• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo/GameFreak patch Pokemon Scarlet/Violet?

Will Nintendo/GameFreak patch Pokemon Scarlet/Violet technical issues in a meaningful way?

• Yes

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • No

Votes: 102 79.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pokémon is a unique case in that it’s a prisoner of its own success. The main game series are trapped in the 3-year dev cycle because it fuels the Pokémon machine: the anime, card game, merchandise etc. I’m sure the devs are frustrated with the current results but can’t do much about it.

So will they patch the performance issues? I sure hope so but I doubt it. Maybe they already have their hands full with the DLC.

AetherZX

This isn't a Nintendo game.

A Nintendo game never would have released in this state.

Pokémon will sell regardless. It's already over 10 million despite all the bad press. The Pokémon Company doesn't give a crap. And as long as their games sell anyway and, more importantly, pushes merchandise and cards, why would they?

If the games sell regardless of quality, nothing will change. And Nintendo won't force them to do anything because they recognize what TPC is doing is working and making them a ton of money.

Nintendo is part of three companies forming the joint venture known as The Pokemon Company. Nintendo owns roughly 33% of the franchise and publishes every single game on their hardware.

It is a Nintendo game.

Nintendo is part of three companies forming the joint venture known as The Pokemon Company. Nintendo owns roughly 33% of the franchise and publishes every single game on their hardware.

It is a Nintendo game.
Nintendo owning shares, does not make it a Nintendo game.

Is Elden Ring a Sony game?

Except it's not a share, it's a joint venture. Maybe read and comprehend next time.
Lol, I'm sorry you don't understand how this works.

It's not Nintendo. Nintendo does not own majority stake in The Pokémon Company. Good grief.

Again, by your logic The Elden Ring is a first-party Sony game.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t think a lot of you know that game freak is not a Nintendo developer. If anyone is helping them sort it out it will be Nintendo sending people over.

Last edited:
I don’t think a lot of know that game freak is not a Nintendo developer.
Clearly, judging by some of these comments, you're right. I thought this was common knowledge by now.

But, I don't see why Nintendo would do that. It's not their problem, and they're making plenty of money just in the broken state The Pokémon Company and Game Freak released it in.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
They won’t even acknowledge the issues, because that would mean admitting that they messed up.

Last edited:

AetherZX

Lol, I'm sorry you don't understand how this works.

It's not Nintendo. Nintendo does not own majority stake in The Pokémon Company. Good grief.
Neither Creatures Inc nor does Game Freak themselves have a majority stake either.

But one of these companies do publish the games and simultaneously make their own hardware. Said company also has a lot more reason to rush these out for the holidays unlike the other two. Let's not stop there, said company's current CEO was literally a board member of TPC.

Want to keep going, or is it your mission to be incredibly obtuse to defend Nintendo?

chromhound

Naw... Don't Worry, Gamefreak is too busy working on the next game
feat-official-nintendo-seal.jpg

Last edited:
Neither Creatures Inc nor does Game Freak themselves have a majority stake either.

But one of these companies do publish the games and simultaneously make their own hardware. Said company also has a lot more reason to rush these out for the holidays unlike the other two. Let's not stop there, said company's current CEO was literally a board member of TPC.

Want to keep going, or is it your mission to be incredibly obtuse to defend Nintendo?
Is Elden Ring a first-party Sony game?

The Pokémon Company is the Pokémon Company. Nintendo is Nintendo. It's not complicated. It is clearly over your head though.

Last edited:

AetherZX

Is Elden Ring a first-party Sony game?
I'm not sure why you keep mentioning Elden Ring... is your brain working?
The Pokémon Company is the Pokémon Company. Nintendo is Nintendo. It's not complicated. It is clearly over your head though.

A company that is both partly formed and owned by Nintendo, who handles publishing of those games exclusively for their own hardware.

Last edited:
I hope they don’t. If you bought the game in that state you deserve what you get for rewarding such mediocrity. Pokémon has been a technical mess since it went 3D and mechanically uninspired since 3rd gen. But it continues to do well. A part of me resents the masses who continue to reward that.

I recall reading an article with a developer from Gamefreak saying that there's no oversight by Nintendo or TPC and that they have the ability to release games on other platforms. Gamefreak funds, develops and sets deadlines on their own

While Nintendo is the publisher, all they handle is how the game is distributed to retailers and debugging the game. Keep in mind that debugging doesn't mean they're fixing or looking for bugs/glitches. All they're looking for is exploits such as buffer overflows, which is why they have only 3 people doing it.

TPC handles most of the publishers duty such as translating the games for every region. You can also see this in the credits for this game.

AetherZX

So, Nintendo is the majority owner with 33%?

Lol, lmao actually

It's a 3-way split equally.

Anyway, I've already established that Nintendo has more reason to be at fault rushing the game for the holidays than the studio itself making the game (Game Freak) and the 3D modeling arm (Creatures). They're the ones making and selling the Switch and well, the others aren't lmao

Cry yourself to sleep over it or something idc

FStubbs

I recall reading an article with a developer from Gamefreak saying that there's no oversight by Nintendo or TPC and that they have the ability to release games on other platforms. Gamefreak funds, develops and sets deadlines on their own

While Nintendo is the publisher, all they handle is how the game is distributed to retailers and debugging the game. Keep in mind that debugging doesn't mean they're fixing or looking for bugs/glitches. All they're looking for is exploits such as buffer overflows, which is why they have only 3 people doing it.

