• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will raytracing usher in a mid-gen console refresh?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I believe that 120 fps gaming will have more of an impact if we see a PS5 Pro. It also would help Sony's TV division with sales since you need HDMI 2.1 for 120 fps.

MrS

Banned
Would prefer a 5 year gen and hard console refresh than a 7 year gen with a mid-gen refresh.

RaySoft

Nope. With an RTX 2080 (even 2070) and a decent CPU you can run pretty much any modern game at 1080p 120fps everything except RT on Ultra.
Ok, but then my point would be; How can we get the most out of this hardware? From 120 fps to 60 you could "double" the geometry, making Craig rather presentable;-)

cormack12

Gold Member
Nah, can't see it. The jump in every area is huge I think the Pro would have been an interesting test to learn from regarding 'premium' buyers but can't see the value in one mid gen this time round.

HDD -> SSD
1.5TF -> 10/12TF
Jaguar -> Zen

Compsiox

Banned
We'll have to see what Nvidia brings to the table. If the 30 series or future cards are magic and increases ray tracing performance a lot, you'll probably see AMD push for that as well.

KingT731

Raytracing need to make leaps and bounds in efficiency before it truly can become mainstream. Also depends on how much much the price increase is on the new GPUs considering the 2080ti is almost 2 years old and still being sold for over $1K.

RaySoft

You are responding to a comment that references SCIENTIFIC PAPER outlining exactly how memory intensive that is.
How old was that paper? 15years? I just browsed through it and it looks like they are discussing a complete software implementation of RT, making it even more demanding than specialized RT hardware of today.

INC

Nope. With an RTX 2080 (even 2070) and a decent CPU you can run pretty much any modern game at 1080p 120fps everything except RT on Ultra.

I run everything at 1440p and get 120+ easily on my rig, not with ray tracing, its a pointless piece of tech atm

Once dlss 2.0 is standard for all games, ray tracing will be viable

Top Bottom