• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the proliferation of 3rd-party converters / peripherals make the controller an irrelevant factor in your next-gen choice?

Will the controller play a big role in your next-gen decision...?

• Yes, a big part of my brand loyalty will be due to the controller design

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, I'll buy the system I want and use a converter to enable the controller I want

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided, I want to see if any of the controllers blow me away

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
During the PS3/Wii/360 generation, controller style was frequently mentioned as a deciding factor for owning one system or the other. During the PS4/Wii U/X1 generation, controller was a less-relevant factor. In part, Sony and Nintendo stepped up their game to match the (imo superior) form-factor of the 360 controller. So the difference between controllers was not as pronounced.

Another major factor, however, was the surge in third-party converters that allowed players to use controllers on competitors' systems, boards that added compatibility across multiple systems, and even to use a mouse and keyboard on a console. Earlier in the gen, most converters were the USB-to-USB but now there are converters that even allow wireless connection.

maxresdefault.jpg
brook-universal-fighting-board-pcb.jpg
MAGIC-NS_Product_02.jpg

Next gen, using your preferred controller will likely be even easier. That being the case, will the "native" controller factor into your platform purchase? Or will you use the controller you want on whatever system you want, looking instead to the OS features and the game library to sway your buy?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It looks like (at least from the PlayStation 5 side of things) that their controller is going to be gimmicky. Microphone that interprets voice commands, back track pad, pulse sensor(?) and so on. I don't expect that I'll be able to plug my Switch Pro controller into the PS5, even with a third party peripheral.

With the way things are shaping up for the Xbox SeX, Microsoft themselves will make and sell the conversion peripherals.

-Troid-

Banned
From what I read most of those converters add a significant lag factor. Plus you have to update them. Plus I wouldn't want to use an Xbox controller on a Playstation (or vise versa) and have the button prompts in game differ. To me it would be too much of a hassle for console gaming.

Old Retro

Sony makes the only OEM controller I can play. If stop dragging my ass I got a Switch, I would have to get one of those "pro" controllers. I can't use those lil dinky ass ones that clamp to the sides. I also prefer Sony's library VS Xbox.

Top Bottom