• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith Breaks Silence: “Deeply Remorseful” For Oscar Slap

Draugoth

Gold Member

mansoor1980

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Quasicat

I dunno if he was going for the sympathetic look for this video, but he looks like a man on the edge. I genuinely feel bad for him, even though it was mostly self inflicted. I wonder how much of an absolute asshole Jada is to him behind the scenes to get him to such a point.
I see interviews with her talking about her marriage and raising their kids and think, “someone has to go home to her every night, poor guy.”

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Took him 3 months to figure this out? They should have kicked him out of the Oscars the moment that happened. If he's truly understood the gravity of the situation and is doing his honest best to make amends, then great, but I can't help but feel like this video oozes with dishonest celebrity privilege.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yea...seen that parroted a lot. Mostly by people who (like Will Smith himself) dont understand how serious that is and that there might be a paypack. Its been quite prevelant on the states lately.
There is a worrying trend where physical violence is seen as pretty much acceptable but words are seen as horrible. Basically "sticks and stones don't really hurt, but words will break me"

dr_octagon

Banned
I know this is kind of a hot take, but I really don’t give two shits. It was never a big deal to me. The slap looked comical, even kind of fake, and I just have trouble taking the whole thing seriously.
It's about the hypocrisy of not caring about violence because it involves men. They're all in the same club and it definitely feels like manufacturered drama.

Plus it is a nice distraction from important events and trials.

Renoir

so.. now that this apology is out, Badboy 4 back in production? I never understood the apology game.

Ionian

I hope he finds the forgiveness he seeks and makes the restitution he needs to. We have all done things we regret, and fortunately they were not broadcast to the world.
You've never seen this before in real life?

This was televised.

Iv'e been in numerous fights, as a CHILD.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You've never seen this before in real life?

This was televised.

Iv'e been in numerous fights, as a CHILD.
Everyone has got into fist fights in school. And every person has taken the brunt of jokes or jealousy as students.

Last time I hit someone was in a high school fight (I won too!). At least that was dumb shit which stemmed from us hacking at each other in gym class.

Will Smith is over 50 years old and couldn’t take some jabs from a comedian, all the while Will Smith is a comedian himself.

Crazy.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He also apologized like the next day?

Not sure why this is being framed as though it's his first time apologizing.

He just did it on video this time w/ a bit more elaboration. Seems like he was hoping Chris Rock would engage in some sort of talk with him but since he declined he wanted to get this out there.

I mean it's also narcissistic celeb shit but he seems somewhat genuine at least.

Ionian

Everyone has got into fist fights in school. And every person has taken the brunt of jokes or jealousy as students.

Last time I hit someone was in a high school fight (I won too!). At least that was dumb shit which stemmed from us hacking at each other in gym class.

Will Smith is over 50 years old and couldn’t take some jabs from a comedian, all the while Will Smith is a comedian himself.

Crazy.
exactly

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see if it affects his career. If he keeps getting big budget movies then this incident meant nothing. If his career dives as he’s blacklisted as a trouble maker and his roles thin out, then it’d show Hollywood takes it seriously.

IntentionalPun

Will be interesting to see if it affects his career. If he keeps getting big budget movies then this incident meant nothing. If his career dives as he’s blacklisted as a trouble maker and his roles thin out, then it’d show Hollywood takes it seriously.
Well it already has.. had a bunch of projects cancelled, and Martin Lawrence even said he's pretty sure he'll be recast even in Bad Boys 4.

To your point the long term will be interesting to watch, but this put a serious dent in his career.. for certain.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah I don't care. Chris Rock seems okay. I don't need to know whether Will Smith feels bad or whatever.
Either make movies again, start rapping in a relevant way again, or go away.

Ionian

That's never gonna happen, he hasn't been a big take for a film in a long time.

When was the last blockbuster he did?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

So one slap and 2 curse words are enough to label him a troublemaker? In about 30 years name another thing he's done to have him labeled a troublemaker. Do you consider Russell Crowe a troublemaker for regularly getting into bar fights? Should he have parts ripped away from him? No work?

Woggleman

I don't condone what he did but this became way bigger than it should have been. I saw worse things in my high school cafeteria. People are acting like he went on stage and beat Chris Rock to a bloody pulp.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Will was definitely in the wrong and I'm glad he apologized. I felt bad for him when he was apologizing to Chris's mother. I look forward to him coming back from this.

IntentionalPun

Ah shit, was some misleading click bait headline I saw lol

He reveals IF he thinks that.. read it as he said he thinks Will might be recast.

Top Bottom