TPC handles most of the publishers duty such as translating the games for every region. You can also see this in the credits for this game.
And Game Freak has released games on other consoles. Non-Pokemon games.

Nintendo does take blame here, though. They can tell Game Freak "this can't release in this state" or " we need this game patched asap". It's not the same situation as Elden Ring.

Last edited:

AetherZX

Should also note Nintendo owns *all* of the trademarks related to this franchise. They even have a 10% stake in one of the co-owners of it (Creatures).

Quite literally nothing happens to this franchise without their approval. I know it hurts some of the diehards to see Nintendo sign off on unfinished, buggy games, but overwhelming amounts of evidence points to this being the case. You see the signs of it in some of their own in-house games which essentially have a "finish it later" model.

Guess it depends a lot of their past history of it. Their track record with the 3D games performance have been spotty and getting worse. There might be something patched but I honestly doubt it'll fix most of the worst problems nor do I think they have the capability to do so.

daclynk

YES because last time i checked Pokemon Sword/Shield had 9 patches to which fixed most of the problems. But performers remained the same. I mean some people in this thread just don't know what they are talking about or have not played any other the Pokemon games on switch, are talking out of their ass.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Most likely they already moved on to the next Pokemon title. No. They are not gonna patch it as to them that level is acceptable unbelievably. Is the game fun? Yes. Was the game goin to be a lot more fun if technical issues and crashes aren’t a thing? Absolutely. Does Game Freak cares about fixing the technical issues? Definitely not.

blacktout

yes because Pokemon Sword/Shield had 9 patches which fix most of the problems. But performers remaind the same. I mean some poeple in this thread just dont know what they are talking about or have not played any other the Pokemon games on switch and are talking out of their ass.

Yeah, everyone is so desperate to offer the hottest, most extreme take that they're completely detached from reality, and the reality is pretty mundane and boring:

Of course the game will be patched, just like basically every other major release from any publisher is patched and just like past Nintendo games and past Game Freak games on the Switch have been patched. The patches will fix the major bugs and probably smooth out some of the performance hiccups but won't significantly increase the games' visual fidelity or frame rate.

People thinking that the games will go completely unpatched are overlooking two major factors: first, they are certainly going to get paid DLC, just like Sword and Shield, so everyone involved wants people who bought the games to keep playing and stay invested, at least through next year; second, Nintendo, The Pokemon Company, et al want to continue to sell these games at $60 until the next iterations come out in 2024 or 2025, so it's in their interest to invest a small amount of time and money to get them to some baseline level of playability, because that investment could mean literally millions of units in future sales.

Once again, this does not mean that they will ever be 1080p/60fps or see any sort of major overhaul; they're always going to compare poorly to first party games from Nintendo's internal teams, but I would be shocked if they don't get bug fixes and some additional polish.

supernova8

Banned
It's a 3-way split equally.

Anyway, I've already established that Nintendo has more reason to be at fault rushing the game for the holidays than the studio itself making the game (Game Freak) and the 3D modeling arm (Creatures). They're the ones making and selling the Switch and well, the others aren't lmao

Cry yourself to sleep over it or something idc
Sorry to butt into your argument but can I just ask your specific source for saying it's a 3-way split equally?

I can only find evidence that Nintendo owns about 32% of TPC. That means the remaining 68% is owned by Game Freak and Creatures, but as far as I understand we don't know what split is. Reason is obvious: Nintendo is a publicly traded company and thus has to make certain public disclosures (including its holdings in TPC) whereas GF and Creatures are private and thus do not have to do that.

Beyond that, we do know for a fact that Tsunekazu Ishiharu is both CEO of TPC and Chairman of Creatures Inc. I've seen some claims online that Nintendo has a majority stake in Creatures Inc., which makes things even more confusing, but ultimately doesn't help unless we know how much of TPC Creatures actually owns.

Also I found this, which claims that Nintendo owns the actual Pokemon IP, which (if accurate) would render the whole discussion about who owns The Pokemon Company pretty redundant.

Either way, yeah Nintendo absolutely has a say in how the game launches and whether it does/doesn't get patched because for starters the game is on Switch therefore Nintendo could reject it at the QA stage. It could be that Nintendo knows this is a franchise that sells gangbusters and the majority of people will buy it regardless of whether they or others complain about performance issues. Plus, Regardless of who technically owns what, I suspect that right now the only thing Game Freak is capable of doing is making games for Nintendo Switch (and they're not even good at that lol), so that alone gives Nintendo a great deal of leverage (long before we factor in the bit where Nintendo is a much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, bigger company).

Last edited:

Doczu

Either way, yeah Nintendo absolutely has a say in how the game launches and whether it does/doesn't get patched because for starters the game is on Switch therefore Nintendo could reject it at the QA stage. It could be that Nintendo knows this is a franchise that sells gangbusters and the majority of people will buy it regardless of whether they or others complain about performance issues.
But they won't as QA is only to make sure the game runs from start to finish, doesn't brick your hardware and (if possible) catch all possible exploits. The Seal of Quality is just that.

Camreezie

You know its bad when the question is Will they patch the game not when will they. (I just beat Violet today) great game , one of the biggest messes in memory in terms of technical issues and i wouldn't have pushed through if i wasnt a lifelong pokemon player

AetherZX

Patch 1.1.0: patching music that doesn't work correctly in certain battles and other bug fixes.
Nothing about performance
Performance was never going to get patched a bit over a week after launch anyway, so only an idiot would be expecting the initial ones to do that and not the day one update.

Last edited:
Top Bottom