dust: An Elysian Tail (also just now realizing it's spelled Tail 😖) But, no...

Also not a fan of the PS1 throwback stuff. That was the console of my formative years, and I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but those graphics are better left as a memory.

To be fair the Bloodborne demake, for one, seems awesome, but I don't want to play it.

Is this from a game, or is it just one of those pixel art urban landscapes? It's awesome.

Last edited:
Nope. Some games are just ugly without any color or imaginative game design, like Atomic Hearts, Wolfenstein, Metro etc. and I avoid them.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
No. I didn’t consider playing Hollow Knight for a long time. It’s decent but I found the lag on my tv from a Switch unbearable.

I also do not like the hair on the MC in SMT 5. So annoying looking.

Usually, but sometimes it's a deal breaker. I love action platformers and metroidvanias, and I've only ever heard good things about Dust: An Elysian Tail (also just now realizing it's spelled Tail 😖) But, no...

Also not a fan of the PS1 throwback stuff. That was the console of my formative years, and I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but those graphics are better left as a memory. To be fair the Bloodborne demake, for one, seems awesome, but I don't want to play it.

Is this from a game, or is it just one of those pixel art urban landscapes? It's awesome.
Some King of Fighters stage. Not sure which KoF though.

Filben

If I hate it? Then no, because it will constantly pull me out of the experience and I don't think I can have fun then.

At first, I found Jetforce Gemini an abomination with its character designs, but after giving it a chance, it was a fun game. One of Rare's best games, in my opinion.

CaV5N5J.jpg

I have something against the art-style of a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail... Something about it looks so diluted and just... not a fun game to immerse yourself in. Bleh.

60Q8vo4.jpg

Yuck. I'm sorry developers, I'm sure it might be a good game, but I can't with that art-style.

Last edited:

Crayon

Usually no, but occasionally I see a game and I just HATE IT.

- skullgirls. What is this guro-waifu mess. It's dark and the way it moves and the designs. Hate it. I could never play this.
- Donkey Kong 64. This whole game looks like a fuzzy tie dye shirt. Barf.
- Binding of Issac. I can't believe you let your kid play that.

And special mention to candice debebe. Who is trying to look horrific but was probably not trying to kill me. It almost killed me. I pushed through a bit and had to turn it off, delete it, and hide it from my library. Me and my wife were howling for like 10 minutes after. We were in tears laughing.

DavidGzz

Nope, and my tastes changed from my teen years. It makes me sad though, cause some of my favorite old school games would be unplayable today. Like if Final Fantasy Tactics was remade with the same look, idk if I'd care about it too much even though it's in my top 10 of all time. Same goes for Suikoden. I'm also not interested in anime games, Zelda, Mario, etc anymore. :(

Top Bottom