• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoddi

GPU Hardware decompression??

The PS5 doesnt use its GPU to do decompression so how could that possibly be PS5 tech when the PS5 doesnt do it?
The PS5 has a dedicated kraken hardware unit for decompression.
And GPU de/compression has been a thing on PC for years, Sony didnt invent it......game devs just didnt bother with it and MS giving us an API for easy implementation is whats driving (hopefully) more devs to actually use it.

nvComp was released before the PS5 came out.
nvcomp

And thats just one example of a GPU de/compression algorithm.

I could keep going but I know you have some counterpoint which proves its all because of the PS5 that Microsoft developed DirectStorage (which was in development before the PS5) and King Cerny is the reason engineers figured CUDA is good for all these cool things, what if we used it for de/compression.
By extension shouldnt any GPU be capable of GPU de/compression......nooooo not until the PS5 does it, then our monkey brains will figure it out.
Rage offered CUDA for handling the Megatexture > GPU texture transcoding way back in 2011.

>Graphics settings are irrelevant, so are other hardware components. If this can run off a HDD with none of the previously mentioned issues, even if it requires 64gb of ram, an i9 and all on the lowest of settings, it'll already count as a win for the HDD. After all, the effect of the SSD on game design was always the main topic of these conversations.
The bolded would make this is a pointless comparison for any normal reason. Asset quality is vey key. Could it have run on a PS4? That would be a reasonable comparison.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I think you are confusing "requirement" with "recommended". CP2077 works with HDD.
pc requirement usually come with two tier. minimum and recomended.

Cyberpunk 2077 will drop HDD support in favour of SSD when Phantom Liberty release later

One of the changes is the choice to stop supporting HDDs for the minimum requirements – SSDs offer faster loading times, improved streaming, and better overall performance when compared to HDDs. - CDPR

0fd3c79eafd5ed6b7573ee6133c8c31902323f4453ad15e5.jpg

they release this statement on the official site.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
pc requirement come with two tier. minimum and recomended.

Cyberpunk 2077 will drop HDD support in favour of SSD when Phantom Liberty release later

0fd3c79eafd5ed6b7573ee6133c8c31902323f4453ad15e5.jpg

they release this statement on the official site.

Drop for the base game? They can't do that. People already bought the game based on the minimum specs on the launch. Imagine the shit storm if a game that someone bought and run on a HDD stops working on HDDs. Unless they don't force the update.

Kumomeme

Drop for the base game? They can't do that. People already bought the game based on the minimum specs on the launch. Imagine the shit storm if a game that someone bought and run on a HDD stops working on HDDs. Unless they don't force the update.
it should still continue to work but future update wont be tested on HDD. so my understanding is there perhaps a risk of suffer more performance drop or they wont bother to any ingame complaint regarding to HDD.

Starfield's pc requirement on Steam also mention "Additional Notes: SSD Required" on both minimum and recomended specs.

starfield_system_requirements.jpg

Last edited:

Bojji

Devs can say that for minimum game needs SSD but it won't stop game from working from HDD. Unless they start checking drive performance or something when install.

Of course most games run like shit from HDD so good luck playing from it.

Banned
It just moved a character from a lower part to a higher part of the map and then back, it didn't load in new "worlds".

that is almost certainly exactly what happens in Ratchet as well, every other way would be needlessly complicated.

that is not true. There's this giant planet that get's destroyed and you can hammer a crystal to go back and forth between 'broken' and 'ok' planet.

Though I agree, the game is most likely playable on HDD with not many major hiccups

I mentioned this planet in a post. the fact is that you can only switch at predetermined spots, which would allow the devs to pre-load things while you approach, and to have full control over what is in you immediate vicinity before and after the switch, which gives them the opportunity to manage assets for easy/fast loading.

At the lowest settings possible and you're acting like this is an "I told you so" moment. lol

we have to wait and see about the settings. nowhere in that spec sheet does it say that you have to play on low settings if you use an HDD, it is simply listed as the minimum.
and we also don't know how the lowest settings look 🤷 what if they still look really good?
and the only setting affected by I/O speeds is texture resolution... so basically you can set everything else to the absolute max for sure, the only question is how far you can push textures on an HDD until it becomes an issue

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Rage offered CUDA for handling the Megatexture > GPU texture transcoding way back in 2011.
No, its only because of the PS5 that we GPU hardware decompression on PC.

lol I meant Final Fantasy 7R for PS4 and PS5 used the same engine (PS5 had new stuff specifically for SSD but base is UE4)
now send me a beer or 10, because tomorrow is the last day before my 2 weeks vacations!
Hahaha Ill work on those beers.

Kinda a different story with FF7R, the base game was always a PS4 game and UE4 isnt exactly known for taking advantage of current gen tech.....hell on PC its still thread limited engine (unless devs reallyt work hard) as if everyone doesnt have 6 cores 12 threads or more these days.
Youll find Unreal games parking themselves on like cores threads and letting your CPU get bored while the framerate tanks.

Rift Apart was always a PS5 game, with DirectStorage implemented it should be relatively easy for anyone with a decent rig to power through......I say this knowing we have had a bunch of really bad PC ports lately......lets hope this isnt one of them.

Bogard

I kind of feel bad being dumb about graphics. I *was* just looking at this thinking "can I even play it with a HDD?" I didn't want to buy a PS5 just for this game.

schaft0620

They are moving the loads to RAM, look at the RAM requirements.

It's what they did with Returnal.

