• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Jim Ryan Get Sacked?

Does Jim Ryan Deserve To Be Sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
sackboy-wallpaper-A1.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I have to disagree on that part.

We really don't have stable world. We are on thin thread, which keeps us on balance.
The more these "respect differences " comes up, the more people will feel empowered, and look down on others.

Right now, you are not allowed to call your friends lazy as a joke, if you are working together. I got in trouble with the manager and the supervisor. They had a talk with me about that.

You have to be really careful what to say, in order to not offend anyone.
Just because you work at a heavy left oriented business doesn't mean its this ridden everywhere.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think Jim was good at pissing Sony fans off initially with the push for PC. However I think those growing pains are almost over and people have accepted it. I personally don't want him fired because I'm not sure if someone else would have taken these same steps. Granted, now that it's been decided, I highly doubt anybody who replaces Jim would reverse the decision to couple with PC.

I don't particularly like Jim, but I don't think he should be fired. Ask me about a year and a half ago...I would have said yes.

Reallink

The issue come up at the wrong time.

There is a battle that is going on now. So people won't think rational. Any anger would stem from their rage, about these decisions.

I blocked myself from mainstream news. So I don't follow with these stuff alot.

You think Jimbob decided to randomly write this out of nowhere? The email is a direct response to Bungie's hard-line company stance and them subsequently publicly antagonizing Pro-Life customers and fellow employees on Twitter.

Last edited:
We have the stable, modern world we live in today because people are able to set aside religious, political, and cultural differences to work together and do business.

So yes, respecting differences of opinion is critical to business carrying on. And saying as much does not imply that someone is on a particular side of a wedge issue.

I completely agree. I hate to admit it but I had an account on the website that should not be named. Simply to be able to keep up with friends on there and talk about games (imagine that on a gaming forum huh?) And I was promptly banned, permanently for agreeing with Jim.

This will be why I love GAF at its true heart.

I'm not wholly against abortion and I'm not wholly pro life. I believe there are circumstances where an abortion should be an option.

Don't agree with me? Fine. I completely respect that and we can shake hands, move on with our day and have a great discussion about games. Despite our indifference of opinion, not because I simply had the "wrong" opinion. It's sad but it is what it is.

Also, an open letter to American users, I really hope we move on from this phase of politics in the country at this point in time. For some reason, issues in the United States seem to tip into things here in the UK and the country hols a real influence within our society, even though we're actually very different countries. I'm fed up and tired of this hard left Vs far right, red Vs blue, A Vs B, binary bullshit. The problem is as I've found today, there needs to be more respect for everyone because at the moment it's very much either you agree with me or you're as bad as the person who disagrees with me because you don't agree with me.

Hypocrisy at its finest. We should have respect for each other and I'm all for that. I'm very live and let live. But it's becoming tiresome now and I've really had enough. It's strange as hell watching someone talk about trans rights, women's rights, racial rights, religious rights etc. This utopia where everyone and everything gets on fine and we all agree on everything. Apart from the definition of a woman whilst arguing if she/they etc should be allowed to terminate a pregnancy...

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You think Jimbob decided to randomly write this out of nowhere? The email is a direct response to Bungie's hard-line company stance and them publicly antagonizing Pro-Life customers and fellow employees on Twitter.
Its wrong time, because this issue is much bigger than what people like him think it is.
The entire country is pissed off.
As CEO, you don't step on that landfill.

This what PR people for. They protect their clients from situations like these.

Jim decided to be a ceo for his new company. It backfired on him badly.

I think Jim was good at pissing Sony fans off initially with the push for PC. However I think those growing pains are almost over and people have accepted it. I personally don't want him fired because I'm not sure if someone else would have taken these same steps. Granted, now that it's been decided, I highly doubt anybody who replaces Jim would reverse the decision to couple with PC.

I don't particularly like Jim, but I don't think he should be fired. Ask me about a year and a half ago...I would have said yes.
After reading this thread, it appears "PC" is at the heart of this. But, it has nothing to do with computers.

bitbydeath

It was most people that were against abortion because of what it is. Abortion is a really hard sell for the general population, I'm not religious at all and I completely understand where people are coming from.
Eh, sperm could be claimed as living as well but with the repercussions we all know that’d never happen.

Nydius

Holy shit. How tone deaf can someone be?
How is telling employees to respect other's different opinions "tone deaf"? People are complex, they have differing opinions on critical issues. And Ryan is not there to reinforce any particular ideology or pander to any particular echo chamber.

