• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Xbox Series X have an internal or external power supply brick?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Best answer: Almost certainly the Xbox Series X has an internal power supply. While we don't have official word, the figure-8 power port and our own information points to an internal power supply.

In the leaked photographs of the Xbox Series X, we got a glimpse of the ports on the back of the console, and we can see a standard figure-8 style power socket similar to what's offered in the Xbox One S and X, as opposed to the 3-pin socket on the original Xbox One from 2013. We've confirmed with a few sources that the Xbox Series X does indeed have an internal power supply, as you might expect.

We'll likely have some confirmation from Microsoft sooner, rather than later, but it's fair to expect that there will be no external power supply brick with the Xbox Series X, keeping your playspace tidy.

xbox-series-x-leak-side.jpg

I know many people prefer internal psu's, vs external brick and all... But if the psu goes out, you'll have to replace the entire console, rather than having to spend a couple bucks to replace it. Not to mention, internal supplies will be susceptible to the internal heat of the console, in essence, shortening the lifespan of it.

Must be a slow day at windows central.

It'll be internal, but is it really that hard to stow a <1l block if it does end up being external?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Can you imagine such a big form factor and still an external power supply 😂

Probably internal but power bricks are not bad. If your power brick fails, you just buy another one from Ebay or somewhere else.
But the internal one goes, well you have to take your console apart and many other complications.
There's no need for hating on the external power supplies. They're useful.

Panaphonics

Banned
Probably internal but power bricks are not bad. If your power brick fails, you just buy another one from Ebay or somewhere else.
But the internal one goes, well you have to take your console apart and many other complications.
There's no need for hating on the external power supplies. They're useful.

well MS wanted to go this route but everyone was bashing them for it.
especially sony fanboys.

GymWolf

External is always better for many reason but people bitch about the external psu so of course is gonna be internal...

People, you don't have to put the brick inside your ass, you can just hide him behind your tv furniture...

Last edited:
External is always better but people bitch about the external psu so of course is gonna be internal...

People, you don't have to put the brick inside your ass, you can just hide him behind your tv furniture...
This.
It's amazing how many people bitched about xbox 360's power brick.
Put that thing behind a shelf and forget about it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
well MS wanted to go this route but everyone was bashing them for it.
especially sony fanboys.
Like with AA batteries, who the fuck wants them to go. Internal batteries, well in everything (aside from cardiostimulators) is fucking fucking evil.

Dane

I know many people prefer internal psu's, vs external brick and all... But if the psu goes out, you'll have to replace the entire console, rather than having to spend a couple bucks to replace it. Not to mention, internal supplies will be susceptible to the internal heat of the console, in essence, shortening the lifespan of it.

Depends, if the internal is a separate board, then you can still have the luck, I had a totaled Xbox OG on that and sold it, as far as I'm concerned you just need to replace it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This.
It's amazing how many people bitched about xbox 360's power brick.
Put that thing behind a shelf and forget about it.

No, external power supplies suck. It's another part that can (and will) break, it's another part that creates sound (the high buzzing fan in the power supply was always audible), it's another part you have to take with you if you want to move your console, it's just not good design. I never hated it, but it wasn't a good idea.

No, external power supplies suck. It's another part that can (and will) break, it's another part that creates sound (the high buzzing fan in the power supply was always audible), it's another part you have to take with you if you want to move your console, it's just not good design. I never hated it, but it wasn't a good idea.
But if your power supply goes bad, would you rather have an external or an internal one?

Banned
Like with AA batteries, who the fuck wants them to go. Internal batteries, well in everything (aside from cardiostimulators) is fucking fucking evil.

so true!
that always shows me who is just literally braindead.
because if you are stupid enough to think that having the option to use ANY AA battery is a bad thing then you are not worth the oxygen you're breathing.

and sadly it looks like Microsoft will now use internal batteries with next gen controllers and they started with the Series 2 Elite Controller.

what they should do instead is to sell Series X controllers with rechargable batteries as standard and still give you the option to switch them out for your own batteries.

Top Bottom