Anyone who tries to play this game on an HDD is being a hot take diva who has no idea how any of this works.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nope. We need to know asset quality and what specs are needed to match ps5 settings. Otherwise it’s a pointless criteria bringing up minimum specs.
The point is seeing how essential a SSD truly is to the game. Minimum settings is still a configuration deemed acceptable by the developers, but we still should wait for the release to reach proper conclusions. The game will run on a hdd as we already know but we dont know if the transitions, its supposed SSD-essential mechanical design, will suffer from it greatly, mildly or won't.

Either way, theres nothing on the line here, no need to get worked up about it. Its not like i can stop you from drawing your own conclusions if my set criteria doesn't satisfy you.

yurinka

Not requiring fast SSD and including loading screens for when playing on HDD or -if needed- slow SSD would be the smarter choice business wise.

Guilty_AI

They are moving the loads to RAM, look at the RAM requirements.

It's what they did with Returnal.

Anyone who tries to play this game on an HDD is being a hot take diva who has no idea how any of this works.
The RAM requirements are fairly standard for modern games. 8gb for minimum, 16gb for most recommended settings, 32gb for the maximum ultra settings.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't what is suppose to be this discussion and who the fuck does not have SSD these days. Besides even IF you could run it, the answer is simple. TON OF RAM, not shared like on consoles, just laying there to be used. No SSD match that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because SSDs are quieter and faster than HDDs.
Also way more durable, any kind of vibrating while moving your computer for whatever reason can send your HDD with Kaiosama suddenly... That's the reason why I don't consider them anymore, not even for cold storage, SATA SSD are the new cheaper option and they're way more reliable.

I mentioned this planet in a post. the fact is that you can only switch at predetermined spots, which would allow the devs to pre-load things while you approach, and to have full control over what is in you immediate vicinity before and after the switch, which gives them the opportunity to manage assets for easy/fast loading.

I just tested it. When hitting the crystal there's a transition effect (?) which hides the loading. It's very subtle on PS5 but I suppose they could lengthen it on the PC version if needed.

I doubt they would change how it works much.

Guilty_AI

Do you mean video RAM?
No, this is just RAM. VRAM requirements aren't high either though, with most of the highest settings requiring 8gb, medium-lower settings from 6gb to 4gb. Didn't you see the specs sheet they released?

Last edited:

Bojji

I just tested it. When hitting the crystal there's a transition effect (?) which hides the loading. It's very subtle on PS5 but I suppose they could lengthen it on the PC version if needed.

I doubt they would change how it works much.

They can store whole level in memory (with 2 layouts). I think they do that in PS5 version...

Pimpbaa

Isn’t this kinda pointless? Every PC gamer with a decent PC has a SSD. At the very least they are using SATA SSDs. Unless they have some horribly outdated PC that runs games worse than current gen consoles and they refuse to update the one thing that helps so god damn much with even just basic Windows stuff. I mean I had an outdated PC, but I still got a SATA SSD in it way back in 2013-2014. It’s not like anyone is going to be playing this off a hard drive other than to just see if it can do it or not.

Three

It would require more RAM than PS5 as recommended specs, SSD might also be recommended but will likely run possibly with some hitches.

Ivan

Look what one game from the beginning of generation did... Just imagine what will happen when true next gen stuff come, it would be very hard to survive here 😅.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Isn’t this kinda pointless? Every PC gamer with a decent PC has a SSD. At the very least they are using SATA SSDs. Unless they have some horribly outdated PC that runs games worse than current gen consoles and they refuse to update the one thing that helps so god damn much with even just basic Windows stuff. I mean I had an outdated PC, but I still got a SATA SSD in it way back in 2013-2014. It’s not like anyone is going to be playing this off a hard drive other than to just see if it can do it or not.

Its not that PC gamers doesn't have a SSD nowadays. Its just that some folks proclaim this game is impossible without (PS5's) SSD or something. And now we have proper evidence that it works even on an ordinary SSD and a HDD.

Pimpbaa

Its not that PC gamers doesn't have a SSD nowadays. Its just that some folks proclaim this game is impossible without (PS5's) SSD or something. And now we have proper evidence that it works even on an ordinary SSD and a HDD.

Considering people tested out playing the game on the Xbox Series X SSD (which is far below Sony’s recommended speed) in the PS5’s SSD slot it’s not that surprising. Not surprising it runs on an ordinary SSD, surprising it runs on a HDD. Wonder what it would take to actually max out the throughput of the PS5’s SSD + Hardware decompression.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Considering people tested out playing the game on the Xbox Series X SSD (which is far below Sony’s recommended speed) in the PS5’s SSD slot it’s not that surprising. Not surprising it runs on an ordinary SSD, surprising it runs on a HDD. Wonder what it would take to actually max out the throughput of the PS5’s SSD + Hardware decompression.

I am not talking about you. I am talking about the folks out there who claim it wouldn't run without a PS5 SSD previously.

Mr Moose

To be fair to Insomniac, they were talking about PS4 and not PC with DirectStorage 1.2 (I wonder if this can be turned on and off?). PS4 Spider-Man has loading screens in sections where PS5 does not.
We'll have to wait and see how well it actually runs with a HDD.
I want to see how well it runs with the minimum spec'd PC (not a GPU with 16+GB VRAM).
CRITERIA:
>The game must run with no meaningful loading screens nor severe stutters between portals. Assets must also be loaded quickly, with minimum pop-ins or none at all.
Not long to go now until we find out.

They can store whole level in memory (with 2 layouts). I think they do that in PS5 version...

There's a later level which also has the crystal mechanic where I noticed the world is obscured an extra fraction of a second as it loads it in. Demons Souls Remake does this too from time to time.

I imagine to get an experience comparable to the PS5 version you will need a 8+ GB GPU plus a reasonably fast SSD.

Top Bottom