Tone deaf are the people losing their shit over this and demanding he be fired. Interestingly, they're the same people who lost their shit over Elon Musk buying Twitter and being in favor of free speech and have now labeled him a far-right zealot who needs to be investigated and silenced. Notice a trend?

Last edited:

I never liked Jimbo and I think he handled some things pretty poorly (like pretending some games were not crossgen) but I think his decisions have been pretty good in retrospect.

The bet on crossgen was clearly the right move due to the lack of stock, he didn't follow MS lead with a Series S competitor, he didn't overcommit to his answer to Gamepass and I liked most of the acquisitions they made under him.

Last edited:

Reallink

Its wrong time, because this issue is much bigger than what people like him think it is.
The entire country is pissed off.
As CEO, you don't step on that landfill.

This what PR people for. They protect their clients from situations like these.

Jim decided to be a ceo for his new company. It backfired on him badly.

So the CEO's job is to let his subsidiaries tell customers they don't agree with not to buy their games, and speak for every employee as though it's a hive mind. Got it.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
How is telling employees to respect other's different opinions "tone deaf"? People are complex, they have differing opinions on critical issues. And Ryan is not there to reinforce any particular ideology or pander to any particular echo chamber.

Tone deaf are the people losing their shit over this and demanding he be fired. Interestingly, they're the same people who lost their shit over Elon Musk buying Twitter and being in favor of free speech and have now labeled him a far-right zealot who needs to be investigated and silenced. Notice a trend?
You said it. People are complex. Ryan apparently pissed off a ton of Sony employees with this email. Are you saying their feelings are not valid? Who are you to determine whose feelings are valid or not? Let people feel the way they want and you feel the way you want. Cool?

Rivet

Please without dwelling on the topic of his email, and discussing Jim Ryan performance as the SIE CEO and where he is taking PlayStation as a brand. Do you think he deserves to get sacked and get replaced with a younger more inline with the times CEO?

Sacked in the morning ?

Definitely. I could accept his views about abortion but Starfield being delayed was the last straw. Who's with me ?

Just kidding... Honestly he strikes me as a guy who's not perfectly fit for the job. I feel like he'll make more communication blunders like that if left alone. Plus, he has zero charisma. I suspect Sony will replace him soon, they don't like this kind of mess at all.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Out of curiosity, why is

So the CEO's job is to let his subsidiaries tell customers they don't agree with not to buy their games, and speak for every employee as though it's a hive mind. Got it.
You took it this the wrong way.
No matter what Jim says, both side will grill him.
He shouldn't have intervened with this matter, without his PR team in the 1st place.

Sometimes doing the right the things for your company, can make you look like a bad guy, in the eyes of consumers.

Last edited:
The Reeeee crowd is in meltdown. Based Jim Ryan this is amazing. Seeth more with hate degenerates.

Era when Jim Ryan says something perfectly reasonable: Meltdowns, insults, and out for blood.

Era when rappers get arrested for Rico charges and murder: Excuses being made, fuck the feds, calling for the murderers to be freed, they’re only targeted because they’re rappers.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Never like him but the timing for this thread....( and that will gow ragnarok wil be delayed bet thread ) hahaha....

( All that to avoid starfield from getting spotlight)

Keep doing it guys:messenger_waving:

Last edited:

FingerBang

People should stop judging a high level manager from how much people on social media like him and see at the results.

PlayStation as a brand has been going phenomenally well under Jim. So no, he's done great.
The actual fuck did I miss today? Jesus.
That thread is something else. Basically pages over pages of people insulting someone and that's ok because he didn't echo "the message".

The way the thing is discussed in the US is disgusting, from both sides. But the issue is bigger and I agree with Jim Ryan: That shit doesn't belong in a workplace.

The whole woke "silence is violence" is FORCING people to act like activists or be assumed to be on the other side. It's time to stop. Take activism of any kind out of companies. And fucking start firing those loud fucks. I hope Elon Musk can start doing that with the takeover. We need to de-wokeify tech.

kyoji

We have the stable, modern world we live in today because people are able to set aside religious, political, and cultural differences to work together and do business.

So yes, respecting differences of opinion is critical to business carrying on. And saying as much does not imply that someone is on a particular side of a wedge issue.
Yep! Whats alarming to me however is that this email came out today? And also ‘leaked’ to jason a known hit piece writer all in the same day… like i have so many questions for the person who leaked said email.

For starters what in your mind made you think leaking an internal email was the right choice thats not leaning toward either side of the fence to a hit piece writer without first going thru the proper channels such as HR or other means if you truely felt it was in poor taste… seems very sus tbh. Normally things get leaked to a media outlet after all other options have or are close to be exhausted.

kingfey

Banned
Never like him but the timing for this thread....( and wil gow ragnarok wil be delayed bet thread ) hahaha....

(To avoid starfield from getting spotlight)

Keep doing it guys:messenger_waving:
Look at era. They made this a huge news.
This isn't xbox vs PS. Starfield has nothing to do with this.

Like half the planet lives in China and India alone which both have widespread support for abortion.

It's not just an American thing... or some "twitter leftist" thing.. that's ridiculous.
China history with abortion is one of the most horrible things I've ever seen, wouldn't use that to support your point. But anyway, maybe I have the wrong impression an most people are into abortions, makes me sad.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

Exactly. He's a boss telling his employees to chill out and respect one another. You don't have to like the other person's stance but you are expected to conduct yourself in a professional way. No one at Sony is writing US legislation on the topic and people need to get over this idea that someone holding even a single belief that stands contrary to theirs somehow makes them a horrible person who needs to be removed from everything.

Now, as far as how he went about this... well. We all know Jim has brain farts when it comes to how he presents things.

Oh man. Here's a lovely one going on in the UK at the moment.

There's a company where a Muslim man and a lesbian couple are trying to sue each other because we can't figure out whos rights trump each others.

The lesbian couple feel they've been discriminated against because the Muslim employee didn't appear to be supportive of their publicly open relationship in the workplace and their decision to get married. The Muslim man, who hasn't actually said or done anything in particular to the couple was reported to HR by the couple because of his lack of "empathy and understanding." The muslim man was very polite and responded by saying that he had no issue being nice and polite to them but his religion teaches that it's wrong and whilst he believes in his religions teachings, he didn't feel the need to harm or upset the woman in question. Nor did he feel the need to be uncomfortably enthusiastic about the whole thing. He just kind of got on with his job and maintained a good working relationship.

I only know this because a close friend of mine works for an independent HR company and given both employees have over 5 year service it's going to get really fucking messy. Not sure if it'll reach the papers or media. And I haven't been told their names or the company in question, just the rough outline as the company question their rights in this matter.

So, do you support the lesbian couple for feeling discriminated against? Do you support the Muslim man who's religion teaches him that homosexuality is wrong? Or considering there's no evidence of a "hate crime" other than perceived feelings, can we not just get on with our lives like good colleagues?

Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What exactly are some people upset about? Is it specifically the letter's neutral stance on abortion (I hope not) or the fact that he tact on levity to an email that discusses such a sensitive and divisive subject by discussing his pets and their birthdays?

Would be nice to have additional context because on surface level this all seems weird. For example, were there workplace conflicts between Sony employees stemming from recent Supreme Court abortion news or did Jim blast this email out of the blue?

You said it. People are complex. Ryan apparently pissed off a ton of Sony employees with this email. Are you saying their feelings are not valid? Who are you to determine whose feelings are valid or not? Let people feel the way they want and you feel the way you want. Cool?
You literally just said the same thing Jim Ryan said to support an apparent argument against what Jim Ryan said. I'm confused.

kingfey

Banned
Well done saying Jim Ryan message 👏

Last I checked they were people though, not sure what "point" you think I'm making.
I don't know how you are able to tell what Chinese people think when they live under such an oppressively government that saw abortion as a way to control the population growth.

Abortion when the sex was consensual and for non-medical reasons just seems like a vile way to deal with the "problem" regardless if it's technically murder or not. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, doesn't make sense to me to be surprised you are pregnant after you had sex.

Last edited:
I think the argument is that some things aren't up for debate. Like saying you should respect differences of opinion on slavery, Russia / Ukraine or interracial marriage.

First time the Supreme Court has lessened peoples rights instead of expand it. The Handmaid Tale, turning women into forced incubators.

I think its "civil," but I can understand why people are not thrilled about his ststatements. To comment on an issue this divisive with stories of his pets just kind of comes across as totally callous and moronic.

SLB1904

Banned
Who's going to sack him? The Japanese?
I think the argument is that some things aren't up for debate. Like saying you should respect differences of opinion on slavery, Russia / Ukraine or interracial marriage.

First time the Supreme Court has lessened peoples rights instead of expand it. The Handmaid Tale, turning women into forced incubators.

I think its "civil," but I can understand why people are not thrilled about his ststatements. To comment on an issue this divisive with stories of his pets just kind of comes across as totally callous and moronic.

I really wanna see this email tbh. Shit makes no sense at all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom